• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

You know you're an Intp when...

Kokoro

Local time
Today 12:30 PM
-->
When you love and frequently use the "define: (word)" function in google, or an equivalent.

You sit in your room hoping family members won't call you to come meet their friends. They inevitably do and after a few curt greetings you look for an excuse to leave the room or move away from the people present (I go to the toilet when I don't actually have to go, get myself a drink in the kitchen or just walk into another room and pretend I was doing something in there if someone comes to investigate). Eventually you think enough time has passed for you to safely make your way back to your room.

I do the exact same thing from time to time. I didn't really realize how bad that is until reading it written down just now. That is something that I need to work on. Perhaps you as well? Good one though!

ckm

still swimming
Local time
Today 5:30 PM
-->
When the highlight of a night of drinking is finding someone who knows who Plato and Jung are.

Malt

Local time
Tomorrow 12:30 AM
-->
I do the exact same thing from time to time. I didn't really realize how bad that is until reading it written down just now. That is something that I need to work on. Perhaps you as well? Good one though!

I don't feel the need to change. I do it because I am not interested in their small talk. The flipside to this behaviour though is that if I overhear them talking about an interesting topic I will go out of my way to say hello and then immediately dive into the discussion with my 2c.

When the highlight of a night of drinking is finding someone who knows who Plato and Jung are.

I am the same, I crave intellectual discussion even when drunk. I had an impromptu discussion on the ideas of race, racisim and crime in the middle of my friends kitchen a couple weeks back when he was having his 20th. I don't enjoy raves and clubs where you have to shout short sentances just to communicate. I prefer a quiet pub where I can sit with my friends and talk about my latest discovery or topics I find interesting.

Vatroslav

the Void
Local time
-->
When you have an idea about having an idea that you are mentally ill until you were seven years old, and that your whole school and out-of-school life is only a simulation of your normality, a great conspiracy created by your parents in order to make your life perfect, or at least to seem so... and then you find it actually fun....

JoyRide

Redshirt
Local time
-->
"The Truman Show" made you question the motivations of everyone you knew and whether you were the star of your own Truman Show and the movie was a sneaky way of some protestor trying to alert you to the fact.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 6:30 PM
-->
- You find the common use of the phrase 'In theory...' objectionable.

Monte

Redshirt
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when...

You've made it to page fourteen... or fifteen, you can't remember and don't want to simply go back a page to check, but have so many ideas buzzing around your head that you just have to post.

You kept getting amazing ideas, forgot them, so you FINALLY ( after seeing it suggested a billion times ) write them down.

Luckily, pencil and paper were already nearby... otherwise that wouldn't have happened.

You frequent this site, but it wasn't until seeing this that you made an account and this was your first posts.

You're mother would scream at you as a child, but she would say "YOU AIN'T SUPPOSE TO BEING DOING THAT!" and you would correct her by saying "While 'ain't' isn't completely incorrect, 'aren't' makes you sound like less of a heathen.

You enjoy calling people heathens.

And plebeians.

You agree with 98% of what's been said, but you're sure someone you know has just gathered a group of their friends, they all made accounts, and they're all posting these things to make you feel like there are others like you, but it's all just a big joke to make you look like an idiot.

You're on to them.

Irritation boils in your core when someone repeatedly asks you what's wrong, despite you telling them 'nothing, I'm just thinking'.

You don't have to tell someone how you're feeling, should you be feeling, you're music says it for you.

Everything has a loophole. Everything.

You become frustrated when small-minded people won't expand their minds. Then question why you're feeling such an irrational emotion, they're stupid. Their minds can't expand... but what if?

You really don't know the meaning of a word 100% but you use it anyway, look it up later, and realize that you've been using it right. You're a fucking genius.

You learn the hard way that just because people say they want you to be honest... doesn't mean that they want you to be honest.

You would love to have kids with multiple people JUST to see what they would look like.

You doubt the ability of yourself and otherwise too much to lead, but want to punch the jerk off who thinks they can boss your around in the face, but you wouldn't get physical. That would mean that you would have to be physical. So instead your focus a glare on them when they aren't paying attention - they will begin to both feel and hear a light insistent buzzing that will become louder and stronger until... "Huh? Oh, no. I didn't catch any of that... sorry."

You come up with your own complex rules for something extremely simple. ( When I play solitaire, the only way I can win is if i get all four decks lined up without having put ANY cards onto any of the aces ).

Question whether you should even post this or not...

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
You are an INTP if you listen to someone and it goes way over your head. So you ask them to explain and they say, "A, B and C." You don't know what they mean so you ask them to define, A, B and C. When they patiently tell you A = D, E and F; B = G, H and I; C = J, K and L, you are completely swamped. You can't remember what B was so you ask them for B again. By this time they grow impatient. They tell you you are a complete idiot. You react by slumping in a corner. You vow never to talk to anyone again.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
YKYAINTP...

When you constantly say 'or is that just me?'
Or has this one already been posted?

When all of your friends call you weird.

When you analyze all of your friends.

When you believe 'honesty is the best policy'.

When you lose track of time very easily.
(Especially when doing homework)

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
Get out of my head Monte and Mary. ;)

Hehehe..
My friend told me to get out of her head just yesterday, said I shouldn't say what she was about to say right before she said it.
(INTJ, although kinda in between being J/P)

YKYAINTPW..

~You have a sense of humor no one else seems to share, often bursting out laughing at a 'joke' that was never intended to be funny.

~You piss off your teachers by constantly pointing out their grammar/spelling mistakes on a test, only to hear them say the old "I teach _______, not ENGLISH CLASS" line.

~Your teachers ignore your patiently raised hand when they are asking questions. (Especially annoying if you've got to go potty) ;)

~You often get caught up in imagining some amazing project, only to realize how much time and effort you would expend on said project and giving up.

~You enjoy lurking on other personality forums and laughing at how odd everyone else is. (This may be just me, I'm not sure about the rest of you)

~You do/say something, and everyone stares at you. You say, "What, you've never heard of ________ before?" and no one knows what you're talking about.

Monte

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Get out of my head Monte and Mary. ;)

Never!

I believe that this needs repeating.

Yeah, I really did learn that the hard way... actually, it was kind of fun. A very materialistic, attention-whoring, whiny "friend" of mine asked me my opinion of her in front of the entire class in an attempt to prove that no one thought lowly of her.

We are no longer "friends". :)

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm with you Mary. eom.

Lithorn

Local time
Today 11:30 AM
-->
When you can't read mystery novels because inevitably, the only thing that's mysterious to you is why the characters haven't solved the mystery yet. You knew from page 2!

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
You are an INTP if you listen to someone and it goes way over your head. So you ask them to explain and they say, "A, B and C." You don't know what they mean so you ask them to define, A, B and C. When they patiently tell you A = D, E and F; B = G, H and I; C = J, K and L, you are completely swamped. You can't remember what B was so you ask them for B again. By this time they grow impatient. They tell you you are a complete idiot. You react by slumping in a corner. You vow never to talk to anyone again.

You know you're an INTP when you give people examples like this one.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 9:30 AM
-->
...When a person says something that you know to be inaccurate. After listening to them speak, you get an understanding of their logic they are using and what level of understanding they have on the subject. Then you play out the conversation with them in your mind, and decide not to speak up after all when you realize the energy your will have to expend lecturing this person, and deconstructing their current inferior model is not worth the outcome.

... When you actually calibrate how much attention you are going to give a person talking to you based on how interesting they are.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
U always get shouted "STFU" before u complete a statement , (sorry if i m making grammar mistakes .... )

feeling great when u first discover this thread , and feel nauseated after 10th page XD
Welcome to the forum! Good first post...

I was hanging out with an INTP & ENFP couple this weekend. We had just had some disagreements and all agreed to try to be nicer to eachother. About 5 minutes later in the car ride the INTP is talking and the ENFP says "Shut up! Shut uppp!" And then I come in after less than a minute and was like "Hey, ENFP, I thought we were going to be nice? And not say shut up?"
ENFP: "What? I didn't say shut up."
me: -_-

in conclusion:
You know you're an INTP when everybody else seems crazy, and everybody else thinks that you're crazy!

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

When you have Jung, Plato and Nietzsche on your iPod :smoker:

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
Yeah, I really did learn that the hard way... actually, it was kind of fun. A very materialistic, attention-whoring, whiny "friend" of mine asked me my opinion of her in front of the entire class in an attempt to prove that no one thought lowly of her.

We are no longer "friends". :)

Good times. I've had to "learn" (or instigate?) this the hard way several times. It's really funny how people get so worked up over what another person thinks.

Honesty is always the best policy.

-When you try to explain something and it all comes out in fragments, all at the same time too! I really wish somebody would figure out telepathy already.

Causeless

Local time
-->
You learn the hard way that just because people say they want you to be honest... doesn't mean that they want you to be honest.

Wait, they WANT you to lie to them when they say that?

Now I'm really confused. :confused:

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
... when you press the button to open your garage door and the wickedly powerful spring on the garage door opener rips loose from its fastenings with a groan and a whoosh and ricochets around the garage breaking things while you stand there watching, and you find yourself thinking "Isn't that interesting?" instead of ducking ....

I do hate those things. Rather work with black powder than do this repair.

Also hate whoever saved 49 cents by using a cheap bolt instead of one that would actually last more than five years.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
You are an INTP when you come up with an elaborate assassination plot for the guy who saved 49 cents by using a cheap bolt instead of one that would actually last more than five years...

...then have an internal struggle over whether this assassination is morally justified

...then broaden the terms to ask whether any assassinations are morally justified

...then deciding to conclude whether it matters if something is morally justified

...then deciding what you really need is a good definition of "moral"

...then you wonder if the semantics of the argument are really that important

...then you have a Descartes moment and decide it's all relative

...then you remember how much you hated that "it's all relevant" cop-out idea

... and then you realize your english paper is due in 2 minutes. damn.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
You are an INTP when you come up with an elaborate assassination plot for the guy who saved 49 cents by using a cheap bolt instead of one that would actually last more than five years...

...then have an internal struggle over whether this assassination is morally justified

...then broaden the terms to ask whether any assassinations are morally justified

...then deciding to conclude whether it matters if something is morally justified

...then deciding what you really need is a good definition of "moral"

...then you wonder if the semantics of the argument are really that important

...then you have a Descartes moment and decide it's all relative

...then you remember how much you hated that "it's all relevant" cop-out idea

... and then you realize your english paper is due in 2 minutes. damn.

SUCCESS.

Hehehe

Especially the last part.

transformers

Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when you have no fixed opinions on anything. One moment you'll believe and argue a certain point strongly, the next moment you'll switch sides and argue the opposite point. And this comes naturally to you.

JohnnyBravo

Newbie S***
Local time
-->
~You enjoy lurking on other personality forums and laughing at how odd everyone else is. (This may be just me, I'm not sure about the rest of you)

Nope. I stumbled into this forum two days ago and have been "lurking" ever since, Yet this is only my third post.

You Know you're an INTP when you'll waste the better part of two days reading the ramblings of strangers and adding next to nothing yourself.:slashnew:

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->

Nope. I stumbled into this forum two days ago and have been "lurking" ever since, Yet this is only my third post.

You Know you're an INTP when you'll waste the better part of two days reading the ramblings of strangers and adding next to nothing yourself.:slashnew:

Hehehe.
I lurked for 1 day, then gave up and just posted. :D

Deleted member 1424

After spending a week in constant company you feel lonelier than if you had spent that week in isolation.

Lithorn

Local time
-->
When you're not absolutely horrified by the idea of spending two days in the forest alone with a few rolls of bread, a book and a pen (check out the "what did i do" thread in human relationships).
Sounds like heaven to me, but somehow I doubt most people would agree.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
When you're not absolutely horrified by the idea of spending two days in the forest alone with a few rolls of bread, a book and a pen (check out the "what did i do" thread in human relationships).

It sounds like an adventure!
Provided the reaction when he got home didn't happen..

And provided it's not cold/rainy/uncomfortable.
Then I'd fly somewhere nice, with a few rolls of bread, a book, and a pen and hide out in a forest. :)

Emil

Absent-minded Professor
Local time
Today 10:00 PM
-->
When you wish you could ignore the ringing phone.

When check your answers again and again, because you always feel you might have made a mistake. :confused:

[Already posted? Sorry.]

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->

Cheshire Cat

You think you know anything? I know differently.
Local time
-->
117. When you have the most brilliant response, but then forget it seconds before posting it.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 4:30 PM
-->
Question:

Can one of the mods clean up the original post of this thread?

I keep trying to edit it, and forgetting that doing so is impossible, and to be honest the amount of mistakes in it is somewhat embarassing..

Please?:)

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
Question:

Can one of the mods clean up the original post of this thread?

I keep trying to edit it, and forgetting that doing so is impossible, and to be honest the amount of mistakes in it is somewhat embarassing..

Please?:)

Don't do it! Make Melkore suffer eternally for the mistakes made!

Plus:

its-a-trap.jpg

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 4:30 PM
-->
Oh garsh.
That has to be the most evile picture I've ever seen!:D

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 6:30 PM
-->
- When you're in a chemistry class and you come up with the riddle 'What do holes in the ozone layer have in common with carpentry jobs?', which you still think is brilliant.

- When your riddles are so awesome you don't remember what the chemistry teacher said the latter half of the lesson.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
You know you are an INTP when your 'J' father tells you to get a grip on reality and you patiently reply with a lecture on how reality does not really exsist and getting a grip on it would be impossible. Your father then walks away muttering "Where did I go wrong?":smoker:

Anling

Local time
Today 10:30 AM
-->
-When you try to explain something and it all comes out in fragments, all at the same time too! I really wish somebody would figure out telepathy already.

Yes. If I could just project the whole concept right into somebody's head, life would be much easier.

Of course that would open up all sorts of new communication problems of its own. I wonder how arguments would go if relating pure concepts instead of words and how long in would take a person to sort out the instant data dump before actually understanding what was communicated.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->

I did that once. As I recall it was alot of fun.

acebrock

Deadshirt
Local time
-->
...You read this whole thread in one sitting.

...You become convinced that you can actually talk some sense into someone advocating a theory which has NO basis in scientific fact, and profiting from it (That means you Jenny McCarthy)

...You can turn a nigh incoherent dream into a nigh coherent story in the space of an hour

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
-In the middle of class you consider the probability of having deja vu about another deja vu. "I think I've thought about myself thinking about this before" (I'm probably not being coherent)

- Pondering the fact that I can imagine a picture while listening to music yet find it hard to do the opposite.

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
You know you are an INTP when:

You have ever worn the same outfit more than two days in a row and didn't even notice untill a coworker/friend/family member said somthing.

You then looK at said coworker/friend/family member with a confused look and say "What? Is somthing wrong with it?"

Or is that just me?:eek:

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
-->
You didn't know there was anyone else like you before you found this forum.

You didn't even know what Myers-Briggs types were three days ago, but this forum is already at the top of your favorites list.

You think this thread is a better description of INTPs than the ones at Keirsey.com or INTP.org.

After reading the first page you skipped to the back to see if the last poster had compiled a comprehensive list yet (you know, to save time), and seeing that they haven't you're now planning to do it yourself, but realize you probably won't get around to it.

You can't be bothered to actually compile the list right now because you're simultaneously posting on two other forums, reading four different news websites, and trying to learn Dreamweaver, Unity and FL Studio 9 at the same time. You also feel guilty that you're no longer practicing the Spanish, Hindi and Dutch that you were obsessed with a month ago.

You already feel more comraderie with the people on this forum than you do with anyone you've ever known IRL, including family and long-time friends.

Sorry if I duplicated anyone elses. Its great to meet you people!

Melllvar

Banned
Local time
-->
...when you don't know whether or not you're an INTP.

... the inherent contradiction in that caused it to be barely understandable to you.

... you spent several minutes suspiciously wondering whether someone was accusing you of not being a true INTP, but just mistaking yourself for one. You eventually decided you have better things to think about.

Top Bottom