• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

You know you're an Intp when...

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 2:25 PM
-->
...when you've got to think of these things. You cycle through them all over again and they drive you crazy cuz none of them gets finished.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
In this case we can't be sure this guy is an INTP, can we? Do you think so?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincaré_conjecture

s-RUSSIA-large.jpg

Dr Grigori Perelman, a reclusive Russian genius, is refusing to accept the prestigious $1 million "Millennium" mathematics prize awarded by the Clay Mathematics Institute in Cambridge, MA.
Perelman was awarded the prize for solving the one-hundred-year-old Poincaré conjecture, one of the most complicated mathematical problems in the world - so complex, in fact, that after Perelman posted his proofs in 2002 it took several years for other experts to confirm he was correct.
Now Perelman's refusal to accept the prize - the second prestigious prize he has refused - has led some to examine his unorthodox life and dub him "Mathsputin."
The 44-year-old Perelman currently resides with his mother and sister in his hometown of St. Petersberg, living extremely humbly. One neighbor told a Moscow newspaper, "He always wears the same tatty coat and trousers. He never cuts his nails or beard. When he walks he simply stares at the ground, rather than looking from side to side."
Another neighbor told of a time she had visited Perelman's apartment due to problems with cockroaches.
"I was once in his flat and I was astounded," she said. "He only has a table, a stool and a bed with a dirty mattress which was left by previous owners -- alcoholics who sold the flat to him."
After performing some teaching in American universities in 2003, Perelman has apparently given up on mathematics, dismayed at the intellectual and moral failings of his peers. Instead, according to reports, he likes to play table tennis against a wall in his apartment. "You are disturbing me. I am picking mushrooms," he told a journalist who managed to get in touch with him.

A number of appeals have been made to Perelman to accept the prize and give the money to charity. "Each suffering child and each mother entangled in circumstances of her life could receive help," wrote the chairwoman of one Russian children's charity.

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 8:25 PM
-->
- When a novel sentence structure gets you excited.

Starfruit M.E.

Goes by M.E., NOT Star.
Local time
-->
You've always dreamed of rewritting the constitution of your country and redoing the whole structure of the government to work at maximum efficiency, but you've never gotten around to it.

shadowdrums4

wierd drummer kid
Local time
-->
When you try to have a discussion that at first is deep and somewhat meaningful and then turns to nothing because of the other person and you become disappointed and decide the person was not that interesting to begin with.

When someone says "How can we be friends when you're so smart and I'm so dumb" and you reply that there are no smart/dumb people and that you are not smart just talking about something interesting that you took the time to learn about only to get the response "That was where you were supposed to tell me I was smart" Ugh is that some rule of social protocol?

feynman11

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:25 PM
-->
You've always dreamed of rewritting the constitution of your country and redoing the whole structure of the government to work at maximum efficiency, but you've never gotten around to it.

This has happened to me, but in my case it concerned my high school because I internally rebelled against the rules in the student handbook. Then I gave up on my law-making endeavour deciding that the time and effort wasn't worth it. I'm not entirely sure myself whether it would have worked out in practice as it did in my head.

Back to the thread topic:

You know you're an INTP when you rewrite LOST's fifth season based on some glaring miscontinuity you've seen in an episode linking to another episode where the stated continuity had now been rendered moot by the miscontinuity presented in the later episode. But as you perfect your own version in the quest to be coherent and continuous, you find out you've only complicated things more by introducing plotlines even more convoluted than the plot you planned to rewrite because of those thoughts of "wouldn't it be cool if X and Y meet C and F at event H and at time U, only for character S to realize that it was them meeting their future son in the past only to come to the further realization that it is all part of V's plan to ensure utter chaos and the end of the world if D does not reveal that he is the half-brother of……?" etc, etc…

You know you're an INTP when you doubt whether the above example warrants INTPness.

As an afterthought, I'm new here. :D

The Frood

knows where his towel is
Local time
Today 11:25 AM
-->
.... you copy-paste all the interesting posts from this thread (among others), and chats with friends into word documents to peruse later. while the documents steadily grow you don't re-read them.

welcome feynman11 :)

RedLoki

Awesomeness
Local time
-->
- You frantically look for your lost pencil after daydreaming only to realize it's still in your mouth
- You rather use a pencil than a pen.
- You know you're a Mentat.
- If you like someone of the opposite sex, you will analyze everything that happened in any interaction with them afterward down to every possible detail to figure out how it went. Deep down inside you know it's absolutely useless because it has never worked before.
- Once you figure out the person you like, you grow bored of them.

transformers

Local time
Today 7:25 PM
-->
When you have about 5 different windows and 10 tabs open in firefox at any one time (or is that just me?)

semicolon

Naive
Local time
-->
When you have about 5 different windows and 10 tabs open in firefox at any one time (or is that just me?)

When you *can't* use somebody else's computer just because their Firefox doesn't have the right add-ons installed (no Tab Kit or AdBlock Plus! Panic! :eek:) and their taskbar is not set to at least 3 taskbar buttons high like yours. :storks:

RedLoki

Awesomeness
Local time
-->
And then you suggest all the great add-ons they could be using, how it could improve their lives, how efficient is it, why they absolutely need it, etc... and they just stare at you blankly

BornUpsideDown

Redshirt
Local time
-->
:king-twitter:

24. You understand the meaning of this sentence without the aid of a dictionary.

#N You understand that theoretically, no one on this board has ESP ... ;)

#N+1 you appreciate Deutsch grammatical structure because if a person has any desire to know what the full meaning of a sentence is, they can't interrupt you.

59. When asked a stupid question you must give a stupid answer.

#N+2 You feel a little bit sad after 59, because you received neither a laugh nor the satisfaction of having any significant impact on the highly desired but improbable determent of such questions being asked in the future.

#N+3 You stop to consider the order, format, and general structure of your multi-quote reply (featuring elements you considered "difficult" to group).

#N+4 You wonder what it would be like to be a brain (and eyeballs) in a jar looking at yourself in a mirror.

#N+5 You narrate moments in your life (as they happen) from the third person perspective.

#N+6 "Context" is your favorite word

#N+7 You almost had to reply to the suggestion of compiling a list of these characteristics because there would have to be versions and ...

#N+8 the only natural position for such a list would be at post zero, not somewhere between two arbitrary contributions/posts.

#N+9 you lost interest in the opposite sex for about two months, because after writing a program that demonstrated an AI breeding proof-of-concept, you couldn't see people as anything more than bio-mechanical novelties.

#N+10 N+9 is how you came to be agnostic.

#N+11 You've lost points on essays for over-usage (moderate by my standards) of parenthesis, long (albeit not run-on) sentences, and too much opinion (however well-formed).

60. You think an 85% loss in global population is a worthwhile price for some peace & quiet.

kills me.

BornUpsideDown

Redshirt
Local time
-->
This s/b bumped to the You know you're an asshole when... thread. Doesn't really belong here.

Actually, that is quite characteristic of an INTP at wit's end. The I indicates that an INTP expends energy interacting with people. I know that when I have about 5 or 6 days of non-stop interaction (to the point I feel I can't take a shit without receiving a phone call or text message), I get ~really~ irritable, too. Deliberating killing the general mood is our natural way of squelching the possibility of our further discomfort. To do such makes us an asshole, indeed, but if I'm correctly assuming the omitted motivation for said acts, then I empathize completely.

Psychotic But Cute

Avalible in a store near you.
Local time
-->
when you bookmark the page you're at in the "You know you're an INTP when..." thread because you really want to read through all of it but you've already been at it for hours and you have to move on for a bit...

Yes and yes, I've been forcing myself not to post until I get to the end.

anyway, you're an INTP when you have to write a "personal essay" for english, complain about how stupid it is and what a retarded power play the teacher is making, and still manage to end up writing 30 pages about yourself without even meaning to, and feel like a douchebag for it and subsequently consider not handing it in even though you worked for hours on it.

I've done that multiple times, once for confirmation when I had to write about why I wanted to be confirmed. I was a little too mad at having to write the stupid thing to feel bad about it.

"The Truman Show" made you question the motivations of everyone you knew and whether you were the star of your own Truman Show and the movie was a sneaky way of some protestor trying to alert you to the fact.

I've have a long, elaborate conversation with someone about this. I was left feeling distinctly paranoid.

-when you get increasingly frustrated with to, too, and two because you never use the right one the first time around.

-you set your alarm specifically to do work that you didn't finish the night before, only when you wake up you end up not doing any of the work you intended to do.

-when you feel obligated to ask if someone is all right, you can't help but feel a bit awkward when they tell you how they're feeling, because you're not sure how to deal with that

-when people ask you what you want for Christmas/your Birthday/celebratory event you don't answer (either because you don't have one or because what you want is way too expensive)

-when living in the wild for the rest of your life seems like a good idea.... until you realize you wouldn't have access to the internet

-when your one true love is your cat

-you get disheartened by the human race and their petty squabbles. So he doesn't agree with you, get over it or try and see it from his perspective.

-you didn't realize how long your post was until you actually submitted it

Cosmos_warbler

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 3:25 AM
-->
117. You think you're no good, but think that other people are worse.
118. You think others are great, but think that you are much better
119. you try to analyze(add,subtract, multiply, divide...) numbers even when they are phone numbers:)

onthewindowstand

Local time
Today 12:25 PM
-->
120. Can walk into a room full of philosophy professors and sound like one of the homeboys... LOL

RedLoki

Awesomeness
Local time
-->
"when your one true love is your cat"

It's so sad, but so true. I can't say I truly care about the well being of many people I know, but my cat? He was missing for 2 days and I spent hours looking for him.

LifeLine

Local time
-->
-When you lose every pen you own.
- Don't play politics
- Can go a week without talking to anyone

Causeless

Local time
-->
-You find yourself incapable of using a dresser.

Psychotic But Cute

Local time
-->
-when you cannot think of a life without your computer

RedLoki

Awesomeness
Local time
-->
You've lost faith in humanity more than twice

SoLongNThanks

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:25 PM
-->
...you think you know very little about a specific subject but realize there are self-appointed experts in that field that know less than you do

...the number of typos and mis-spellings in the forum dedicated to your personality type is amazingly low

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You wish it was the future already.

Your imagination is always far more interesting than anything happening in reality.

You officially lost all hope for the human race when someone told you that Scientology is based on science.

You know hundreds of -isms, psychological disorders, and mythological figures thanks to Wikipedia.

You think of your self as an observer; not a participant.

You wish the Christians would come up with more intelligent arguments instead of bombarding you sob stories and circular reasoning.

Haha, so true! Specially the one about Christians.

nim

starquaker.
Local time
-->
Monday through Friday, you go from dorm room to class to dining hall to library to dorm room. Saturdays and Sundays vary only in that you don't have classes.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
119. you try to analyze(add,subtract, multiply, divide...) numbers even when they are phone numbers:)

My number for state exams almost two years ago was 34771: 3+4=7;÷7=1. I'll never forget it.

When imagining your ultimate Pokémon team is more fun than making it or having it.

Psychotic But Cute

Local time
-->
*you find out your twin brother is also an INTP (doesn't necessarily fit but I just found out AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!)

you can't seem to NOT make fun of Christians; really, they're just a perfect scapegoat (for us)

you say 'I hate you' or 'This is stupid' and immediately following 'Actually, I don't it's just....' (i.e. Actually, I don't hate you, I'm just frustrated at your ignorance and wish you would look at the facts instead of saying what everyone else is saying, especially since they, as a whole, are wrong.) Yes, I actually do this.

you edit your post multiple times because you don't want to double post, but you just thought of something.

YourNewRuler

Meanwhile....
Local time
-->
*you find out your twin brother is also an INTP (doesn't necessarily fit but I just found out AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!)
Nice for you to talk about me Catie! Oh and a heads up, I joined the forum, obviously.

But for on-topicnesses-sake:

When you try for four hours to beat this game

asmit127

Local time
-->
Welcome to the forum :)

That game is evil but it looks doable - I can see myself wasting some hours :(

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Does anyone ever feel like they can almost visualize music? I can only describe it as a sort of graphic equalizer in my head.

It's a bit like this actually

YouTube- Giant Steps

Is this an INTP thing?

I'm crazy right? :phear:

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Does anyone ever feel like they can almost visualize music? I can only describe it as a sort of graphic equalizer in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU
Is this an INTP thing?

Oh shit, you too?

I actually can, It's nothing like your youtube video, but I can see the colors of tones, and the texture of timbre in my minds eye. It is kind of like a multicolored Osciliscope only the waves are more full, and layered in 3 dimentions.

YourNewRuler

Meanwhile....
Local time
-->
When you try to figure out how to open a can without using your arms.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 9:25 PM
-->
^How? I could use my feet or speech of course but you have something specific in mind?

Interesting Groudon by the way. cough..Who is Freeman? Half life?

Alice?

Local time
-->

YouTube- Giant Steps

Is this an INTP thing?

I do a bit of this as well, although it's more abstract than the video shows. Colors sort of flow through the song. I wonder if it's a manifestation of slight synesthesia.

YourNewRuler

Meanwhile....
Local time
-->
^How? I could use my feet or speech of course but you have something specific in mind?

Interesting Groudon by the way. cough..Who is Freeman? Half life?

Yah, its like "Gordon Freeman" but its "Groudon Freeman"

You can tell by the crowbar.

ANYWAYS

You know your INTP when you come to the conclusion eating takes too long, and decide to combine all your food items into one (EX: Lunch: Peanut butter sandwich, yogurt, crackers = Peanut Yogert sandwich with crackers stuffed in it)

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I do a bit of this as well, although it's more abstract than the video shows. Colors sort of flow through the song. I wonder if it's a manifestation of slight synesthesia.

That makes sense actually. Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia entry, that defines it very well.

Sound often changes the perceived hue, brightness, scintillation, and directional movement. Some individuals see music on a "screen" in front of their face. Deni Simon, for whom music produces waving lines "like oscilloscope configurations—lines moving in color, often metallic with height, width and, most importantly, depth. My favorite music has lines that extend horizontally beyond the 'screen' area.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
Oh shit, you too?

I actually can, It's nothing like your youtube video, but I can see the colors of tones, and the texture of timbre in my minds eye. It is kind of like a multicolored Osciliscope only the waves are more full, and layered in 3 dimentions.

I kinda have this, but music is more like an actual drawing to me. I can visualize the piece of music in my head, the whole song compressed. I have lots of fun drawing my favorite songs. :)

Causeless

Local time
-->
- When minutes after discovering you can shoot frilled toothpicks out of a straw, you've twisty-tied a quiver and have a second barrel planned as your next project.

WeAreTheStrange

shoryuken!
Local time
-->
You read through 19 pages of an intpforum thread in one sitting and end up wanting more.

WeAreTheStrange

shoryuken!
Local time
-->
when you spin a pen or book up in the air, try to catch it, and fail epically.

i've done that so much that i'm actually good at it now.:cool:

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
-->
When the second you discover you are an INTP you go through great lengths to find out everything about what an INTP is, what a jungian typology is, get as many opposing viewpoints as you can to judge the validity of these typologies, then go and research all of the other types too, until you have 4 safari windows and innumerable tabs open, you have joined three different forums, have ignored six texts from your girlfriend, and you forgot what you were doing when you first took the stupid personality test in the first place.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
- Cringes when your professor uses the word "Irregardless".
- My teacher often assumes I'm not paying attention when I stare into space. It's very aggravating.
- Has a list of words, I'm trying to learn and use.

Psychotic But Cute

Local time
-->
-You learned words as you read them, so you often mispronounce things, which makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about, though you actually do.

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
-->
-You learned words as you read them, so you often mispronounce things, which makes you seem like you don't know what you're talking about, though you actually do.

ahh so true

Top Bottom