• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your username

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 1:58 PM
-->
I guess this thread is just about your username, and why you chose it...just a small explanation, I suppose, for curiosity's sake.

Uh, I'll start. My handle is based off of Jaco Pastorius, who was a bassist that played for the jazz group Weather Report. I thought his name sounded pretty cool, and so I threw in an "i" to change it a bit...hence, Jaico.

How about yours?

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:28 PM
-->
My surname is Coghill, and on the internet I used to just abbreviate it to Cog, then I got bored with that and mixed it up with Beowulf to get Cogwulf. It's also partly because I like wolves

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 10:28 AM
-->
My name comes from my initial jumping into computer gaming, namely counterstrike. Archpaladin has always been my roleplay name, but it never really fit while I was playing FPS's, so I named myself based on my play style.

I had trouble discerning which uniform was which, and which team I was starting on often times, in CS, so more often than not I'd end up killing both friendlies and enemies. If it moved when I came around a corner, I shot. That, and my shooting wasn't entirely accurate, it was mostly a spray-n-pray style. It was a fairly deserving nickname really :P

I also played with fire a bit, which contributed to the idea. I rather regularly held firework wars out at my place too, and usually was the most extravagant / eccentric with my usage of the fireworks ^_^.

Edit: The 159 is just an easy pattern on the numpad. No real significance. Other than, I'll kill you 159 times before you kill me. Y'know. 'Cuz I'm that good. *coughs* *shifty eyes*

Local time
-->
guess, go on, guess....

nah, i just skitted an english assignment. i actually titled the essay i was procrastinating when i first came here 'Seducing the Homeless', sounded cool at the time

Artifice Orisit

Cognisant
The alternative spelling of cognizant
e.g. The defendant is cognizant that this is a serious charge.

It's an obscure word that just happens to make a great name, there's also other reasons like (cog = machine component) and the word's meaning of course.

I've also gone by: Zrantos, Venidear, Lucius and... *sigh* Councilor.

That last one was on xbox live, I was playing Halo 2 at the time and being a fan of the aliens I decided to name myself after the ones in white armour & the xenomorph-queen-like ceremonial helmets. Well naturally everyone misread it as "Counsellor" and mocked me for it... at first anyway :D

didyouknow

Local time
Tomorrow 2:28 AM
-->
My friends noticed that I said "Did you know..." a lot when I was 'spouting random facts'. Usually ended with a patronizing pat on the shoulder and me glaring at them. What nice friends I have.

Anyway, I decided to use that as a username because I thought it vaguely described an aspect of myself. That and I couldn't be bothered thinking of something else.

Sarcoidosis

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I heard this word on House and thought it would make me seem cool and smart.

nickgray

Local time
Today 8:28 PM
-->
The English version of my name + Gray, from Oscar's "The Picture of Dorian Gray".

Morel Panic

Revenant
Local time
Today 11:28 AM
-->
My actual first name is Morel (prononced More-ell), but "Morel Panic" is an anagram.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
I had a parrot. It died. I inherited the name. (I put more thought in naming the parrot than in choosing a nick)

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
^ Lolz.

Ummm, at one point in time I decided my two favorite words in the english language were flow and euphoria, and I started creating the name floweuphoria on various sites. Here at INTPforum the name flow wasn't yet taken, so I just went with that. I also have flow written on my cell phone's display along with bk (my initials), as a reminder to myself that in times of stress, just keep swimming.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
Today 9:28 AM
-->
I heard this word on House and thought it would make me seem cool and smart.
I'm more interested in why you chose Lafayette as your avatar.

Adamastor

Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
I have a serious problem with giving names.

So I took an random and easy to remember one from "Camões" (portuguese) poetry, Adamastor is a character that appears in "Os lusíadas", if I remember correctly in the fifth chant "O gigante Adamastor".

Needless to say this character doesn't mean anything particular to me (I think o.o). Oh yeah, I find it funny because it is uncommon to meet someone who actually knows portuguese (as a second language, of course), thus this name is usually "free".

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
I can read portuguese but I've never read the Lusíadas.
*note to self: read the Lusíadas*

Adamastor

Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
Personally, I prefer small poems wrote by Camões such as "O desconcerto do mundo" because "Os Lusíadas" is somewhat of a "heavy reading", truth be told even portuguese I had a good deal of problems reading this gigantic epic narrative (I am not this close of literary works such as Odyssey and alikes =P ).

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Luís de Camões: Ao desoncerto do mundo

Os bons vi sempre passar
No mundo graves tormentos;
E para mais me espantar,
Os maus vi sempre nadar
Em mar de contentamentos.
Cuidando alcançar assim
O bem tão mal ordenado,
Fui mau, mas fui castigado.
Assim que, só pera mim
Anda o Mundo concertado.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
:( That poem is so sad.

I don't mind the hijacking, I love poetry, but I guess the mods and others might say something about it. There's a poetry thread and I'm looking fwd to your posts there. :)

Latro

Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
In the anticipation of a game called Darkfall, I came up with the character name for a member of a mercenary organization (the clan I was in prior to release was a mercenary clan) in that game called Latro Latronibus. The name means more or less "a mercenary among mercenaries." I've since used the handle Latro in several places; I really only have 2 other handles online anywhere, and one of them is only on one forum (the Darkfall forums, actually).
I see what you did there.

James Black

Local time
-->
Name: James
Favorite color: ...Actually, white, not black.
Second favorite color: ... Its a tie between gray and black.
Hmm. I think, however, if I remember why I started using the name "James Black", it had something to do with my whole "I'm the new black" theme I had going on with my net handles and such, and just meshed it into my real name, James, to come up with James Black.

Local time
-->
I just wanted to come up with an acronym for INTP

LucasM

Local time
-->
:) Well, you can guess what my name is... but I won't reveal my last name. Use on other forums so easy to remember. I can't remember.

Sarcoidosis

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm more interested in why you chose Lafayette as your avatar.

You see, when I look at my avatar, I don't see just Lafayette Reynolds. I see a black gay man who is also a pirate. And that, my friend, is why he is my avatar.[/offtopic]

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
My original username was Fernando_the_weasel. Totally random and out of the blue because I didn't think I'd be staying here long and I don't like the username I usually used before that time (rockergurl) :o. After a small bit of gender confusion and deciding that my username was a mouthful, I switched to something weasel related, but short and sweet.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
I used Phinegan for a while because of Finnigan's Toy Shop in downtown Portland. Then I switched to my first constructed identity, Edward Province, user name: eprovince. Of course I'm not gonna tell you what my current one is :p Not that it matters as I may finally be disposing of that eccentricity. Eventually I got embarrassed at my half-assed attempt at anonymity and changed it to Drumfire (I was big into FPS's at the time and the word refers to continuous suppression fire).

Trouble is, none of those even slightly related to me as a person. Some specifically so. I changed my name to Decaf and it stuck. I think as an adjective the application is pretty obvious. Unfortunately its already taken on a number of websites, so I sometimes use TheRealDecaf.

@Ermine, once I got used to it, I was sad to see Fernando_the_Weasel go. Didn't that name spawn our discussion about whether to put gender in our profiles?

@IB, oh, give yourself more credit than that. I think you live up to it pretty often :D

Himself

The Mad Stork
Local time
-->
I suppose I should've marked the end of my lurking here on the Introit board, but I saw this topic and couldn't resist posting here first. (Shame, shame, I know.)

I take my username from the nickname given to one of the major characters of the mind-blowing tome that is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. It's a nice way to draw out the odd DFW fan on the sites I frequent, and it's also still readily available at most places. After all, who would think to give oneself a name so nondescript as "Himself"? (An INTP, I suppose!)

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
You see, when I look at my avatar, I don't see just Lafayette Reynolds. I see a black gay man who is also a pirate. And that, my friend, is why he is my avatar.[/offtopic]
Oooh..
I have the best mental image ever.
captain%20jack%20sparrow.jpg

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
@Ermine, once I got used to it, I was sad to see Fernando_the_Weasel go. Didn't that name spawn our discussion about whether to put gender in our profiles?

Agreed, though I like the name Ermine as well.

@IB, oh, give yourself more credit than that. I think you live up to it pretty often :D

*takes out carton of eggs from the back of the refrigerator with the expiration date of May 25 and throws eggs at Decaf*

I do not!

*proceeds to peeing on the floor*

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->

:o I'm probably the only person here who didn't spot that ...

The Snow Queen is one of my favourite Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales and I was also fond of the White Witch in the Narnia books. I love winter. I was a big irc user 10 years ago and started using snowqueen then along with the other nick I've used for years - indigirl. Both have become very popular nowadays so I was really pleased to discover I could be snowqueen again here.

Local time
-->
:o I'm probably the only person here who didn't spot that ...

Originally Posted by Invoke Ninja's True Power
If I hadn't thought of it I probably would have missed it too

random: Ermines are one of the cutest of the furballs. I refer to all animals that are covered in fur as furballs. One of the few types I'd consider as a pet. Not sure how their temperament is though. Cats are nice but are just so common.....and they puke on anything. Dogs are too much maintenance and like to chew up things. I have never owned one but a turtle or a snake or some type of lizard would probably be ideal for my tastes. Birds are just too free for me to consider owning one as a pet. I never was a pet person though. Don't know why I was rambling on about pets so much so I will stop now. Oh yeah, I didn't know what an ermine was till I looked it up and then that got me on the subject of furballs and pets.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
well, turtle's can be tricky. If the aquarium is too small they'll walk into the corner... and by walk into the corner I mean they bump their shell against the walls over and over and over and over and over again... sometimes at night. Just a warning. I hear iguanas are good.

I think an ermine would be a great pet as long as they're not biters or pee'ers.

Local time
-->
well, turtle's can be tricky. If the aquarium is too small they'll walk into the corner... and by walk into the corner I mean they bump their shell against the walls over and over and over and over and over again... sometimes at night. Just a warning. I hear iguanas are good.

I think an ermine would be a great pet as long as they're not biters or pee'ers.
I agree, the only way I will own a turtle is if I can have a sufficiently large aquarium. Iguanas can be a bit mean though, maybe they just need to be well taken care of.. If I was rich I'd have a tortoise/ maybe multiple turtles and an actual aquarium. I'd probably have a desert area as well, complete with lizards, and a rare cacti collection. I think of all kinds of exotic pets/things I would have if I had lots and lots of money sometimes. I like to dream big.

Dr_Steve

This is why we can't have nice things!
Local time
-->
I'm planning on becoming a pharmacist so I thought it was fitting.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
-->
I was also fond of the White Witch in the Narnia books.

I'm curious if that reference was why "Polly" thought you'd make a good ally. Always fascinates me how first impressions are made.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
for some reason I feel vaguely awkward answering this question...

ummm....well, several people who know me well often say that I tend to be nonchalant and I tend arrogantly disregard people when I think they are being intentionally stupid. Especially in the face of an irritating ExFJ type. Thus "cavallier" which is the french version of "cavalier". Also, rose is my name.

Thus you get a frustratingly arrogant nonchalent prickly flower...wow, I sound like a jerk. Meh.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
The first thing that sprang forth from my fingers when I spied the username field. :-/

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 12:28 AM
-->
See my signature (though it's really a retrospective definition; somebody randomly called me this in primary school).

Enne said:
The first thing that sprang forth from my fingers when I spied the username field. :-/
Ennie, surely you can't expect the rest of us to be satisfied with that.

Nice palindrome, though.

Invoke Ninja's True Power said:
Oh yeah, I didn't know what an ermine was till I looked it up and then that got me on the subject of furballs and pets.
This made me wonder if any British lords kept ermines as pets. That would be super ironic.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 1:58 PM
-->
I had a parrot. It died. I inherited the name. (I put more thought in naming the parrot than in choosing a nick)

[derail]That's a pretty sweet name for a parrot...and your post also made me think of that Flight of the Conchords song/phrase: "I had a budgie, but it died..."[/derail]

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
Eventually I got embarrassed at my half-assed attempt at anonymity and changed it to Drumfire (I was big into FPS's at the time and the word refers to continuous suppression fire).

We should totally play FPS's together.

Drumfire
Firehazard

Though, really we'd both be doing kind o fthe same thing. I'm sure we'd inevitably end up slaughtering everyone though, right? :D And as long as you never get out of my sight, I won't confuse you as the enemy!

Local time
-->
i wonder if there are any other Seducer's of the Homeless on the internet? :confused:

Anling

Local time
-->
It was my name from chinese class. But the meaning was rather descriptive of my usual personality, so I kept it. And it sounds nice.

Grish

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Mine is a real-life nickname that my sister made up. It doesn't really have a particular meaning, but she decided that it suits me anyway.

powerspike

Redshirt
Local time
-->
mine is from a book i read when i was 18, i think it was called tales of madness and obsession on the electronic frontier. It was the handle used by an australian hacker who , as far as i remember, was very sharp, but eventually grew depressed , delusioned and committed suicide.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
well you see, it all started when Rain asked if I had a skype account (which i didnt) and i decided to make one. for some reason, the name Glovehead was already taken (can you believe it?), and i just made something up in a few minutes that i thought was pleasant and rolled off the tongue well.

and then for some strange reason i decided it would be a good idea to change my nick on the forum as well. its going to take a while before i warm up to preilemus completely; ive been using Glovehead for years.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Zero: The Fool.
Now it's just Zero. There's much to it.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Well, the wolf part came first; I had a couple wolf-related usernames in various places on the internet. Eventually, I came to one site and the name I'd grown temporarily attached to was taken, so I came up with sagewolf-- Sage means wise, or one who is wise, and it's also an advanced class of mage in several RPGs I'd been playing at the time I picked the name. So, now that's my main username on the web, except for the places where it's not. ;)

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 9:28 PM
-->
i played a game called SOCOM US nave seals. ne of the SEALS was name specter. so i took that as my name. later i read a book called ghost soldiers and changed my name to ghost soldier. due to my depression, inabilaty to join the army and my own childness the name became just ghost. i added the 1986 because i figue its not likely to be taken with being such a high number.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
As a devout jacobite, I chose this in honour of John Graham of Claverhouse, Viscount Dundee; who exemplified the perfect life of loyalty to the Royalist Cause, through a life-time of extensive police-action in the West culminating in his victory at Killiecrankie in which he lost his life.

"How goes the day ?" asked Dundee. "Well for King James," answered Johnstone, "but I am sorry for your lordship." --- "If it is well for him, it matters the less for me."

And then death took him.

Claverhouse :phear:

Top Bottom