• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

You know you're an Intp when...

bikochan

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:32 PM
-->
1) look at your family tree and think you should be with an (whatever-origin) woman because there aren't any yet and it might be an improvement for genetic diversity.

2) think a kid could be a great research project

3) write this down at 1:40 AM so you can post it tomorrow (actually later that same day)

4) are happy you clarified that 1:40 AM is actually the same day and not the day before as many people wrongfully think

transformers

Local time
Today 7:32 PM
-->
You think George Carlin was one of the greatest comedians ever.

Tink

Contaminated with pixie dust.
Local time
Tomorrow 5:32 AM
-->
102 in retrospect. When pressured, you volunteer your thoughts on a subject to a group of people, only to have several of them ask for the meanings of the words you used and a few others ask if you would you mind if they wrote down what you said. So you end up repeating the same statement several times when you really didn't want to be talking in front of a group of people in the first place.

Yossarian

Local time
Today 1:32 PM
-->
You have complete confidence and no confidence, all at the same time.

UppyDownyMouth

Giant Squid
Local time
-->
Modification:
You wish you could be invisible and could just observe, as an immortal, with the ability to perceive every event happening at once.

this is my definition of God. and is a state of being i think we all return to when we figure out how to overcome time or when we die, only to go back into this reality. back to being constrained by time.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
when you spend the whole day just waiting for those damned emotions to fade away as you know they eventually will ... and then peace at last.

transformers

Local time
-->
When you treat your emotions as some foreign part of you that needs to be studied.

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
Today 2:32 PM
-->
Number Eight Hundred Fourty Three - When you skip from page 5 to page 13 of a thread because you promised your parents you would drive 3 hours to see them but are already an hour behind schedule because you were reading a thread that you had to post a comment on but had only gotten to page 5 when you realized that it was an hour later and youarestartingtowritearunonsentenceandyourealizeitadcan'tstopbutdomakesuretouseproperpunctuation.

Number...fuck..what number am I on again?- When you still think about the post from an hour ago where someone used your instead of you're.

Number...I am not a number. I am a free man. - When you spend 16 hours straight on a Saturday and 8 hours on a Sunday working on an invention (with requisite charts and graphs and diagrams and 6 trips to Home Depot working on prototypes) only having eaten once at the start of each day, then realize that the market will die out/become obsolete before the product can be produced, so you trash the idea......and yet you are completely satisfied with the way your weekend went.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
Today 11:32 AM
-->
When you treat your emotions as some foreign part of you that needs to be studied.

Oh, like when I am wishing to express that I am happy and instead of saying "I'm happy" I say "I have the perfect brain cocktail today." Then I google exactly what chemicals those are and ponder what if I could alter them at will and a whole bunch of other nonsense.

Causeless

Local time
-->
"I have the perfect brain cocktail today."

When you see this statement and consider adding it to your repertoire of situational responses.

When you use the define function on Google because you want to use the word "repertoire" on an internet forum but are unsure of how it's spelled exactly.

When you know Google has functions.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
When you see this statement and consider adding it to your repertoire of situational responses.

When you use the define function on Google because you want to use the word "repertoire" on an internet forum but are unsure of how it's spelled exactly.

When you know Google has functions.
I do that, I also use google definitions a lot because I get paranoid that I've invented my own definitions for things without realising

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I do that, I also use google definitions a lot because I get paranoid that I've invented my own definitions for things without realising
You know you're an INTP when you worry about inventing your own definitions for things without realizing. :D

(You know you're an INTP- or just a nitpicker- when you rephrase other people's sentences to fit with the "you know you're an INTP" meme.)

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
-->
This post brought to you by the number 848 - When you feel like someone is lying to you and you are devising a plan to catch them in their lie, not because you want to bust them, but because you want to show yourself that your instinct was right!

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
When you value honesty in others, yet cultivate in yourself the ability to deceive.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

Nicholas A. A. E.

formerly of the Basque-lands
Local time
-->
When you get pissed at Google for just ignoring half of ASCII characters and not letting you use regular expressions. It makes it harder to get the information you're looking for! dammit, Google.

Scourgexlvii

Kind of like Batman... but completely different
Local time
-->
When you've spent days proving a teacher wrong, and actually being right, but failing to realize the cultural institution that the teacher can throw you out on your ass for being so-called "disruptive"

Causeless

Local time
-->

Turns out, sometimes, you have. Lacking a better word to fill the often abstract concept, you whip out the Punctuation Gun of Ultimate Truth and perforate the original words with quotation symbols as if shooting a straw man in a farm yard, presenting it with an accompanying parenthesized paragraph on how you know the word doesn't QUITE fit, but that it captured the concept better than any word yet invented which you could find. (And believe me, you looked.)

:p

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
It makes sense even when you read it backwards. Or ... maybe that's dyslexic...

Anyway:
THIS

Me: See at the end he says, "Yeah, I guess. If you're into angelic perfection."
Bro: It's an American Comic, you're reading it backwards.
Me: .... It still makes sense! It makes sense either way.
Pause
Me: Wow, I've read a *beep* load of these backwards... Okay, some of these make more sense now....

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
-->
When you've spent days proving a teacher wrong, and actually being right, but failing to realize the cultural institution that the teacher can throw you out on your ass for being so-called "disruptive"

HA! I did the same thing.

I asked a teacher about a mis-worded test question and she blasted me on it saying I was trying "to be disruptive." 10 minutes later I see a teacher's pet come up to her desk and quietly ask the same question and she politely explained what she meant.

I shouted out "you've gotta be kidding me! I JUST ASKED THAT AND YOU BLEW UP AT ME!"

Well, I of course ended up in the hallway. BUT, I did feel vindicated.

YKYA INTP When - The word Vindicated is soooo beautiful.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when you're irrationally irritated at the fact that, if only small minded people thought bigger, we'd be spared a lot of stupidity and a lot of pain.

I feel like I need to change the world, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I feel like my mission in life is to make small minded people think bigger.

Then, I feel like it's impossible. Even those who want think bigger can't seem to. Then there are those who don't understand it, fear it, and like the abused lives they lead. And there are the people who want to, but can't. No one is making an effort to change things, it's not like something HUGE has to be change...

Well maybe it is huge.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
^ hmmm, have you considered ever becoming a teacher? You could attempt to shape young minds into thinking "bigger". Older people are usually more stubborn, but the young are impressionable. I still remember many things my old teachers told me, even though I disliked most of them. lol

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
Today 12:32 PM
-->
- You've thought of numerous 'great ones' in the course of reading this thread, but have forgotten them all (and eventually started jotting them down somewhere, starting with this one).

- You've recently pondered the origin of something very obscure

- You wish every government official had a council of INTP's they'd consult before any major decision.

- You have crashed your browser by grossly exceeding the number of wikipedia tabs you should have open at one time.

- You think a browser without tabs is like a day without logic.

- You have to avoid laughing at a person when they use the word irregardless in a serious conversation, when it clear they meant regardless.

- The murmur of mindless chatter is like nails on a chalkboard

- You have answered a question using a word you know the person who asked doesn't know with the hope of getting them to go look it up and leave you alone.
e.g. "How are you?" "Copacetic"

- You think a INTP convention would be ironic and interesting, but realize that it's unlikely that such an event would actualize anywhere but in the mind (Because it would be delayed due to procrastination).

- You think a coma would be the perfect vacation.

- You know all the details until you try to explicitly recall them.

P.S. I read all 624 posts before this one in one sitting :(

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when you're irrationally irritated at the fact that, if only small minded people thought bigger, we'd be spared a lot of stupidity and a lot of pain.

I feel like I need to change the world, but I don't know how to go about doing it. I feel like my mission in life is to make small minded people think bigger.

Then, I feel like it's impossible. Even those who want think bigger can't seem to. Then there are those who don't understand it, fear it, and like the abused lives they lead. And there are the people who want to, but can't. No one is making an effort to change things, it's not like something HUGE has to be change...

Well maybe it is huge.

You felt like this all your life until you became a university lecturer and realised that your job is to make your students think bigger and developed a critical thinking tool which could one day transform health and social care provision.

- The murmur of mindless chatter is like nails on a chalkboard

oh yes, oh yes!!!

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
To those who think I can teach...
I hate being around a lot of people, I don't speak well in public.
I HATE School...

Besides, there's a huge flaw in that conventional thinking. First, it hasn't worked. Colleges are isolated little boxes that the "real world" knows as producing those young "idealistic" people. The "real world" is the "real problem". Not the idealistic little campus.

I suppose asking people not to think so black and white, to think outside the box is super idealistic. Aside from that, it's obviously impossible.

People already know WHAT to think. What was suggested is a great example. Idealistic people who want to teach idealistic people should be in an idealistic place. The formula is already created, it's already in your minds.

Maybe there are just no big thinkers out there. Everyone thinks in what's already been programmed into them.

The system is the problem. Building upon a broken foundation doesn't help. Everyone already has their notions, they sway to whatever wind blows, convention is convenient.

There's only one way to make a clean start.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
@Zero: Ah, well I can't say I disagree with you. I do think teachers can have the power to help people think bigger, but probably only those who already want to. And yes, even if people are thinking big, that's not going to suddenly make the system a "big thinking" one. Perhaps it could make people less annoying though, although that may also be a stretch.

And yes, I suppose teaching is not typically a good fit for an INTP. I don't think I could do it either. But I have to imagine that an INTP that could do it could have a noticable impact. (might depend on one's definition of "impact" though)

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
The System Must be Destroyed.
(And Replaced)
[Or maybe just Destroyed]

sadprofessor909

Redshirt
Local time
-->
You can't wrap your mind around the fact that some people find things like psychology and epistemology boring.

Local time
-->
...when you're in a very tense, unpleasant meeting, and upon realizing your adversary's reasoning is based solely on one point "I said so and I'm higher on the org chart," you relax completely, take out the metaphorical popcorn, and consider the whole affair to be an interesting demonstration of incompetence. And you only continue listening for amusement and to gather potential ammunition.

The really funny thing, is that up until that point, I'd been genuinely worried that perhaps I'd overlooked something or misread the situation.

:smiley_emoticons_mr

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
The System Must be Destroyed.
(And Replaced)
[Or maybe just Destroyed]

The urge to destroy is also a creative urge. Or so my signature says.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
The urge to destroy is also a creative urge. Or so my signature says.

Kuu Is Right (Zero is drinking ;) But only a little). Zero must find a creative outlet.

Zero must Write.

Last edited:

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when you wake up in the middle of the night or can't sleep because you know SOMEWHERE on the Internet you wrote "settle" instead of "subtle".

Last edited:

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when instead of studying for the exam you have tomorrow, you spend +4 hours in the IRC, late night, talking about augmented reality, solipsism, biomimicry prostethics, videogames, music, and how much Anthile sucks. *emphasis on sucks*

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
-->
You know you're an INTP when you wake up in the middle of the night or can't sleep because you know SOMEWHERE on the Internet you wrote "settle" instead of "subtle".

Or you made fun of someone for saying "I was limesided" to the point that you now fear you will automatically switch to saying it at some point.

Scourgexlvii

Kind of like Batman... but completely different
Local time
-->
#Q: you intentionally work in the dark, simply because everyone reprimands you for doing such...

idiosyncratic

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 2:32 AM
-->
- your own boss commented that you are funny (funny here refers to a funny character and not funny because you crack people up with your jokes), weird and strange.
- and you actually take that as a compliment.

- your friends needed reassurance from you that your smiles and/or laughters are actually genuine.

- after explaining a certain concept, the only response you get is the sound of crickets in the background and the funny faces from your audience.
- and you don't actually care because all that matters is that you understand that concept.

- can't finish your essay in time because you need 1/2/3 pages to illustrate ONE point. (but sadly, sometimes in the end, the marker still doesn't understand what the point was suppossed to be)

- you get annoyed, for example while in class and your teacher is explaining a theory/equation/etc, you understand them instantly but your neighbour just can't get it even after multiple explanations.
- and all you can think of at that moment is screaming: "use your LOGIC!! where is your LOGIC?!!"

- you can't seem to get it why people use shortforms while chatting like: "idk", "imy", "ily". JUST SPELL IT OUT!! (oh im sorry if any of you here uses these, maybe this is just me)
- and you actually apologize, like that.

- after suggesting a few theories in response to your friend's difficult/complex situation and having them test it out, you check up on them a few days later not because you care but just so you can prove you right. (well you do call up because you care, somewhat, but......oh you guys understand. its a 2 in 1 thing.)

- you are able to alienate your feelings, pack it up in a box and put it on the shelves till further notice.

- you join this forum because you stumbled upon this thread while researching on INTPs and you feel the need to contribute because you get a sudden word rush and even though part of you feels like you can't be bothered to, another part of you just have to let your thoughts be known.

having said all that, yes i am new here and i think this thread and forum is prodigious.
hello people!

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
having said all that, yes i am new here and i think this thread and forum is prodigious.
hello people!
Hello :borg:

- you get annoyed, for example while in class and your teacher is explaining a theory/equation/etc, you understand them instantly but your neighbour just can't get it even after multiple explanations.
- and all you can think of at that moment is screaming: "use your LOGIC!! where is your LOGIC?!!"
I often feel like this when engaged in theological debate :p

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
almost all of these apply, except 13, 17, 24, and 29....everything else seems to resonate quite well, especially 50, 10, and 4, although currently 4 is high school, and many of the college ones i can't partake in nor the girl ones, but it did get me thinking of how it would be if i were

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Kuu- I think I have 25 dollars.

Murphy- Do you those instances in which you overuse a word to death?

I use dumb words, because someone else said them over and over. Like Shiznightous.

You know you're an INTP when you made someone angry, accidentally and you're not sure what to do. Does go away mean go away?

Murphy1d

Reptilian Brain Washed
Local time
-->
Murphy- Do you (have) those instances in which you overuse a word to death?

Tertiary..... I use that term way too much for it to be effectively used.

I used to use "basically" so much that people made fun of me. That was one of those moments that I look back on and say "yep, I do a lot of explaining to people, because they often don't get it."

YKY'AINTPW -
A. You make an acronym out of a long repeated sentence.
B. You categorize your responses into bullet points.
C. You correct a missing word in someone else's post and know that since they are an INTP that it will eat away at they're core.
D. You purposefully insert the wrong spelling of "their" as an antidote.:smoker:

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
When you watch The God Who Wasn't There and your INTP boy basically has to tell you to shut up because you won't stop jumping ahead mentally and predicting the whole movie instead of just watching it causing you to say key points literally seconds before the narrator.

Ex-User (979)

Local time
-->
you laugh when your esfp friend says that something you said that you would think can't possibly make his feelings hurt does to which he feels hurt by you laughing at his absurd feelings which makes him feel bad again which creates an infinite loop.:p (it might be that same with another type but that happened to me without the loop part)

Deleted member 1424

When you come across the word 'Cosmetology' and you think 'Cool, cosmic meteorology!' Then you realize to your disappointment that it's about cosmetics. :pueh:

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 6:32 PM
-->
Whats wrong with make-up Adaire?

Okay, so I've never actually used any, but it looks great on other people!:D

Top Bottom