• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you investigating right now?

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:24 PM
-->
Trying to turn salt into rocket fuel, but I just don't have enough current! Also, i am finding ammonia production to be nearly impossible, and that depresses me.

I assume the major problem with producing ammonia would be getting 200 bar of pressure, and the second problem would be with safely recirculating the gasses to have a decent yield

cuterebra

Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
What an excellent topic! My obsession du jour is game theory and how it relates to tumorigenesis.

If only there were a career in dilettantism... We could all be highly paid Renaissance men/women!

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 6:24 PM
-->
If only there were a career in dilettantism... We could all be highly paid Renaissance men/women!

YES! Paradise...

Ogion

Anling

Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
I have also been researching Taoism. Today I was specifically researching the Chinese elements.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm researching hermeneutics in Mesopotamian cuneiform... Really fascinating stuff. So appealingly arcane and mysterious.
Re: Ideal careers, I wish there was a job that allowed to just write languages. If a thousand wandering people suddenly turned up needing something to speak, I'd jump in, live with them a bit, see what they were like, think of an intriguing writing system for them, design a vocabulary full of interesting sounds and peculiar grammar, then let them speak it and see what they come up with. It would be bliss.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
How to stick the appropriate amount of circuitry into a scooter like helmet ...

..someday ..it'll be a senior design project.

Infinite Regress

Local time
Tomorrow 3:24 AM
-->
I'm currently researching neural nets & regression trees to enhance time series analysis to enhance modeling volatility [implied and stat] for trading purposes.

Someone dropped a line about machine learning...
Actually feel like a swim for now

powerspike

Redshirt
Local time
-->
krishnamurti and buddhism.

relished "can humanity change" and the entire gamut of JKs work on htp://tchl.freeweb.hu

now furiously researching lotus sutra,...although cant make much of it.:confused:

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
Microexpressions and Macroexpressions are what I've been looking at recently (That and trying to keep up with everything is sorta getting in the way of hanging around here) =(
(And of course, the never ending attempts to sort out all my bookmarks - eight folders all named on variations of "Random" or "Interestingness" doesn't make it easy to find things when I want them, and it's too easy to start just clicking all the links and distracting myself...)

Also, Jordan, why not write one for us? We could try having a thread for talking in that language (Well, we have threads for a few other languages anyway, so one more won't hurt! =P)

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
Right now: Minimalism. It's a concept that i very much like. I quite often proclaim myself to be a minimalist, and so on tihs idle Staurday afternoon i decided to hunt the web for other peoples' opinions on the concept.

Ogion

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
Something too personal to share.
Makes me wonder why I even bothered to post.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I'm currently researching neural nets & regression trees to enhance time series analysis to enhance modeling volatility [implied and stat] for trading purposes.

Someone dropped a line about machine learning...
Actually feel like a swim for now

Yes.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Well, it's not exactly an intellectual thing, but I've been going on a crocheting craze. In the span of 1.5 months, I've crocheted 7 scarves. A personal monument to the INTP's ability to concentrate. Lately I've been doing almost nothing but art, school, INTP forum, and this crocheting craziness.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
smiley_emoticons_wp-biggrin3.gif
It's a useful hobby, Ermine. Better than this fiction reading I do all the time.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Eugenics, bacteria colonies, photography of highly magnified objects, biomechanics of hands, aye-ayes, utilitarianism, telomerase, and what the hell am I gonna do for science fair. <--- What is currently on my mind.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I've been studying Baudelaire and his relationship with Manet. It's interesting to see the societal illness reflected in Baudelaire's poetry is also found in Manet's often confrontational paintings. I know, Impressionism doesn't seem confrontational now but at the time the art movement was considered a representation of a sick sick mind. Quality stuff.

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
I am currently developing a weird scheme in which all types of art (music, etc, mainly David Byrne and Flaming Lips) lead into a strange relationship between two people that will be determinant for the upcoming Age of Aquarius... All fiction of course... I guess. A weird theory with a shitload of imagination really... I'd explain it but it's far too retarded rofl, it's just my silly obsession.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I'm trying to solve gravity but I think I'll fail terribly when I get to the maths

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I was doing a biography of Dr. Keirsey for a class (who comes up with such lame assignments as 'do a biography of a famous counselor' for graduate school, anyway?) and I was reading his papers on how ADD is not really a mental disorder but merely the result of a certian temperament that has not been properly channeled. Only, he hasn't produced an peer-reviewed work, so one could not really use his theories for back-up in any arguments against medicating children for ADD. So, this has sparked a research frenzy and I have even designed a few experiments that could be implemented to test the theory out, because I think the old guy is right.

I mean, 'attention' is not an observable phenomenon, it is a cognitive state. And people are making a lot of assumptions in saying children want to pay attention, if only they could. Um, is it possible the child doesn't really care about the topic at hand, or cannot understand the way its being taught, and the child is just looking for something more fun to occupy his time? Sure, you ask a kid why he hasn't done his homework and he says 'because I cannot concentrate'. The teacher assumes this comes from a real effort on the child's part, but perhaps it is simply a kid with a spontaneous personality, but a concrete mind, who cannot be forced to be interested, and therefore does not do well with tasks. So, schools push heavy addictive drugs that have been proven to stunt brain growth and function to treat 'symptoms' that aren't symptoms at all, only vague assumptions. Sure, the kids could use some conditioning, maybe better structure, and some study skills; they may go a long way towards academic success.. but drugs? When does that make sense?

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Currently fascinated by social dynamics and pick up artists.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
-->
synchronicity and intuition, also how they tie together
(not sure how i got started on this but whatever :) )

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 7:24 PM
-->
Appeal to Consequences of a Belief

Type: Red Herring
Forms(Belief in) p leads to good consequences.
(Where the good consequences are irrelevant to the truth of p.)
Therefore, p is true.

Premise: Kids who believe in Santa are well behaved.
Premise: Kids who don't believe in Santa are poorly behaved.
Therefore, we should teach kids there is a Santa.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
Interesting Phantome. I am in amazement with this kind of stuff as well. Really makes you wonder if it was planned or another act of randomness. Experienced it many many times myself.

I'd be interested to know what you are reading on this topic.

My focus is energy. I think the most potential lies in solar energy, at least until we master fusion. I am dreaming of the possibilities. How about a large cargo ship converted into a large methane production factory. Methane would be produced from the Sabatier Reaction ( CO2 + 4H2 => CH4 + 2H20). Hydrogen would be readily available via splitting ocean water and of course CO2 from the atmosphere. This system would be powered by a flotilla of solar cells. Boom! Chemical battery! After all thats what coal and gasoline are right?

In my ideal world, I will start with a silicon purification/pulling facility, which would expand and expand as the silicon goes toward solar cells therefore increasing capacity. I would eventually reach a point where I can produce synthetic methane for night time power. With energy being so damn cheap I could start expanding my horizons. That's right I'm talking about space mining. Truck in all the resources that could possibly be needed and more.

...I guess you could say my real focus is obliterating materialism.

warryer

Local time
-->
Out of curiosity, when materialism is gone what will there be?

I suppose you could say my view on society is rather Marxist. I view life as a struggle to accumulate limited resources. This struggle creates the class system. Doesn't it sound strange that those who have access to the resources are the ones who get to decide what the course of humanity, or even closer to home, how you should live your life?

I would imagine at first with a flood of resources and energy, people would become gluttons because they have the option that they didn't have before.

Over time my hope is that we would turn our minds to more important matters. Hopefully a period like the Renaissance. People would be judged on their mastery of the arts and sciences. I'm sure there will still be some sort of class system but the difference from top to bottom would be small.

I havent really thought too much about it, just the getting there part.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I have to say that I really like this thread.

"Are you again wasting your time on random wikipedia articles?"
"I'm investigating!"

Sapphire Harp

Local time
-->
I have to say that I really like this thread.

"Are you again wasting your time on random wikipedia articles?"
"I'm investigating!"
Anthile - Personally, I like to say I'm researching. :p But, really, from the outside looking in... we've got some "strange" pastimes, don't we? ;)
Cuterebra - If you manage to connect things together in original ways... and can write interesting things about them... I don't see why you couldn't get away with it. :) (But... still, good luck!) :p
I would imagine at first with a flood of resources and energy, people would become gluttons because they have the option that they didn't have before. Over time my hope is that we would turn our minds to more important matters. Hopefully a period like the Renaissance. People would be judged on their mastery of the arts and sciences. I'm sure there will still be some sort of class system but the difference from top to bottom would be small.
Warryer... I can't help but think about our conquest of matters of basic consumption and necessity... I mean - food, shelter, water... Theoretically, we've the technology and knowledge to provide adequately for every living person... possibly we've had it for at least a hundred years... maybe more... much longer in individual regions... We're definitely not out of the gluttony phase yet. Do you figure more advancement is going to help that change along?

...Or do you suppose if the cost of basic necessities falls far enough, we'll finally get around to providing for everyone globally?

warryer

Local time
-->
Warryer... I can't help but think about our conquest of matters of basic consumption and necessity... I mean - food, shelter, water... Theoretically, we've the technology and knowledge to provide adequately for every living person... possibly we've had it for at least a hundred years... maybe more... much longer in individual regions... We're definitely not out of the gluttony phase yet. Do you figure more advancement is going to help that change along?

...Or do you suppose if the cost of basic necessities falls far enough, we'll finally get around to providing for everyone globally?

I don't know whether I would call what you are describing gluttony or greed, maybe its both. To be honest I don't quite understand why it has to be this way. It really shouldn't.

If we define advancement as a better or more efficient way of doing something then, yes, advancement is definitely one way to accomplish what I am thinking. Off the top of my head; with the discovery of gunpowder, bow and arrow makers suddenly found themselves in a not so favorable position. The perceived value of the bow and arrow plummeted because there were better option available. The bow and arrow then became available to those who didn't have access to it before the gun. These people would still be a step behind in the game because the better gun is still out there forcing them to play catch up in order to compete on even ground. I think this is the state of things today.

Nobody wants to devalue their resources which I think is the reason why there is such a thing as competition for limited goods and ultimately percieved value. It's kind of strange because if everybody over produced then it wouldn't much matter.

So, what if through a flood of resources and energy I was able to force a devaluing of these things? Suddenly these materials or goods which were once out of reach of the "poor" are now widely available. Not only this but, the goods available would be state of the art.

I'm not saying that we are the protectors of the world because that leads to thinking that we are fundamentally better than those below us. I do think that we should be sharing what knowledge, technology, ability we have that others could benefit from for the betterment of humanity. Think open-source.

Alright I got to be getting to bed, I had a lot of fun thinking about your question Sapphire.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
-->
I Experienced it many many times myself.

I'd be interested to know what you are reading on this topic.
currently just reading up on internet articles, but that's just until the day when I find the time to go to the library and take out some books =]
Have you? would you mind sharing an example?

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
I put some time aside to work on homework... but I find myself diving into the Logic Studio software. I just upgraded to the pro software, and it comes with a ton of synths and effects. I'm learning how to program and set up each one, slowly going through them. Trying to wrap my brain around all the synths while at the same time write some new music.

This stuff gets pretty heady pretty quick, so much to play around with on these synthesizer programs. But great fun, it's like the ultimate toy. And after you are done playing you've made some music...

I found a plug-in that perfectly emulates the old Nintendo sound chip, http://www.ymck.net/english/download/index.html. I've played around with running that through amp/guitar pedal modeler.

In terms of reading, I've just been reading the help file... probably should buy a book.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
How to get my Sourdough to rise...It just won't rise!!!:rogue00:

Edit: Apparently I need to feed it twice a day and make it thicker...Damn you Google! I'm your little bitch...:(

AmitaF

Old
Local time
Today 7:24 PM
-->
trying to find a way to get to my homeworks and reports .. but I'm still being distracted by almost everything..
however, lately I've been obssesing over some device I'm trying to design, Ironically, it's my bros' project...

Zaltana

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've gone on a documentary binge on Netflix and my instant queue is full. I spent my evening eating dinner and watching a documentary on cannibalistic serial killers. Then found myself opening a new tab in my browser and pulling up pages on them. Then started to look up serial killers and mass murders in my home state, and started pulling up there DOC pages. I have a thing for the extremes of deviant behavior.

This is in stark contrast of what I normally am looking up. My biological clock is starting to tick and I've spending way too much time researching birthing options and pregnancy. I don't even plan on getting pregnant for at least another 3 years.

So serial murdering and procreation fills up my time. Wow I am fucked up.

aklyatne

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I've actually been memorizing pi. It might be useful someday. Probably not though :D

Already up to 3.14159265358979323846264338. Chunking is very useful.

Cassandra

My psych teacher called this flow; the state in which you are completely immersed in a subject/line of thought to the point where you would stop eating, sleeping, breathing, anything, in order to better explore that topic.

For me, flow happens mostly about science, words, language, logic, geometric forms, and philosophy.

Recently, I've been studying the protein NS1, which is found in certain influenza viruses (such as the Avian Flu, the original 1918 Influenza A H1N1) which are very virulent (aggressive). The protein interacts with the immune system (specifically, TRIM25) to inhibit the process by which interferons, agents of the immune system which activate macrophages that activate T-Cells as well as other anti-viral agents. By inhibiting this production pathway, NS1 thwarts the immune system's defenses and gives the virus (as well as any other infectious agent) a chance to take hold, possibly leading to the body initiating a cytokine storm (immune system overreaction--kills itself as well as the virus) or leading to a secondary infection that kills the infected individual.

I've also been thinking about missing socks. WHERE DO THEY GO??? :confused: :phear: :confused:

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
It's actually very interesting to read what you all are up to. I'm planning on learning mathematics from scratch. I've learned some rules in school, but we never understood it. And after getting "ahas" after realizing why A = h x b / 2 (of a triangle) and other such details, I became curious as to what the logical system behind math is. I'll start at the bottom and see how far I'll go. I kinda want to understand more complicated formulas as well. So, I guess I have my work cut out for me for some time. The problem will be finding decent mathbooks. There's probably plenty in English, but I wonder if that might be too complicated to understand.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Just beginning to look into Taoism more thoroughly. I've finally picked up the Book of Chuang Tzu that I found in a thrift store in backwater NC a couple months ago. I also found the Tao of Physics that I'll try to read but I'm not mathematically inclined as many here are.

I've gone on a documentary binge on Netflix and my instant queue is full.

I've done a lot of that too Zaltana, I recently watched Gallipoli, Color of War, Bloodiest Battles of the Civil War, Planet Earth and Jesus Camp. (not all are watch instantly)

I'm thinking of watching Constantine's Sword either tonight or by the weekend and I have God Grew Tired of Us coming soon in the mail.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I've also been thinking about missing socks. WHERE DO THEY GO??? :confused: :phear: :confused:

Oh, I figured that out a while ago. The truth is, that all socks are actually cosmic beings that materialized on Earth to fight in a tournament to determine who becomes their new god. They use optical illusions to trick humans into thinking that socks are man-made and then they wear them on their feet. In fact, socks are parasites that suck blood from your feet.
Socks appear usually in identical pairs but don't be fooled, they are completely amoral and don't even shrink from fratricide. Although there seem to be always new socks it is clear that in the end there can only be one.
However, except from the whole sucking blood thing they are oblivious to humans but now after I found out their terrible secret they... seem... to look different at me.

Zaltana

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I also have a WWII kick going on. The whole Hitler gets pissed about this meme going on got me a little curious to watch the actual movie. Downfall came in the mail yesterday. The movie I had before was Defiance, which was very good.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
These days school pretty much dictates what I have time to investigate.
Some interesting projects I have going on now are: prosthetics, artificial intelligence, and ghettoes throughout history. Also trying to figure out why I failed my last math test. :(

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I also have a WWII kick going on. The whole Hitler gets pissed about this meme going on got me a little curious to watch the actual movie. Downfall came in the mail yesterday. The movie I had before was Defiance, which was very good.

Downfall is excellent

Carnap

Local time
-->
Religious experience in mental illness/psychosis, the dangers of having a taxonomy of mental disorders, how what we perceive as mental illness is often spiritual awakening in other cultures, Jung's take on psychosis as trauma healing.

Carnap

Local time
-->
Oh Cog, if that wasn't sarcasm, we have a lot to discuss.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I was just looking something up on wikipeadia and ended up reading through all the vitamins but got bored when I got to the minerals

Carnap

Local time
-->
mmmm. I'm a huge alternative medicine fan and for about 4 months all I cared about was vitamins and minerals and foods and all they contain, what they do to the body. It was a really sick obsession that involved me eating in front of the computer trying to figure out what exactly each molecule of my food would be doing in my body.

This is what happens when you have no friends.

By the way, how does anyone live in a country for five years and not meet any friends? I knew one guy that had 20 friends his first week here. Oh well, that's another topic.

Top Bottom