• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Merged: The 5 INTP subtypes

bdz

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:56 PM
-->
Re: The 5 INTP subtypes

Hmm, what a load of drivel. All 5 types are too specific to be of any relevance. And what is with #5? Lowered the credibility a whole lot. Talk about sucking your own dick.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Today 7:56 PM
-->

You need to lose a little bit of your spine to suck your dick so I say give it to him.

Fordy

Local time
Today 12:56 PM
-->

I'm definately number 5. Totally. 100%.

Just without the constantly getting laid part.

And everything else it said.

Yeh, it's most likely just a joke... Though it isn't a very good joke. It's just insulting, in my opinion.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 6:56 AM
-->

5 on some threads
4 on the others
but as an iNtp or Nipt
I don't think those subtypes have any statistical validity

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I'm definately number 5. Totally. 100%.

Just without the constantly getting laid part.

And everything else it said.

Yeh, it's most likely just a joke... Though it isn't a very good joke. It's just insulting, in my opinion.

Constantly getting laid are the Pet Shop Boys, although this usually refers to Artisans (SP) or Horsemen (ESFJ). It is a farmyard. Insulting.

NiDBiLD

Redshirt
Local time
-->

This type of INTP has seen the world, and realized that they want no part of it, except where they can get knowledge, experience, and entertainment from it. They see life for what it is, a big cosmic joke, and often wonder if they should laugh or cry, but otherwise just say the hell with it, and go get laid. They tend to be sarcastic and funny, are world travelers, and can blend in to any environment, and they tend to get laid a lot. They also tend to be fairly well educated, yet stuck in worthless and meaningless jobs, both because the people around them are idiots and because they don't have the mindless compulsion to kiss ass to move up in life. They are the street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom. They tend to play multiple instruments, and just generally look cool and sexy. Their experience is as wide as their knowledge is deep, and tend to be very observant, and get laid a whole lot. They shower regularly, dress well yet comfortably, tend to be sexy in a low key sort of way, and tend to score easily with members of the opposite sex. Although their living quarters tend to appear disorganized, it is an organized disorganization, arranged in such a way as to be easy to get from the bed to the door, and back without interruption. This subtype also tends to like to party, likes to go out for drinks, can get along with pretty much anyone, and tends to get laid more than any other subtype of INTP.
This subcategory is easily distinguished as a visually appalling, totally senseless mass of verbal masturbation - Most probably the ego-inflating boastings of a self proclaimed member of said category. My theory, though, is:

The author of this pseudo-scientific bullshit is really a 3) - Classic Nerd in denial, who managed to get some drunk pony girl into bed once or twice. Now his underdeveloped excuse of a Fe holds his brain hostage, and makes the poor sod spill this moronic garbage over some poor, defenseless message board in a ESFJ-like cry for attention - Thus widely proclaiming him a clueless idiot.

Cheers. By the way - Welcome me. I am new here. A fellow INTP, as they come.

Last edited:

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 7:56 AM
-->

Now that's what I call an intro.

Welcome. What does your name mean?

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 1:56 PM
-->

Your wish is my command:
Hi and welcome to the forum. May you find interesting and enlightening discussions ;)

Ogion

NiDBiLD

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Now that's what I call an intro.

Welcome. What does your name mean?

It is a word for "Caricature" in my first language - Swedish.

Though it does not have the humorous and light ring to it, that is automatically attached to the english translation. It has a meaning closer to "satire" in that sense.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

This subcategory is easily distinguished as a visually appalling, totally senseless mass of verbal masturbation - Most probably the ego-inflating boastings of a self proclaimed member of said category. My theory, though, is:

In England this lot are called the Pet Shop Boys, cause they rabbit shoot young girls and mate with Artisans and Guardians. Some of them settle down with a school teacher of the Mousy type (ISFJ), although this is a bit unfair on the teachers).

Going to the Zoo.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Psychedelic-Personality/

NiDBiLD

Redshirt
Local time
-->

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
Today 4:56 AM
-->

Let's see here...

I'm probably a #5. Except I don't get laid. I easily could if I wanted to, but I'd rather wait for Mr. Right to come along.

Besides, I think about sex with my brain, not my...hormones...and stuff. STDs? NO THANK YOU!

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Let's see here...

I'm probably a #5. Except I don't get laid. I easily could if I wanted to, but I'd rather wait for Mr. Right to come along.

Besides, I think about sex with my brain, not my...hormones...and stuff. STDs? NO THANK YOU!

About the same as a male, but I do not want to become a casualty with casual sex and all the messy complications, stalkers, and the lies. Deceit of the Catwomen (ISFP), craziness of the Pony girls (ESFJ) and Caprice and the fucktwits, and I am having a break from all that, or trying to before I am driven crazy myself.

Pony girls do not know brain sex, spirituality is a new tatoo (seriously).

Local time
-->

My brother is a very bitter Golden Boy.

Vexbeast

Local time
Today 11:56 PM
-->

If any of those, I'd be 5, and yet the description somehow makes me want to punch face. Intriguing...

Spacedoubt

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Re: Which type of INTP are you?

What ridiculous babbling. It looks as if it were writtien by an angry teenager.

yeayea

Local time
-->

HAH! My INTP dood, would DEF. be Type 2 (Golden Boy) without a dobut. Bahaha

Local time
-->

Without the benefit of education, Type 2 (Golden Boy) probably reverts to Type 5 (unless they want to be a Nerd!), as the psycho-social circumstances dictate.... Unless they get caught in the God/Idealist net.

This resonates with me quite a bit. I never got the silver spoon because I was raised in an unstable environment and never learned the discipline necessary to take my genius to the next level. I always felt like I should have been a nerd (huge fan of Star Trek, but don't have any memorabilia), and have an active fantasy life (would be great at RPG's). I want to get laid with hot chicks though... so type 3 is pretty much out.

Type 5 is accurate in ALMOST every way, although that part about "tends to like to party, likes to go out for drinks, can get along with pretty much anyone" goes against the I in INTP and belongs to another type. The getting laid a lot part only comes with self confidence or accomplishment, and I doubt would come easily to most male INTP's (including myself) until they get some status under their belt. The argumentative deep intellectual talks are really NOT attractive to most women...

As far as people getting offended, this list is just someone's humorous oppinion. The author is not god and no one said there has to be only 5 types. I personally like looking at some of the potential pitfalls of our disposition, because it sheds light on what you need to change or accept about who you are.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->

I think that list originally was meant as a parody... ;)

Ogion

bob

Redshirt
Local time
-->
INTP subtypes

The Five INTP subtypes

1) Liberal Loser:
This INTP subtype tends to let an overwhelming sense of social injustice often due to their inability to control their immature feelings cloud their logic. Too much weed, or not enough, smoked at the peace rallies they attend with their overwhelmingly illogical SP soul mates typically add to the feelings of social injustice. They tend to rationalize everything around them in black and whites and gross generalities, by spouting off cliches and urban myths as fact. They are the classic pseudo intellectual, who look for social injustices in the way that INTPs are generally thought to look for facts, and are always ready to spout off why something is bad or wrong based upon one of their illogical findings, which they consider "conventional wisdom" or "common sense". Unfortunately, as an INTP, they don't actually do anything about it, just complain about it on groups such as the INTPopen.

2) Golden Boy (or girl):
This INTP subtype is as rare to see as a baby pigeon, as they tend to be physics professors, philosophy professors, professional programmers for prestigious universities or international companies, or as government analysts for the CIA and NSA. They are rarely seen, but when they are, it is typically due to personal issues that they need to whine about on internet lists, such as "my wife is a crazy bitch" or "I have no friends, I want someone to love me". They tend to be blind to the plight of their lesser INTP brethren because they have been given a golden spoon, accelerated classes in grade school, honors classes in high school, and full scholarships to MIT and Princeton. They tend to be very strange, as they are successful enough to not know or care how to bathe or take care of themselves, and tend to dress very poorly, and are incapable of brushing their hair. They tend to marry the first woman who lays them in their late 20's or early 30's, but eventually end up with their wives cheating on them with their more "normal" colleagues in the Business Administration department, but never tend to notice anyway, because they are too busy and engrossed in their esoteric work for any human activities.

3) Classic Nerds:
Similar to golden boys without the golden spoons, they tend to be intelligent, yet utterly incapable of holding a jargon free conversation. Most normal humans are incapable of communication with them outside of topics such as Star Trek, role-playing games, or the latest Matrix movie. To most, they appear asexual (and tend to BE asexual). They tend to get low level programming jobs, teach computer science at the local community college, or unemployed creating annoying email viruses while living in their parent's basement in a rat-hole filled with moldy pizza and empty potato chip bags. If they find a woman at all, it tends to be in their late 20's to mid 30's, when they realize that the odd human mating rituals involve things such as bathing and clean laundry, however, fortunately, they tend to attract others of the same subtype for mating – greasy overweight slobs, or Auschwitz- skinny freaks with coke bottle glasses, and can easily be spotted together with dyed black hair, wearing matching "Card Captor Sakura" t-shirts while browsing the latest additions to the anime section at blockbuster, while talking about their latest goth festival or roll playing gathering.

4) Religious Fanatic:
This type has given internal logic up for the external imposition of logic. This is usually due to severe bullying and ridicule as a child, which causes this INTP to be crushed to an empty shell – the perfect vessel for religion. These INTPs have no need for mere objective logic; they become masters of their religion, able to counter any argument logically within the confines of said religion. They accept the tenets and scriptures on "faith", and then feed it into their pool of logic. This type of INTP is incapable of losing an argument as they can creatively invent new logic off of old ideas. If their religion tells them the sun is a big chocolate square, they WILL FIND A WAY to deflect any argument that points out that the sun, in fact, is not a big chocolate square at all. The easiest way to end a debate with this type is "you are right" (due to the fact that they are incapable of being wrong, as that would require more pages of the dead sea scrolls which have yet to turn up).

5) Cynical Realist:
This type of INTP has seen the world, and realized that they want no part of it, except where they can get knowledge, experience, and entertainment from it. They see life for what it is, a big cosmic joke, and often wonder if they should laugh or cry, but otherwise just say the hell with it, and go get laid. They tend to be sarcastic and funny, are world travelers, and can blend in to any environment, and they tend to get laid a lot. They also tend to be fairly well educated, yet stuck in worthless and meaningless jobs, both because the people around them are idiots and because they don't have the mindless compulsion to kiss ass to move up in life. They are the street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom. They tend to play multiple instruments, and just generally look cool and sexy. Their experience is as wide as their knowledge is deep, and tend to be very observant, and get laid a whole lot. They shower regularly, dress well yet comfortably, tend to be sexy in a low key sort of way, and tend to score easily with members of the opposite sex. Although their living quarters tend to appear disorganized, it is an organized disorganization, arranged in such a way as to be easy to get from the bed to the door, and back without interruption. This subtype also tends to like to party, likes to go out for drinks, can get along with pretty much anyone, and tends to get laid more than any other subtype of INTP.

Before everyone calls out, '#5 is so me!', actually consider which ine you are and comment on whether the subtype theory is bullshit or not

subtype theory is not mine,
http://homepage.mac.com/bahlberg/iblog/B1386252977/C715152919/E467503953/index.html

Carnap

Local time
-->
Re: INTP subtypes

I think it's bullshit.

I think that person just thinks he's smart, some pseudo intellectual hipster that goes to coffee shops and sleeps around with all the indie losers in his town.

I mean, he thinks he's better than all the other so called sub types because he "recognizes the utter chaos" of what was it... lame.

A big cosmic joke? Lame, lame.

So basically people like Pascale are subtype 4 and we should just quietly listen and nod, but not take them seriously because they are not as cool and sexy as pseudo intellectual number 5?

I think this guy is just a hot headed shit, and all the subtypes are bogus.

Local time
-->

absolute Bullshit

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

I think it's bullshit. I think that person just thinks he's smart, some pseudo intellectual hipster that goes to coffee shops and sleeps around with all the indie losers in his town.

I mean, he thinks he's better than all the other so called sub types because he "recognizes the utter chaos" of what was it... lame.

Pretty much.
The deck was stacked from the start.
(Mostly to reflect this guy's personal preferences.)

Real subtypes would all have equal validity and true pro's/con's.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->

chances are, whoever wrote this isnt an intp seeing as they all have a negative bias (except 5, which is probably what the author is if he actually is intp). im calling shenanigans on this cuz theyre all too specific to encompass all intps.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->

I thought these were already proven to be of no use other than humor.

I'm a Liberal Cynical Conservative Loser Fanatic Realist Sexy Nerd. They failed to include that subtype. I'm disappointed.

Red Mage

Local time
-->

It's interesting that you back up your adopted theory by saying you can't be biased or inflamatory because you happen to identify yourself with the only one that isn't meant to be completely derogatory.

Roran

The Original Nerdy Gangsta
Local time
-->

5-sexy+3=me. I can't identify as only one of these. They're too....stereotypical.
I guess you could call me the Nerdy Cynic.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->

At least clean off all the dirt and maggots when you go grave digging!;)

jameslikespie

Local time
-->

Hmm, what a load of drivel. All 5 types are too specific to be of any relevance. And what is with #5? Lowered the credibility a whole lot. Talk about sucking your own dick.

This.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
-->

I'm am the insomniac type. The Grey Owl. Swooping down from The Dark Trees.
Sexy and very likely to own a Vespa, someday.

Particle

Bazooka Tooth Dental
Local time
-->

Old thread, but I missed it the first time around.

#3 sounds a lot like me. #2 sounds like the best of the five presented, to me.

Causeless

Local time
-->

I'm more like Rodger the Alien than any of these subtypes.

roger-the-alien-300x268.jpg

A joke, but when I think about it, I spend most of my time in an 'attic', and I can take on roles (Life rolls more than acting rolls) practically flawlessly, soon growing tired of them and losing interest. I can be incredibly naive and immature in a subjective picture, yet posses an uncanny, innate ability to absorb and understand objective data.

It's strange, it seems both I and the character have this 'restricted' ability to interact with the social superstructure, methods we've developed to overcome that restriction, and a fascinated, fluent, yet completely disjointed perspective on it as a result.

DkrANGEL

ぼく は やみ
Local time
-->

You can't put me into any subtype,I can be whatever I want,I identify with descriptions with all the odd numbered subtypes.Most of them are just baseless stereotypes.

^This.

I'd say I'm a healthy balance of #3 and #5... it sounds like I'm ordering combo meals from the local fast food joint...

...but, if you'd have to type me it'd be this.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->

Probably a combination of 1(I am a little too psuedo-intellectual. I should probably stop correcting people so often...) and 5(without the super-smooth sexy shit... Where the hell did that come from?).

But these are by far not all the 'subtypes', and most of them actually don't seem like INTPs at all. This article sounds like it's written by someone who really hates INTPs, what the fuck is up with that?

Actually, every other INTP is somewhat a subtype, imo.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->

Thread necromancy... why?!

On an interesting unrelated note, this thread is where I got my one & only infraction, for flaming Perseus.

pirate

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Fifth one is closest to me except that I do not get laid all the time. I do get a lot of attention from the opposite sex but I don't care for it.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->

Thread necromancy... why?!

On an interesting unrelated note, this thread is where I got my one & only infraction, for flaming Perseus.

Awww, why would you flame Perseus ? He was a genuine forum character.

Also, this thread makes me feel like I've been here forever oh wait I have. x__x

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->

From the few posts I've seen from Perseus, he does seem a little... out there. But hey, we're INTPs, not an exception :D

Local time
-->

Hmm. I must be ENTP. Im a devil's advocate kinda guy, and I like to mess with people.

When life gives me lemons, i squirt lemon juice all over the walls to look for messages hidden in invisible ink. Then I take the lemon skins and make little gladiator helmets for cats.

:elephant: i dont get it....its an asian elephant, so you can tell its an indian dude riding it.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I remember Perseus. He was kinda tin-foil hat-ish in a nice way.

mpiganaji

Infinity
Local time
-->

5 & I am drawn 2ward INTP 5's as well

Local time
-->

hmmm. why isnt there a super neurotic and crazy person that killed themselves from introspection subgroup. Crazy introspection philosopher who finds the meanings of life.

Zionoxis

Local time
-->

Type 5 is about as biased as biased can be. As for me, I am somewhat religious, but once again, I do not fit into any of the above categories. I will get a decent job, I still believe many are idiots, and I will do something with my life. As for endless knowledge, I find until I am no longer curious. That is not deep knowledge. That is expansive in many areas. I still only know the surface of many areas.

sunkmanitutanka

I used to be #4, but now I'd say I'm #2 and slowly becoming more like #5.. I think #5 is simply the INTP that allows experimentation (Ne) to grab hold of him enough to simply experience life.

Local time
Today 11:56 PM
-->
How much credence do you guys grant the 5 INTP subtypes?

Cynical realist fits me pretty damn well. only exceptions are I am not a "world traveler". I hate travel. Otherwise it fits me to the dot. I love parties, I get sex alot, I play multiple instruments, etc etc. It all fits.

So do you guys think this stuff is accurate or it's just the barnum effect

1) Liberal Loser:
This INTP subtype tends to let an overwhelming sense of social injustice often due to their inability to control their immature feelings cloud their logic. Too much weed, or not enough, smoked at the peace rallies they attend with their overwhelmingly illogical SP soul mates typically add to the feelings of social injustice. They tend to rationalize everything around them in black and whites and gross generalities, by spouting off cliches and urban myths as fact. They are the classic pseudo intellectual, who look for social injustices in the way that INTPs are generally thought to look for facts, and are always ready to spout off why something is bad or wrong based upon one of their illogical findings, which they consider “conventional wisdom” or “common sense”. Unfortunately, as an INTP, they don’t actually do anything about it, just complain about it on groups such as the INTPopen.

2) Golden Boy (or girl):
This INTP subtype is as rare to see as a baby pigeon, as they tend to be physics professors, philosophy professors, professional programmers for prestigious universities or international companies, or as government analysts for the CIA and NSA. They are rarely seen, but when they are, it is typically due to personal issues that they need to whine about on internet lists, such as “my wife is a crazy bitch” or “I have no friends, I want someone to love me”. They tend to be blind to the plight of their lesser INTP brethren because they have been given a golden spoon, accelerated classes in grade school, honors classes in high school, and full scholarships to MIT and Princeton. They tend to be very strange, as they are successful enough to not know or care how to bathe or take care of themselves, and tend to dress very poorly, and are incapable of brushing their hair. They tend to marry the first woman who lays them in their late 20’s or early 30’s, but eventually end up with their wives cheating on them with their more “normal” colleagues in the Business Administration department, but never tend to notice anyway, because they are too busy and engrossed in their esoteric work for any human activities.

3) Classic Nerds:
Similar to golden boys without the golden spoons, they tend to be intelligent, yet utterly incapable of holding a jargon free conversation. Most normal humans are incapable of communication with them outside of topics such as Star Trek, role-playing games, or the latest Matrix movie. To most, they appear asexual (and tend to BE asexual). They tend to get low level programming jobs, teach computer science at the local community college, or unemployed creating annoying email viruses while living in their parent’s basement in a rat-hole filled with moldy pizza and empty potato chip bags. If they find a woman at all, it tends to be in their late 20’s to mid 30’s, when they realize that the odd human mating rituals involve things such as bathing and clean laundry, however, fortunately, they tend to attract others of the same subtype for mating – greasy overweight slobs, or Auschwitz- skinny freaks with coke bottle glasses, and can easily be spotted together with dyed black hair, wearing matching “Card Captor Sakura” t-shirts while browsing the latest additions to the anime section at blockbuster, while talking about their latest goth festival or roll playing gathering.

4) Religious Fanatic:
This type has given internal logic up for the external imposition of logic. This is usually due to severe bullying and ridicule as a child, which causes this INTP to be crushed to an empty shell – the perfect vessel for religion. These INTPs have no need for mere objective logic; they become masters of their religion, able to counter any argument logically within the confines of said religion. They accept the tenets and scriptures on “faith”, and then feed it into their pool of logic. This type of INTP is incapable of losing an argument as they can creatively invent new logic off of old ideas. If their religion tells them the sun is a big chocolate square, they WILL FIND A WAY to deflect any argument that points out that the sun, in fact, is not a big chocolate square at all. The easiest way to end a debate with this type is “you are right” (due to the fact that they are incapable of being wrong, as that would require more pages of the dead sea scrolls which have yet to turn up).

5) Cynical Realist:
This type of INTP has seen the world, and realized that they want no part of it, except where they can get knowledge, experience, and entertainment from it. They see life for what it is, a big cosmic joke, and often wonder if they should laugh or cry, but otherwise just say the hell with it, and go get laid. They tend to be sarcastic and funny, are world travelers, and can blend in to any environment, and they tend to get laid a lot. They also tend to be fairly well educated, yet stuck in worthless and meaningless jobs, both because the people around them are idiots and because they don’t have the mindless compulsion to kiss ass to move up in life. They are the street philosopher, the beat poet, the writers, and fountains of knowledge and wisdom. They tend to play multiple instruments, and just generally look cool and sexy. Their experience is as wide as their knowledge is deep, and tend to be very observant, and get laid a whole lot. They shower regularly, dress well yet comfortably, tend to be sexy in a low key sort of way, and tend to score easily with members of the opposite sex. Although their living quarters tend to appear disorganized, it is an organized disorganization, arranged in such a way as to be easy to get from the bed to the door, and back without interruption. This subtype also tends to like to party, likes to go out for drinks, can get along with pretty much anyone, and tends to get laid more than any other subtype of INTP.

Top Bottom