• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

If you had one year left to live

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 9:26 AM
-->
...would that motivate you to live life fuller and try harder to accomplish your goals? Or would knowing that it is the end unmotivate you? I mean, what's the point of trying any more if you know you're dead in a year, right?

Just wondering what you guys would do...

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
Nothing.

I would just keep going at the same pace as always.

The only thing I would actively do,would be to tie all the loose ends regarding my family and friends maybe, and that would be it.

But what circumstances exactly surround the death? Why one year? That might make a difference.

slant

Most Wanted Dead Peasant
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
No, it would just be torture. All that would happen is my family would be super nice and clingy and I wouldn't be able to do anything about it, but hope to die faster.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
What are the conditions of the death? Would I be healthy up until that point? Or would I be lying in a hospital bed?

Well, I would definitely make sure that my lifespan is a secret between me and my doctor, so people aren't saying goodbye to me the whole time, or getting clingy or whatever.

I'll just assume that I'll be healthy. I'd be much less motivated when it comes to the little mundane things, but I would be much more motivated to experience lots of things, just so I can say I did it, and work on the more significant things. Maybe write more, focus on art more, etc.

I'd just make sure that I enjoy it as much as possible.

eudemonia

still searching
Local time
-->
I'd spend much more time with my children and friends.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->
I already know I may not have long left to live and I'm not really doing much about it. Hopefully the knowledge would push me over the limit and cause me to do things that my caution and paranoia has so far prevented me from doing.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
I would lock myself in a beautiful library and insist on a slave person bringing me food so I didn't have to leave.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
What's the point of trying anymore if you know you're just going to die in forty years?

For all I know, I *could* die in a year. (No, I'm not sick... I'm just thinking about random accidents.) The need to accomplish things, to have meaning, that's what will continue to drive me.

But there are also a lot of other wonderful things in life... for when we need breaks from accomplishing things.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
Definitely drop out and hit the road.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
Definitely drop out and hit the road.

Yeah, travel and have as much fun as I can. Goals are only worthwhile if you can stick around long enough to enjoy reaching them. Your accomplishments just turn to dust in time anyway once you're gone so if you can't enjoy it, screw it......which could be enjoyable ;).

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 1:56 PM
-->
Well, if there wasn't any sort of physical/mental degradation, I'd have to say I'd love to do a lot; travel, take risks, learn new things...I'd want to explore more than anything. Explore not just places, but situations - what would happen if I told that girl what I felt about her? What would happen if I stopped going to school, and just lived life one day at a time? More than anything, I'd think I'd want to live life without any more inhibitions - if I wanted to work towards my goals, then I might; if I didn't, I might not.

I'd like to live life as I am right now...except a thousand times better to make up for those lost years :cool:.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
-->
I'm already trying to live as i like. Like in Carpe Diem. You never know when it will end, so i find it stupid to wait with the good things till 'later'. It helps that i have only simple needs and not much ambition for 'career'.

Ogion

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
Obviously I'd plan a way to destroy the known universe and spread as much despair as I could, to last for all the years I'd be missing.

That, or I'd just cry a lot.:D

square peg

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 3:26 AM
-->
I like to think I'll try and make a noticeable difference to peoples' lives, regarding socio-economic disadvantages and various other injustices. Perhaps something like what Will Smith does in 'Seven Pounds', if you've seen it.

But, knowing me, I'd probably sit on the couch eating instant noodles playing Xbox. Sad, innit?

Artifice Orisit

Oh oh oh oh... I'm so excited, I don't know what to do.

-Write the most enigmatic will ever written.
-Plan a satanic funeral in Jerusalem.
-Sell my body to science.
-Abuse peoples sympathy.
-Indulge my darker desires.
-Try to commit every possible crime & sin.
-Sow chaos and despair (anti-social ideals and nihilism).
-Abuse my body (drink, drugs, unprotected sex).
-Kill myself before the year is up, preferably in some highly theatrical way.
-etc...

Seriously, the actual list would be huge.

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
Oh oh oh oh... I'm so excited, I don't know what to do.

-Write the most enigmatic will ever written.
-Plan a satanic funeral in Jerusalem.
-Sell my body to science.
-Abuse peoples sympathy.
-Indulge my darker desires.
-Try to commit every possible crime & sin.
-Sow chaos and despair (anti-social ideals and nihilism).
-Abuse my body (drink, drugs, unprotected sex).
-Kill myself before the year is up, preferably in some highly theatrical way.
-etc...

Seriously, the actual list would be huge.

LoL that looks like my list.

Robert

Local time
-->
Become a street fighter!

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
-->
...would that motivate you to live life fuller and try harder to accomplish your goals? Or would knowing that it is the end unmotivate you? I mean, what's the point of trying any more if you know you're dead in a year, right?

Just wondering what you guys would do...

What's the point of doing anything if you know you're dead in a few decades? The difference between 70 years and one year seems pretty negligible from an objective perspective. I suppose the subjective one is what keeps us all going.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 12:26 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I guess the difference is the method of dieing. 70 years later you would probably drowned in pain, unable to do anything for yourself, and have to ask someone to poison you, while for 1 year you might be very healthy until the very time you die, alive and kicking, until a sudden quick painless death come (faster than L).
I would probably destroy something just for the fun of it. None of my project can finish in 1 year anyway.

NightCharm

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:26 AM
-->
I would likely travel the world for three or four months and then sit down and refuse to do anything but write, eat, and occasionally sleep until I had either completed the book I would write using my new enlightenment of the world or died.

That's the major plan for most of my life anyway, but as it currently stands I'm hoping for several years of high school and college before I start traveling (which in itself is hoped to be more than a few months). Writing must remain on a low level of confinement until then... unless, of course, I am told that I will die in X amount of time.

Top Bottom