• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I want to be released...

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 9:27 AM
-->
Does life seem like it's getting harder and harder? It seems like anxiety and stress continues to build inside of me. The world just keeps on demanding more from me. Demanding me to work, to go to school, to be responsible, to care for others, to conform! I can't see the end. It seems like an eternity of hardship. I'm a slave on a boat heading towards a storm.

I can't take it anymore!!! I want to be released! Will the day ever come when I will be released from the yoke of this world?

I can't explain what I'm feeling right now. It's like something is building up inside of me. I feel like I'm going to explode! I don't want to do anything anymore. I just want to close my eyes and dream...

Do you guys ever feel like this or is it just me? I feel like I'm going insane sometimes.

Sigh...I need to get some sleep...

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
Nope not just you. I know the exact feeling. I always get depressed when I think about society in general. It just isn't right. People really aren't free to do as they will. We live in a materialist society where your worth is often measured by what you have. I fucking hate it.

One way you can look at it is decide what it is you really want. Some one told me a story about some kid at 17 decided he was going to just go live in a cabin in the middle of the woods. I bet you he is completely satisfied with his decision. Do you really want that house with a white picket fence, a wife, two kids and a dog? I sometimes wonder this myself.

On a side note, I began to think of ways that I could apply my abilities to shape society into a form that I think is better. That way you can say you tried. My goal: cheap (or free) energy. Imagine the possibilites. This would completely change the game.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
Are you refrencing The Giver at all?
I know the feeling all too well,at least my own personal version of it.
I honestly have no advice that you don't know to begin with and that isn't very vague. Honestly, get some sleep. There are physical scientific reasons why not sleeping makes you feel like this and I know when I don't sleep I get si-ko. Suicidal, depressed, angry with myself etc etc.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 10:27 AM
-->
Does life seem like it's getting harder and harder? It seems like anxiety and stress continues to build inside of me. The world just keeps on demanding more from me. Demanding me to work, to go to school, to be responsible, to care for others, to conform! I can't see the end. It seems like an eternity of hardship. I'm a slave on a boat heading towards a storm.

I can't take it anymore!!! I want to be released! Will the day ever come when I will be released from the yoke of this world?

I can't explain what I'm feeling right now. It's like something is building up inside of me. I feel like I'm going to explode! I don't want to do anything anymore. I just want to close my eyes and dream....

That is exactly how I feel, oh, since about the beginning of the year? Everything seems like a burden, and like I'm exhausted and I just want to escape and dream....

I'm tired of fighting.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 6:27 PM
-->
I have this kind of thing happening, but I know that I cannot be released from my obligations and responsibilities. Until the roller coaster is over, there's no getting out or letting up. I know that things will be very good once it is over, and I have accepted that my life will be busy and full for many years.

While I don't regret it, I do wish that I had more time to do the things I am interested in and enjoy.

The only real release from it is when I sleep. But it seems like a blink of an eye before it's off to face the world again :D Ah well, you have to look at the bright side of things. Winter cometh!

twiztid

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:27 PM
-->
Why can't we gather up all the INTPs in the world, and create our own society on a private Island/beach in the middle of nowhere and live in peace and harmony.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Because not much would get done, and it probably wouldn't be the most organized place. I'd love to come for a vacation though. I've become really busy in college and I suspect that this is only the beginning.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
Why can't we gather up all the INTPs in the world, and create our own society on a private Island/beach in the middle of nowhere and live in peace and harmony.

I think we would all end up spending unreasonable amounts of time thinking of clever ways to kill each other.

Toad

Local time
-->
Fuck, maybe I'm just being a lazy ass. I guess everyone has to work hard. We have it a lot better than people in the past.

It all just feels so hopeless sometimes...Like what does it matter if I did all this or not? Is my life so important?

I wish I was retired already...

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Do you really want that house with a white picket fence, a wife, two kids and a dog? I sometimes wonder this myself.

I recently read The Catcher in the Rye for English class. A lot of it was about that question, and about the absurdity of such a narrow, homogeneous definition of success.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
I often find myself wishing for death to come, already. But I keep on living and there is that damned drive to continue to do so, meaning that when faced with a life/death situation I will almost surely choose this overrated thing called life.

Cheers. ^_^

Toad

Local time
-->
I recently read The Catcher in the Rye for English class. A lot of it was about that question, and about the absurdity of such a narrow, homogeneous definition of success.

So tell us more about what the book says. What do you think of the "White picket fences"?

Seems that the majority of my family is looking for this "white picket fence". All my cousins have gotten married at an early age and are all either settled down with kids or are seeking to settle down.

I can't do it...I can't imagine a life of "the American dream". I would be miserable...but they say that people who say they don't ever want something will eventually mature and succumb to it.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
The people I know who have the "white picket fence" suburban life are either duller than than bowling balls (and bowling) or are the most unhappy people you could ever hope to meet.....that isn't passed out drunk in an alley smelling of their own urine.

The way I see it, I have until the end of the universe to be dead so why hurry.

Toad

Local time
-->
The way I see it, I have until the end of the universe to be dead so why hurry.

U blow me away with these one liner's u have. You've blown my mind with other shit u've said before too. Good stuff!

I do enjoy bowling though...shit...

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Lol, enjoying bowling is not a problem.

On the subject of the white picket fence and the two kids and the dog and the "American dream": It's not the 1940s-1950s anymore. (By the way, that's when that book was written.) That is not the only acceptable way to live your life anymore, and people who say it is are probably missing something.

(As for other viable lifestyles, I don't really have any advice/anecdotes on that, but I think there are some on this forum who do.)

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
Ferret! Now I'm wanting to read that book again. I think I shall.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I may be the only one who didn't like Catcher much. I didn't like Holden as he reminded me too much of some of the spoiled, fuck up rich kids I went to school with.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
On the subject of the white picket fence and the two kids and the dog and the "American dream": It's not the 1940s-1950s anymore. (By the way, that's when that book was written.) That is not the only acceptable way to live your life anymore, and people who say it is are probably missing something.

Indeed. The "american dream" was the failed utopia of the 20th century, of our fathers and grandfathers. We need to find our own utopia for the 21st century, so that when we inevitably fail at it, at least it will be OUR failure, at least it would have been OUR dream that we passionately believed in and worked hard for.

Who wants to fabricate a fantastic future of fabulous fables and foreboding failures with me? Let us create the mythology for the new century, the collective delirium that drives mankind deeper into the absurd and unknown depths of time. Abandon we shall, this human condition, and inexorably push towards the Age of Oneiric Technology.

:elephant:

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
That would be great until Leonardo DiCaprio and some french people come and ruin everything.

Honestly though, for the past year I have been entertaining the idea of dropping out of school, work, forgetting about all of my ambitions, pack a backpack, and then just wander the world.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
That would be great until Leonardo DiCaprio and some french people come and ruin everything.

Honestly though, for the past year I have been entertaining the idea of dropping out of school, work, forgetting about all of my ambitions, pack a backpack, and then just wander the world.

Unfortunately 'freedom' requires a process, and schooling/education are useful tools in this process.

That being said, there is no 'right' way to live your life.

Toad

Local time
-->
There is no 'right' way. But everyone has to find 'their own' way to satisfy their lives. Decisions of consequences and 'wrong' decisions will create an unsatisfying life. I believe there are some universal 'bad' decisions that is the wrong way to live for everyone.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
There is no 'right' way. But everyone has to find 'their own' way to satisfy their lives.

People wander and shift in life, they are lacking so they seek to gain. When they have all they need, they no longer need to ove, so what it is they want or desire shifts and their motivations are still intact.

Decisions of consequences and 'wrong' decisions will create an unsatisfying life. I believe there are some universal 'bad' decisions that is the wrong way to live for everyone.

Everyone, that word may be a stretch and this is a matter of perspective. However, I understand where you're coming from.

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
It seems like value of anything is purely a social construct/delusion. Why do we need anything except to just survive, and if we survive what is the point... I think these are actually quite logical conclusions to our reality.

The desire to have sex and then have kids and then have the kids survive, sort of creates a self perpetuating need-machine. So that regardless of how you feel, now you have a job to do in this world... now you have a motivator to get things done.

We get mixed up in all of these demands, and it keeps pushing us... when we don't want to be pushed. We don't need all the things others need, we don't need the social pressure... it's all pointless.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
Why not just chill out at a zen center for the rest of your life?

Or at the very least, start dismantling some of the demands the world places on you. There's a way out. It may take a bit of work depending on what you're trying to unburden yourself with, but I think it's entirely possible to live life on your own terms.

contra_mundum

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I vote we take a bunch of wilderness survival courses, hunting, permaculture and the like and go find our island. Leo DiCaprio is welcome to come so long as he doesn't bring anyone else with him.

And as for us "sitting around thinking of creative ways to kill each other" well I'm willing to take the chance.

Weliddryn

Far too curious...
Local time
-->
I vote we take a bunch of wilderness survival courses, hunting, permaculture and the like and go find our island. Leo DiCaprio is welcome to come so long as he doesn't bring anyone else with him.

What group of INTPs can overcome their laziness to survive in the wilderness? ?_?

And as for us "sitting around thinking of creative ways to kill each other" well I'm willing to take the chance.

What plans have you already devised?

contra_mundum

Redshirt
Local time
-->
What group of INTPs can overcome their laziness to survive in the wilderness? ?_?

I think having to survive in the wilderness is reason enough to overcome your laziness.

How about the satisfaction of knowing that you're no longer part of the "rat race"... the disgusting society that you hate and are torn between falling off the grid or doing what you can to manage and flourish in "their" system?

I haven't devised any plans. I was just quoting what someone else said.

Toad

Local time
-->
I don't hate society. I just wish I was better able to live in it. I feel like I'm lost in a desert, but I have snow gear on. I just want to be better equipped...

contra_mundum

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't hate society. I just wish I was better able to live in it. I feel like I'm lost in a desert, but I have snow gear on. I just want to be better equipped...

Well, I hate society. However, your original post sounded all too familiar to me so I felt compelled to write something.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
... what's wrong with lamb curry?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
I dunno, I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere. It is pretty scenic but pretty much worthless as far as producing revenue. I do not have to see a single person unless I choose to. It seems like a good way to avoid the 'stress' of dealing with 'civilization" I am about an hour out from Oklahoma City so it is not unreasonable to head into town for a bout of shopping or entertainment, but I am always glad to get home. Civilization is a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there.
Needless to say my income has suffered because of a rural lifestyle, but hell when I was working for good money the government was just taking most of it away in taxes. I really do not think people are meant to live totally surrounded by people in every direction. I guess it would be okay if you really, really liked dealing with strangers on a continual basis...
I think just getting out into the countryside can be the best therapy for a lot of people. It can relieve that oppressive, depressive, What-the-Hell- is-the-use atmosphere that seems to permeate society in these days...

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Does life seem like it's getting harder and harder?
My life? No. It's a little easier than a year ago. I'm only working 70 hours a week now, it was up to 85 this time last year.
It seems like anxiety and stress continues to build inside of me. The world just keeps on demanding more from me. Demanding me to work, to go to school, to be responsible, to care for others, to conform! I can't see the end. It seems like an eternity of hardship. I'm a slave on a boat heading towards a storm.
Ah yes. I know these feelings. Did you see Forest Gump? Imagine yourself as Lt. Dan, riding out the storm on the ship.
Eventually, yes.
I can't explain what I'm feeling right now. It's like something is building up inside of me. I feel like I'm going to explode! I don't want to do anything anymore. I just want to close my eyes and dream...

Do you guys ever feel like this or is it just me? I feel like I'm going insane sometimes.

Sigh...I need to get some sleep...
Sleep is a useful diversion and it even sometimes works like a reset switch. Sometimes, just like an operating system, a person gets overloaded with crap and needs to be rebooted. Sleep can sometimes be like this rebooting.

Dave

Toad

Local time
-->
I like lamb curry. It's delicious. My favorite is deer curry though.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:27 AM
-->
I'm with you Toad. One thing I've found that helps is working towards achieving something. It gives you a boost and gets your motivation going. When that's up, you're much better equipped to do the other things that must be done (if you've decided to stick it out in this system).

Difficult to take that first step though. For me I move better when I stop thinking about it. No analysis, no mental gymnastics. Just do. Not sure if this is a good thing in the long run, but it produces results that we're ostensibly aiming for.

Toad

Local time
-->
Yes, I agree having a goal helps. Sometimes you lose sight of your goal though. Or something bad happens and it sets you back, making you want to just quit.

The first step is hard. Especially if it's a 50 foot high step lol...

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
Yes, I agree having a goal helps. Sometimes you lose sight of your goal though. Or something bad happens and it sets you back, making you want to just quit.

The first step is hard. Especially if it's a 50 foot high step lol...

Start looking for a ladder?

You sound like you know what you need to do. Just the doing is the hard part. I can definitely relate to that. Currently going through it myself.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
I agree with Waterstiller - I think you need to find a spiritual path and I think buddhism would be a good choice. If the rat race doesn't inspire you, then you need a non-material inspiration.

Let go of any notion that you have to gain the approval of others and then follow your dreams.

eudemonia

still searching
Local time
-->
what scares you? its probably your fear that stops you listening to yourself. Only when you face your fear will you be free. But its easier said than done. My fear was of mediocrity. It was only when I could face that fear of mediocrity and accept I was mediocre, that I started to be free. What I didn't anticipate was that you don't face your fear once; you keep facing it time and time again - what a pain life is.

That sense of life getting harder is the culmination of a choice you've got to make. Whose life are you living? Whatever choice you make, there will be costs. What are you prepared to sacrifice and what do you really want? You can't please both God and mammon - yeah, I know you're not a believer -but the equivalent is 'you can't please both yourself and society'. Choose. And face the consequences of your choice.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
For just $89.99 I'll give you 7 tips on how to be happier - of which 6 are legal in 43 states, and 4 of them come with my personal guarantee! For just $5.99 more, I'll even make your penis 1 inch longer and show you how to make a fortune on ebay. Call within the next 10 minutes, and I'll send you a knife so sharp it can split atoms for free!

Did that help cheer anyone up?

Toad

Local time
-->
lol wasn't it an ape paw?

aracaris

Local time
-->
I dunno, I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere. It is pretty scenic but pretty much worthless as far as producing revenue. I do not have to see a single person unless I choose to. It seems like a good way to avoid the 'stress' of dealing with 'civilization" I am about an hour out from Oklahoma City so it is not unreasonable to head into town for a bout of shopping or entertainment, but I am always glad to get home. Civilization is a nice place to visit, but I would not like to live there.
Needless to say my income has suffered because of a rural lifestyle, but hell when I was working for good money the government was just taking most of it away in taxes. I really do not think people are meant to live totally surrounded by people in every direction. I guess it would be okay if you really, really liked dealing with strangers on a continual basis...
I think just getting out into the countryside can be the best therapy for a lot of people. It can relieve that oppressive, depressive, What-the-Hell- is-the-use atmosphere that seems to permeate society in these days...

Yeah, I would love to live outside of the suburbs and city, all though not too far away. I do think it is indeed true not everyone is meant to live in some high population density place, even moderately high, for me it results in feeling smothered, like a bird trapped in an over crowded cage (and keeping birds in an over crowded cage leads to problems, and overcrowding can lead to all kinds of problems for humans too). I would like to have neighbors that don' t live so close by that it feels like an infringement upon my privacy.
But yeah, living in the country is expensive in the extreme, it's not uncommon for country side homes to get up around a million dollars or more around where I live.

As far as the life getting harder thing, for me it is in a sense, but not in the sense I wish it were. The lack of opportunities and stagnation is what makes things "difficult", I would rather be dealing with something which actually is a challenge, as well as an opportunity to learn and grow, than be just stuck in a rut, which is what my situation feels like. I'm working on making my own opportunities right now, since the world is offering me so few.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
hamster.jpg

Fghw

Local time
-->

I think youre taking laziness to a new level. I think survival is a good enough motivation.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 6:27 PM
-->
@Fghw Stop resurrecting 4 yr old threads to talk to people who are long gone and drop insubstantial one liners.

Top Bottom