• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Crappy signature?

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
Today 11:31 AM
-->
My daughter just brought me something to sign and I was just marveling at what a hideous signature I have. really. It is absolutely unintelligible. After signing something about a month ago at work, a guy told me that a bad signature is a sign of intelligence because the act of signing something itself is percieved as mundane and meaningless. Doctors are also known for bad signatures. I wonder if that is true. Do you all have bad signatures?

Moderators. Feel free to delete this if it is too frivilous. :)

Artifice Orisit

I just write my name, badly.

Why on earth do we have signitures anyway.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 12:31 PM
-->
everything i write is complete chicken scratch, not just my name. i am utterly incapable of writing in cursive because of my hand writing (and thats not even an exageration). my hand writing has not improved since first grade (that is also seriously not an exageration).

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 9:31 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I have messy handwriting, especially for a girl. ( I find that most girls have cute bubbly writing, and mine's the opposite.) It's easily legible though.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
everything i write is complete chicken scratch, not just my name. i am utterly incapable of writing in cursive because of my hand writing (and thats not even an exageration). my hand writing has not improved since first grade (that is also seriously not an exageration).

That's funny! I don't do cursive either! To me, It's like drunken slurred speech only in written form. All the letters just run together.

God. I must come off as such a nut job on this forum. :eek:

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
That's funny! I don't do cursive either! To me, It's like drunken slurred speech only in written form. All the letters just run together.

God. I must come off as such a nut job on this forum. :eek:

mine ends up huge. it'd probably take me half a sheet of paper and ten minutes (if you want it legible) just to write the words "Agent Intellect"

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 10:31 AM
-->
I have messy handwriting, especially for a girl. ( I find that most girls have cute bubbly writing, and mine's the opposite.) It's easily legible though.

I hate girl-bubbly. Death to bubbly! I find it even less legible that my chicken scratch... everything looks like Os...

I can actually write decently both print and cursive, but it has to be a very deliberate effort which takes me 5x the normal time. But usually I have this very fast mixture of print and cursive which is pretty much unintelligible to most people... too many letter-variants and ligature abuse (sometimes I just plainly eat letters off words)...

So yeah, my signature sucks too.

IfloatTHRUlife

Local time
-->
I don't think i know anyone who writes as bad as me. I have thought about it before, i bet it gives a bad first impression the people reviewing the applications i have put in. I feel bad for the teachers all throughout school...flipping through papers reading them then coming across mine and having to stop and decipher it. lol

Aphasia

Local time
Tomorrow 12:31 AM
-->
My signature consists of an easy to write squiggle that just happens to match my initial. My handwriting isn't much better.

@flo: Pity your teachers? Me too.

Dissident

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:31 PM
-->
Mine is my initials too, somewhat simple. As for handwriting in general, its not pretty but perfectly legible and quite fast so I feel no urge to improve it

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 5:31 AM
-->
After signing scores of traveler's cheques over a few weeks I just became thoroughly sick of my slow, cramped, illegible signature.

I designed myself a cypher after I returned home and used that ever since.

NoID10ts

aka Noddy
Local time
-->
The more I think about it, it must sound very arrogant of me to wonder if I have a bad signature because I am smart.

Maybe I'm just a complete moron that has never mastered the most basic of writing skills! I've met alot of very stupid people who believe themselves to be quite witty (at least I think they are stupid.......maybe they are witty!). I hope I'm not one of them............ but how could I actually know for sure? :eek:

I hate these introspective moments.

Fleur

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:31 PM
-->
I confess that I have kinda bubbly cursive handwritting... but it`s very large and hard-to-read anyway because of way I write particular letters, plus that "weird" capital E (looks like three stripes).

But there`s at least one good thing about having a crappy handwritting - nobody bothers me with asking to lend my notes.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:31 PM
-->
I just write my name quickly without paying attention to legibility. My handwriting's bad enough that that makes it look like a fancy signature.

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
-->
There is a pseudo-science that examines personality with handwriting. It is generally considered BS though.

My handwrites also poor. The tip pressure is far to great and it looks like I was carving my letters in stone. My hand cramps up if I write more than a paragraph.

I would be faster to correlate the poor quality of our hand writeing to INTPs computer preference before correlate it to intelligence.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
OMG! I do EXACTLY what Tekton does...

I hate when I'm forced to write cursive, in pen, for PAGES in english class, as I'll find my attention wavering and start to drift in and out of print...

mopo1

Local time
-->
Bad handwriting also after computers came why do you need a pen anymore?

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I can't write in print, but I've been writing in cursive since I was 6. It's deteriorated into a kind of bumpy line for a word, though. It could be badly written Arabic.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 6:31 PM
-->
Yup. My signature looks everytime differently but bad.
My handwriting is too very crappy. I mean, i can read it almost always, but other people oftentimes not. It's a mix of cursive and print and i cut words in the end too regularly (like when the last syllable consists of n and e and such small letters). Well, i write it but it resembles more a curved line than a letter.
But you know, i can read it, it is reasonably fast so why change it? If i have to i can write pretty (more legible that is) as well, but it really costs time and effort.

Ogion

Taylored

Local time
-->
My signature is simply a chicken scratch initial. I had a job for about a year where I had to sign my name at least 30 times a day. After my first week I just started initialing everything. I refuse to sign my actual name now.

My handwriting is not consistent at all. I cannot recognize my own handwriting half of the time, though I can usually read what it says.

Chimera

To inanity and beyond
Local time
-->
My signature is just my name in normal writing. Maybe someday I'll get around to cultivating an interesting one...but my name is so ridiculously boring, it might take a while.

I've been told a few times by my peers that my handwriting sparks a little envy. I really don't see how that's possible...my handwriting is jagged (I can't do bubbly), small (I write two lines per space in college-rule notebook paper), and I tend to connect random letters together (it lets me write faster.) Surprisingly, I've never had someone tell me that they can't read my writing.
If I actually make an effort, my handwriting looks beautiful. But I'm too lazy to keep it up.
I can't do cursive. I can't even remember how to write half the letters.
Oh, and I prefer pens over pencils every time. (:

*Stabbity*

Local time
-->
Messy handwriting to begin with, I write in print too. I hate cursive. I write my name quickly because I am lazy.

My dad, who is left handed, has the best penmanship of anyone I have ever seen. It's surreal!

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
-->
Like you guys my signature is just me writing down my name real quick since I can't be assed coming up with some fancy shmancy sign everyone else seems to have. Had to use a thumbprint for my bank account registration since I don't have a consistent signature.

God bless the keyboard. Also makes it so awesomely easier to write down japanese kanji I can't remember anyway... I wonder if I should be ashamed of that.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
My signature sucks and I don't care. My printing is not bad but, thanks to an extremely boring sociology teacher my cursive is perfect with minimal effort. The story is that I had to endure a professor who spoke in a painfully slow and quiet monotone voice about a subject is almost as interesting as paint drying marathon. I had read somewhere that prisoners in solitary confinement keep themselves from loosing their minds by sneaking in some sort of reading material and memorizing it. It is something for the mind to do to keep from going crazy. Well for me it was impossible to pay attention to my sociology professor, my mind kept drifting off so I decided to occupy it by writing my notes in the neatest cursive handwriting I could. This slowed my note taking down to his speed in fact It was even a challenge to keep up sometimes.
by the way, that summer I worked as a lifeguard at a pool. For about 8-10 hours a day I would have to listen to the local top 40 radio station that they piped in through the loudspeakers. This meant the same 4 or 5 songs every hour on the hour, day after day. I would have gone crazy had I not memorized every word to every song in order to occupy my brain with some sort of a challenge. I found it to be quite a useful boredom survival tool. But at the risk of hijacking yet another thread I will go back to the original topic. What was it? Oh yea, crappy signature. That's right. Yea mine is bad also.

Hammett

Local time
Tomorrow 3:01 AM
-->
Hell even I can’t read my writing and I’m pretty sure my signature has morphed so much with the scrawl I use that it’s not even my name that I’m signing any more. I'd be screwed if I couldn't use a computer.

Gorgrim

Local time
Today 6:31 PM
-->
my signature is my name + lastname. It's pretty much the same way each time, but not really as exact as any of my family members. And i always wondered why I couldnt really force myself to learn a decent signature. when i turned in things in class I would make an effort so the teacher could read it.

I've been told well over 25 time's that my writing is ugly.. mostly girls mention it. Usually only I can read it properly, if it's small things im writing down. I only do print.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Writing = bad.
I've always either done a scratchy, slurred hand writting, or taken an extremly long time to attempt to make it look nice at the demands of my perfectionist mother. Also, I'm left handed and so smudge my writting. However, when I write in cursive, though unintelligable, I think all the slanty-swirly ness looks nice. I've always enjoyed writting cursive "j"s and "f"s and "q"s. Annoyingly enough, my name has none of these nice letters in it, so my signature looks either unreadable or unbearably bland.

Death

..still alive
Local time
-->
I have good handwriting,not cursive but normal.I also have been praised by my peers for having good handwriting.Most of the time,I'm use a pen with small nip (0.5) and whenever I write with larger ball pen,it starting to get a bit messy.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I got a piece of handwritten work back from a (INTJ, I think) teacher today, it made me laugh. He had scored out the word "mess" and written "mess" above it - it was illegible enough that he thought it said something else. He had edited in a "be" before "last", thinking it said "lost"; he had corrected what was an e and looked like an a to an e, and what was an a and looked like an e to an a; he added an f where there was one already, he wrote "must" above what was meant to be "must"... My handwriting really is dire.

Tempestas

who purgatoried their torsos night after night wi
Local time
-->
My signature is massive. And it's only five letters.

I can read my writing, but other people have difficulty with a few words. Its this mixture of cursive and print; I don't remember cursive anymore.

I just hate writing in general. I prefer typing- its much faster and comes with spell check. ^^ I'd much rather use pens and pencils to just draw with.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I used to do a lot of graphology, so I looked into this extensively. Very seldom does a single trait, like forgetting to cross your t's, indicate something. There have to be multiple signs to back it up.

Illegible handwriting, if it is written quickly, can indicate a mind going faster than the pen (hence high intelligence), secretiveness, or disregard for what others think.

The girl bubbly handwriting you describe, which is very round and mostly in the middle zone (not the upper zone of tall letters or the lower zone where tails go), shows someone who is friendly and cooperative and cares about what is going on around them and what others think. It doesn't show intellectual interests, but lots of social interests. Sort of ESFx. I don't like it either.

Printed writing often indicates a technical mind, training as a draftsman, or a strong desire to communicate clearly.

A few other signs of intelligence are angular writing, clear numerals, and a tall upper zone (letters like h and l). Disconnected writing can mean intuition, while connected writing indicates perseverance.

Death, no, you aren't the only one here with nice writing. I work at it.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I worked on my signature, because I didn't want it to be too easy to replicate. In doing so I made it easier to read. I have a good signature.

According to Trebuchet, my signature would be intelligent.

When I simply write my writing varies to a degree that it would be difficult to classify it. I'm inconsistent.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Two years after I graduated high school, my sister had the same English teacher I had. For some reason he loved my writing and kept some of the things I'd written around. He found my hand writing difficult to read, so he had my sister translate them into legible writing.

illiterategenius

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Mine has evolved, er, devolved into an initial hump followed by a sharp line. I used to teach and the students could never forge the signature.

I also have a hard time judging the space my handwriting will take up so when I used to work in the corporate world and had to sign the obligatory birthday cards my note would look awkward.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm in a typography class and i had a quiz today. I used my typically messy handwriting to answer the questions. I'm now a bit worried he might critique my handwriting even though all my answers were correct :slashnew:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
My signature is quite dull I suppose. It starts of as my first initial, then a full stop, then the first three letters of my surname are just about legible, then the rest of it is a hurried scribble

nemo

Local time
Tomorrow 3:31 AM
-->
I'm currently 'designing' a Chinese signature. My mum's signature is also in Chinese - but it looks more like a zig-zag scribble. That's where I got the idea from, because I wanted a signature that would be hard to forge.

My handwriting is ghastly. Teachers have written on exams, 'too hard to read', and I found out the reason my friend didn't reply to my letters was because she couldn't read my writing. The thing is, I can't write as fast as I think, and so when I'm writing a letter or in my journal, the writing will get more and more illegible as I try to write faster as my thoughts wander off in multiple directions and I want to write all of them down. I still like writing better than typing though. It feels more 'personal'. :)

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
-->
I dislike cursive, I don't see any logical reason for using it. When we started learning it in school I refused out rightly as I thought it was incredibly stupid. I even challenged the teacher that I could write faster in my normal style than he could in cursive.

I write my signature in the same style I ordinary write so while it's not flashy it does the job.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
My writting style is cursive and it become unreadable once I start to write fast (it is the government policies to teach children cursive charset).
My first signature is totally unreadable because it is too cursive. It becomes the breaking point when I cannot repeat my signature at all and got problem with a bank account and a custom procedure. So I crap it altogether.
Now I think a random number (at least 20 digit long) every time and write it in calculator's format as my signature. :angel:Sure it is easy to duplicate, but I will keep changing the number. If I ever need to repeat a signature, I can do it with ease. A small problem is that the friendly customer service girl (a lot of them are friendly) tend to have a little chat with me about why my signature is a number.

severus

Local time
-->
I used to sign my name in sloppy cursive, but it's too long. So now I sign my first and last initials in sloppy cursive. Lowercase and misshapen, too.

Normal writing is mostly print, but some of my letters end up connected anyway, particularly the e's. Normal sized, tall and skinny and slanted at varying degrees. Apparently I "push" my pen instead of "pulling" it. And I move my wrist/hand instead of my arm. But that's society's fault!

I never thought my handwriting was bad until I was writing out something for a group project. My partners asked me who was supposed to read that? Hmph, it's not that bad. Better than having that "legible," bubbly, girls' handwriting. How do they all write exactly the same way? My speech teacher uses it, looks like she's in fifth grade.

I recently bought a calligraphy pen, just for fun. It takes me way too long to make my handwriting look fancy though. Normally I go with gel pens. Ball points require too much pressure.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The bubbly girls' handwriting isn't all that legible, I find. I just volunteered to enter a bunch of contact information submitted by parents at my child's kindergarten. About half of them were bubbly girls' handwriting, and about half of those were illegible. Is that round loopy thing an a or an o? Is that numeral a 2 or a 7? It isn't always clear when you are trying to decipher e-mail addresses.

I wonder, is the bubbly girls' handwriting common in Europe? It is very similar to the way American children are taught to write, very round. That is why it looks so childish. It is.

But when I have seen handwriting from, say, Germany or South Korea, it has inevitably been smaller, more angular, more focused, even among bubbly girls who mostly grew up in the US, as long as they first learned to write abroad.

Are there any Europeans here who have observed girls' handwriting over there?

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
I take great pride in my signature, however hideous it may be.

subterralien

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:31 AM
-->
handwriting is just like drawing. you can become better at it if you try.

one day i was thinking, "i write a lot, i read it over and over and over, and hope someday people will read it too.... this needs to be legible." so i started practicing my handwriting, and its turned out to be pretty stylized/cool/legible. just have the will to do so.

Luzian

Local time
-->
INTP females are males

Top Bottom