• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

what happens when an intp gets motivated?

Mello

Gone.
Local time
Today 9:23 AM
-->
We stop at nothing to achieve our goal even if it involves clubbing baby seals to death. :D

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
Today 5:23 PM
-->
Usually I don't know how to go about it.

Eventually the indecision fries what's left of my mind, and I come down with a bad case of amnesia and start from scratch. :D

To be honest, none of my goals have lastest long enough for me to unleash any potential. Especially since, for me, 98% of the process is thinking things through. If I can't come up with a flawless plan I give up. In that respect I'm not very spontaneous... Some things I can work with on the fly, but I have to know I'm investing my time in something worthwhile.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
It becomes an obsession. I'll plan an entire week around finishing a goal, starting as soon as I wake up, and staying up late working on it. Apetite, need for sleep, friends, family, all of that is ignored until I am done.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Well... Talk about last minute for me lol

I have to do a 15 minute presentation tomorrow (technically today) on how my dissertation (which I have yet to start) is coming along.

I figure if I sleep now for 3 hours and then jumble something together in the morning I'll be able to blag my way through it. I have already collected many images of turtles and tortoises (including the TMNT) to smother my slides with.

My Dissertation has nothing to do with animals in any way or form.

How do you think I'll do?

How I wish I was more focused on singular tasks... lol

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
adymus is an intj! lol my thread was a P/J filter

jk jk its not but that sounds very disciplined of you adymus planning and hopefully executing your plans how often do you make plans?

now that question is P/J filter

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
adymus is an intj! lol my thread was a P/J filter

jk jk its not but that sounds very disciplined of you adymus planning and hopefully executing your plans how often do you make plans?

now that question is P/J filter

I forgot to mention that I have not been able to get into that state of mind since 2007. It has to be a project that I am super excited about, otherwise I'll just work on it for a couple hours and get sick of it. Or just procrastinate... but yeah, I wish I could harness that kind of drive to follow through all of my projects.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
Today 12:23 PM
-->
I'll procrastinate and it'll eventually get done...eventually...

unquenchable dying passion? Yeah right.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
guys,fellow lazy intps, underachievers, it is easy to get into that state of mind of productivness without snorting adderall. all you have to do is think one thought, one desire over and over again.

just one thought

Emil

Absent-minded Professor
Local time
Today 9:53 PM
-->
I'd launch myself at it with great energy and enthusiasm, spent some time trying to achieve it, and then as it gets boring, I'd slowly withdraw from it. But, If my interest is strong enough, I may be able to achieve it, before I run out of interest. :)

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
Today 11:23 AM
-->
Well, I was motivated earlier to eat something, and set a goal to make a sandwich. I completed the goal and it was AWESOME! I felt so fat and happy.

As for goals of significance? Passion tends to be one of the few positive emotions that is abundant in me and sometimes, as others have said, reality takes a back seat. My biggest problem is keeping my passion pointed in one direction long enough to actually accomplish something that would benefit anyone.

Generally I am pretty oblivious to the majority of society's "real life."

Marbas

Keeplookingblowfly
Local time
-->
This order:

Obsession
Forgetting to eat
Oh dear lord where did the time go?
Hey, twenty pages of work completed! Woo.
Collapses from exhaustion
Repeat until done

Basically something like that for me. But not sure about me being intp sooooooo yeah.

boradicus

And as he gazed her eyes were filled with the dark
Local time
Today 10:23 AM
-->
"...This can be particularly difficult for Introverted Thinking types because they are most energized when they can work independently and with intense focus on challenging problems." --from "Was That Really Me," by Naomi L. Quenk, PhD

The "P" part of INTP simply refers to the individual's preference for the extroversion of either his/her dominant or auxiliary function, while the "I" stands for the energetic preference of the individual. Because "P" in this case (preference for Perceptive Function) denotes a preference for extroversion of the Perceptive Axis over the Judgment Axis, Intuition (N) is determined to be an extroverted function; hence INTPs have "Ne" or a preference for Extroverted Intuitive Functionality. The energetic preference, in this case "I" or Introversion, identifies which axis (Judgment or Perception) is the preferred dominant axis. In the case of an INTP, because according to Jung-Meyers theory there is an inverse energetic preference between dominant and auxiliary functions (i.e., if one axis - F/T | N/S - is extroverted the other axis will be introverted), the Judgment Axis (which in this case is the preference for Thinking, "T") is necessarily Introverted.

Now just to briefly complete to model, the tertiary and inferior functions are the diametric inverses of the dominant and auxiliary functions respectively.

Hence, because of the way that an introvert gains his/her energy, "Ti" or Introverted Thinking, can and will be applied most assiduously to that end.

I have also read that INTPs have an uncanny ability to stay with a problem for protracted periods of time. Although I have seen no confirmation of Mr. Nash's MBTI, he expressed once that he was unique in his ability to do just this with regard to others in his field. It has been speculated that his type may have been INTP or perhaps INTJ. With respect to the knowledge I have acquired, however, from reading Nash's biography, A Beautiful Mind, I am of the opinion that he was much more of an Introverted Thinker (Ti) than and Extroverted Thinker (Te), because of the detached flexibility with which he perceived reality, which in its extremity tended toward "schizophrenia," whether or not this diagnosis is empirically correct (see Philip K. Dick's 'The Martian Time Slip' for his ideas regarding "schizophrenia" and the psychological vulnerabilities of intuitive visionaries - most likely those gifted with a high degree of extroverted intuition - such as himself).

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I tell you what... Lady Luck favours the bold (and lazy). It turns out my lecturer was off ill and so my presentation has been postponed :D

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
When I'm motivated I focus completely on the task and neglect absolutely everything else. This ends most commonly in me collapsing from exhaustion about 5 or so days into it, unless the task is accomplished before that time frame. Alternatively, some asshole or other external force nags with enough insistence that one must stop, which inevitably provokes loud and lengthy concatenations of expletives, general viciousness, and murderous fantasy, and the incapacity to regain the lost drive.

Extended periods of motivation for tasks that require more time are extremely unfrequent. In fact I have forgotten how long it has been since the last one. :slashnew:

guys, fellow lazy intps, underachievers, it is easy to get into that state of mind of productivness without snorting adderall. all you have to do is think one thought, one desire over and over again.

just one thought

Just one thought? Like hell that will ever happen!

Just give me the adderall now, mmkay? I've been meaning to get me some.

I tell you what... Lady Luck favours the bold (and lazy). It turns out my lecturer was off ill and so my presentation has been postponed :D

I pretty much relied on that all my high-school and now university... I was always miraculously saved by some odd contrivance of coincidence whenever I neglected my responsibilities... it worked so well that at one point I almost started to believe that the universe was actually under my direct influence and that failure was in fact impossible... that was, of course, before I started failing classes epically. :rolleyes: (I got better...ish)

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:23 AM
-->
Obsession to the point of being ridiculous, then slumping back into distraction-mode until obsession takes over again.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
We stop at nothing to achieve our goal even if it involves clubbing baby seals to death. :D

I can't remember clubbing any baby seals to death lately. Is that faulty memory or bad conscience?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
what happens when an intp gets an unquenchable dying passion to finish one goal?

ever happen to any of you guys?

Nothing so far. I have my doubts it'll get finished. Every once in a while I return to it. Need a Muse. I asked my wife but she has no interest whatsoever, lol. I don't want to talk about this now. Maybe later. You asked.

thisisnotaname

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I tend to become fixed on a certain subject or goal, I use information that I have previously gained to expand what ever idea I am trying to decipher. Worldly obligations fall by the wayside, which can be frustrating because I don't notice that I am being neglectful until after the "storm". This could last for hours or days, usually no longer than that. I wear myself out on a single subject, then leave it alone. I do however tend to come back to subjects later after they've cooled off and I've rested my mind, putting it to use on something different.
What is also frustrating is that I usually don't ever come to a solid conclusion, and I'm never happy with the outcome if I do "finish". There's always something more that I feel I need to know. I am the perpetual amateur.

boradicus

And as he gazed her eyes were filled with the dark
Local time
-->

Gunnarsson

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:23 PM
-->
I can't remember clubbing any baby seals to death lately. Is that faulty memory or bad conscience?
Warranty void if seal is broken. You are clearly trying to make a fraudulent warranty claim after breaking your seals.

But more on topic: If I get seriously motivated, get out of my way. Baby seals, peoples feelings and just about anything else may end up in trouble otherwise.

Mary

ad nauseam
Local time
-->
It becomes an obsession. I'll plan an entire week around finishing a goal, starting as soon as I wake up, and staying up late working on it. Apetite, need for sleep, friends, family, all of that is ignored until I am done.

Very, very rarely this happens to me. I'll get so excited about something I just focus completely on it.

But, like I said, this is very rare.
:)

lafmeche

Inmate#2626
Local time
-->
I have to mirror what others are saying about near-obsession, forgetting to eat, losing time, etc. I rarely get motivated about things other than my own pet projects, though. With those, however, I often will get halfway into it, make a small mistake or find a better method, and restart from scratch. Again.

As often as not, I'll get distracted by some shiny new theory/project/game/whatever in the middle that I need to analyze to death and forget about the original project until 1-5 years later. If I follow it through to the end, though, it damn well will be perfect.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Once I really start something It's VERY hard to stop. I can easily work on a project for 3 hours straight.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
what happens when an INTP gets motivated?

the same thing that happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

yeah.

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 11:23 AM
-->
what happens when an intp gets an unquenchable dying passion to finish one goal?

good sir...you have just created a time paradox by asking this question, have fun with your nothingness...but hey, at least you have some cool adjectives to hang out with for the rest of eternity.:smiley_emoticons_mr....and bats....you will apparently also have bats to hang out with as well......................

Yea but no... that whole "Unquenchable dying passion"....nope, never happens to me...sorry about that.

all you have to do is think one thought, one desire over and over again.

just one thought

Okay I definitely gotta side with Kuu on this one...I mean...Do you know how fukkin hard that is to do!?!?!?!?

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
That happened to me more than once.

Once I sought to make my fifth grade science fair project spectacular, so I obsessed over that for three months ahead of the date the project was actually assigned, and then spent the final two weeks doing little more than working on the project.

My experiment (how heat loss correlates with fluid densiy) was, indeed, pretty good for fifth grade, but I was never happy with it. To this day I wish I had left out the "orange juice with pulp" variable because the pulp screwed with my results. It was not a uniform liquid, and the pulp rose to the top creating a greenhouse effect, I think.

But I digress...

Currently I have quite a few over-arching life goals which if they are not accomplished will either result in complete personality death, or regression to becoming a permanent hermit. Or both.

This scares me, but I cannot change it. Because my goals are set so high I'm nearly certain to fail, but I'll have a go at it anyway. Being a hermit could be fun, maybe.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
what happens when an INTP gets motivated?

the same thing that happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

yeah.
The unstoppable object smashes the Immovable object to pieces.

"Immovable" is pretty damn specific, never said anything being unbreakable.

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
-->
The game Dragon Age: Origins did this to me...
I clocked in 94 hours in 5 consecutive days (That was the time it took me to beat every single quest available to me, including all the DLC).

I can't (and don't want to) imagine what would happen to me if I got addicted to an MMORPG like that :storks:

Branden

Redshirt
Local time
-->
This usually only happens to me when i become immersed in a project/problem. Time usually begins to disappear. I forget to eat, or sleep, or anything else really. I become very internally focused.
The only problem is that while i may be able to lose track of the time for a period, there is always an unpredictable snippet of time at which i suddenly become completely disinterested and either just want to finish, or walk away completely. Though this particular time variates in each situation based on interest.

More like as x approaches passion(i.e. infinity for an INTP), the limit is the amount of interest I have in the subject matter, and by actually focusing on that matter, i will subsequently solve the real problem which was really just the measure of my own interest, in time(T) or hours attempted.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Tomorrow 12:23 AM
-->
Procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate, TERMINATOR MODE GIT R DONE RAWR

FrostFern

Local time
-->
Whether I experience that kind of motivation is strongly dependent on certain factors. It seems the correlation between adeptness in a task and level of interest in a task is much higher for me than it is for most people. I tend to put off tedious activities. For me boredom is the enemy.

Ungomma

Local time
Today 7:23 PM
-->
Ah. I can't remember the last time I was motivated for anything... :confused:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Ah. I can't remember the last time I was motivated for anything... :confused:
I'm trying to remember any circumstances where I wasn't motivated. I think it had something to do with not being involved. Get involved and one is motivated one way or the other. Could that be the truth?

Today I'm too motivated. By that I mean I have a lot of things I want or need to do. I have to create a list because I don't remember them all. Every once in a while I check the list and get some satisfaction checking off what is done. The list(s) seems to get longer and longer though. Many things get shoved by the wayside. I think part of this is due to my fear of having nothing to do. Not sure. What do you think?

Shmo

contentedly confused
Local time
-->
Oh, I suffer from unquenchable passions on a regular basis. Once a week I feel like "this is it, my life will be different now. I have found my meaning in life."

However, my passions always get written to a sector in my head that gets zeroed every night.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
It will result in amazing things. Most mostly mind-bending paradoxes that will tear away the very fabric of the universe.

Seriously. I KNOW INTP's have far more capabilities and power than anyone gives them credit for, even other INTP's. If it were possible to uninhibitedly tap into the raw brainpower and problem-solving areas in which INTPs excel in, a number of the world's problems could be fixed in the most efficient way possible in a short amount of time. The truth is that no problem, regardless of how complicated it is, is only a chaotic system whose entire purpose is to be organized (or vice-versa). The amazing thing about INTPs is their ability to look at a problem as nothing more than it is; to be able to see into the heart of it and tear it apart to derive a solution. Quite unsettling, if you think about the amazing (and terrible) things an INTP could accomplish. If this is applied to real-time situations, the possibilities are almost endless. I am currently working on this, and will let you guys know when my work comes to fruition (yes, doing something unnatural requires some work, and I think that is why most INTPs don't even bother). I think the results shall be rather satisfactory. If such potential could be tapped, knowledge and ability in any number of subjects and situations could be greatly multiplied in a fraction of the time.

typus

is resting down in Cornwall
Local time
Today 6:23 PM
-->
Has this ever happened to anyone here? If so, I really want to know what it was about.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Has this ever happened to anyone here? If so, I really want to know what it was about.
I've had semi-motivation. Even that was somewhat interesting, but it did not last long.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
It will result in amazing things. Most mostly mind-bending paradoxes that will tear away the very fabric of the universe.

Seriously. I KNOW INTP's have far more capabilities and power than anyone gives them credit for, even other INTP's. If it were possible to uninhibitedly tap into the raw brainpower and problem-solving areas in which INTPs excel in, a number of the world's problems could be fixed in the most efficient way possible in a short amount of time. The truth is that no problem, regardless of how complicated it is, is only a chaotic system whose entire purpose is to be organized (or vice-versa). The amazing thing about INTPs is their ability to look at a problem as nothing more than it is; to be able to see into the heart of it and tear it apart to derive a solution. Quite unsettling, if you think about the amazing (and terrible) things an INTP could accomplish. If this is applied to real-time situations, the possibilities are almost endless. I am currently working on this, and will let you guys know when my work comes to fruition (yes, doing something unnatural requires some work, and I think that is why most INTPs don't even bother). I think the results shall be rather satisfactory. If such potential could be tapped, knowledge and ability in any number of subjects and situations could be greatly multiplied in a fraction of the time.
I pick up your post which I think deserves answering. I don't have a finished answer though. A question is, if INTP's are so skilled, why do they fail to come up with results when they fail?

Although INTP's have the problem solving skills, data input to the problem is required. One can collect too little data or too much. The latter is hard to sort. If the latter, one is overwhelmed. If the former, some sort of action is required to get hold of the missing data. That is where INTP's fall short. They are poor at action.

What do you think?

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I pick up your post which I think deserves answering. I don't have a finished answer though. A question is, if INTP's are so skilled, why do they fail to come up with results when they fail?

Although INTP's have the problem solving skills, data input to the problem is required. One can collect too little data or too much. The latter is hard to sort. If the latter, one is overwhelmed. If the former, some sort of action is required to get hold of the missing data. That is where INTP's fall short. They are poor at action.

What do you think?
Hell, I don't know. Is there any option in your thoughts which involves the collection of the right amount of data?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Hell, I don't know. Is there any option in your thoughts which involves the collection of the right amount of data?

Yes. One waits to judge the right amount of data for action. The right amount of data is a balance between too little to act in an informed manner and too much to not be able to sort out what to do. How does one tell when one has this balance? Answer: intuition or Ne. How does one tell when one has good intuition? Answer: Experience. It "feels" right or at least good enough.

Note if one has too little experience one can feel toward taking action according to past experience: fear or recklessness or excitement. I'm not sure if one can have too much experience. Not sure what that means.

jachian

Local time
-->

I usually reach my potential, get great results when am pressured........ If not I over analyse and procastinate..........

I must be motivated and if things are collapsing around me......... and there are people counting on me....... like they'll be in serious problems if i dont deliver.... amazingly I get things done............ on the very last second....... but with a genius of an effort.

Im thinking that perhaps more INTPs need to get themselves involved in very difficult and high risk situations to really see themselves do great things.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
When I get sufficiently motivated, I get more energetic and talkative (I will tell everyone around me about my wonderful ideas even if they don't care), forget my need for sleep, and hyperfocus on whatever I'm motivated on. In the past, this has usually happened for art projects and sometimes papers. It also happens when I procrastinate. I somehow summon a burst of energy and can be really productive and pull an all nighter, barely feeling the consequences of that the next day.

Top Bottom