• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you all reading?

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 10:52 AM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
at the moment im reading the descent, next im thinking about inheritance by Christopher Paolini, or maybe i can try to read beezelbub's tales to his grandson, the last time i tried my head nearly exploded.

Nibbler

Being brains, they feel compelled to know everythi
Local time
Today 3:52 AM
-->
at the moment im reading the descent, next im thinking about inheritance by Christopher Paolini, or maybe i can try to read beezelbub's tales to his grandson, the last time i tried my head nearly exploded.

The last book I tried reading was God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens last year. I made it most of the way through but got bogged down on other work. I want to read Sam Harris, Dennett, Bart Ehrman and a few others. But religious philosophy isn't my main interest in non fiction. I usually read anything that tells me how interesting things and interesting industries work.

I'm mostly a fan of non fiction, but in my adult life I've read and remember as excellent:

The Nonexistent Night, Italo Calvino
Short Stories, Jorge Luis Borges
Candide, Voltaire (several times)
Written on the Body, Jeannette Winterson
Harry Potter (ha)

When I was 11, I checked out Ivanhoe to see what it was all about. I could not make it past the 2nd page. Maybe I oughta try that now.

Nibbler

Being brains, they feel compelled to know everythi
Local time
-->
By the way, seven years ago I read Atlas Shrugged for no reason other than knowing it existed, and I could not put it down. I know I'm supposed to hate Ayn Rand, but I sorta liked it.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
Today 6:52 AM
-->
By the way, seven years ago I read Atlas Shrugged for no reason other than knowing it existed, and I could not put it down. I know I'm supposed to hate Ayn Rand, but I sorta liked it.
It's a pretty well-written book. I liked it as well, despite the philosophy being horribly, completely wrong with reference to capitalistic ideals. The concept of all the smart people in a society saying "screw you" and leaving to start their own community is appealing to me.

keekins

Local time
-->
I just finished reading The Bell Jar and the Screwtape Letters, two really, really good books.

I'm also reading The Portrait of Dorian Gray, and two philosophy books. One is about philosophy and coffee, and one is philosophy and Doctor Who. REALLY interesting books.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->
I'm reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov, one of the great space-opera authors. It was recommended by a fellow INTP and is well worth reading.

C.J_Finn

Local time
Today 5:52 AM
-->
Right now I'm bouncing between "The sun also rises" by Ernest Hemingway and "The varieties of the scientific experience" by Carl Sagan. I'm enjoying both.
The first book I mentioned is also my first Hemingway novel, and I'm really enjoying the way he describes the characters. He makes them seem real which is a quality that I really like in authors. The only thing I dislike (and this isn't Hemingway's fault) is the overall sense of dread that I get from reading this book since it takes place in France in the late 1920s and we all know what happened there at the end of the following decade.
I'm only about 30 pages into the one by Sagan, so I haven't had much time to form an opinion at this point.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
I read The Sun Also Rises last year, also my first Hemingway, and I really enjoyed it, though it took me a little to get into it.

Right now I am reading QED, The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard Feynman, A Devils Chaplin - Reflections on Hope, Lies, Science and Love by Richard Dawkins, Anantomy of Love: The Natural History of Monogamy, Adultery and Divorce by Helen E. Fisher and As I Lay Dying by Faulkner.

psion

used to fly like Peter Pan
Local time
-->
This thread is just adding to my already impossible list of 'to-reads', thanks for that. I'm currently reading Death Masks by Jim Butcher, the fifth book in the Dresden Files series. Too funny. :D

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Going to start Kafka tonight. Tried to start writing my novel today. Gave up. Came here. Was an INTP and started something not to finish it. Tomorrow skateboarding.

Cosmic

Local time
-->
took a break from Crime and Punishment to start Dracula. took a break from Dracula to reread Demian in Spanish.

Wasp

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a serious
Local time
-->
Currently read the His Fair Assassin series, Article 5, and Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith.

Peripheral Visionary

Eye In Tee-Pee
Local time
-->
Reading now: With Charity Toward None: A Fond Look at Misanthropy by Florence King

Recently read: The Myth of Psychotherapy by Thomas Szazs.
The Sellected Essays of Gore Vidal.
Gilligan Unbound: Pop Culture in the Age of Globilization by Paul Cantor
(2nd reading)
Confronting Violence by Rory Miller
The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson

Dabling in between: From These Ashes: The Complete SF short stories of Frederic Brown

Local time
-->
Working my way through the Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm somewhere in the second book, but it's hard to tell how far, because I'm reading on a Kindle, and it's one big e-book containing the first four books. The first book was better than the second, but it's still a fun read.

I think I'm going to read Jung's Psychological Types, and maybe find some other Jung or MBTI books to read. I've got a 13-hour flight tomorrow, so I should get a lot of reading done.

Sanctum

Local time
-->
I am reading the all mightly Lord of the Flies in class i just finished maze runner (not assigned to me) im gonna go to barnes and nobles tomorrow and look for another book.

MizKodomo

Local time
Today 4:52 AM
-->
Back after a reading hiatus- didn't get as much finished as I'd like. Finished short story collection Welcome to the Monkey House By Kurt Vonnegut- always fun. Finished The Reivers by William Faulkner, and, again, it was fun. Re-reading Slaughter House Five, and forever reading The Fountainhead. Bleh. I will get to Satanic Verses at some point- I just have a stack of books I'm slowly working my way through, both physically and nook. On top of independent study and portfolio work, I must say it's hard to prioritize what to start next xD.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Just got through 'Mythologies' and the collection of essays 'image-music-text' by Roland Barthes. I really like his thinking, helped me express a lot of things I felt I knew intuitively but couldn't verbalise otherwise.

Also just finished the graphic novel 'Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth' by Chris Ware, which is fantastic.

Currently on 'The Castle' by Franz Kafka. I want to start on King's 'The Shining' at some point to..

:storks:

Hanniba1

Alien in my own skin
Local time
Today 4:52 AM
-->
I'm currently working on "Tigana" it's a wonderful standalone fantasy.
The world where Tigana takes place is a planet orbited by two moons. Kay notes that some of his readers tried to connect Tigana with A Song for Arbonne speculating the stories take place on the same fictional world, orbited by two moons; Kay explained that he only repeated the same theme rather than attempting to expand his canon.[1]
Action is centered on the Peninsula of the Palm which shares a common culture and language, but, like medieval Italy, is not a unified nation, comprising instead nine provinces with a long history of internecine struggle. The provinces are: Asoli, Astibar, Certando, Chiara, Corte, Ferraut, Senzio, Tigana, and Tregea. With great subtlety, Kay conveys the fact that all this takes place in the Southern Hemisphere of the unnamed world.
This internal conflict facilitates the conquest of the region by two powerful sorcerers: Brandin, the King of Ygrath, and Alberico, an independent warlord from the empire of Barbadior. The two sorcerers conquered simultaneously but independently the peninsula, and have divided it in an uneasy balance of power.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Finished "The Trial." Going to start on "Oblivion" by good ol' David Foster Wallace. Then I'm moving on to Vonnegut for old times sake. The next couple weeks are looking good.

I might try "Tigana" too. That sounds pretty interesting.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
Reading Evolution in Four Dimensions. Pretty interesting, really just trying to learn through a medium outside of school.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
i am currently very interested in star wars books specifically the ones that shed light on the sith. so i am started with the darth bane trilogy and then start on the lost tribe of the sith series, any suggestions would be welcome from my fellow nerds.

Sanctum

Local time
-->
I currently picked up The Fountain Head by Ayn Rand despite my dislike of her and In cold blood by Truman Capote

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
-->
Book I'm going to read:

Consolation of Philosophy, Boethius

GeneralPatton

4 Star
Local time
-->
I have only recently begun reading, as in the past my philosophy was simply why read the book when you can watch the movie. Oddly enough, when I watched the movie John Carter I had the desire to know more of the story. I then read the entire John Carter of Mars series, and found it quite entertaining. Followed that up with the Carson of Venus series, and then the Pellucidar series. All by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I'm about to start his Caspak series. Roughly, I read about 10k pages in 2 weeks in those three series.:smoker:

Manic

Local time
-->
Just finished Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, started A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. Have read a slew of classics in recent months for English Lit classes. Always have a couple of non-fiction books going as well and a big stack in standby.

Deridaburi

Local time
-->
Outliers
The Power of Habits
The Black Swan
Fooled By Randomness
Tipping Point
What The Dog Saw
Blink

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Under the Dome
Wild Palms
Rachel Papers
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
Are We Rome?
Cryptonomicon
Manufacturing Consent
Cosmic Landscape

Bucca

Local time
-->
I am trying to read this book. Though I constantly find myself skipping paragraphs and trying to speed read, which evidently makes me have no idea what I am reading. Though I also hate reading slow.

Other books:
-Lord of the Rings (Finally starting it)
-(Rereading) Sophie's World
-Buddhism Plain and Simple
-(Will one day read) Dune

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
William Burroughs (disordered collection)
Acme Novelty Library (comic)
The Holocaust and Post-Modernity
Film Art: An Introduction
Reading Images
I Ching

Too many books, too little time. :rip:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
Currently on the Sisterhood of Dune. The writing style isn't quite up to the standard of Frank Herbert, but the content is still interesting enough to be worth reading.
Also been trawling my way through the Game of Thrones saga, odd bits of Pratchett too. BTW, I highly recommend The Long Earth, a very old project of Pratchetts which was completed as a collaboration with Stephen Baxter.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
A Dance with Dragons (#5 Song of Fire and Ice)
Natural Capitalism
The Prize: The Epic Quest for Money, Oil, and Power

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
I used to read a lot of fiction and philosophy, but lately I've been into hard science. Right now I'm reading Why Does E=mc2, And Why Should We Care by Prof. Brian Cox and Prof. Forshaw. I'm also (slowly) making my way through Feynman's red books. Something I've started is Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Alfred Korzybski - Science and Sanity
David Grann - Lost City of C
James Fadiman - The psychedelic Explorer's Guide
Edgar Allan Poe - complete works
Oliver Twist

Wish I could manage to stick to one book at a time making sure I finish it before starting on something new. Too many times I find myself reading ten different books only finishing about 1/3 of them.

Ninjamanda

Gunslinger
Local time
-->
I started reading World War Z by Max Brooks. He wrote the Zombie Survival Guide. This book is pretty interesting so far. You should check it out if you enjoy the Zombie genre.

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
Rooms by James l rubart.. a truly amazing person and gifted writer and so much reading for work my eyes are going cross lol.

hablahdoo

Local time
-->
In The Mind's Eye - Thomas G. West

I found it randomly at a book sale hoping to alleviate my boredom on a vacation. It's an old old book to be learning anything about the mind from, but it doesn't matter because most of what it does is describe people in plain language. It talks a lot about how widely people differ in the way they think and the nature of learning disabilities (dyslexia). It goes through several famous figures describing evidence of a highly visual thought process and how it relates to their work.

It's great. I by default use an auditory medium to think in but it's interesting to explore this unknown of visuals. It seems like it has some distinct advantages and is simply better suited for some ideas. I don't think I could play a chess game without the mind's eye. And look at visual mnemonic techniques they're so absurdly powerful. Could I apply this to the design of programming? We must delve deeeper.... yes....

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
60 pages into Joyce's Ulysses. I've been putting this off for a while, but it's mandatory reading for my next semester. :eek:

kamari rised

Imagination keeps you from insanity
Local time
-->
I got new books from library today :D

5 Minds for the Future - Howard Gardner
The Ego and the ID - Sigmund Freud
Looking for Spinoza- Joy, sorrow, and the feeling brain by - Antonio Damasio
Descartes Error - Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain by - Antonio Damasio

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
I got new books from library today :D

5 Minds for the Future - Howard Gardner
The Ego and the ID - Sigmund Freud
Looking for Spinoza- Joy, sorrow, and the feeling brain by - Antonio Damasio
Descartes Error - Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain by - Antonio Damasio

The books by Antonio damasio sound very interesting!! Just have to add--kamari: love your avi! Should get that as a bumper sticker for my car ;)

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 11:52 AM
-->
I think I've only finished like 4/10 of the books I've mentioned earlier...

Now I'm reading The Fabric of the Cosmos which I love so far. I want to dive deeper in the topic of time eventually.

Also just started The World According to Garp. I have no idea where the story will go, I just remember reading about it being good and then I accidentally found it on a flea market for one dollar. I found like 10 interesting books there, so now I have like 30 unread books in my possession .___.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Just finished (literally, moments ago) Platform by Michel Houellebecq

Starting The Great Game: The Struggle for Empire in Central Asia by Peter Hopkirk.

Vidi

Local time
-->
I'm looking at Tolstoy's War and Peace , or it looks at me, I'm not in a hurry.

I read it once in my teens, but would like to read it again, to examine my perspective anew

intp.

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm reading 'Brains and Realities' by Jay Alfred.

I like interesting non fiction.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
The Foundation novels (Isaac Asimov). I highly recommend them.
When I don't want to read that, Sherlock Holmes.

SW

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I recently finished, and enjoyed, Red Dragon but I'm tarrying on Silence of the Lambs because it follows the screenplay, or rather the other way around, to an off-putting degree.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 9:52 PM
-->
I'm reading this thread.

Top Bottom