• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTP weaknesses

transformers

Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
What do you think INTP's as a collective could work on improving? The two biggest ones I'm guessing are:

1) Social skills. Considering other people's motives more when making a decision. Confidence. Empathy. Giving others more of our time, keeping to ourselves less. Valuing interdependence.

2) Organizational skills. Keeping to a schedule, meeting deadlines, getting more work done in less time. Procrastinating and complaining less, using our natural abilities more (such as the ability to brainstorm ideas). Generally cultivating a sense of responsibility and strong work ethic.

If you want to add to the list or comment on the above go ahead. I feel the main advantages of studying theories like the MBTI is in realizing your personal pitfalls and being able to correct them. As a group INTP's definitely have some areas in which they naturally excel, but at the same time there are some things we are poor at and would do well to develop.

gepcy loc

♪♪♪♈Mondayz, time for Alchemy♈♪♪♪
Local time
Today 11:26 AM
-->
Organizational skills!!!!!! How dare you, My desk is a beautiful mess, and I promised my mom I'd clean my closet next Friday.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
Today 9:26 AM
-->
and I promised my mom I'd clean my closet next Friday.
no one even goes in my closet anymore....its a rather hopeless cause x]

Sugarpop

accepts advice on his English
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
Dexterity.

Mints

Memori Mori
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
People misundertanding you, your mind and your motives to do something.

anyaa

Local time
-->
What do you think INTP's as a collective could work on improving? The two biggest ones I'm guessing are:
2) "...Procrastinating and complaining less, using our natural abilities more (such as the ability to brainstorm ideas) "

ok....

"Procrastinating and complaining less"...I did implement sometime back...:cool:

But I'm damn sure I'd be having a VVV tough time even trying to think about this:
"Keeping to a schedule, meeting deadlines"
I dont remeber a single thing till date that I completed on my planned schedule till date!...:(:(

UppyDownyMouth

Giant Squid
Local time
-->
having too good of a taste in music, causing everyone else to become confused and jealous.

not really having a huge control over emotions / understanding own emotional state.

social skills are a strange one... because if you can accept being an introvert and have extroverts around to lead the conversation its really not so bad... i think extroverts often make introverts feel bad about being quiet, but its really just a lack of affinity/ empathy on their part... i would prefer to spout one laconic piece of gold than a whole bucket load of shit.

having no problem talking to the opposite sex when youre not romatically interested but the exact opposite when you do. (maybe thats just everyone)

assuming everyone understands what youre on about

patience? maybe this leads other points already posted

go into my head, come out, and tell me im wrong.

*edit* confidence???? maybe stemming from non-understanding of emotional state / social standing / self awareness

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 12:26 AM
-->
Assertiveness.

OK, maybe that's just me.

But then again, I've always felt introverted perceivers were pretty unassertive compared to extraverted judgers.

KazeCraven

crazy raven
Local time
-->
3) Assertiveness. Understanding that most people can afford to have their toes stepped on every now and then. Making, and sticking to, arbitrary decisions so that others don't walk over us, and so that our decisions (although understandably arbitrary) are given more weight.

Hmm. Would I be accurate in saying that INTPs tend to either have trouble with assertiveness or social skills? While the two skills are not mutually exclusive, it seems that the typical "assertive INTP" would ignore other people's needs and the typical "socially-adept INTP" (okay, it's a stretch to call it typical, but stay with me here) is more empathetic but takes the perspective of others and accommodates too much because he doesn't pay attention to his own needs (not enough 'F' to go around...) thus becoming rather passive.

After finishing that thought, I decided I disagree with it but figured I might as well post the idea.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Wow, some great ideas in here.

"But I'm damn sure I'd be having a VVV tough time even trying to think about this:
"Keeping to a schedule, meeting deadlines"
I dont remeber a single thing till date that I completed on my planned schedule till date!..."

But it can be done. I've been in newspaper/Web journalism since 1972 and have never personally missed a deadline in an industry that is all about deadlines. The newsrooms I've been involved in running have missed deadlines only because of beyond-control issues like electricity failures, and those rarely. Not bragging, just saying it can be done. Job deadlines are actually quite nice as a way to force yourself to stop mulling all the possibilities and actually get something down on paper or whatever.

And if one stops thinking about "organization" as a concept unto itself and thinks more about organizational architecture and complementary processes, you've moved from weakness to strength. Connecting dots we can do. Organized doesn't necessarily mean neat, nor does it necessarily mean your life is dominated by tiresome details. It just means everything working together appropriately toward a mutually shared end result of some sort.

I'm babbling. Gimme a tablespoon of cough syrup with codeine and I'm off and running. :elephant:

adso1980

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wait. I need social skills? :confused:

KazeCraven

crazy raven
Local time
-->
^Not really. We're just saying if you wanted social skills you're at a disadvantage because you have INTP preferences.

Starfruit M.E.

Goes by M.E., NOT Star.
Local time
-->
I'm not sure about organization. I have the ability to organize and if it's important to me, it's organized. The less important things either get thrown out or gather dust until I need them. But is there always an advantage to dealing with those things now, as opposed to later? I could be wasting my time. In fact, I'm pretty sure I am. I could be on wiki.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
I obviously can't speak for anyone but myself, but I often find that in meeting people for the first time, in getting to know them and all that - it can take me awhile [assuming it actually does happen] to create a sufficient context for the things I say to be understood and interpreted in the way I I'd like, as far as comments, sense of humor, etc. I learned this the hard way [sort of] during my first year away at school - people often mistook me for either an aloof and emotionless a*shole (still do that as a sort of defense mechanism, requires much less effort/emotional exertion to just kind of 'be', as opposed to participating in things), or an overly sarcastic a*shole, I may very well be these things, I hope I'm not, I seem to have trouble being anything but. This probably all boils down to insecurity and me overcompensating for some perceived or genuine inadequacy, or a tendency to misjudge others' perception of me, and to make things even worse, bend my personality to fit this perception - which of course leads to me feeling confined and hemmed-in, and coming to resent the person for holding me to this persona they've grown accustomed to, expecting consistency, and I often oblige them. All my relationships with people end up feeling like work, like I'm forcing myself to perpetuate them for what seems like no reason. It's very difficult for me in daily life to find the happy medium between over-thinking things - considering all possibilities and inevitably dwelling on the outcome I'd least like to see come to fruition/or complete mental vacancy, where I'll often say or do something I'll later regret, lost in the moment. I'd like for this not to be the case.

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
things i really need improvement on:
1. care for time/schedule.
2. motivation to start things i need to do, motivation to follow through on things i once wanted to do, but now lost interest in, and motivation to learn basic facts that arent easily deduced by logic.
3. becoming comfortable around strangers.
4. helping people understand the messages i am trying to convey.
i swear, i make perfect, and clear sense... and that my humor is obvious....
i guess people these days are just terrible at actually thinking about what has been said.

lab_tech

Redshirt
Local time
-->
great topic for discussion:)

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 10:26 AM
-->
1. paying attention to anything outside the realm of my own interests for more than a second or two.
2. social skills!
3. assertiveness.

I have to say I've never had a real problem with organization when I care about something. The same goes for deadlines. And regardless of my feelings about a task, I find it to be waaaay less work just to get things done on time than deal with the hassles that accompany lateness.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Assertiveness.

OK, maybe that's just me.

Definetly not just you.

Control over emotions. I'm usually quite apathetic/content, but once it gets out of control I implode. And become an extremely sulky fountain/minefield.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm thinking assertiveness would be a good thing to work on.

Trouble is I'd have to first give a rat's ass about something. My usual reaction to stuff that happens these days is "Meh." Or maybe on a good day "Meh?"

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I have a hard time putting up with idiots. Definitely a weakness of mine.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 7:26 PM
-->
Physical Activity as oppose to mental.
and assertiveness for leadership.

shadowdrums4

wierd drummer kid
Local time
-->
Hmmm things I could improve

1Willingness to share my emotions (mostly comes from the fact that I don't understand them or know how to express them)
2Organization:Ok the way I've been fixing that, my cell phone has saved my life, it has this calender that I can tell certain events I don't want to forget (Band practices and such) I've also learned that I can keep relatively organized as long as I redo it every couple days/weeks or so. My problem is I neglect the reorginization unless it's something I care about or I notice "Ok I'm losing stuff now" My teachers have figured out that if you want me to find something after a few days, you should probably get me another copy. So it needs work but I am working on it.
3. Procrastination: I'm a terrible procrastinator (I should be getting ready right now but I'm not.) The best way to work on this is learn to do things quickly. I can shower quickly as long as I don't get caught up thinking, it takes me literally minutes after that to change clothes and such. I fly through schoolwork so if I forget about/put off a project, I can do it in one night.
4.Social skills. Living with an extremely extraverted father and brother has made this not a huge weakness for me. My biggest problem is strangers. Are they going to hurt me or my family? When a friend gets a new bf or somethign I'm bad about becoming crazy quiet and watching them for a while. Analyzing each step and giving little *tests* before deciding what I think of them.
5Understanding my own emotions. I suck at it. I'm pretty good at helping other people with theirs though. (My Feeling is pretty strong like I stated somewhere else so I'm not terribly weak there but once you ask me "and how are you feeling?" I have to sit there and think about it.)
6 Paying attention. Especially when people are repetitive/ overlycondescending. I zone out when dad tells me stuff and he absolutely hates it.
7. realizing that others want to know and help me with my problems so it is okay to express them.
8. Letting people know I care about them. People aren't always sure.

oh and look at that, I really need to get ready right now.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
-->
Willpower and the ability to stick to doing something for longer than a week.

Assertiveness ain't a problem once I get annoyed enough, and I can tone it up or down as needed after all this time.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
my social skills are a little awkward but i'm not too bad. a bigger weakness for me would be procrastination or maybe dealing with extreme emotion. the only thing i know how to do when overcome with something is withdraw and if i can't......

......hiroshima.

Prinznobody

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Social Skills... nah I tend to insult people
Organizational.... I'm type P
Maybe I should fit on being a military tactician or a counsellor haha...

NothingTodo

Local time
-->
I am completely unorganized i just keep important things inside my books. I cannot seem to be interested for something for more then a month like in a month i will probably be on a different website about something else doing something else,

Cleo

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:26 PM
-->
When I'm concentrating on something, reading or research - most of the time - I get annoyed when my kids try to talk to me. Thats bad, I have to work on that.

I feel suffocated when people get physically close to me, even my family- and I tend to push them away.

Procrastination and untidiness.

I'm not sure if these are all typical INTP traits, this is quite a new concept for me, but they're things I need to seriously work on.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
They're weak to fire attacks and their tanks are only average at best. The developers have definitely something to fix here.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Is assertiveness (irl) a problem for INTPs here?

Anthile said:
They're weak to fire attacks and their tanks are only average at best. The developers have definitely something to fix here.
It's A Feature, Not A Bug.

binary_me

Undecided: off|on
Local time
-->
Social skills: I've been fortunate that my upbringing forced me to adapt and be more outgoing... (we move around a lot when I was growing up). A bit like the Borg: I assimilate new information and people (by analyzing them) relatively easily.... BUT it costs a huge amount of energy so I'm unable (unwilling at times) to keep it up for very long. One thing I find a little annoying (even embarrassing) is my inability to remember a strangers name, even just moments after being introduced. If I answer the phone or meet someone face to face, my brain kicks straight into 'analysis' mode and their name goes straight into the recycle bin. I can (sometimes) get around this when answering the phone by writing the name down straight away but this usually isn't an option when meeting someone face to face...

It's not that I'm not interested in people. I am very interested in people in general (interpersonal dynamics and the like). I'm just not interested in that individual (stranger) enough to remember their name. Fortunately, I can generally remember 'why' we met (usually because they have computer problems), so its not all bad. Once I have completed the 'assimilation' and decide I like the person, I have much less trouble remembering their name.

Do other INTPs have this problem?

Procrastination. I believe I know exactly what to do about procrastination and I've decided I'm going to start fixing the problem... tomorrow. :D

chem64

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Self motivation when it comes to things I'm not interested in doing.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
Social skills: I've been fortunate that my upbringing forced me to adapt and be more outgoing... (we move around a lot when I was growing up). A bit like the Borg: I assimilate new information and people (by analyzing them) relatively easily.... BUT it costs a huge amount of energy so I'm unable (unwilling at times) to keep it up for very long. One thing I find a little annoying (even embarrassing) is my inability to remember a strangers name, even just moments after being introduced. If I answer the phone or meet someone face to face, my brain kicks straight into 'analysis' mode and their name goes straight into the recycle bin. I can (sometimes) get around this when answering the phone by writing the name down straight away but this usually isn't an option when meeting someone face to face...

It's not that I'm not interested in people. I am very interested in people in general (interpersonal dynamics and the like). I'm just not interested in that individual (stranger) enough to remember their name. Fortunately, I can generally remember 'why' we met (usually because they have computer problems), so its not all bad. Once I have completed the 'assimilation' and decide I like the person, I have much less trouble remembering their name.

Do other INTPs have this problem?

Procrastination. I believe I know exactly what to do about procrastination and I've decided I'm going to start fixing the problem... tomorrow. :D

I'm equally terrible about remembering names.

violetblue

Local time
Today 10:26 AM
-->
social skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in my case: short term memory. (unlike most INTP's, i can read, watch, listen to the same thing endlessly---it's fairly new each time, and almost equally fascinating.) organization! planning! procrastination (why am i still on this forum, when i must.... the growing to-do list is endless.)

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I think the two first one listed are the two major ones. Additional and, often, mores specific weakness are encompassed by the major two.

The expressions are accounted for. Introversion and Perceiving.

White Rabbit

windhopper
Local time
-->
Being able to put myself in "DO IT FAGGOT" mode, because I have to do that thing and it's not fun.

Learn that, although being INTP is innate, your world is not bordered with walls of diamond. Open up and absorb some of the outside, something will have to rub off of you. Either social skills, learning to listen to someone else besides yourself, developing understanding for others' feelings (i.e. not being a douche). Dunno, we can all change only if we wanted to.

chaomon

Local time
-->
My mom always scolds me bcoz my room in total mess! before she always clean my room but no? I think she got tired and realize that it will be forever messy. I dont have a problem in my social life. I attract friend easily, even if I dont do anything they are the one who approach me, but despite of having a lots of friends I dont feel any connection at all.

Lijde

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wow, is assertiveness really such a problem for all of you? I'm actually extremely assertive and aggressive when it comes to what I believe in and what I do.
Then again that's probably just me.

But I need to work on my social skills. And my organizational skills. :c

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
No, I am not assertive at all. I could probably be literally called the polar opposite of it.

Am I the only one here, who sees these so-called "weaknesses" as not truly weaknesses? How is not having social skills a weakness? I never plan on needing to use any in my life.

I think INTPs truly are organized, but they just aren't neat. I know where everything I need is, but what attests to this fact so much more is the perfectly structured and logical thought processes I have. Is it this way for everyone, or just me? I know that my judging trait is usually not that far behind my perceiving trait, so it could just be me.

Emotions? If I need to express my emotions, I do, other than that, I don't see much of a point to need to improve them. I have complete control over my emotions though, so I suppose that's good.

Probably the only true weakness i this thread is procrastination. Dear God. I almost always wait until the very last day, completely bullshit it, and then do a mediocre job. It confounds me to no end. I know I could do it earlier but my laziness gets me so much. I also forgot about assignments oftentimes. I guess I just think about to many things. I used to write homework assignments and such on paper but then I forgot to look at the paper. I now write anything and everything I need to remember on my arm. It works great. I have a folder I put everything important in so I don't use it. So I guess I am taking some action to fix my INTP related flaws. But the only flaws I care about are somewhat rounded off by my somewhat equal J preference. The score in my signature is the lowest I have ever scored on Judgmental.

muzza

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 3:26 AM
-->
I spend too much time daydreaming about things that will never happen.

It is good for the imagination, though.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I wish my S and J traits were higher....

Top Bottom