• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Would you be your own best friend?

Rhys

Local time
Tomorrow 5:27 AM
-->
I was thinking about this for a while today when wondering what the best kind of best friend would suit me. Do you think you would befriend yourself?

Belph

Local time
Today 9:27 PM
-->
No i'd probably hate me.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 2:27 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
Think we need to define friend here, especially if we are using the word in an abnormal fashion.
I propose a simple definition 'a person you know for long and enjoy talking with often'.

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
Today 7:27 PM
-->
Huh ? So you're like what... Totally denying the fact that you can't exist or affect yourself at all ?

You do realize that we are already supposed to be our own best friends... Right ?

No i'd probably hate me.

Well... No.
You hate yourself. If there was a clone of yourself she would most likely care about you, in fact you'd care about each other and help each other in overcoming your problems.

Belph

Local time
-->
Well... No.
You hate yourself. If there was a clone of yourself she would most likely care about you, in fact you'd care about each other and help each other in overcoming your problems.
I don't hate myself because I am me. If i wouldn't care about myself who would. So no.

To put it simply i hate people that remind me of myself, therefore I would hate my clone greatly and she'd hate me. If i would care about her? Most likely. But i'd still hate the fact that she's pathetic.

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
Hahahah, you proved my point right, please, come on, just admit it.

For what other reason why would you hate people that remind you of yourself ?

Artifice Orisit

Do you think you would befriend yourself?
Possibly, what I mean to say is that it wouldn't really be "friendship" as such.

Try befriending your own reflection... how did it go?

Aiss

int p;
Local time
Today 8:27 PM
-->
A friend? Yes.

Best friend? It would be less interesting that getting to know others, although exploring the differences between the two clones might be so as well. I mean, would we get the same ideas all the time? If so, there would be no need to communicate at all - I'd be fine on my own, I have my mind for that.

Belph

Local time
-->
Hahahah, you proved my point right, please, come on, just admit it.

For what other reason why would you hate people that remind you of yourself ?
I may dislike some parts of myself, totally normal, but i don't hate me, i can't hate me. But i goddamn can and sure will people that are like me. Even if that is my clone.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I think there should be some different between you and your friend. Otherwise you can just talk to yourself.
The exception is at doing physical work. You two will be excellence workmate if you become a construction worker, boulder, etc.

transformers

Local time
-->
A friend maybe, but not a best friend. I couldn't stand to be around someone who thought like me all day, it would get boring.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am my own best friend. And we love it.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I've tried being Cogwulfs friend before but he never talks to me.

jsibley1

Local time
-->

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
I'm a selfish jerk. Why would I want to be my own friend?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
It would be very interesting seeing myself from the outside. I think I would've gotten along with myself. And if I found myself annoying, I would tell myself so because I know I like people that are honest. It would be very interesting.

nickgray

Local time
Today 10:27 PM
-->
Nope. If I were to see a clone of myself (or the original of myself) it's likely that we'd both fall into a silent stupor for some time, then, depending on circumstances, we'd either depart without saying a word to each other or would finally communicate in order to get to the bottom of this mystery.

But it's pointless to speculate, since if such a situation would indeed arise someday it would be so weird and mind blowing that any previous speculation concerning what to do in such a case would simply be irrelevant.

Now a better question is: would you want something like that to happen? Are you interested in meeting "yourself"? I, for one, am not.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
ISTPs and ISFPs, you'd be surprised. Other NT types and E types CAN be a little overwhelming to deal with, but they can also be fun (I mean in person). INTJ/INTPs are often not very socially developed and it seems like the guys I've met I suspect of being those types are often sarcastic and it's like you can't win with those people. They don't get buffering social interaction. I had to learn that fairly fast, or my mom would hit me you know.

Even though we probably couldn't converse on the deepest psychological and philosophical level, I got along well with an ISTP in my dorm. We were both well adjusted though and both a little nerdy, she also liked anime and video games. I could tell she wasn't an N type, because it was hard to explain ideas to her and "what ifs" without being corrected. I also have a friend who's an ENTP, but he also has that edge and is more likely to get stressed out than I think an ENTJ. ENTJs are a little overwhelming. I like INFJs, I usually get along with them, because they're very considerate people up front. ENFJs too I think. INFPs aren't too bad.

I can tolerate a large number of behaviors, as it turns out (and it also says that on my MBTI profile). Most people find some way to amuse me, even if I don't sustain long relationships with them. I'm starting to like having friends every once in a while.

I'm more well adjusted socially than most INT types apparently (which I guess makes me kind of weird as an INTP). I was taught certain manners and my parents were pretty active in making sure I could at least appear interested, even if I didn't give a shit. I learned a sort of empathy from my parents and to be a "listener". I would get in trouble otherwise, but this has kind of made it impossible to get away from people sometimes. I think the fact that I do understand social behaviors to a decent point, and manners (which I should after having done these etiquette lessons and all). I've refined it some by reading about personalities and behaviors as well as learning about other culture's etiquette.

I can more and more understand what a person's behavior means and why some behaviors are weird. It's developed since I was in grade school, but I can't say, besides what I've mentioned, how I've developed it. I know there's some intuitive system in my mind to it.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
I love myself and would not hesitate to be my friend. I spend more time with myself than with anyone else. I love just being alone with me. I am nice to myself, and myself is nice back. I bouce ideas off myself, and I can always count on myself to understand what I'm talking about. And I am never offended by the weird things I say, or if I don't talk to myself for a while. But having two of me around would be redundant.

Yodon

Local time
-->
im very aware of what i am like and I imagine i must take alot of patience to get on with,

Nicholas A. A. E.

formerly of the Basque-lands
Local time
-->
I would be my own best friend. But I think neither of us would be very good at taking the initiative to keep up the relationship. :slashnew:

Eloise

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:27 PM
-->
Someone to have great conversations with? Yes. Someone I'd like to spend large amounts of time around? No, but then again that's just about everyone!

EDIT: I took out the rambling.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Definitely not. While I like myself well enough, I know myself too well to want to befriend myself. One of my favorite thing to do with friends is to figure them out, and to bounce my ideas off a different person with a different perspective.

I prefer my friends to have common ground and for them to understand me, but I also want them to be different enough that there's something for me to explore, get to know, learn from, and occasionally oppose.

If I were friends with myself, I would get bored quickly. I'd know what she'd say and do, and I know what she's thinking. There's really no reason to hang out when that objective is accomplished. There's nothing new. I hope that isn't an issue with a future SO or spouse. :phear:

Schneizel

Local time
-->
I don't like myself, and I'm always grateful to know people I like who also seem to like me, though I get on their nerves all the time. I wouldn't be able to manage it, so my double and I wouldn't get along. I'd also kill him to ensure he doesn't ever do anything incriminating with my DNA. However, since he's the same person as me, we'd have sex before we got down to deciding which of us survives.

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Yeah, we'd get along great.

We'd never talk to each other... ever... and neither of us might even realise the other one exists at all.

But generally, we'd get along just fine. Reading silently on opposite sides of the room, while listening to internet radio through headphones again? Delightful. :hearts:

The only issue I can see cropping up would be if this clone person didn't have its own computer. Then...There would be trouble. :starwars:

chloé

Local time
-->
Yes. Imagine the intellectual capacity of two me's! I'd make us pursue entirely different lifestyles and career choices so that our accumulated knowledge would be super-human.

On second thought ... we'd both be paranoid of the other's true intent and always be out to stab eachother in the back before the other one does. Hmm.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
If we would ever be brave enough to talk to each other? Perhaps.

However, I am quite self-centered. We'd probably get on each other's nerves. On the other hand, anything one person says would probably reflect something the other has thought or felt for a long time but hadn't been able to put into words. For that, we'd love each other.

Rudahn

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I probably wouldnt get on with myself so much, seeing as i can be quite hypocritical at times, and i do things that annoy me. Although, I guess I'd be able to have more in depth and intellectual conversations with myself than someone else.^^"

Irishpenguin

Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->
First conversation if I met myself in the world

Me: "Hey whats up?"
Clone: "OH....hey.....whats...up?"
Me:"Yea.......nothin...but....I mean I guess you knew that already right?"
Clone: "Well....nah, well sort of.....yea....I knew....."
Me: *Sigh "Yuuup....."
Clone: *Sigh "Yupz.....why do we sigh?"
Me: "I guess because this is an awkward situation.....I guess....."
Clone: "Oh....yea....that makes sense.....that's probably it"

Long silence

Me & clone (In unison): "This is........not cool"

Gunnarsson

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Good friends keep away unless they have a good reason to talk to/visit me. I rarely visit/talk to anyone unless I have a good reason, calling someone just to ask what's up simply does not happen (and when someone else does, it's annoying).

I would be a good friend to myself. Not that we'd see much of eachother...

thiagomdo

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:27 PM
-->
One of the coolest things in the world is when you can share your views with someone who understands you well.

Another great thing is to live with someone who does not need too much attention, when you are a person who can not give too much attention.

And it´s amazing to walk with someone who naturally exudes knowledge when you are part of the type of the most curious people of the world.

Surely I would like to be one of my best friends.

(in fact, my girlfriend and two of my three best friends are INTP)

amorfati

Local time
-->
I've thought long and hard about this question and my reply is this...

I think I would admire me very, very much. I would love me and wish the best upon me and be genuinly happy if I succeded in whatever it was that I set out to do, but I wouldn't be able to hang out with myself very much because I would cringe at the sight of my flaws which would evoke the memory of my shadow self that I hate to look at.

Long story short; I would love me as a friend but ultimately not be able to hang around me for too much or for too long because he would reflect a part of me that I fear and hate to to acknowledge.

Starfruit M.E.

Goes by M.E., NOT Star.
Local time
-->
I suppose that would depend on what was meant by this question.

1. Would I consider myself a good friend to someone LIKE me?
We wouldn't talk in the first place to find out, but if we did, we would probably end up being best friends.
2. If I was cloned, and knew that the other me was me:
We wouldn't have much to say then, would we. :D But I would treat myself like a sister more than myself, I suppose. If we knew what each other were thinking, that would also be something to consider. If we didn't we'd probably talk. If we did, that would be useless. But if we were separated and started to have different experiences, we would really cease to both be me.
3. If I was cloned and didn't know:
I wouldn't know. But we can't both be me... two of us would live in the same place etc. And if the other me was held somewhere else, and then we somehow met each other without knowing we were at one time the same person, that would be indescribably strange and we would likely figure it out eventually.
4. Am I my best friend?
I'm not sure that answering this would make any sense. But I'm going to say yes.

givalentine

Redshirt
Local time
-->
No, I think such a relationship would end before it began.
I've had best friends before, but they have all come to believe that I wasn't "committed" enough to the friendship to care. I don't know if it's a common INTP thing, but I may not talk to someone for several months or even a couple of years and then when we speak again, it seems to me like the last time was yesterday (and I treat them accordingly). Best friends do not stay best for very long as a result of time (even just a few days or a couple of weeks) passing.
I have met other INTPs and can't even stand to engage in face to face conversation for more than a minute or two. They are people who carry most of my flaws, and a best friend, I believe, should balance them out. I favor people who are easygoing, pleasant, caring, and not judgmental. I find it is also critical that we have arguments all the time. I enjoy disagreements much more than agreement. Interest is what really keeps me committed.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
I don't think I would hate myself, but I don't think I'd be terribly interested in myself too. Usually I don't like the idea of a best friend. It seems unequal.

checkplus

un-understandable, deeply devoted, irreparably int
Local time
-->
I'm not sure, I wouldn't be able to pass up a chance to look at myself from the outside, but I'm not sure if I could take someone being as good as me at everything and as bad as me at everything. I often have good friendships with people who are good at art, music, and that kind of thing, but are bad at math and logistics. If we spent enough time apart to have different areas of interest, I think we could have a pretty good friendship. Or else we'd pull out the doubles thing from "the prestige", and each live half of our life while the other just hung out.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
-->
I wouldn't. I'd be too aware that me2 knew precisely where the mask left off, and that would leave me both discomforted. I wouldn't be able to pretend that I'm actually able to get along with people. The inside of my mind might be functional, but it's not built for attractiveness. One of me is quite enough for the world to be subjected to.

LAM

Local time
-->
Since I have been trying hard for ages to get to know what I am and all I've come up with is a heap of different personalities, none truly me. I would love to learn about myself and what I do that I might think I don't do but I do and I wouldn't want to do it in the first place because I think its wrong. If you can't understand what I just said, go to bed because you are either too tired or too high/drunk.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
probably not. i would be too weirded out by me, since i don't think i've ever met another INTP in person. if i have, it probably hasn't been many times and i definitely didn't know they were.
my best friend of 15 years is someone who seems to compliment my personality well. even if he didn't understand what what going on in my brain (which he probably didn't) he always be exactly what i needed him to be, through all the good times and bad. and we had endless adventures together, especially in the younger years. i don't know why that sounds like i created him or something (haha) but he always understood the moment. don't know how.
he was the best wingman EVER, for example. could set you up without you even knowing you were being set up, with ANY girl. i love that guy, man.

Logos

Formerly Electric Wizard
Local time
-->
It would be nice to split up the three test I have tomarrow (convienently all on the same day). Then again we would probably argue over who would have to take two tests, and end up not getting anything done.

MattKelevra

Canadian Canine
Local time
-->
Possibly.

A lot of my friends and I don't talk a lot when we are together. Silent bonding over movies, drinks, video games, smoking, etc.

When I don't have to constantly entertain or talk I actually can enjoy company almost indefinitely before I'm drained, unlike with typical people.

Prinznobody

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'll have a crush on myself but I'll keep it inside and I'll argue with myself forever haha...

Top Bottom