• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why did you pick your name?

Omelas

is Walking
Local time
Today 3:30 PM
-->
I read a short story for a class at 2 am. The imaginary place name, Omelas, stuck with me.

The story was The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula Leguin.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 10:30 PM
-->
I read a short story for a class at 2 am. The imaginary place name, Omelas, stuck with me.

The story was The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula Leguin.

And here I thought your real name was Salome. :confused:

Omelas

is Walking
Local time
-->
Nope. And the author of the story made up the name, "Omelas" when she accidentally read a road sign for "Salem, Oklahoma" backward. Fun facts.

FearDunn

as Gaeilge
Local time
Today 4:30 PM
-->
FearDunn- because it can be read in English and Irish.

Dabbler

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:30 PM
-->
I honestly was trying to find a suitable name for a while until I decided the process was taking far much longer than it needed to. "Dabbler" expresses that sentiment well, I think (and a few other things).

nyaneko

Local time
-->
nyaneko

nya - how japanese say meow
yan - part of my real name
neko - japanese for cat

IssphitiKOzS

Banned
Local time
-->
Once upon a time, when I used to write my rap verses, I signed up to an online hiphop community. I had KOSS brand speakers, I figured "Hey, I'm a speaker, that fits". Then a couple years later K-OS came out in Toronto, and people thought I was a copy, so I changed it to KOzS. Unsatisfied, I extended it to IssphitiKOzS (Iss fit ih kawz). It's meant to be an obscurity of I-Spit-The-Cause.

But It's KOzS (or Koss) for short.

Sosekopp

Local time
-->
Sosekopp is a Norwegian term for a whimsical and absent-minded person. :cool:

Hammond

Average Philosopher
Local time
-->
I was typing in my e-mail address when I suddenly realized that my last name, which is fairly common, hadn't been used. The opportunity was too good to pass up :evil:

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:30 PM
-->
I was typing in my e-mail address when I suddenly realized that my last name, which is fairly common, hadn't been used. The opportunity was too good to pass up :evil:

That's a cool last name; I love the Hammond organ.:)

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
That's a cool last name; I love the Hammond organ.:)

What I expected:
images

What I got:
images

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
What I expected:
images

What I got:
images

Being that they both have "organs", you must have expected a variant to some degree, otherwise your expectations would have been limited to "human organ".

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
Yes, very much so. I expected to find a diagram of some human organ named the "Hammond organ," more specifically.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I do believe you've sunk my battleship.

yoopernation

Local time
-->
Name is YooperNation ..... I'm a Yooper (citizen of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan). I also sincerely appreciate and relate to the culture of the U.P., especially Keweenaw area. The Upper Peninsula suits my INTP nature well. It's simple and quiet, people pretty much tend to their own business, and the laws and rules tend to be a little more forgiving if there's a good reason for it. Yooper Nation refers to my dream of having the U.P. become it's own nation, where I am king! Life would be simple, and loafers and undesirables would get deported to Wisconsin!

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
IcyCold I don't usually make comments like this, but in all the years I've been on the internet that was the funniest post I've ever seen. It was so funny I had to show my wife who does not read this board and in fact has never seen it. Her comment was, "I don't get it." I thought that so funny I burst out laughing all over again. I hope you are not offended but if you are, that's just tough.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Well, now I'm offended that you think I could be easily offended by something that was not really offensive.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
This is my thought exactly.
I'm glad you keep your thoughts so precise, however I'm offended you take someone else's providing no context implying they are mine.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Well, now I'm offended that you think I could be easily offended by something that was not really offensive.
Perhaps that can be rectified if you were to erect a nil explanation in detail to nil so he gets more than nil of what he failed to get.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I'm glad you keep your thoughts so precise, however I'm offended you take someone else's providing no context implying they are mine.
Oh come now, was I really implying that that was your thought? I did leave the quotation marks on it, after all.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Oh come now, was I really implying that that was your thought? I did leave the quotation marks on it, after all.
I am so sorry. Sorry enough that I will apologize. I will let you know when I get around to it. I promise.

Addendum. I've been known to break my promises and I'm sorry about that.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I am so sorry. Sorry enough that I will apologize. I will let you know when I get around to it. I promise.

Addendum. I've been known to break my promises and I'm sorry about that.
Eh, that's no problem, as long as you do not expect me to keep any of my promises either. I suspect that intent is more important anyway.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Eh, that's no problem, as long as you do not expect me to keep any of my promises either. I suspect that intent is more important anyway.
There is something about promises that are jarring. One has to wait around for an abrupt change. Intent can be a gentle direction. One can be at ease with intent.

I picked my name because I promised myself there would be an ambiguous multiple meaning as to its meaning.

Devious

Captian Understatement
Local time
-->
I've used this partial username for several sites online. Like Youtube and other forums, though I'm only active in 1. The original sn is devious_sos, which I use in a forum I'm currently active. The devious part is hard to explain, since it was influenced by a series that most members here wouldn't know anyway, so let's just say it was as random as they come.

Including the underscore and the 'sos'. it comes from that series as well. In the series the group 'SOS Brigade' (short for, Saving the world by Overloading it with fun Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade) is a prominent figure, so I thought it'd make my username more interesting if added an sos somewhere.
I didn't add the 'sos' here because I wanted privacy from others that know my username. Devious is pretty vague, so I just stuck with it.
Though, it only took a few seconds to input my username... so another justifiable reason would be to get the hassle of registration over with already. I got tired of being a lurker. :D
I was actually surprised Devious wasn't take yet...

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->
Wait, serious like "Why so serious?" Or serious like
Merriam-Webster Dictionary said:
se·ri·ous adj \ˈsir-ē-əs\
Definition of SERIOUS
1: thoughtful or subdued in appearance or manner : sober <a quiet, serious girl>
2 : requiring much thought or work <serious study> : of or relating to a matter of importance <a serious play>
3 : not joking or trifling : being in earnest <a serious question>

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:30 PM
-->
It describes who I am and what I do

myexplodingcat

thwriterislurking
Local time
-->
A parallel dimension of a thinker's creation
Um... I'm pretty sure the myexplodingcat thing started when my brother and I were trying to come up with a username for me on Neopets that didn't require a long string of numbers after it, and we both reasoned that nobody would be so random that they'd pick something like myexplodingcat. It's also my web site addie, myexplodingcat.com (the web site was also something my computer tech brother made for me), and my email addie. I've named my accounts on, like, everything "myexplodingcat" or "explodingcat" since.

I do have to explain sometimes, though, that I didn't put a cat in a microwave or anything, or strap dynamite to its back and tie it to a tree in some desert or something. People are weird. The exploding thing actually comes from how a cat puffs up when it's scared, and my sibling's random imagination, but that's not usually the first thing that comes to mind. :p

lucyintheskies

Redshirt
Local time
-->
my favorite mondegreen - for years, I thought that the song was "Lucy in Disguise". In fact, that title is so firmly embedded in my brain that I usually think of "Lucy in the Sky" as the mistaken lyric. My username is a mondegreen that's really not but seems like it is (to me). A fitting metaphor for my life.

Also, the name ties in with my avatar (Lucy Australopithecus)

kinetickyle

Thinking man's idiot
Local time
-->
I chose my name in about 1998 or so when I first started to develop an online presence. I'm usually pretty restless, so kinetic seemed to be an apt adjective, and I have a love of alliteration.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 7:30 AM
-->
It has a nice ring to it.

VroumVroum

Local time
-->
I had no idea. And by experience, I know it could have taken me an entire afternoon to pick a name.
This one was so stupid it made me laugh.

So here I am : VroumVroum the [FONT=&quot]magnificent[/FONT].

Synchro

Local time
-->
Sosekopp is a Norwegian term for a whimsical and absent-minded person. :cool:

I dig it; being a part Norwegian, and a Norwegephile, and having Thor Heyerdahl as my life hero, I'm glad to meet you, Sosekopp, and learn this word that describes me fairly well...

MyExplodingCat

one of the great all-time usernames; and I'm glad you cleared that up about the non-explosion of the cat...not that I really thought you did, unnerstan....

My own name, Synchro, came about, like so many things I do, iteratively.

I originally started using synchronousmosfet on electronics forums because:

it's cool, and:

it describes a process wherein if the timing isn't just right, all the mosfets blow up!!!!!!!!! Heh heh heh (if it can't kill you, it's not any fun)

So, I started to type in Synchronousmosfet, but it was dark, and while I was hunting for the "n" on my really old laptop with a lot of the letters now rubbed off the keyboard, the forum thingie, I believe - but this could be an erroneous memory, this does happen to me :eek: - popped up, saying Synchro was not taken...

....so I took that as a message from the Gods and just went with it.

Hmmm...I wonder if I added up the numbers associated with the letters in "Synchro" whether it would add up to 27...probably a lot more than 27, so it might not be as cosmic as I thought...:p

Jade Adagis

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Mine is a fully made-up pen name from highschool. The full name is Kitari Jade Adagis. It's acabuvian. If anyone here knows what language that is, I'll give you a cookie and a pat on the head... and you will absolutely know who I am. :phear:

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
Because I wanted to be a theoretical physicist since I was about four years old. Then I was introduced to half-life.
I guess it really should be Gordon Freeman Ph.D

Zensunni

Raro recte, numquam incerte
Local time
-->
Zensunni is the fusion of Zen Buddhism and Sunni Islam that is the persecuted religion in Frank Herbert's Dune universe.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 11:30 PM
-->

Such a trolly-troll-troll :P

DoveEyes

Local time
-->
My name is inspired from a book of the bible called Song of Solomon. It is basically a song he wrote for a woman he was in love with and going to marry. He tells her that he wants to hear her voice and see her face and that her eyes are like doves. Lots of nice imagery.

Hence, DoveEyes. I also think it is symbolic because doves represent peace and the eye is the window to your heart and your soul.

Christina

Redshirt
Local time
-->
well...uhh...it's my actual name so I guess it makes sense...

...It doesn't make any sense...

sweeper

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My favorite character by my favorite author. The Sweeper, in several books by Terry Pratchett, is an 600 or so year old monk of the order of History Monks, who roughly try to balance out the disruptions caused by humanity wasting time, killing time, etc.

He also mastered the art of Deja Fu (I know, I know), time as a weapon, but refuses any promotion; thus is still just a sweeper.

socialexpat

Bluelight
Local time
-->
Lack of inspiration and a phase i'm going trough i suppose ..
Social because i'm social - Expat because i've estranged a little ..

notrightnow

arbitrary title
Local time
-->
I was filling out the registration when someone sent me a message on skype. I had forgotten that I had skype on and my first though was "not right now". I thought it fitting as I have that thought fairly often.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:30 AM
-->
xbox.

I was thinking of a username for the INTP forum, while sitting in my den, that has a giant TV. Instead of thinking up a username, I thought that very moment, gee I would like to play on the xbox right about now.

I'm kind of bored with the name already.

Going to go watch a movie now.

Top Bottom