• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What kind of career do you want?

sotired34

Local time
Today 5:24 PM
-->
Is gypsy a career? I shall be a gypsy, and that's final..

Annablueblue

Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
Wow, I missed a huge part of this thread when I posted yesterday... no more mixing margaritas and posting...though I suppose it could have been much worse. My apologies.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
Science researcher and lecturer. I enjoy the amazing minds of young people and the thrill of discovery.

anyaa

Local time
-->
I want to be a Scientist...
I'm a Mech Engg student[final year]...and definitely gonna have a hard try at it..
If not..then I would like to be a Teacher...[a good teacher offcourse!...most of the teachers I had ..were horrible...:eek:...in my opinion ]

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
The academic director for my engineering program is like that. He did that to me once. The thing is, I'm the only one who catches him when he's being weird, so my peers and the undergraduate secretaries and even my friends don't believe me! What the hell!

I think you have a prof that's seen something of note in you. A spark of sorts I suppose...that or you give him the funniest facial expressions. :D

@sotired...Gypsy could be fun. All that hoodwinking and what not. Plus the constant moving from place to place would be freeing.

random extra #7

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I really want to be a psychoanalyst or anything else in the field of psychology. The mind is such an interesting place and I want to explore it.

Fool

And the ball keeps rolling...
Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
I would like to just pack my belongings and hitchhike my way around the world until I find the perfect place, if there is such I thing. Screw 9 to 5 jobs, horrible bosses, school debt, and ignorant people. I will find my freedom yet.

Tempestas

who purgatoried their torsos night after night wi
Local time
-->
Wow. I've already changed my mind since- what, last week? :D

Now I want to be a doctor, like House. No patient contact, if I can help it.

powerspike

Redshirt
Local time
-->
i am 26 , i have tried lots of things, and i still dont know what i am looking for. But i am giving everything a fair chance

i think i really would love to be a philosopher some day, establish a new religion and stuff:D...:rip:

Scourgexlvii

Kind of like Batman... but completely different
Local time
-->
I want to be an writer (Note: not author, I want to write books, screen-write, and, while unlikely, write for Game Storylines): Flexible schedule, something I like to do, as well as allowing me to drain my crazy in a beneficial way. My fallback would be Physicist.

Kassie

Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
I haven't decided yet, but I'm starting to lean either towards pathology or psychology. Though, I'll probably change my mind again pretty quickly.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I need to do something that is personally meaningful for me. I must enjoy what I do. Money is unimportant.

So far, I haven't found anything.

Thoughtful

Nom Nom Nommin' on Heaven's door
Local time
-->
Short Term: Looking for anything that does not involve climbing a corporate ladder. I'm bad enough at just making causal friends, let alone kissing butts.

Long Term: Looking to be a helicopter pilot, as I gather it's a nice challenging career, requires great concentration, and is never exactly the same twice.

Might also go for author if I can ever bring myself to finish any of my many ideas for fiction.

Infinite Regress

Local time
Tomorrow 3:24 AM
-->
Accounting and corporate world in general is ghey. I found my knees weren't made for kneeling, especially to those who got there not by talent, but by the length of service.

As INTP's, I agree with IB that there is a search for the elusive, and we tend to think in our own minds that we are better than we are [in general]. I readily admitted that I was good at my interest, but not at a level to derive a comfortable living for myself.
I want to help my family as well instead of being selfish and thinking only of my interests, I chose the path a few others here have mentioned - try to earn alot and then travel and pursue whatever.

I ended up taking the path of a derivatives trader, primarily because:

1) I had studied finance and accounting and did not want to waste anymore time in other courses since none really appealed to me

2) It is a more entrepreneurial than other corporate world roles - i.e. if you don't make money its goodnight for you no matter how much you kiss butt. The environment here is much less formal.

3) Pays very very well, and eventually you can trade by yourself - no need for an employer - just a computer and fast internet connection

4) Hours are restricted to market hours [10 - 4] with only the first and last two hours being where the action is - this leaves alot of time outside of work to pursue interests, although admittedly during the initial stages I had to spend more time researching and learning

5) Markets are never stagnate and always challenging. Modeling it and its second and third moments can also be interesting for the mathematically inclined.

6) Non linear derivatives gives the opportunity of adjusting positions and take bets in various variables e.g. price, vol, arbs, time decay etc which suits the "P" function of an INTP personality

It's not for everyone, but thought I'd share my journey. I've been using what I've earned to invest and derive as much passive income as possible.

Sometimes I really prefer to be a kid again....
Reality can be a bitch

Last edited:

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
Eventually I hope to end up somewhere in Computer Science working on quantum computing. It's abstract enough, interesting enough (at least for me), and pays enough (enough to live on) for me. Also, being science, there isn't a meaningless ladder (hierarchy) that needs to be climbed before your ideas will be taken seriously. I do understand that hierarchies still exist to some extent, it's not anything like it is inside a corporation.

If this doesn't work out, I'd like to try falling back to something interesting in a ROWE. There's also always the possibility to fall back on freelance work.

I just need to figure out how to market myself without any real certification or credentials to speak of :confused:

Juno

Local time
-->
I'm currently working through my electrical apprenticeship (sigh..)

Here's a list of what I've though of doing:

Electrical, Mechanical, and Mechatronic Engineering. (one of them, not all)
Reverse Engineer
Pilot (not a commercial pilot)
Wilderness & Hunting Guide in the Canadian rockies
Search & Rescue
Officer in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Join the Military, working up the ranks
Fuck it all and join the French Foreign Legion

And...that was what I thought of doing all in the last year. :)

scandalous

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My dream jobs:

author, artist (painter), musician, all these combined, or contract killer / undercover agent

Eef

Your Mom
Local time
-->
Something that can make my mind go boom. I want something where I can have my own workplace with just me, my pen, and papers and folders. I'm much comfortable when I'm doing things alone or just doing work with a few people, like in special fields in sciences. That's why I want to be a Psychologist. I like to interact with people who I find interesting and worth interacting with. But instead, I'm studying to become a Nurse because my aunt wanted this. So yeah, I hate Nursing so far because I have to deal with a bunch of people in a noisy situation all day and night. What I'm planning to do so is after I graduate I'll take a masteral and become a Doctor. More space for me then!

Slyphee

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Internet Entrepreneur, I don't want to have to work for someone and I'd like to have some free time to pursue other things that might take my interest (travelling, reading, writing, etc.). I've looked at a lot of the jobs that tie into my degree (Computer Science) and they're all turning up pretty restrictive especially jobs with "crunch" times.

I've racked my mind thinking of jobs that might suit me and I feel it's the one for me, I'm hoping it does have the freedom I want, otherwise I'll go back to looking at inventor / writer.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I'm not exactly sure. I'm currently a graphic design major, though I'm a freshman, and this is still subject to change. I'm currently intending to be a free lance graphic designer though. It utilizes my artistic tendencies and expertise while letting me sidestep all the nonsense and reputation crap in the fine art world. It also satisfies my technical side by requiring me to be good with computers and knowing creative software inside out. Also, it's relatively easy to go free lance in graphic design. This allows me to work from home or just about anywhere, so I can have more independence and am somewhat disconnected from the corporate world.

But at the same time, I don't know if I can pull it off because it requires an incredible amount of compromise. I don't know if I can be a graphic designer and still insist on using my creative vision instead of the client's. I'm quite individualistic so this could be a major issue. The way to make money as a graphic designer is to, for the most part, assume that the customer is always right.

Other things I've thought of are photography (where my creative vision is harnessed where needed instead of suppressed), or illustration. But both of these would require more interpersonal skills. Perhaps this is something I could develop to the point that it wouldn't be an issue.

xainziha

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am currently getting my AS, and am gunning for any type of science career. I prefer biology, but am so far not picky as to what I end up doing.

My hobby and true love is art, and if I ever could make it in life as a fine art photographer I would live the happiest of lives. It's rather unlikely, but it would be an ultimate dream to do erotic photography for a living. I would rather settle for being a scientist than doing any other type of commercial art though, so I gave up on getting an AA a year ago. It was worth figuring out now before I go on to a real university. Three years at community college hasn't been that much of a set back.

Ulysses

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm almost done with my B.Sc. in Computer Science. I had originally planned to continue studying towards a Masters upon graduation, but that'll have to wait as I've already got a great job offer lined up at a reputable software development firm in Waterloo, Ontario. I've always loved programming, so I'm really looking forward to putting my skills to use there. :)

Il Nessuno

Professional Fool
Local time
-->
I would like to be a college professor. Something in the social sciences. Still not sure though, typical of us INTP's.

Thoughtful

Nom Nom Nommin' on Heaven's door
Local time
-->
while I have considered many different jobs, it always comes back to the same thing:

I want to fly helicopters. Getting there will be difficult, as lessons are expensive, and the military won't let me fly (I wear glasses). My solution is to find a technical job and save up enough money/credit to learn to fly. on the positive side, since most private sector pilots were 'Nam veterans, demand for Helicopter pilots is high.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
Lecturer of History :angel:... the angel is probably innappropriate...

Jah

Mu.
Local time
Today 6:24 PM
-->
I used to think I wanted to become a professional assassin, or an Elite soldier of some sort.
But then I realized that involves a few rounds of brainwashing, and other unhealthy ideas which cannot be unified with my reality-tunnel.

So, I ended up where I am now, studying Art, going for a master or doctorate in the fields of Fine Art, which I plan to combine with studies within Psychology and anything and everything.

So now the goals are to become a Professor, so that I have endless supplies of new minds, preferably at a university or something to that ilk, and also it will allow me to have a steady income and leave my mind free to study everything that is available at that university. :P

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
...i'm only sixteen, but i have a million ideas floating around already.

IF i go to college, which i honestly might not have the opportunity to do, i would like to either...
1) go to culinary school, become a chef
2) get a degree in psychology, become some sort of therapist (potentially an art therapist)
3) go to art school, become an art teacher (which i think would be nice to flex my creative muscles, although iunno if i want to be stuck in the school system for much longer...)
4) study photography, become a photographer (for magazines, newspapers, etc. or as like a personal photographer... wherever i can get work essentially)
5) get an english degree, wallow in debt for the rest of my life while doing nothing productive and crying myself to sleep at night every time i get a rejection letter from a publishing company

etc.

so iiiii don't really know yet.

i'll probably end up not going to school and working a crap job while i try to focus any spare energy i have on creative endeavors though.

we'll see what happens.

intuitivet

You Know You're Better Than This
Local time
-->
I'd like either a job in Psychology or Conservation or something science based. I'd also like to be an Author, but that's very unlikely (I can dream though).
I think I'd be best at a job involving science and animals, seeing as I've studied both in my spare time, but Psychology is also very interesting and writing allows me to be creative.
Independence and exploration are my major concerns!

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
-Graphic Design?
-Programming?
-Business?
-Psychology?

:storks:

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
As of the moment I want to be a physicist. (Which is very ironic as the two classes I am making the lowest grades are, are math and science...) Of course, I agree with the person above, I am constantly changing my goals in life. Once it was to be a paleontologist, then a lawyer, then astronaut, then scientist/physicist, then musician back to physicist. Although, I am very into science, so I will more than likely stick with physics....unless opportunity leads me in another direction. I really just want a job that doesn't involve commitment as to where I can't think freely. That would be horrid! It would be cool to work alone... though as the person above mentioned, the income might not be too high by doing this.

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
(IN RESPONSE TO MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE) The person above when making the message was Annablueblue.

skidmark

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Short Term: Looking for anything that does not involve climbing a corporate ladder. I'm bad enough at just making causal friends, let alone kissing butts.

Long Term: Looking to be a helicopter pilot, as I gather it's a nice challenging career, requires great concentration, and is never exactly the same twice.

Might also go for author if I can ever bring myself to finish any of my many ideas for fiction.

DON'T waste your money on trying to become a helicopter pilot. I've been there, done that, and of course moved on. Not only is it a really bad time to start in aviation, I think you'll find that you clash a lot with many aviation personalities and their business practices. If you wanted to train at a flight school, and somehow landed and instructor job, you WILL be required to lie and become a salesman. You can only be a Chameleon for so long. If you worked for the same school as me, you would be expected to lie about safety/maintenance issues to students so they don't get scared. Besides the hundreds of bad things I could say about my past employer here are some other things I found dangerous as an INTP pilot:

1) Eventually you will you become confident enough to feel comfortable in the air, if you're an INTP this means spacing out. The sky is full with old geezers and Japanese students who can't speak English and are trying to collide with you.
2) Sometimes you have to make instantaneous decisions with little or no thought and definitely no hesitation. This is really hard as an INTP, and the wrong decision or hesitation can severely injure or kill you and others.
3) You are your customers bitch, people know they are paying a crapload of money to contract that helicopter, and they want to feel in control. Safety often takes the backseat for money.
4) It's not really that challenging intellectually, I think you'd become bored easily. The people that go on and on about the romance and freedom of flight probably aren't INTPs. After a while it just felt like driving a car to me, nothing special.

It can get be a lot better once you have a few thousand hours and work outside of the flight schools, but the road to get isn't worth your/my unhappiness.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Tomorrow 12:24 AM
-->
Pretty much what I'm doing now, although I could stand for it to be cranked up a bit.

Maiken

You know you just can't win
Local time
-->
I honestly don't know. At the moment I'm taking year off from school because I thought a year working some crappy job, would give me time to figure out what I want to do. So far no luck. But it has made me realize that I NEED to go back to school. The job is boring as hell and the women are only able to talk about their children or bitch about each other. I have 4 months left before I have to decide what to study and I'm starting to panick a little. I just can't imagine a job I would like to have.

I'm leaning towards studying math. I've always been good at it and I find it interesting. But I can't really see myself in a job when I'm done studying so I'm very unsure about it. People/teachers think that I'm smart and that I can become whatever I want, but I don't know what I want. And I don't think I'm *that* smart, I often doubt wether or not I'm good enough to even go to university.

Other things I've thought about studying are: philosophy, biology, library and information science, architecture and religion. I don't need to earn a lot of money, I want to do something not too stressfull where I don't have to deal with stupid people all the time and have a lot of freedom to do what I want outside of my job. I quess I'll have to make up my mind somehow, I just wish I could think of a job that I would really, really, like to have.

saihtlen

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I currently have clinical psychologist in mind, or basically anything to do with abstract analysis and eventful work/play offering as much freedom as possible to solving current problems or challenges.

something liberal and artsy, where there is room for variety and change in methods.

JAB

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 1:24 AM
-->
What kind of career do I want?
Professional bum.

Just get up study whatever you want whenever you want. Go traveling see the world some more and just experience life!

What career do i have because i'm not wealthy:
Computer hardware engineer.

But hey, computers are technology are changing all the time:)
It keeps me occupied most of the time, but the overtime is not welcome!!:mad:

SomethingWitty

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Honestly my ideal career would be a cab driver/jazz musician/novelist.

But unfortunately I have parental pressure to do something "legitimate" with my life. Sigh.

Right now, I'm majoring in music, but still looking for a second more practical degree. It'll probably end up being something business or economics related.
I'm also really interested in graphic design and psychology, though. If only I could have about 20 different careers during my life. Ah well.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 11:24 PM
-->
i want to be god. i mean seriously that job application is left open, i could do with some random spawning.

MrBlah

Redshirt
Local time
-->
For the time being I've dedicated myself to a career in engineering (probably mech.), but I keep having this nagging draw towards politics (not the campaigning nonsense mind you, the actual try to make a system that works for keeping people safe, happy, and (most of all) free).

OtakuJolyn

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'd like to have a job that gives me freedom, and the ability to create in someway...
I kinda want to be a graphic designer, but not quite... I really don't get far with my drawings, maybe it'll be a side thing i'll enjoy doing forever...
maybe a storyboard writer then?
idk, I haven't even been to college, and I'm 4 years out of high-school...
I need something that will make me money, that I enjoy... which is not what i'm doing currently...

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
I'm trying to decide between:
hobo - migratory worker who likes to travel,
tramp - travels without working
bum - does not travel or work

I think deep down inside, I'm a tramp, though

Alexk

Local time
-->
I'm trying to decide between:
hobo - migratory worker who likes to travel,
tramp - travels without working
bum - does not travel or work

what about being a carny, then you get to be part of a traveling band of hobos.

Anyway as far as my future career, I want to do psychological research until I hit it big with either a book, website, computer game, electronic music production, or some other random interest of mine... Or I'll just marry someone who can afford to support me while I work on all those things. We'll see how it goes.

If all else fails, I'll become a snowboard instructor.

AlisaD

l'observateur
Local time
-->
what about being a carny, then you get to be part of a traveling band of hobos.

Not a bad idea, unfortunately, it would require socializing, so I'll have to say no.

Top Bottom