• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What are you all reading?

Silas

Drifter
Local time
Today 5:03 AM
-->
Meandering through two books:

Philosophy of Mind by Edward Feser (Fun read, highly questionable)
Analytical Psychology: its theory and practice by Carl Jung (interesting)

Furiously reading through Red Dragon by Thomas Harris at the moment. The main investigator definitely seems to be and Ni user, also Hannibal Lecter most certainly is. The manner Harris describes some parts absolutely reek of Ni to me, give good insight into some of it's characteristics (perspective shifting) too.
Adymus should give it a look.
Silence of the Lambs shall be read afterwards (can't wait).
A damn good read.

Allinea

Fuzz on the Ceiling
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
I just finished reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which was overall, a good book. I just wish there was more detail to it. I have started the next book, Speaker for the Dead.

Edit: Scratch that. Finished Speaker for the Dead and waiting to go to library to get next book in the series. Might pick up another book I kinda dropped about time travel and physics behind it.

Allinea

Fuzz on the Ceiling
Local time
-->
Finished Speaker for the Dead. I am now waiting to go to the library to see if they have the next book, Xenocide.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
-->
Finished reading Iron Coffins by Herbert A. Werner, and the first two books of the Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody, and almost finished the third.

Yasmin

Local time
-->
I am currently reading:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan

The last two I've already finished and am re-reading so they can be transformed into a Prose and Poetry Interpretation respectively. I don't expect to finish any of the three any time soon.

I haven't been much into reading lately. I'm only ever in a serious reading mood when I get adequate sleep and take my Vyvanse, but I rarely do both at the same time, so I've lost touch with my appreciation for books. A shame, I used to read non stop.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I am reading Watership Down, though I am not a dedicated reader and started it well over a month ago. That said, I am enjoying it.

Methuselah

tl;dr
Local time
-->
WAR by Sebastian Junger.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Finished the third, fourth and fifth books of the Obernewtyn Chronicles, and now I'm sad because there's no more to read. It's always hard to let go when you reach the end of a series (finished or unfinished)...

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->

This forum.

Oh okay, Sundiver (David Brin) because I skipped it 15 years ago and it's been sitting on my shelf crying about it ever since. It's mediocre.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
Just started Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So absurd, so awesome.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Reading Michael Palin's Diaries 1969-79. Up to 1971.

Nerd.

New and Improved!
Local time
-->
The Disappearing Spoon. By Sam Kean. It's hilarious. A great beginner book for someone interested in Chemistry, and not insultingly simple for those with a Chemistry background.

Anchorite

I trusted you Steve Guttenberg!
Local time
-->
I just finished "The Hunger Games" maybe 20 minutes ago. It was very good. It's 3 A.M. though so I can't be bothered to elaborate any further.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
"Personality Types" - Carl Jung
"Analytical Psychology: Its theory and Practice" - Carl Jung
"The Journeys of Socrates" - Dan Millman - One of the best books I've ever read...I read this 4-5 years ago though. Highly recommended.
"Asya" - Michael Ignatieff

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:03 PM
-->
Just finished Ursula LeGuin's "Left Hand of Darkness". I would like to read more of her books now. Reminded me I should also endeavour to read some of Doris Lessing's sci-fi books.

Also revisiting Charles Darwin's "The Origin of Species", it is one of my favourites.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
"The Man in High Castle" Phillip K. Dick - Alternate history...Germany and Japan win the war. Quite a good read. I had like a 4 hours of break today at school...finished reading the Jung lecture book and almost finished reading this one...it's quite good.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
The title speaks for itself.

What I am reading currently is Cell by Stephen King and unsurprisingly it's an amazing book, I am also reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley which is also a good book.:D

I read that book...it was terrible (Cell that is). I was surprised...I've (probably) liked every other Stephen King novel that I've read.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Finished (re)reading Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden, now (re)reading The Dead of the Night.

On hold while I read the above series: Michael Palin's Diaries 1969-79; and The Faber Book of Exploration (ed. Benedict Allen).

What I intend to read in the near-ish future: Arabian Nights; Das Boot; The Oxford Book of Modern Scientific Writing; and all of H. P. Lovecraft's stories.

DesertSmeagle

Banned
Local time
-->
i hardly ever read fiction chapter books..i read alot of those sciency books wiht the pictues and shit..Thats how ive gained an unmatched wealth of knowledge..i actually was just readin "trance Formation" by richard bandler, the founder of NLP...interesting as fuck..

Theres a story in it where a person goes into hypnosis, and come out of it talking backwards, like a backwards record.

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
yay! i love books! i'm reading Gone With the Wind. Scarlett's such an idiot but her attempt's at life are amusing. one of my favorite book btw is Gregor the Overlander.

Traianus

lost in the static
Local time
-->
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. It's a really great read :smoker:

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
;M; my friend begged Gone With the Wind off of me. now i want to check out Pygmalian but i have OUTSTANDING library fines. well, a quarter a day and maybe i'll pay it off soon in like a year.

merzbau

Local time
-->
recently finished lewis' the monk, which is a bit of a slow-burn, but it has a bit of everything, murder, rape, incest; surprising considering it was written in the late 18th century.
the final 50 pages or so are amazingly climactic. the ending affected me with sort of surreal dread, which i haven't experienced before with literature. highly recommended.
next up will be huxley's island.

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
Manchild in the promised land & Black like me :phear:

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
-->
"Great Dialogues of PLATO" Translated by W.H.D. Rouse.
Have gotten to Symposium, very nice read, very enjoyable. About half the book left to go.

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
-->
I am reading Dune---Boring.

Surely you jest...

Currently I'm reading Ishmael, Varieties of Religious Experience, Gifts Differing, and a guitar music theory booklet.

erlyn

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The Pilgrim's Progress - John Bunyan
The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevsky
The Path to the Throne of God - Sarah Peck
The Cross and Its Shadow - Stephen N. Haskell
studying the sanctuary in the Bible (mostly Exodus but this study has me reading other verses and chapters in the Bible, mainly from Revelation and Hebrews since they take you through the Heavenly sanctuary)

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
^I admit Pilgrim's Progress is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. :phear:

Words said:
I'm reading Dune---Boring.

Surely you jest...

Agreed. I'm not even sure I have any respect for you now. :confused:

Anyway...

Dreadnought
by Cherie Priest - Yup. I'm reading a zombie steampunk novel. Deal with it.
:cat:

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
Metamorphoses by Ovid. It's jarring because I already know most of the stories from other sources and the 18th century translation by Johann Heinrich Voß is giving me a headache because of the words he uses I have to read everything twice. In fact, I'm currently at Ceres.

...did you know that the word cereals comes from Ceres? Now you do!

5k17

suspective
Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
Just finished de Sade's Justine, now starting Juliette; both are pretty early versions (which I find much better than the newer, longer ones).

DarkGreen

Mmm Tasty
Local time
-->
You know, I really liked Fight Club. I'm gonna pick it up again.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Finished re-reading the last six books of the Tomorrow Series by John Marsden.

Primarily reading The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford and The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Also reading Arabian Nights.

PossumOfTheGrotto

Intellectual Wanderluster
Local time
-->
I'm halfway through a pile of books I haven't touched in months...but the most recent things I'm actively reading are...

- "Boneshaker" by Cherie Priest (Pretty interesting steampunk goth adventure.)
- "Dexter Is Delicious" by Jeff Lindsay (Loves me some Dexter.)
- "The Poetic Edda" by Snorri Sturluson (I would read this just because of the author's name...let alone weird Old Norseness...how incredible is it to be an Icelandic chieftan named Snorri?!? Pretty damned awesome!)
- "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn (Found it in the middle of a hallway, unbelievably.)
- "In The Shadow Of The Silent Majorities" by Jean Baudrillard (Every single paragraph is incredibly dense and very insightful...I've been reading it for months...)

I have been wanting to start reading the Terry Pratchett Discworld books again, only this time in order and completely (I also have read only about 1/5 of the total)...so I am thinking of starting that this weekend...it seems like it would be awesome.

So that's what I've been into lately.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Confessions by Saint Augustine
Phaedo by Plato
1984 by George Orwell
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Nigerian INTP

Cyberpatroller
Local time
-->
The Catcher in the Rye.
Although I ought to be reading my school books.
Finished reading 'Running with Scissors' yesterday. That was a disturbing book. Catcher in the Rye is hilarious.

PossumOfTheGrotto

Intellectual Wanderluster
Local time
-->
Decided against rereading If on a winter's night a traveler and picked up Cosmicomics by the same author. It's a collection of short stories (each about 15 or so pages) with the same narrator (who is a character as well), who is a being that has existed for a very very long time. Essentially Calvino takes a little scientific factoid, such as the proximity of the Moon to the Earth during its initial formation, and makes a story out of it. It's actually pretty cool.

If on a winter's night a traveler is, without spoiling too much, a book about you (much of the book is second person) trying to read If on a winter's night a traveler--and having lots of problems doing so. Every other chapter is the first chapter of various books you read, while the other chapters are you trying to find the various books that you've been reading. It's awesome.

Hey, Latro...your description sounded so intriguing, I just now ordered this online...I had never heard of Calvino before, but I think I'm going to enjoy making his acquaintance...thanks for sharing.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 8:03 AM
-->
Light in August which I originally hated.
I am now realizing Faulkner is not all
that bad. Not even close.

Latro

Local time
-->
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card. I'm not liking it as much as its predecessors. The Chinese people feel like they're there to fulfill a plot role too much to be believable. This isn't much of a spoiler, because it's really vague, but I'll cover it in spoiler tags anyway:
Card needs a person who is really really meticulous to do something plot-relevant, and so he creates an entire planet populated by people whose religion forces its clergy to have very very severe OCD and then uses a member of that clergy.
Another vague spoiler:
Card also starts explaining how the ansible (a communication device that is instantaneous over any distance, introduced in Ender's Game) works, where previously he didn't bother to explain it. His explanation feels like pseudoscience, too, whereas everything else that he actually explains (such as relativistic travel) actually makes scientific sense.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Light in August which I originally hated.
I am now realizing Faulkner is not all
that bad. Not even close.

I have an admire/disgust relationship with Faulkner. His writing style in As I Lay Dying is fascinating and his psychological profiles are detailed but I fail to find any discernible point to this novel. Faulkner was a compulsive liar and little better than a grifter. I can't help but wonder if his books are just another trick but I've read things that were absolute trash and his novels aren't that. Gah. *shakes fist* DAMN YOU FAULKNER!!!!

Edit: I have a strange feeling of deja vu. I think I've discussed this before on this forum. Maybe it's time I took a break. :o

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Human Heart in Conflict: Light in August's Schizophrenic Narrator by David M. Toomey.

This reading of Light in August is go for broke, and ultimately half convincing. Definitely thought provoking, even if you hate Faulkner and LIA and disagree completely with this interpretation.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Ah, yeah. He reminds me a bit of Harold Bloom on Shakespeare. I generally disagree with old Bloom on every point and yet he does send my thoughts down different channels than I would have otherwise gone.

Bird

Banned
Local time
Today 8:03 AM
-->
The Human Heart in Conflict: Light in August's Schizophrenic Narrator by David M. Toomey.

This reading of Light in August is go for broke, and ultimately half convincing. Definitely thought provoking, even if you hate Faulkner and LIA and disagree completely with this interpretation.

I am not familiar with the phrase "go for broke".
I am sorry. Could you perhaps break this
down for me? I do have free time so I may just
look into Monsieur Toomey's text.

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->
The title speaks for itself.

What I am reading currently is Cell by Stephen King and unsurprisingly it's an amazing book, I am also reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley which is also a good book.:D

The Theory of Poker - Sklansky
4 Hour Workweek - Ferris
Good to Great -- Jim Collins I think
The 50th Law -- 50 cent really awesome book

Does anybody else also have self diagnosed ADD -- to where you cannot finish a book cover to cover? I always seem to be reading 3-4 books at a time, and eventually end up with about 20 books that are 50% finished. I feel like I already get the gist of the entire book and the rest is just filler.

come on, anybody else? :elephant: :beatyou: :borg: :smiley_emoticons_mr :slashnew: :kilroy: can't help but play with these

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am not familiar with the phrase "go for broke".
I am sorry. Could you perhaps break this
down for me? I do have free time so I may just
look into Monsieur Toomey's text.

You hear it alot in golf for some reason. Basically, it means taking a gamble for a potential payoff. BTW, your avatar interests me for some reason. What is going on there?

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
Read half of Doyle Brunson's online poker book in a Borders the other day. It wasn't really a strategy book, which I needed (need). It sucked.

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->

This forum.

Ah, so sad, but so true. I've only been a member here for a couple days, but am absolutely fascinated by some of the posts that are in here. I have had, this weekend, the most thought-provoking discussions the Internet has ever given me. All thanks to you fantastic people.

As far as actual literature that I'm reading, Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October, and Executive Orders, and Sophocles' Oedipus Rex. Rereading the Clancy's, both for high school classes (History and English, respectively), and Oedipus is for English as well.

Has anyone noticed that the logic in Oedipus is incredibly lacking? as I was reading it, I kept getting struck by how incredibly dense the characters are, that they were unable to figure out Oedipus' relation to Thebes... maybe it's just because, as the reader, we already know it, but it seems there are some really obvious pointers.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
-->
Does anybody else also have self diagnosed ADD -- to where you cannot finish a book cover to cover? I always seem to be reading 3-4 books at a time, and eventually end up with about 20 books that are 50% finished. I feel like I already get the gist of the entire book and the rest is just filler.

come on, anybody else? :elephant: :beatyou: :borg: :smiley_emoticons_mr :slashnew: :kilroy: can't help but play with these

Yup, although I do finish books, but usually only fiction books. Non-fiction I tend to leave halfway, and read several at a time.

MunkySpanker

Banned
Local time
-->
Read half of Doyle Brunson's online poker book in a Borders the other day. It wasn't really a strategy book, which I needed (need). It sucked.

another poker player!!! try the Theory of Poker by Sklansky -- it will be all that you are seeking.

I started as a student of Doyle's style... "push with the best draw or best hand" type of play....

Top Bottom