• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Sheldon Cooper - ISTJ?

Zionoxis

Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
I have been watching Big Bang Theory a lot lately, and his extreme OCD (Judging), combined with his constant failure to find patterns in conversation, sarcasm, (Sensing), to his rather apparent lack of social skills suggest to me that he is an ISTJ. Is there any part in my argument which may be flawed and he may be something else, or do you agree? If against, explanations are appreciated.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 7:24 PM
-->
I have been watching Big Bang Theory a lot lately, and his extreme OCD (Judging), combined with his constant failure to find patterns in conversation, sarcasm, (Sensing), to his rather apparent lack of social skills suggest to me that he is an ISTJ. Is there any part in my argument which may be flawed and he may be something else, or do you agree? If against, explanations are appreciated.

I know a few ISTJs and they definitely do not act like that guy. The character is probably closer to being Autistic than any one personality type. Maybe a neurotic INTJ?

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
I know a few ISTJs and they definitely do not act like that guy. The character is probably closer to being Autistic than any one personality type. Maybe a neurotic INTJ?

My father is an ISTJ as well and they do not quite line up. From what I saw, it just seemed like the best fit.

Grei

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The character is definantly an attempt at portraying an INTP, but it's just a character. Intps aren't funny enough for television unless their poor social skills are unreasonably exagerated... I guess.

Hammo

DON'T PANIC
Local time
Today 10:24 PM
-->
The character is probably closer to being Autistic than any one personality type.

I agree. I think the basic premise of his character is that he is a high functioning autistic savant, although he sometimes acts like he doesn't have any kind of autistism for the sake of extra laughs.

Hammo

DON'T PANIC
Local time
Today 10:24 PM
-->
Actually, he really seems more aspergers syndrome than autism.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Today 2:24 AM
-->

The writers deny they're characterizing him with any specific diagnosis, but he exhibits nearly every listed symptom of Asperger's. I think they shy away from the diagnosis in order to avoid having to talk about it where people will read into their portrayal with political perspectives.

*edit - What Hammo said.

Last edited:

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 7:24 PM
-->
I can't watch the show because of the small creepy jewish guy.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, autism, and Asperger syndrome, but beyond that, INTJ.

ElvenVeil

Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
When typing people, you should look at what functions that appear to be used, and not 'oh he cares a lot about order, thus INTJ'.

Sheldon is clearly INT, I don't think many would argue much there, so we end up with a question of P, or J. So far so good.

Te or Ti? Sheldon does not exhibit Te at all, but Ti. Leonard on the other hand shows much more clear signs of Te as one of the two most dominant functions.

Sheldon is a nut case, and that alone makes him hard to type (as EyeSeeCold points out with his many syndroms), but typing him as an INTJ is just outright wrong if you ask me.

So bottom line: Sheldon Cooper is a wierdo, but an INTP none the less.
:kilroy:

Edit: If people do not see my point, then I can provide a longer explanation if necessary (as asked by the OP in the first place, but it just takes up time)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
When typing people, you should look at what functions that appear to be used, and not 'oh he cares a lot about order, thus INTJ'.

Sheldon is clearly INT, I don't think many would argue much there, so we end up with a question of P, or J. So far so good.

Te or Ti? Sheldon does not exhibit Te at all, but Ti. Leonard on the other hand shows much more clear signs of Te as one of the two most dominant functions.

Sheldon is a nut case, and that alone makes him hard to type (as EyeSeeCold points out with his many syndroms), but typing him as an INTJ is just outright wrong if you ask me.

So bottom line: Sheldon Cooper is a wierdo, but an INTP none the less.
:kilroy:

Edit: If people do not see my point, then I can provide a longer explanation if necessary (as asked by the OP in the first place, but it just takes up time)
Personally I think MBTI functions are faulty, while the 4 letter code is much more straightforward to communicate with.

Do you see Sheldon as a rigid workaholic, someone who's focused on building (TJ) or as an adaptable slacker who is focused on revising(TP)?

Another way of putting it is which group would Sheldon fit in best:
ENTJ ESTJ INTJ ISTJ
ENTP ESTP INTP ISTP

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:24 AM
-->
As a sitcom character he's a gross exaggeration of a person, remember folks that all performing arts have to exaggerate to get from the stage to you. In this case I would say he's mostly an ISTJ with possibly some INTP theoretical thrown in. I went to graduate school in Physics and I met a lot of characters, and only one that was similar to him, but who probably was an INTJ.

samjonathan

often inexplicably absent for long periods of time
Local time
Today 7:54 PM
-->
i'd have to say INTJ but that might be because i really dislike his character and don't want him to be an INTP

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
I do not understand how one could type him as a perceiving type due to his obvious lack of ability to see another person's point of view. Also, I see that he utilizes Se far more than Ne. In fact, I would argue Ne is one of his weaker functions. While I understand his character is highly over-dramatized, I simply cannot put him in the INTP categorization. His thinking and mine (from which I am comparing), differ so greatly that the only resemblance is his enjoyment of alone time.

I mean, INTP's practically riddle every sentence made in public with sarcasm. Sarcasm is the joining of Ne and Ti. Ti thinks of the dynamics of the point to be made, while Ne creates a humorous situation in which to contrast it with. While I agree Sheldon utilizes Ti in many scenarios, the Ne is simply not there.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
If we look at the functions, we see that he raises a LOT of insane hypotheses in his daily life, that are based on HIS experiences, (lots of Ni), and then proceeds to carry them out, only to find that most don't work in reality, and need major adjustment, or possibly never work (classic Te). That is what Te is for, to test Ni, and, as with any scientific hypothesis, most of them fail miserably. Same with Sheldon. So quite clearly, he is someone whose behaviour agrees with his functions.

Guess you'd better, because I see a LOT of Ni, and Te, and some Fi (such as when he needs Penny to read 'Soft Kitty' to him), in the proportions I'd expect from someone who was typed Ni-Te-Fi-Se.

ElvenVeil

Local time
-->
Do you see Sheldon as a rigid workaholic, someone who's focused on building (TJ) or as an adaptable slacker who is focused on revising(TP)?
This does not match my understanding of MBTI at all.. The 4 letter code doesn't say that much; functions is everything in MBTI. I will just direct your(and everyone else who cares) attention to the following wall-o-text. I hope it is not too confusing in its presentation

If we try and rap our minds around how Te/Ti and Ne/ni works, within the context of The Big Bang Theory. I think comparing Leonard and Sheldon makes sense, in order to present the differences, because Leonard shows Ni-Te, albeit he is not the stereotype INTJ.
(when I speak of Ti/Te, it would be an INTPs/INTJs Ti/Te)

Ti as a dominant function focus in internal logical consistency (such as a need to have everything phrased in a perfect manner, so that its meaning is perfectly clear. Ti is subjectiv and personal)

ni/Te cares about having their external world to be correct and consistent. INTJs and INTPs do have a lot in common, but the INTPs focus on the internal logical consistency is immaterial in the eyes of the INTJ. What matters is the meaning/point. Te is objective and impersonal

So far so good. As you may have noticed Sheldon is obsessed with logical consistency to a degree that is not matched by anyone in the series. This to me screams Ti.
Quote(as I remember it): Leonard: We had a team meeting. Sheldon: No you didn't. I wasn't at the meeting, and I am a part of the team, ergo you did not have a team meeting.

Although the quote does not show Leonards Te, it does present Sheldon's Ti.

Leonard has an impersonal understanding of the world and himself(ofc to a degree), and such is clearly shown when Leonard takes in critique. Leonard does not take it personal but he accepts critique as true, if he observes it to be true. An example of this could be when he realises that he "is the bad fish" as the others point out.

Intuitive humour is often related to connecting the dots. I don't remember exact quotes for this section, but he laughs when he has to do a bit of thinking in order to understand the fun. (when Amy sends him an sms making a pun connecting laundry(iirc) and Chemistry. What Sheldon cares about, is looking behind the apparent and understand how things work from an abstract perspective. This is a classical intuitive behavior. (few pointers of why he is not ISTJ)
The most obvious Ne jump Sheldon makes, aside from his humour, is when he quits his job in order experiment with Eggs, which then leads to luminous fish, which then leads to loom. This is just Ne connecting dots in a pointless manner, which is classic INTP Ne.

Sheldon shows classic INTP behavior which is uncommon -> unrealistic behavior for an INTJ , which is related to what is said above, and that is the fact that he readily decides to try and learn/understand new things without needing any clear application for it in the real life. Aside from the whole luminous fish thing, you also see him all of the sudden starting to learn finnish.

Good, I think I have talked a bit about Ti/Ne (my answer is based on the assumption that the reader is into functions and feels comfortable with them)

Sheldon's complete lack of social understanding screams inferior function. Sheldon has terrible understanding of social codes, so he either process them through Ti or Si. I can refer to another post of mine regarding INTP Fe here: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?p=269694#post269694 .

Neither INTJ nor INTP should have a bad understanding os sarcasm, but I believe that Sheldons Sarcasm problem, is related to his inferior extraverted feeling. Sheldon does not understand the social codes which the Sarcasm is built on, so he understand what is being said through Ti. a Si-Fe , Ti-Fe situation is presented:

Pennys day is a total wreck; She is too blond to fit a certain acting role, and her wares drops to the floor, and she locks herself out.. Everything goes wrong.

Sheldon: Would you like to come in? (Sheldon knows (Si) that is is good gesture (inferior fe in this case) to invite people in when things are bad

Penny: No I would rather stay out here sheldon!

Sheldon: Alright then. (Sheldon does not understand that she is not being sincere so he has no option but to understand the situation through Ti. "she says no, so she must mean no")

The same Si-Fe is shown when he offers the 'none optional hot beverages', which ofc just shows his complete lack of understanding of everything social.

Alright, I hope this wasn't bombarding you with info. I am only showing few examples because 1) otherwise would be too time consuming, 2) I expect people to understand the principle behind the argument.
Furthermore I hope that people keep in mind that one does not have to fit a stereotype in order to be that type.

oh right.. The other points presented. I will just see if I have not already answered them:

I mean, INTP's practically riddle every sentence made in public with sarcasm. Sarcasm is the joining of Ne and Ti. Ti thinks of the dynamics of the point to be made, while Ne creates a humorous situation in which to contrast it with. While I agree Sheldon utilizes Ti in many scenarios, the Ne is simply not there.

That means that you are moving away from your ISTJ and instead you will say that he is the action-hero stereotype ISTP?

If we look at the functions, we see that he raises a LOT of insane hypotheses in his daily life, that are based on HIS experiences, (lots of Ni), and then proceeds to carry them out, only to find that most don't work in reality, and need major adjustment, or possibly never work (classic Te). That is what Te is for, to test Ni, and, as with any scientific hypothesis, most of them fail miserably. Same with Sheldon. So quite clearly, he is someone whose behaviour agrees with his functions.

I would really need some references to the show, because otherwise it seems to me as a misunderstanding of Ni-Te in the context. I am not sure why you highlight his, so I won't be able to respond to that. But it is true that Sheldon tries out some of his thoughts in an experimental way (the luminous fish example) but Sheldon does not prefer the real-world touch when working, as a Te would. Sheldon is a theoretical physicist and where Leonard works with applied physics.

In the Ni world view one *knows* what he knows and that is why INTJs are often criticized for being stubborn. A Ni vs Ti Clash:

Sheldon has decided to work with the oompa loompas of science, and visits howards, but is kicked out, so he wants to work with Leonard instead. Leonard works with laser and Sheldon is puzzled.

Sheldon: Have you tried [other kind of laser](Ti-Ne)

Leonard: It will just blow up (or something like that, sorry I can't remember the exact quote)

Sheldon: Are you sure?

Leonard: Pretty sure(!) (When viewing this scene Leonards reaction suggests (once again) Ni-Te. Leonard *knows* this)

Sheldon: Pretty sure? that's not very scientific.. Do you always work like that? with guesses and hunches? (Ti(!) , sheldon requires acqurate reasoning and explanation for him to accept the conclusion).

Guess you'd better, because I see a LOT of Ni, and Te, and some Fi (such as when he needs Penny to read 'Soft Kitty' to him), in the proportions I'd expect from someone who was typed Ni-Te-Fi-Se.

*scratches head* Fi due to soft kitty song? You really need to explain this. I most of all regard this as one of his mental disorders that needs nurishment.

Alright, now I should have given some reasons as to why Sheldon is not an INTJ.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
This does not match my understanding of MBTI at all.. The 4 letter code doesn't say that much; functions is everything in MBTI. I will just direct your(and everyone else who cares) attention to the following wall-o-text. I hope it is not too confusing in its presentation
Snap.

If we try and rap our minds around how Te/Ti and Ne/ni works, within the context of The Big Bang Theory. I think comparing Leonard and Sheldon makes sense, in order to present the differences, because Leonard shows Ni-Te, albeit he is not the stereotype INTJ.
It is easier to compare INTP to INTJ for INTPs and INTJs, because they both work in the same areas, and so both think that the others should behave exactly the same. However, for the rest of the world, including Hollywood execs, it's rather irrelevant. All they want, is something that will make them money. Leonard and Sheldon cannot be assumed to illustrate the P/J dynamic in the INT world, simply because they are both physicsts. Howard and Raj are also physicists, as is Kripky, as is the married, good-looking world-class physicist who slept with Penny. There were loads of different types of personalities in the program, who were all physicists. So it's not about being INT.

But INTs might think that, because Introverts tend to only look at things from THEIR perspective. INTJs do this far, far more than INTPs, because INTPs don't like to make decisions, and so like to keep their options open, while INTJs have much more confidence in their decisions, and so once they have found a perspective that seems to make sense to them, prefer to not worry about if they are wrong, and need to consider other ways of looking at the problem.

ni/Te cares about having their external world to be correct and consistent. INTJs and INTPs do have a lot in common, but the INTPs focus on the internal logical consistency is immaterial in the eyes of the INTJ. What matters is the meaning/point. Te is objective and impersonal
Te is objective and impersonal. INTJs don't care if what they are describing are plans of world domination. If it makes sense to the INTJ, then it must make sense to everyone. Anyone who says it doesn't make sense, must obviously be wrong.

So far so good. As you may have noticed Sheldon is obsessed with logical consistency to a degree that is not matched by anyone in the series. This to me screams Ti. Quote(as I remember it): Leonard: We had a team meeting. Sheldon: No you didn't. I wasn't at the meeting, and I am a part of the team, ergo you did not have a team meeting.
INTPs define truth, according to the rules, irrespective of if it helps them or not. So when they have a room-mate agreement, and someone (Priya) shows that it wasn't really a logically consistent agreement, then they accept that it was never a valid agreement, and so all things that were done because of the agreement are rectroactively false. I.E. The agreement isn't valid. So Leonard had the right to do what he wanted. No argument from the INTP.

INTJs define truth, according to the situation, which is normally based on how much it fulfils their Fi. In other words, an INTJ will only argue that a meeting was not a team meeting, when HE wanted to say things at the meeting, and he wasn't given the option to, and so for his purposes, it was not a team meeting, even though it quite clearly was.

That is because Te is about practical things, like meetings, and its criteria is if it carries out his Ni hypothesis about meetings, which is based on HIS introverted needs, not anyone else's.

Leonard has an impersonal understanding of the world and himself(ofc to a degree), and such is clearly shown when Leonard takes in critique. Leonard does not take it personal but he accepts critique as true, if he observes it to be true. An example of this could be when he realises that he "is the bad fish" as the others point out.
Leonard does accommodate others. So he is a P. He only sticks to his friends. So he an I. He points out the failures in Sheldon's plans, not because they are illogical, but because they are SEEN to fail in the real world. So he is an S. He is oblivious to feelings of others, like how he reacts to Penny's feelings about astrology. So he is a T. Hence, ISTP.

ISTPs can and often are very smart, and have a strong place in Physics, especially the areas in which they would excel the most, experimental physics, which happens to be Leonard's field.

The most obvious Ne jump Sheldon makes, aside from his humour, is when he quits his job in order experiment with Eggs, which then leads to luminous fish, which then leads to loom. This is just Ne connecting dots in a pointless manner, which is classic INTP Ne.
Sheldon was FIRED. HE then uses the free time to TEST his EXPERIMENT (Te) about a HYPOTHESIS (Ni) he already had, that the separation of water molecules from the egg proteins, affects the taste. Then he develops an entirely DIFFERENT HYPOTHESIS (Ni), that if one inserted the DNA from luminous jellyfish into other fish, that you might develop fish nightlights, and then buys some fish to TEST the EXPERIMENT (Te). The loom was totally unconnected with the luminous fish, as Sheldon did not provide ANY connection between the 2, and yet expected everyone to understand why he decided to change direction to a loom. Ne normally connects to the external world, and thus the prior external activity. Ni is based on one's introverted personal choices, and so 2 Ni-hypotheses are usually unrelated, unless you understand the connection to the person. Sheldon has been fired, because he insulted Dr Gablehouser. He takes a sabbatical, because he no longer wants to have to say nice things about his employer. So he elects on a series of odd experiments, that have little in common, other than they are all things that Sheldon points out, could make them rich, a practical J-result that will satisfy his Fi desire to be wealthy: Sheldon: That’s just the beginning. I also have an idea for a bulk mail-order feminine hygiene company. Oh, glow in the dark tampons! Leonard, we’re going to be rich.

Sheldon's complete lack of social understanding screams inferior function. Sheldon has terrible understanding of social codes,
A LOT of INTJs complain about not understanding basic social behaviour, as do INTPs.

INTJs seem to comment regularly on how much they are disliked because of different things they do, such as the oft-discussed INTJ "Death Stare". INTJs seem to want to understand sociality, either as an NT-subject to study theoretically, or as a J-subject to figure out how to make people do what they want. Sheldon does study social behaviour. He also tries to use social behaviour, to get what he wants, like when he programs Penny using chocolates and behavioural conditioning.

However, they seem to be only interested in holding to their own values, and don't care if that goes against moral codes. If their makes peoples' lives more difficult, then younger INTJS seem to think that that is the other person's problem. INTPs seem to differ on this, because of Fe. Sheldon makes it very clear, in episode after episode, that he really doesn't give 2 hoots why it's necessary or beneficial to follow social conventions. He has no Fe.

but Sheldon does not prefer the real-world touch when working, as a Te would.
He doesn't mind making scrambled eggs in his new career.

Sheldon is a theoretical physicist
NTs are happy with theoretical physics, because it's all about new and comprehensive rational ideas.

Leonard works with applied physics.
Leonard works with experimental physics. Howard works with applied physics.

In the Ni world view one *knows* what he knows and that is why INTJs are often criticized for being stubborn. A Ni vs Ti Clash:

Sheldon has decided to work with the oompa loompas of science, and visits howards, but is kicked out, so he wants to work with Leonard instead. Leonard works with laser and Sheldon is puzzled.

Sheldon: Have you tried [other kind of laser](Ti-Ne)

Leonard: It will just blow up (or something like that, sorry I can't remember the exact quote)

Sheldon: Are you sure?

Leonard: Pretty sure(!) (When viewing this scene Leonards reaction suggests (once again) Ni-Te. Leonard *knows* this)

Sheldon: Pretty sure? that's not very scientific.. Do you always work like that? with guesses and hunches? (Ti(!) , sheldon requires acqurate reasoning and explanation for him to accept the conclusion).
Sheldon refuses to accept Leonard's Si knowledge. He makes it clear that he would accept Leonard's testimony, if Leonard had done a Te/Se experiment with argon lasers, and it blew up. Si would be valid evidence for an INTP. Te/Se would be valid testimony for an INTJ.

*scratches head* Fi due to soft kitty song? You really need to explain this.
Fi-types want their desires satisfied. If they are introverted, then they don't even consider other people's feelings on the matter. INTJs have Fi as their 3rd function. So it's not prominent in their behaviour, but is still occurs fairly often, and is their feeling motivation for everything they do. In the case of 'soft kitty', it comes up fairly often, whenever Sheldon is feeling very low. When it does, if Penny makes a mistake, then Sheldon makes her repeat it all over again, even though that is going to p*ss her off something major. Lots of Fi, almost NO Fe.

I most of all regard this as one of his mental disorders that needs nurishment.
If you throw out ONE behaviour because it was part of his mental disorders, then more are likely to be so. So for all we know, all the examples of his behaviour that you mentioned, were all part of his mental disorder. So that argument either fails, or invalidates everything about Sheldon.

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
Well, it would appear I need some more catching up to do on my functions. No, that was not a barrage of information...sadly, I wish I could write essays like that. By the time I finish, it is not until then that I realize what I truly wished to say...still no idea HOW without simply saying one sentence.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
He's a stereotypical geek created by immature writers who understand nothing of psychology.
Ergo, he has no type, he has no personality.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:24 AM
-->
The character is definantly an attempt at portraying an INTP, but it's just a character. Intps aren't funny enough for television unless their poor social skills are unreasonably exagerated... I guess.

Unless you worked in dreamlike and fantasy sequences like in the movies The Science of Sleep or Amelie, respectively, then you're basically correct. You would have to find a way to dramatize the internal landscape and permutations of the mind or you'd be stuck with some guy drooling and looking wistfully in the air...endlessly pondering. The show Dexter to some extent might be another template upon which you could make this idea fly.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Unless you worked in dreamlike and fantasy sequences like in the movies The Science of Sleep or Amelie, respectively, then you're basically correct. You would have to find a way to dramatize the internal landscape and permutations of the mind or you'd be stuck with some guy drooling and looking wistfully in the air...endlessly pondering.
There's a lot that they could show about INTPs. INTPs have a habit of just walking in, and fixing the problem that is making everyone pull their hair out. INTPs are social chameleons. INTPs come up with amazing ToE theories. Albert Einstein was an INTP.

Hollywood worships the ESTJ like it's a sacred cow. Anyone who shows NT-smarts, has to be a criminal, completely corrupt, or incapable of dealing with real life.

The show Dexter to some extent might be another template upon which you could make this idea fly.
To be honest, I always related to him a LOT. He strikes me as being an Introvert. He's not much into Feelings and more of a Thinker. He does come up with novel solutions. The only thing is, if he's a J or a P. He's successful in his work, and in his hobby. INTPs are supposed to be incapable of doing anything. But then on the other hand, he pretty much goes along with whatever anyone wants, as long as he can fit his hobby in some of the time. So I'm betting P.

Zionoxis

Local time
-->
He's successful in his work, and in his hobby. INTPs are supposed to be incapable of doing anything.

Don't say that; I am hoping to eventually gain my CCIE Security. My procrastination is a problem, yes, but I figure since I enjoy it, I at least will have the ability to plow through.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
PodLair has changed my view of what an INTP is supposed to be. Based on their views, Sheldon breathes INTP.

I also know a few ISTJs well, including a good friend of mine. He and Sheldon share no characteristics.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 8:24 PM
-->
I have been watching Big Bang Theory a lot lately, and his extreme OCD (Judging)

OCD manifests in a variety of ways - what is the particular nature of -his- OCD?

What do you mean by being "Judging"? That he is dominant in judgement rather than perception, or that he has Te/Fe as dominant or auxiliary?

combined with his constant failure to find patterns in conversation, sarcasm, (Sensing),
He works a lot in patterns, doesn't he? :confused:

to his rather apparent lack of social skills
Suggesting introverted thinker, I assume? Again, would require a bit more clarification as to the source of these problems.

suggest to me that he is an ISTJ. Is there any part in my argument which may be flawed and he may be something else, or do you agree? If against, explanations are appreciated.
The argument for Sensing was poor, certainly; the others ambiguous.

The actor is Ti-Ne, and presumably the character too, which is INTP or INTJ depending on your convention.

You could perhaps alter your argument into a case for his temperament (Jung's introverted rational type), and add a quick note for Ti rather than Fi. At this point you may wish to use Ni-Se vs Ne-Si instead of N vs S, though it's up to you.

If you do mean Si dominant, he does have Si but in tertiary, and so this mistype would be akin to mistyping INFJ as INTP.

+ since it's a character, not a real person, it may fit a different type or no type at all, but seems to be intended as a strongly NT character

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Don't say that; I am hoping to eventually gain my CCIE Security. My procrastination is a problem, yes, but I figure since I enjoy it, I at least will have the ability to plow through.
Note that I wrote that "INTPs are supposed to be incapable of doing anything."

Read this forum. I am amazed at just how many things INTPs here have said they did, from rebuilding engines, to becoming top engineers.

However, it seems to be the drive that is important for INTPs. As long as there is more to learn and to figure out, and the experience is pretty pleasant, we're still into it, long after everyone else has given up.

My suggestion would be to keep looking for interesting things in your course, and your subject to learn and to figure out. They can be highly technical things, that no-one else cares about. They can be how to communicate with others on the matters that your course deals with. They can even be just about learning about how the educational system works, using your course as a case study. Doesn't really matter what they are, as long as they keep you wanting to learn more.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
I've never really watched this show, but in work I am affectionately dubbed 'Sheldon' by two dozen people.

The eerie thing is, I got it towards the end of school, and then again in work from people that had absolutely no connection from my school. D:

It's so bizarre when people go:

"Here-here... Sean, c'mere. Isn't he like Sheldon?"

"Who?"

"You know from the big bang theory?"

"Ohmygod yes! Yes he is!"

And I'm just standing there like 'Who the hell is Sheldon?'

I've watched bits of it, but I fail to see a personality resemblance. XD

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
If it's any consolation, you don't come across anywhere near like Sheldon online. :>

edit: I should just surrender my grammar to the whims of the great magnet and be done with it.

thelithiumcat

Local time
-->

I agree. I know two and they are really very different to Sheldon.

whatstheMATTER?

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:24 AM
-->
I like this show.
To scorpiomover, have you considered that in your example of Fi, when Sheldon insists Penny sing him soft kitty, it is

1. An Si yearning to create past established experiences, in this case when he was sick, his mother always cared for him in a way he has grown accustomed.
2. An immature Fe trying to find a surrogate for the mother 'role' (social structure/roles = Fe). He finds Penny suitable.

To point out one for instance, as from my point of view your post is riddled with biases derived from limiting type descriptions, and even when you try to isolate a function and apply it dynamically, you always circle round to reinforce these stereotypes. Basically, you have not understood Fi at all, and the rest of your post is quite the same in relation to the other functions.

I hesitate to comment on the types of the characters in the show, as I doubt the writing ofthe characters are grounded in MBTI , but Raj - more than anyone else - displays Ne consistently. And Sheldon displays TiSi gone wild, ie. no Fe to guide him. And with Asperger's

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
That is such a square type; Mitt Romney probably qualifies somehow.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 11:24 PM
-->
I do not understand how one could type him as a perceiving type due to his obvious lack of ability to see another person's point of view.

:)

@scorpiomover

How does the way you use typology differ from Poker Profiling? I get the feeling you've analyzed so many probabilities about correlations to behavior, but don't understand what the functions mean through that. Just pointing it out in case you care, for your own interest and benefit in differentiating, not really to argue that I know better.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
How does the way you use typology differ from Poker Profiling?
It doesn't. Is there something wrong with Poker Profiling? Does it work?

I get the feeling you've analyzed so many probabilities about correlations to behavior, but don't understand what the functions mean through that.
If someone has an idea, and it makes perfect sense with what I see, read, hear, watch, etc, then to me, it's a valid and useful theory, that I expect to use in my daily life. If I keep coming across holes in the theory, left, right and centre, then it still needs work. For my experience, MBTI still needs work. It seems that on INTJf, INTPf, and elsewhere, LOTS of other people have proposed their own versions of MBTI. But so far, I am equally not convinced that their theories are accurate enough to make them reliable for me.

Just pointing it out in case you care, for your own interest and benefit in differentiating, not really to argue that I know better.
Thanks.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I don't agree with MBTI-derived JCF theories or MBTI functions themselves. However I do think the 4 letter temperaments still hold up regardless of typology system, so that's why I thought to use it instead of functions.

Oddly, I do think he is TiNe, but TiNe within the INTJ temperament.

Ti as a dominant function focus in internal logical consistency (such as a need to have everything phrased in a perfect manner, so that its meaning is perfectly clear. Ti is subjectiv and personal)

So far so good. As you may have noticed Sheldon is obsessed with logical consistency to a degree that is not matched by anyone in the series. This to me screams Ti(This is part of his larger domineering OCD-like problem which hints more at TJ).
Quote(as I remember it): Leonard: We had a team meeting. Sheldon: No you didn't. I wasn't at the meeting, and I am a part of the team, ergo you did not have a team meeting.

Although the quote does not show Leonards Te, it does present Sheldon's Ti.

Intuitive humour is often related to connecting the dots. I don't remember exact quotes for this section, but he laughs when he has to do a bit of thinking in order to understand the fun. (when Amy sends him an sms making a pun connecting laundry(iirc) and Chemistry. What Sheldon cares about, is looking behind the apparent and understand how things work from an abstract perspective. This is a classical intuitive behavior. (few pointers of why he is not ISTJ)

Sheldon shows classic INTP behavior which is uncommon -> unrealistic behavior for an INTJ , which is related to what is said above, and that is the fact that he readily decides to try and learn/understand new things without needing any clear application for it in the real life. Aside from the whole luminous fish thing, you also see him all of the sudden starting to learn finnish.

Good, I think I have talked a bit about Ti/Ne (my answer is based on the assumption that the reader is into functions and feels comfortable with them)

Sheldon's complete lack of social understanding screams inferior function. Sheldon has terrible understanding of social codes, so he either process them through Ti or Si. I can refer to another post of mine regarding INTP Fe here: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?p=269694#post269694 .

Neither INTJ nor INTP should have a bad understanding os sarcasm, but I believe that Sheldons Sarcasm problem, is related to his inferior extraverted feeling(Agreed, though generally due to IxTx). Sheldon does not understand the social codes which the Sarcasm is built on, so he understand what is being said through Ti. a Si-Fe , Ti-Fe situation is presented:

Pennys day is a total wreck; She is too blond to fit a certain acting role, and her wares drops to the floor, and she locks herself out.. Everything goes wrong.

Sheldon: Would you like to come in? (Sheldon knows (Si) that is is good gesture (inferior fe in this case) to invite people in when things are bad

Penny: No I would rather stay out here sheldon!

Sheldon: Alright then. (Sheldon does not understand that she is not being sincere so he has no option but to understand the situation through Ti. "she says no, so she must mean no")

The same Si-Fe is shown when he offers the 'none optional hot beverages', which ofc just shows his complete lack of understanding of everything social.I agree that this example of his latent though inept hospitality does hint towards Si+Fe

Alright, I hope this wasn't bombarding you with info. I am only showing few examples because 1) otherwise would be too time consuming, 2) I expect people to understand the principle behind the argument.
Furthermore I hope that people keep in mind that one does not have to fit a stereotype in order to be that type.

gruesomebrat

Biking in pursuit of self...
Local time
-->
The loom was totally unconnected with the luminous fish, as Sheldon did not provide ANY connection between the 2, and yet expected everyone to understand why he decided to change direction to a loom.
Pretty sure the leap from luminous fish to loom was based on the word play here... 'LUM'inous=loom?

Not sure which function would precipitate that leap though, as I've not done near enough researching into the whole MBTI/typing deal. Just saying... I understood the intuitive leap...

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Pretty sure the leap from luminous fish to loom was based on the word play here... 'LUM'inous=loom?

Not sure which function would precipitate that leap though, as I've not done near enough researching into the whole MBTI/typing deal. Just saying... I understood the intuitive leap...
Lots of people make puns. I know some ESTPs who are really, really fond of making them, and do so often.

Susannah

Null
Local time
-->
He has Asperger Syndrome. You can't always compare him to other people who are neurptypical in typing him . . . They're just different. My best guess would be that he's an ISTJ. Some argue that those who have such mental conditions can't be typed with MBTI, but I disagree.

introverted_thinker

arrgh...redshirt
Local time
-->
An INTJ with Aspergers.

His seemingly very strong Si correlates to the routine yearned by many Aspies; it is not a part of him being an INTJ.

Ink

Local time
-->
After watching a few interviews of him he strikes me as an insecure ESFJ, the inferior function (Ti) motivation is pretty apparent.

Willers

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sheldon Cooper is an ENTJ with obsessive compulsive personality disorder. Solved :)

jmtx

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I know this thread is a few months old, but I just ran across it and wanted to tell you all that I am an ISTJ (and have been every time I've taken the MBTI) and I am ***EXACTLY*** like Sheldon...to the point I've had almost verbatim the same conversations that they have on the show. It's really uncanny.

I don't have Asperger's either, nor any other neuroses.

ENTP lurker

Usually useless
Local time
-->
If a person shows exceptionally bad Si he is probably an Ni user...
Sheldon is exceptionally crappy at Si.

Dom Si users are comfortable with it. His Fe is also down the toilet but sentimental Fi is there.
He seems to live through perception so he is P dom. He does not get Ni moments like auxiliary users. Therefore he is an INTJ. Too bad he is not sarcastic subtype of INTJ (they are the coolest). :)

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
Obvious enfp he likes comics and ultimately cares deeply for his friends, the colld exterior is a front overcompensating along the paradigm of being hurt by loving too many too often, same goes for his solitary life. He's a spurned feeler castigating that side of himself and living in the fantasy world of concepts, sci fi, and fantasy where nothing can hurt him. When monty his battle bot dies he runs away and literally cries in his room (while the laugh track plays) after penny says o cmon its just a robot after he says they should have a funeral for it. Clearly something up here whether its an Fi emotional value on object or a transferrence due to his father leaving at a young age and not getting closur but a hard rational as everyone suggests he is would've logically reconciled such emotional loose ends to an extent as to not pop up in the way they did when Monty was destroyed. So maybe every infp is a wounded enfp but regardless he's definitely got Fi. His notable verbatim memorization skills showcased nearly every episode is glaring evidence of Si, which does seem to be his dominant trait. Ti or subjective method thinking is no where at all to be found, te is rampant in every decision of his, the comparing of every single decision to external objectivity, fueled and fostered by the overarching Si. Fi flares but mostly shut off, parallel existence rather than interactory, the stagnant iced over lake housing tidal swells miles below, but rather than be drowned in it like the infp his te si has him in a submarine from which his unconcious still views the world through the waters of emotion but his te periscope pretty stronk so stuff and things totes istj, the most apt order of all evident functions of his ne included (comicon n stuff).

I imagine the creators/ writers know about mbti typology cuz they imply geekly interests and it would be enveloped. Probably one of the better shows to try to type people on but still a show.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Just watched him display/say in an episode that he always has to be better than everyone else in everything. INTJs usually do that. ISTJs are quite willing to accept that others are better than them in many things.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
Just watched him display/say in an episode that he always has to be better than everyone else in everything. INTJs usually do that. ISTJs are quite willing to accept that others are better than them in many things.

Such blind reference to what you see as a cornerstone of mbti, the general archtypal descriptions, or perhaps real world reference to past experience based on what I am inclined to think is a person who took the test online and came out istj bing bang boom type 100% confirmed extrapolotory data being retrieved for assesment of others OR more likely you typed the person, them unawares, you using the insultingly (to jungs life work) diluted form of "people person or not? I vs e. Airheaded/smartish/nonconformist or more like sheeple and aware of body languagge n stuff N vs S. Displays emotions, smart? F vs T. Orgonizzed or not? J vs P. Bing bang boom typed 100% extrapolating data for ensuing assesment of others.

Such disregard for the underpinning, the actual cornerstones (cog funcs) is heavily indictative of Te vs Ti. Are you of the opinion you're intp? Te; external objective data, method consists of comparing x to societal or otherly approved knowns of consensus. The e vs I in F and T; the ti and Fi have a better understanding of thinking or feeling, they have better analytical faculties or more keen emotional sensibilities, the significance of the consensus agreed knowns become less important because they can come to their own conclusion which is good enough to be relied on, essentially. Similar to s vs n in a general sense, which is why the combo of ti or fi with ne is a polar opposite to the te or fe with si.

I dunno, the power of your post compelled me and the demon unicorn came out.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Such blind reference to what you see as a cornerstone of mbti, the general archtypal descriptions, or perhaps real world reference to past experience based on what I am inclined to think is a person who took the test online and came out istj bing bang boom type 100% confirmed extrapolotory data being retrieved for assesment of others OR more likely you typed the person, them unawares, you using the insultingly (to jungs life work) diluted form of "people person or not? I vs e. Airheaded/smartish/nonconformist or more like sheeple and aware of body languagge n stuff N vs S. Displays emotions, smart? F vs T. Orgonizzed or not? J vs P. Bing bang boom typed 100% extrapolating data for ensuing assesment of others.

Such disregard for the underpinning, the actual cornerstones (cog funcs) is heavily indictative of Te vs Ti. Are you of the opinion you're intp? Te; external objective data, method consists of comparing x to societal or otherly approved knowns of consensus. The e vs I in F and T; the ti and Fi have a better understanding of thinking or feeling, they have better analytical faculties or more keen emotional sensibilities, the significance of the consensus agreed knowns become less important because they can come to their own conclusion which is good enough to be relied on, essentially. Similar to s vs n in a general sense, which is why the combo of ti or fi with ne is a polar opposite to the te or fe with si.

I dunno, the power of your post compelled me and the demon unicorn came out.
You're not kidding about that demon unicorn. This reads like a stream of consciousness without any filtering.

Sheldon thinks he's wonderful. The rest of the world doesn't. But they usually won't tell Sheldon, because if they do, Sheldon makes a whole big thing of it, and it's just easier to agree with Sheldon.

If INTJs are like Sheldon, then they think they are wonderful, but the rest of the world doesn't, but usually, no-one will tell him.

If INTJs are NOT like Sheldon, then either they don't think they are wonderful, or the rest of the world thinks they are wonderful.

But the only way that INTJs will know, is if they refuse to argue on that issue, and just let everyone else give their opinions.

Someone who already knows that he is well-liked, will do that, because he knows that the results will be in his favour.

Someone who already knows that he is not well-liked, will not do that, because he knows that the results will be against him.

So just by how INTJs respond to this issue, speaks volumes about Sheldon's type.

Top Bottom