• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Where are you from?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 10:32 PM
-->
A: Norway.

B: I do enjoy living here. I like the nature, mountains, forests... And where I currently live, it rains a lot, which i like. It's not too populated either. I like the warm summers, and the cold winters.

C: I suppose we are somewhat of an introverted nation?

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 2:32 PM
-->
South Dakota, grew up on a farm.

I enjoyed it, somewhat, but at the same time... it's no place to live and explore as a young adult. It's a great, mild place to raise children somewhat successfully in a nation where anywhere you raise children seems to have a massive negative impact upon the kids.

I feel like I'm blessed/cursed with a lack of stereotype, really. I feel like I'm a naive open slate wherever I go, I take in the culture and it generally surprises me, because I'm not used to, well, anything specific. And I don't really adopt those cultures ever, so I go from place to place with an open poking and prodding mind, but that just strikes me as INTPness. Maybe I just don't recognize my own stereotype o.O

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 1:32 PM
-->
This is weird...do I say where I was born? Where I spent my childhood? Where I spent my young adult years? Or where I am now? My mom's a gypsy and my dad just sort of came along for the ride.

I spent my childhood in Sterling Alaska. Apparently the dirt road I used to live on in now paved. And Sterling HWY is an Interstate? :eek: I probably wouldn't recognize the place now.

As a child I identified with the place. It left me really naive though but thoroughly independent and self reliant. I remember that once a year in school during early fall we would have to go to an assembly and watch a movie about hypothermia, basic first aid, and dealing with wildlife. I used to worry a lot as a kid that if I fell asleep I'd freeze to death like the child in the movie. If you need to know what frost bite looks like and why it's a terrible terrible thing to have I'm your girl! I don't know what the place is like now or if I would identify with it.

What are the stereotypes of being an Alaskan? Big, hairy, carrying a gun, and monosyllabic? Like firehazard, perhaps I just don't see if I have followed the stereotype or not.

Subotai

Local time
-->
I'm from belgium.

I'm very happy that i live here because of the excellent food and healthcare.
(in the USA i would be broke because i'm a diabetic type 1 ( the genetic one ))

There are a lot of stereotypes i guess but i can't really think of one now.
I've also heard that foreigners think we've got a weird political system because of the 3 parlements for the 3 official languages.

And no, we are not all child molesters !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Misanthropy

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:32 PM
-->
Reykjavík, Iceland.

I like it here, I really can't imagine living anywhere else. Unless it's a cold place, where the summer doesn't get unbearably hot (in my case that's >23°C). This is a beautiful place, I love how bare and stark nature looks, I love the mountains, I love the sea. We don't have much to do here, but doing little is one of the things I do best.

According to the things I've heard, Icelandic people are supposed to be beautiful and promiscuous. It's somewhat true.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:32 AM
-->
I am from Norway, German mother (live in Australia).

I like both countries, but miss my culture, nature and the seasons. Also miss my old best friends. I miss going to Germany on holidays. Feel quite German in many ways.

There are a lot of stereotyping/ignorance, have encountered them all here in Australia. I don't fit any of them, and get sick of hearing "oh, I thought all Norwegians were tall and blonde". Australians have some thing about being blonde. Norwegians have some thing about being dark. It's all the same. And Norway is not the capital of Sweden, either :confused:

James Black

Local time
Today 4:32 PM
-->
I live in a small town in Michigan, USA. :'(
I grew up in Flint, Michigan, and now live rather close to the town. I hate the state, but its not worth whining about, I suppose.

As for everything about the state and such, Agent Intellect already said it on page 1.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
I lived in Clatskanie, Oregon from 3 to 17.. a tiny mill town about an hour west of Portland. I think the population still hovers around 1,500 people. My father was the maintenance manager at one of the two mills the town revolves around. A friend of mine lived in the house that Raymond Carver lived in when he was a kid. Out the back door was a Weyerhauser tree forest and state land.. 10s of thousands of unbroken acres to play and hunt in. I haven't lived outside Oregon and Washington for more than a month since.. and I've lived in about 20 places in the last 8 years. Occasionally, I drive around the back roads in Clatskanie for fun.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
A-Where are you from..Okay I don't want an address children...just a country, city maybe...

U.S.A. - Oregon

B-Do you enjoy living there/ have a sense of identity due to it?

to an extent, im not one for travel, and so the idea of having an identity somewhere else is...unappealing

C- What traits/stereotypes do you beleive you are cursed/blessed with?

I would hope people wouldn't judge someone based solely on what country they came from, but people from Portland, OR seem to have a psuedo hippie/radical/stoner stereotype attached to them, but that may be my perspective and not other people's

also, being from the U.S.A. I regularly fear other people feeling we must be stupid or something. again, that may be me projecting my perceptions of my country from another perspective, rather than anyone outside of the U.S. actually feeling that way

chaos85652

Local time
-->
A: Ghent, Belgium

B: Yes. I come from a small town and since I study here, I live here. There's always something to do and I like that

C: Don't know... I don't pinpoint myself on my nationality... We often get compared with Dutch people, and in comparison to them we are more reserved

When I was younger, I lived more near the sea and that region in Belgium always got taunted for being farmers and still living in the dark ages...

WoodsWoman

Local time
-->
Small town in western Maine, population 1800. Grew up here - now live 1.5 miles from the house I grew up in and technically in the next town - even smaller with a population of 850.

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
-->
A- Small town between Baltimore and Washington D.C.

B- Im not particularly fond of it. There is almost nothing to do

C- I have confirmed that the rest of my county believes my tiny unincorporated town, and the next town over, to be the centers of white trash and drug abusers, and they would not be all that wrong.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
Today 9:32 PM
-->
A - i don't come from anywhere. my family comes from pennsylvania, but i've never lived there. i was born in germany, but i've only lived there for three years and some months of my life, split up, and the three years were elementary school. i've lived in georgia, south carolina, germany, texas, and italy when i was an infant, but i'm not from anywhere. except a military family.

B - i'm a military brat -- there is a sense of identity with that, and i fucking hate it.

C - i don't honestly know if anyone stereotypes military kids... i mean, they stereotype the military, but i doubt they really associate that to families of people in the military. i don't know though. the only stereotype i've ever had is that of a "chaplain's kid" (or preacher's kid in some circles)... 'cause my dad's a chaplain... yeah. it's not totally untrue either.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
-->
I'm from a small town in New Jersey
do I like it? No. Mainly due to the fact that nothing exciting ever happens there. Oh and the never changing schedule is no fun either :( (on the other hand I live near the woods which is nice)
stereotypes?? I try to avoid those. I don't exactly "fit in" very well- but I love that :]

Top Bottom