• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What's your top five anime?

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:22 AM
-->
Re: Looking for good anime.

I believe youtube does have avatar on it as well. I didn't watch every episode or anything, but I did find "city of walls and secrets" and the earthbender-rumble episodes on there a few days ago.

The two that I would recommend across the board are "Death Note" and "Elfen Lied". Death note is an anime that every INTx should watch (and a good number of other types, too), and elfen lied made me cry about 4 times in 7 episodes. Before it took a turn for the highly emotional (episode 5-ish, i think?), it was just bad ass.

I believe you can find these series (and most anime, in general) by using google video search "[name of show] [episode number] english sub".

Otherwise, first episode (at least) of elfen lied is at http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=43704980

and first Death Note at http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=7213202

(I'm not sure if the rest of those series are on the same site.... I just video.google.com searched for them in the format I listed above)

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->

hunter x hunter

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->

Fullmetal alchemist
Gungrave
Bleach and naruto of course

tom

sihadiya
Local time
Today 1:22 PM
-->

Evangelion anybody?
I watched the whole thing and both movies on Veoh, no idea if there still their

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 2:22 PM
-->

/start anime nerd rant/
Avatar isn't an anime!It's western animation,only animated in Korea,not Japanese and therefore not an anime.It annoys me when I see Avatar being referred to as an anime,even on the anime streaming sites.
/end anime nerd rant/

As far as anime recommendations go I really liked: Chaos;Head,Night Head Genesis,Kurokami,Wallflower(It is a shojo,but extremely hilarious,the main character too,in fact the whole anime revolves around attempts to turn a creepy loner with weird interests into a proper lady)...

My favourite site for watching anime is Zomganime.com ,it has most of the anime series,I always go there first to look for a series,but there's always the good old google search too.

tom

sihadiya
Local time
-->

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->

I think that at one point anime was the name given to Japanese specific animation, but now I think that it has/should come to mean animation that is being done in a certain style, featured in a series format with plot lines, character art and subject matter too detailed for the show to just be a cartoon. For example, I think that Super Milk Chan should be considered a cartoon, because of it's art style and content. Still, I have to agree about Avatar. I haven't seen an American show that has been able to match the caliber or industry climate of the original Japanese companies.

Deleted member 1424

If you have a fast connection I would recommend using torrents. The video and sound quality is always better and they don't need to buffer. Use the program utorrent and the sites btjunkie.com and isohunt.com . Also read the comments before you download as they will usually give you a heads up if the files are fake or contain viruses. As for anime I recently watched Gankutsuou which was very good for the most part.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->

Here is a non exhaustive list of anime that I would recommend. I'm not sure where it can be found, but I enjoyed watching the titles. Some of them have a (M) or (M+). These are more mature series, so please be aware of that. I am also including a link to a site that can allow you to look up anime titles. Hope it helps, and have fun.

www.animenfo.com

Ah my goddess
Air gear
Air tv
Angel heart
Appleseed
Azumanga daioh
Baccano
Bamboo Blade
Basilisk (M)
Berserk
Black blood brothers
Black cat
Black lagoon (M+)
Bleach
Blood+
Blue gender
Chobits
Chrono crusade
Clannad
Claymore (M)
Code geass
Cowboy bebop
D. Gray Man
Darker than Black
Death note
El Cazador de la Bruja
Elfin lied (M+)
Ergo Proxy
Eureka 7
Excel saga
Fate stay night
Fruits Basket
Full metal alchemist
Full metal panic/fumoffu/the second raid
Full moon wo sagashite
Furi kuri
Genshiken
Great teacher onizuka
Gundam Series
Gunslinger Girl
Hack roots
Hack sign
Hajime no ippo
Hataraki man
He is my master
Hellsing
Hikaru no Go
Inuyasha
Jigoku shoujo
Jin roh – the wolf brigade (M+)
Kanon
Karin
Kenichi
Key the metal idol (M+)
Kiba
Kima ga nozomu Eien (M)
Lain
Last exile
Legend of Himiko
Love Hina
Lucky Star
Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Monster
Nana
Naruto
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Nodame Cantabile
Noein
Noir
Now and Then Here and Now (M)
One Outs
One Piece
Onegai Sensei (M)
Onegai Twins
Ouran High School Host Club
Outlaw Star
Pumpkin Scissors
RahXephon
REC
Rurouni Kenshin
Saiyuki Reload
Samurai 7
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Samurai Shamploo
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
School Rumble
Scrapped Princess
Scryed
Shakugan no Shana
Shaman King
Shigurui (M+)
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Shion no Ou
Shuffle!
Slayers
Solty Rei (M)
Spice and Wolf
Spiral
Super Gals
Tenchi Muyo
Tenjou Tengei
The Twelve Kingdoms
Tokimeki Memorial
Tokyo Underground
Trigun
Trinity Blood
Tsubasa Chronicles
Utawarerumono
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Witch Hunter Robin
Xenosaga
X-Movie
X-TV
xxxHolic (no, not what you are thinking it is)
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge
Zombie Loan

Toad

Local time
-->

I extremely enjoy naruto and bleach. It is slow but if you just start watching it now you have like 400+ episodes to keep you busy.

Local time
-->

I'm well aware that Avater: The Last Air Bender isn't 'anime' I just simply stated that I once found a site to watch them on. I'm checking out zomganime.com

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->

Series:
Haibane Renmei - Just a personal favorite.
Simoun - The first episode threw me off, but it gets so good. Great character development.
Noein - One I'd recommend most for INTP's.
The Third - Fascinating commentary on artificial intelligence and has an incredibly unique ending.

Movies:
Tekkonkinkreet
5cm Per Second
Dog of Flanders
Millenium Actress
Paprika
All Studio Ghibli

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->

I assume I'm probably stating the obvious with some of these.. I'm not really an anime fan in particular, but like almost all forms of media it has its gems. My experience is utterly insignificant in comparison to others on this forum though.
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Princess Mononoke (I've enjoyed everything else I've seen by Miyazaki as well)
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop

I've attempted to watch a lot of anime series, but they rarely hold my interest past the first few episodes (at best). The style and themes are often interesting enough, but there is almost always at least one character that annoys the hell out of me such as the boy in Claymore.

Cobra

Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->

Warning: I got VERY carried away with this. Didn't realize it was happening until the end. Sorry. I less-than-three anime.

I will only watched subbed, dubbed is obnoxious.

Any reason why you don't like dubbed? I have reasons for disliking dubbed, but I still enjoy it better than subbed.

Dubbed anime tend to piss me off when a lot of integral plot line bullets become lost in translation. The films Akira and Ghost in the Shell as well as the series Neon Genesis Evangelion are victims to this repeatedly pummeled by poor translation or, worse yet, direct translations which can sometimes be detrimental to the message, especially when turns of phrases and proverbs are translated from Japanese to English, raw.

But overall, I enjoy dubbed more than subbed for what they're worth for convenience's sake, and for the fact that I enjoy multitasking while I watch, so reading subtitles isn't always in my favor in that department.

I recommend the above in their raw, un-English dubbed formats.

I also recommend all of Hayao Miyazaki's classics. He's the Japanese Walt Disney on absinthe. Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and, for the kids, My Neighbor Totoro are all wonderful! I have not seen the pig one or the cat one. I'll let you know, but I'm assuming they're pretty kiddy. Kiddier than My Neighbor Totoro, which I enjoyed just barely.

I recommend Paprika duly. That shit is what my nightmares are made of.

I've heard Metropolis is excellent, though I haven't seen it myself. Better get high or pretend to be high while watching that one. I've heard rumors.

Origin: Spirits of the Past is an excellent movie, though I'm not sure it is available in sub. Never checked my copy. It's nature meets tech. Very neat.

Steamboy is from the makers of Akira. Excellent film.

Neon Genesis Evangelion has a 2-part film called Death and Rebirth and later just Revival of Evangelion that portrays a hyper-condensed version of the series and an alternate ending that you'll also want to watch.

Ghost in the Shell has an awesome sequel, Innocence, that is totally wicked, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (its serial version listed below) added a third movie, Solid State Society, to the trilogy that isn't really worth watching unless you're a completist, or something. I wasn't impressed. The equivelent to the X-Files movie. Blegh.

As for series that are WONDERFUL in subtitles -
Full Metal Alchemist (hands down greatest of all time, will make you cry, so good, yes that good, you'll never look at your hands the same way again; has a movie to end the series QUITE well, Conqueror of Shamballa)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (quite possibly the most magnificant movie to series translation ever created)
Inuyasha (better than it looks, trust me, had my doubts; also has good movies alternate from the plot line much like Dragonball did)
Cowboy Bebop (will make you feel incredibly cool and want to become a bounty hunter; has a movie, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, that was okay, too)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (I've heard good things about ALL the Mobile Suit Gundam series, and I've tried most of them on at least once or twise, though Wing was the only franchise piece that held my attention; also has a movie, Endless Waltz, I very much enjoyed)
Ergo Proxy (surprisingly MUCH-cooler-than-it-looks-by-the-cover story, dark, futuristic, Japanese 1984-esque setting)

Some of these have been mentioned already, but I figured re-mentioning is a form of reiterating their greatness/popularity. All of these are available in full on DVD with English and Japanese dubbing and subbing.

As for finding them for free, you'll have to ask someone else. I'm not sure if that was one of your concerns.

EDIT: I detest many anime that deal in massive necessity for recap and filler. Some exceptions apply (as you'll probably notice above). Also I hate fighter series wherein many of the "battles" that take place, they spend a bunch of their time explaining their powers and abilities to their opponents. Among the most popular of these series, I've found (in current events, anyway) are Bleach and Death Note. Bleach has caught my attention a few times, but for the most part, it's just a stolen and recycled regurgitation of YuYu Hakusho. Death Note, whose storyline is supposed to be one of the most complex and original of all time, did NOT impress me. Way too "goth" (as in Hot Topic), and way too explanitory and unnecessarily complex. Many of the "twists" seemed forced and the language is very pretentious and unrealistic. This is all just one guy's opinion. Hope that doesn't offend any diehards.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

Death Note, whose storyline is supposed to be one of the most complex and original of all time, did NOT impress me. Way too "goth" (as in Hot Topic), and way too explanitory and unnecessarily complex. Many of the "twists" seemed forced and the language is very pretentious and unrealistic. This is all just one guy's opinion. Hope that doesn't offend any diehards.

I'm afraid it does offend a diehard. How you dare compare a show like Death Note to the likes of crappy shounen action anime such as Bleach is beyond me. Okay, so you do not like the gloomy gothic tone of it. I will not debate this, but the plot is far unlike anything I have seen in any other anime.
The pacing is excellent, and I think what really sets it apart from all the other anime out there is that over the course of 37 episodes, it doesn't repeat itself at all. It is ever changing until the end. This is because of the many brilliant, daring twists that change the face of the plot completely.

Cobra

Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->

I'm afraid it does offend a diehard. How you dare compare a show like Death Note to the likes of crappy shounen action anime such as Bleach is beyond me. Okay, so you do not like the gloomy gothic tone of it. I will not debate this, but the plot is far unlike anything I have seen in any other anime.
The pacing is excellent, and I think what really sets it apart from all the other anime out there is that over the course of 37 episodes, it doesn't repeat itself at all. It is ever changing until the end. This is because of the many brilliant, daring twists that change the face of the plot completely.

Meh, daring, yes. Brilliant, I wouldn't agree with you there. But I'll admit that this story is unlike any that has ever been seen to the likes of anime. I have to give it an A+ in the area of originality. I didn't mean to compare it to Bleach. The only thing it has in common with Bleach is perhaps its close proximity in both Japanese and North American generation and its long monological accounts. I found that, while they didn't repeat too much, they hardly repeated at all. Finding the best mix, I'm certain, is probably difficult. The only reason I was probably truly having any trouble keeping track of the events was probably because they were airing it once a week, and it wasn't impressing me all that much anyway. When I skipped a couple episodes, I came back to find myself completely lost due to one of their "daring and brilliant" twists. They never recapped what happened, so I had to actually go back and look it up.

"Gloomy and Gothic" were not words I used to describe it, though. If it were just that, I'd have a problem with a lot of anime. Specifically, it's the trendy "Goth" atmosphere that bothered me. L wasn't cool to me, however, to millions of despaired teens with angst problems, he was like a fidgety prophet. To most, he was probably just an original character they hadn't seen before. Well... at least not in this context. A detective? No thank you. A number of the other characters exhibited a cliquey style that disconnected them from me. I know this sort of thing seems superficial, but, as an amateur writer, I feel that such integral characters to a story tend to affect the mood of the entire writing. L, as the central antagonist for the first portion of the series, makes everything silly and melodramatic. His character leaves far too much to the imagination, and if he was just a little bit more normal, or if they had taken you more into his life and developed him better, the whole show might have been easier for me to like. I focus on him because of his importance, but there are others. Misa, Near (yes, I realize his similarity to L is deliberate), Mello... All of these characters were difficult to give a dang about.

Despite my grievances (as I said, "just one man's opinion"), it's ragingly popular, and should not be discredited. It's a good show, I just didn't like it, so I'm being awfully hard on it.

Enne

Local time
-->

Coyote Ragtime Show? If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you could try that.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->

I didn't think Death Note was that great. The first 1/3 sucked me in.. it was amazing. But then the rest of it was a chore to get through until the 3 or so final episodes.

I really loved L though; he's one of my favorite anime characters.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->

Currently watching Shangri-La, which is awesome.

The story is set in a neo-futuristic age, in which aggressive "carbon trading" practices have been introduced in countries around the world to combat accelerating global warming. The Japanese Government promoted a project run by Atlas Corporation to reduce carbon emissions by turning Tokyo into the world's largest "jungle-polis." Atlas Corp started constructing an unprecedentedly high tower city called Atlas to relocate only the rich and privileged. Kuniko Hojo, 18-year-old leader-designate of an anti-government guerrilla group Metal-age, returns to her town after 2 years of imprisonment. In concert with the Metal-age comrades, Kuniko rises in a rebellion against the government for those people left on the once-flourished ground of Tokyo.

Spaekle

ribbit
Local time
-->

Monster is a really good series. I've been reading the manga. There's an anime too, but I can't vouch for whether or not it's as good.

Might want to check it out if you like Death Note or crime investigation stuff in general.

Enne

Local time
-->

I didn't think Death Note was that great. The first 1/3 sucked me in.. it was amazing. But then the rest of it was a chore to get through until the 3 or so final episodes.

I really loved L though; he's one of my favorite anime characters.

I liked the time when he cupped his hand to his ear! :D

I thought the end of Death Note was funny for some reason ...

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
Recommend some anime

for someone who has seen very little of it but has been meaning to get into it for a few years.

Last edited:

Ilmlas

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Re: Recommend some anime

If you're pretty new to it... Deathnote. If you've already seen that, I'll have to come back with more answers since I like so many.

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->

*seconds Death Note and adds Elfen Lied to the list*

Deleted member 1424

If you like anime, then I recommend you start reading manga as well (essentialy the graphic novel form for anime). Here is a good site to start you off for manga and anime. Good manga/anime titles off the top of my head are Full Metal Alchemist, Trigun, Berserk (so I've heard), Angel Sanctuary (manga only), Code Geass (anime only), Soul Eater, Count Cain (manga only), Black Lagoon, Elfen Lied, Gankutsuou (gorgeous art), Darker than Black (not as emo as it sounds :p), Hellsing and as ilmlas said Death Note.

You also have the huge titles like Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha (and One Piece but I've never watched or read that). They make decent manga, but I always found the anime counterparts painfully slow and immature.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 6:22 AM
-->

(damnit I lost my post, stupid flaky connection :beatyou:)

I support Full Metal Alchemist (IMO, this would be the ideal starter), Code Geass, Death Note, Elfen Lied. Other great ones are Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and the most infamous Evangelion.

Enjoy :smoker:

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->

First, what genres are you generally interested in?

Second, one must admire the Japanese for creating the most interesting stories out of even the weirdest and ludicrous premises. "Better than it sounds" is something like an unspoken rule. And yes, I'm looking at you Onani Master Kurosawa and Bobobobo Bobobo!

However, anime is such a broad field that even I who has seen over a hundred series has only scratched the surface.

Animes are for the most part categorized into four vague groups which are named after the main demographies:

Shounen
Directed at male teenagers.
Assigned genres:

Sports Anime: Mostly the story of a young teenager who wants to become the greatest $sport player of all time. Expect over-the-top duels, lots of never-give-up speeches and a farewell to physics. Can be dangerous for dinosaurs.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-nfYMcJpk]

Notable examples:
Prince of Tennis (Tennis)
Captain Tsubasa (Soccer)
Slam Dunk (Basketball)
Eyeshield 21 (American Football)
One Outs (Baseball)
Hikaru no Go (Go - it's really better than it sounds)
Beyblade (top spins - it's really worse than it sounds. Being a complete masochist, I watched all seasons)

Fighting anime: Mostly the story of a young teenager who wants to become the greatest $noun of all time. Expect over-the-top duels, lots of never-give-up speeches and a farewell to physics and common sense. However, while there can be supernatural elements in sports anime as well, they are much more prevalent in fighting anime or it even takes place in a fantasy world.

Notable examples:
Fist of the North Star (the primal father and trope maker)
Dragonball (came after FotNS but was overall more influential and the animation was groundbreaking for its time. However, it's really lengthy with lots of fillers. Still insanely popular)
Yu Yu Hakusho (often called a Dragonball-ripoff but they actually aired at the same time and personally I think it's the superior anime... better characters, better villains and much cleverer; famous for utilizing the concept of hoe yay to attract more female viewers)
Pokemon (yuck! And it's still running!)
Digimon (like Pokemon but with making sense)
Shaman King (followed mostly the rules that Dragonball established... WITH SHAMANISM! Fukyo worships it for some reason >.>)
Fullmetal Alchemist (I love this show simply because it doesn't follow the established rules, a must-see. There are actually two animes, one that is finished and one is currently running but they are both two different continuities. Awesomely enough, they both are great)
Katekyo Hitman Reborn (like Dragonball... WITH MAFIA!)
Soul Eater (like Dragonball... WITH GRIM REAPERS!)
Naruto (like Dragonball... WITH NINJAS! Wait, that's actually a bit unfair. Naruto is except for some flaws (Sasuke....) a really good manga/anime but has quite a bad reputation because of its fans (called 'Narutards'). However, it's clearly influenced by Dragonball and Yu Yu Hakusho but has enough creativity and original ideas. Most popular anime in the USA)
One Piece (like Dragonball... WITH PIRATES! No, wait! Again, One Piece is the logical conclusion of Dragonball but makes everything better. To put it simply, I love this show. It's completely insane and full with originality that would be enough for a full dozen of anime. It's the best fighting shounen you can watch. Tv tropes says it's the show with the highest Holy Shit Quotient in existence, I say they are right)
Bleach (like Yu Yu Hakusho... WITH... uhm... actually it's just Yu Yu Hakusho with extra. I don't really like it but there are enough people who do)
Hunter X Hunter (from the same creator who did Yu Yu Hakusho. Most likely the most intelligent shounen fighting anime/mang in existence)
Fairy Tail (like Dragonball... WITH MAGIC! Well, this one just began to air in Japan and it seems to become the next big thing)
Rurouni Kenshin (set in a historical setting, it differs a lot from traditional shounen. Features the most sympathetic shounen protagonist ever. One of my all-time favourites!
Fate/Stay Night (uhm, heroes from all time gather to fight for the holy grail)
Record of Lodoss War (another genre classic. This anime is based on an actual Dungeons & Dungeons campaign)

Crime anime: Think of detective novels in the tradition of Arthur Conan Doyle or Agatha Christie mixed with modern thriller elements for good measure.

Death Note (contrary to popular opinion, it's not seinen but shounen. Well, it is certainly one of the best anime of the last years and very popular amongst N-types because of its intelliegnt and complex story. Unfortunately, ending fatigue approaches!)
Case Closed (long runner, a junior detective finds himself shrunken to the size of a elementary school kid and uncovers all kinds of crimes. I like it.
Kindaichi Case Files (complex with classic whoddunit and locked room murders. For some reason it's rather obscure)
Lupin III (features the deeds of a lovable master thief)

There is even an anime with the name Agatha Christie's Great Detectives Poirot and Marple, however I didn't watch it so far but it seems interesting.

Mecha: The reason why we love anime. Giant robots fight each other while the pilots debate about philosophical questions. Throw physics out of the window!

Gundam (what's to say about Gundam? It launched the whole genre and to this point there are so many series, OVAs and movies that it takes weeks just to watch them all. You better check out the wikipedia entry)
Super Dimension Fortress Macross (almost as influential as Gundam. Also, lots of series and spin-offs!)
Getter Robo (another genre classic)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (the ultimate deconstruction of the otherwise optimistic and shiny mecha genre. Invented mind rape! Every character is completely broken and the whole series is extremely depressing. A must see. Famous for its legendary mindscrew ending)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (the anti-NGE from the same studio. It's hard to describe it with mere words but 'It's actually more like an experiment to see how awesome an anime can be'. I love it. For great effect, watch this anime directly after NGE, the best therapy one can get)
Code Geass (the Death Note of the mecha genre. A modern classic)

Girls with guns: Exactly what it says. If that's not awesome, nothing is. Expect lots of angst.

Noir
Madlax
El Cazador De La Bruja
Phantom of Inferno (all four by Beetrain. They sure have a fetish there)
Canaan
Gunsmith Cats

Shoujo
Directed at female teenagers.
Assigned genres:

Magical Girl: Girls with superpowers fight evil.

Sailor Moon (THE genre classic. It's what Dragonball is for fighting shounen.
Magic Knight Rayearth (mixes magical girl genre with mecha. Awesome)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (what NGE is for mecha. Magical girl meets feminism, gnosticism and Jungian psychology. Awesome soundtrack)
Card Captor Sakura (yet another genre classic by CLAMP)
Futari Wa Pretty Cure (magical girl meets post-modernism. Lovely)
Mai-Hi ME (magical girl meets even more post-modernism)
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (magical girl series targeted at seinen audience. Hilarity ensues)

Slice of Life: Life itself is examined. Insanely popular in anime and tons of series are about this genre that is actually not a genre. Often directed at both genders.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (as post-modern as anime can get. Personally, I find it overrated)
Lucky Star ("Like Seinfeld on crack" - agreed)
Azumanga Daioh ("Like Peanuts on LSD" - agreed)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (suicidal depression has never been funnier!)

Seinen
Directed at male adults

Cowboy Bebop (what Firefly ripped off. Also, Tank!)
Elfenlied (a cute girl takes bloody revenge... or so. Gorn)
Baccano! (Pulp Fiction meets alchemy in the USA of the 1930's. Gorn)
Berserk (Guts seeks for his former friend Griffith to take revenge. The manga is better though. Legendary downer ending. Gorn)
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (slice of life meets murder mystery. Gorn)
Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (murder mystery meets mindscrew. Gorn)
Basilisk (Romeo and Juliet... WITH NINJAS! Better than it sounds)
Monster (probably the most mature and complex story to find in anime)
Trigun (actually reminds of a more serious Rurouni Kenshin... but as western)
GunXSword (like Trigun... WITH MECHA!)
Narutaru (what if Pokemon was about killing people?)
Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Christo... ON LSD!)
FLCL (huh?)
Hellsing (vampire hunting... with lots of gorn)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (a cyberpunk classic)
Gantz (monster hunting with mindscrew and tons of gorn... the second season is a disaster)
Blackjack (Dr. House as anime but as over-the-top as possible. Epic surgeries ensue)
Excel Saga (impossible to describe... it's everything... and nothing)
Claymore (demon hunting... with lots of gorn)
Serial Experiment Lain
(also cyberpunk with extra deconstruction sauce)

Josei
Directed at female adults. Aka the genre you have never heard of. The problem is that Josei manga get rarely an anime adaption and so I watched only one anime from this genre and that only because my ex-girlfriend liked it.

Nana (at first glance it looks like a typical shoujo wish-fulfillment slice of life but it turns out to be a realistic deconstruction of said genre)

I'm aware that some classifications are debatable but that's not really the point here I think.

Robert

Local time
-->

Scooby Doo's the best anime I ever saw

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

Like Anthile said, you really should specify what genre you're interested in. If you have no preference, Death Note is the way to go. I would suggest staying away from the standard shounen fare, Naruto, Dragonball, Bleach, etc. that stuff's not ideal for INTPs.

random extra #7

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:22 AM
-->

If any of you liked death note you should look into one called Monster.
I thought it was amazing.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

I watched all of Monster. It was consistently good but never great.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->

All I've seen so far is pokemon and digimon, and howls moving castle, and clips on the internet. As for genres I probably prefer fantasy and science fiction

At the top of my list of starters are death note, full metal alchemist, princess mononoke, Code Geass, gundam and ghost in the shell.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->

Welcome to the N.H.K.

You'll regret it if you don't watch it as soon as you can.

Also, some movies: Mindgame, Tekkon Kinkreet, Cat Soup, Paprika.

Toad

Local time
-->

If you're watching death note first, make sure u watch at least 4 episodes...the beginning episodes are really boring.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

If you're watching death note first, make sure u watch at least 4 episodes...the beginning episodes are really boring.

Actually, I found Death Note captivating from beginning to end. The beginning episodes wonderfully set the tone of the series.

Ombat

but for all I aspire I am really a liar
Local time
-->

I tend to like girly anime/manga (Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket)

But definitely start with DN, Code Geass, etc. They will mess with your mind, plus, L is the greatest fictional character conceived.

For the big name anime, like Naruto, Bleach, etc., you kind of have to commit yourself. Bleach, for example, has over 200 episodes. You might find yourself obsessed and then never do anything productive again.

I guess this is just a question for me: Is Evangelion really amazing? I watched one episode and kind of fell asleep. From the descriptions, it sounds like something I'd be completely into, though.

Ombat

but for all I aspire I am really a liar
Local time
-->

L really is a great character, but I seem to have forgotten to use my "I'm not really being serious font" for that one. I usually use "Rockwell Extra Bold" but it's not supported by this forum.

Nice pic XD

kubikub

Local time
-->

Oh man, I used to be super into anime back in early high school. I don't think my interest ever really waned, but I don't watch tv anymore and to find a good manga (that I would enjoy at least) it took some pretty intense crap-filters. There is a looooot of manga I find unbearable.
Never saw the anime, but the Deathnote manga was pretty fantastic. I also liked Naruto until I realized there was no way I could afford the ever-expanding collection of books in the series.
FLCL = cocaine, both the show and the books. Trigun I think was what originally got me into anime, it's still probably my favorite show just for its nostalgic value... I would wake up at 4 am everyday to watch it on adult swim before middle school. It got pretty bad. Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo I both enjoyed. Fullmetal Alchemist is also a great show.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->

And while we're on the subject of manga:

125158742124.jpg

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->

Some of those sound great. "Space Adventure Cobra" made me lol

And deathnote is excellent, but the themetune is terrible

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->

Gantz....

Don't ask, just fucking watch it, right now. You can probably stream it online somewhere, it is by far one of the best animes out there. And then when you finish, read the manga.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
-->

Gantz....

Don't ask, just fucking watch it, right now. You can probably stream it online somewhere, it is by far one of the best animes out there. And then when you finish, read the manga.

Not really. The animé has horrible pacing and ends right before the best part of Gantz' plot begins. The manga is better, but sort of a guilty pleasure for me: It's not very well thought-out, and, not very good overall by standard criterion, but an interesting read anyway.

Mr.W

Local time
Today 6:22 AM
-->

I cannot recommend Cowboy Bebop more highly.
Cowboy Bebop
It is the most stylish science fiction anime you will ever find.

And of course there is the obligatory Ghost in the Shell and Akira recommendations.
Akira
If you have the option, watch them in HD. They're both in blu-ray and they're stunning.

My favorite anime, though, has to be Mushi-shi. Slow paced, relaxing, surreal.
Mushi-shi
For fantasy, there's the Vision of Escaflowne series.
And just for its sheer awesomeness, I have to recommend the Samurai X OVAs.
Samurai X OVA

And I'll throw in some FLCL.
FLCL / Fooly Cooly / Furi Kuri

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->

I've just finished Deathnote. Damn that's a brilliant story, I can't compare it to anything. I'll have to try and get hold of the manga next

Top Bottom