• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What's you favorite style of Art?

naberus

Local time
Tomorrow 3:19 AM
-->
Self-explanitory title, this applies to all time periods, movements and styles such as anime, sci-fi, impressionism, barouqe, etc. and explain why you like it.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 9:19 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I like all sorts of art. I tend towards more modern stuff, but I like anything from abstract to surreal, anime, digital art, minimalism. I don't like specific styles as much as I do certain elements. I have to have lots of contrast, great use of color, hypnotic composition, etc. It just has to be successful in its design and connect with me somehow.

didyouknow

Local time
Tomorrow 2:19 AM
-->
I like everything and anything. I just change favourites every few months. At the moment, it's Art Nouveau because of the almost flat look of the paintings, the symbolic and interesting backgrounds and the curves and colours of the architecture.

dwags222

Local time
Today 10:19 AM
-->
i'm not sure i have a favorite style, though certainly not realism, and especially not photorealism (what a waste of talent in my opinion!). however, i think i do have a favorite set of paintings, which is monet's haystacks. unfortunately i have only seen the ones in chicago in person, but i would love to see them all!

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
i'm not sure i have a favorite style, though certainly not realism, and especially not photorealism (what a waste of talent in my opinion!).

That.

And I have never understood why people like monet's haystacks so much. I think they are so boring...

-------

Sci-fi is a style? It's more of a theme, no?

Parodyofme

Local time
Today 12:19 PM
-->
I enjoy the works of Luis Royo and Angel Irlanda. Ever since I saw a badass piece by Royo I get a calendar of his work each year. Irlanda is pretty new to me. I saw some of his stuff in a little bar downtown and it just so happened his hot Puerto Rican manager/wife was in there, so she showed me even more of his stuff on this little digipad thing and gave me a nice card. Have I mentioned how much I like latinas?

FusionKnight

It's not my fault!
Local time
Today 11:19 AM
-->
Some things that I like:

Arts and Crafts (architecture and interior design)
Art Deco (architecture and interior design)
Prairie Style (architecture)
Minimalism (music)
Absurdism (theater and literature)
Impressionism (music)

lindsayo09

Local time
-->
in my closet away from all these crazy people!!!
i am a art freak, my favorite type is picasso, cubism! i love eyes and hands and messing a really great picture up to make it look like something people stop and stare at and are like what in gods name was in her head! it's so awsome!

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:19 PM
-->
Romanticism, Art Nouveau, Gothic, Baroque...

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
I don't like specific styles as much as I do certain elements. I have to have lots of contrast, great use of color, hypnotic composition, etc. It just has to be successful in its design and connect with me somehow.

Except in my case it's mostly gradients, complex nuances, a code I can decode even if it's unconsciously...

It has to make me wonder about the context or hook me with its directness. Preferably both.

I don't even have to like it immediately, as long as the reason why is comprehensible and there's something to learn about it.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like things to be visually bold, stark, with intriguing lines that leave you wondering what's round the corner - strong colours, good use of light, intricate, but not elaborate, decoration...

Duragg84

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Abstract, Surrealism, Symbolism, and Impressionism.

mikal

Local time
Today 6:19 PM
-->
Definitely surrealism. When talking about painting, Salvador Dali is my favorite artist. He was going deeply into human subconscious trying to discover what man actually is (when his extern decor is removed).

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
I like things that are either very simple, or enormously detailed.

Impressionism (not all, but some), Japanese Woodcut Prints (especially of mountains, but dislike those of people), paintings of trees (especially by Tom Uttech), Surrealism (Escher), baroque/gothic. I like many Enlightenment-era paintings as well.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
I hate this age's art. It's all about shock value and grossing people out. I love works by Yoshitaka Amano; his work is very surreal and beautiful. I wish he did more...

mathy

Local time
-->
I hate this age's art. It's all about shock value and grossing people out. I love works by Yoshitaka Amano; his work is very surreal and beautiful. I wish he did more...

I adore Yoshitako Amano! :D

There is good art being done in this age, but you've got to dig to find it. I agree, the stuff that is just there for shock value and no other purpose is annoying. Someone mentioned in another thread about "propaganism" and that's what I find a lot of new art to be.

There was someone in South America I read about that paid some kids a small amount of money to catch a stray dog. Then proceeded to tie the dog up in the exhibit, without food or water, and let it be until it died (all the while people coming in and out to view it). He won a freaking AWARD for that bullcrap! That is NOT art.

Ok, that was a tangent, but yeah I agree, there is a lot of really terrible stuff, where people are so worried about making an impression that they forget what art is about.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena

I imagine every era is like that. There's always pathetic, disgusting, cliche, or otherwise bad art. The past eras just seem more glorious because the bad art gets weeded out over time.

mathy

Local time
-->
Thomas Kinkaid is the BEST! :D:D:eek::phear:

**was the sarcasm blatant enough?

Craftyfox

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 5:19 AM
-->
I love looking at how art has progressed throughout time. Keen on the Cubists, also a fan of Die Brucke and Kathe Kollwitz.

Morel Panic

Revenant
Local time
-->
Since this is such a general question, I'll give a general answer... :D
In general I like to find art where I didn't expect it.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 1:49 PM
-->
I'm not trained in the visual arts, but I tend to enjoy minimalistic and abstract art a lot more...just sort of seeing the possibilities in the pictures/thinking about stuff the art brings to mind is the closest I ever get to visual art analysis :o.

I also enjoy landscape and nature photography (not too sure if this goes here, but...eh...)

Crayon

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Surrealism.
And Impressionism too, but not as much.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
I like anything "pretty". Classical Greek/Roman, Rennaisance( the pictures with the beautiful fair-skinned women). Perfect example would be La Primavera. I'm attracted to visuals that smooth,curved, flowing, fluid. Things like typical Picasso and Marcel Duchamp's Nude Decending Staircase are just too visually jarring and I find them repulsive.

Earendel

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:19 PM
-->
I'm quite drawn to ancient art, especially Paleolithic (mysterious symbols, what could be better?). But on the other hand, I'm quite fond of most modern art, especially if I'm familiar with the ideas behind it. It's hard for me to appreciate a piece just because it's beautiful - there has to be some kind of idea behind it. Lately I've fallen in love with Dada and Surrealism. That both movements glorified individual thought processes and made use of esoteric, personal symbols makes them delightfully mysterious and strange ^^

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 7:19 PM
-->
Art is at the center of my conflicting understanding of subjectivity. Things such as purpose, hidden intentions, dreams, realizations, feelings, emotional understandings, it says something more than the "neutral" logic!!

We must construct our own perceptions well. But what if there really is no subjectivity? the concept exists but can it not? If we live our lives via only biological impetus that determines for us what is "illogical", would it be "meaningful". Meaning I believe is brought by this subjectivity and the measure of worth is defined without the necessity of logic. It exists on its own. We should cater to this unquantifiable data.

My Art is the purpose of Art. Anime is cool too, heh.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
Colours. Also sharpness. I like defined lines and a clear palet, gradients and jarring contrasts are nice too.

Anything that tricks the eye... Anybody else into Escher?

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->
Romanticism and its close relatives, i.e. anything that does not clearly divide the "Apollonian" from the "Dionysian" and is "art for art's sake", i.e. focuses on depicting feelings rather than their causes, and does not ethically judge (if it uses a medium where that is possible at all). Like Schopenhauer, I think art should give an objective account of its subject matter, which in most cases includes, and in the case of music solely consists of the artist's feelings, or their will, as Schopenhauer put it.
I like static visual art with not too strong colours, or only in small portions of the picture, and it should not be a mere copy of reality - or what is generally perceived as reality - but express an emotion or idea. Withal it does not matter if it the content and style are realistic. In Romanticism, I tend to like either all or most works of single artists (such as Caspar David Friedrich and Theodor Kittelsen) or very few, while in newer styles, such as surrealism or abstract art, I usually only like relatively few pictures by one artist, or only from a certain period of their work.

Top Bottom