• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Random Thoughts Thread

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:39 AM
-->
"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum." - Adlai E. Stevenson

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Aww... It's getting too hot. Might have to braid my hair unless I end up cutting it.

Esurient Fere

*grownup
Local time
Today 12:39 PM
-->
Could be. They already study hair to find out if the person is schizophrenic or autistic. And claim hair gives good biomarkers. That should be quite a bit further down the line then just heightened sensitivity.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006322314005708
Both brain and hair and nervous system is made from the same stuff of the embryo, Ectoderm. So that this stuff is connected may be quite possible.

While you can still collect information from hair cells they're dead. Once the hair protrudes from the skin it's dead. The idea that this would gather and return sensory input seems more than far fetched. The effect may be real but the causal factor is more likely to be something along the lines of hearing variations due to vibrating hair and not hair directly sensing.
At the very least, and this is really giving the benefit of the doubt here, there is no real basis or data to back it up and it's wild conjecture.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Schizophrenia is genetic. They can pretty take whatever path they want to study and find out more about it. That's how it usually goes anyway.

Hair is the number one threat to the Illuminati. The hairier you are the further away you are from conforming to the Illuminati. That's all you really need to know about that, plus that hair is mostly water. I forget sometimes but they easily profile you if seen walking down the street.

Esurient Fere

*grownup
Local time
-->
Hair is the number one threat to the Illuminati. The hairier you are the further away you are from conforming to the Illuminati. That's all you really need to know about that, plus that hair is mostly water. I forget sometimes but they easily profile you if seen walking down the street.

I used to braid my hair down to my belt line. People were so confused when the long-haired-bare-foot-hippy would hold the door open for them. Mildly entertaining.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 9:39 PM
-->
Just as a fyi there are those who can be categorized as having schizophrenic episodes who don't have genetic factors to them at all. Schizophrenia as a disease is somewhat genetic, but the rise of schizophrenia and its subforms are of debate. It isn't always genetic.

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
“You have to test your ideas in a public forum.” – Hillary Clinton, an ESTJ according to Celebrity Types.

Lapis Lazuli

Banned
Local time
-->
Just as a fyi there are those who can be categorized as having schizophrenic episodes who don't have genetic factors to them at all. Schizophrenia as a disease is somewhat genetic, but the rise of schizophrenia and its subforms are of debate. It isn't always genetic.

Are you hinting that there are methods for inducing the condition?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Everyone knows a few drugs induce schizophrenia like symptoms, but it isn't actually schizophrenia. And then there are events that initiate the "illnesses" but one typically has to have a genetic basis for it in the first place. If not then it's probably a transient psychosis or something similar to schizo... Sounds simple. I need to look up more cases of this.

Lapis Lazuli

Banned
Local time
-->
Everyone knows a few drugs induce schizophrenia like symptoms, but it isn't actually schizophrenia. And then there are events that initiate the "illnesses" but one typically has to have a genetic basis for it in the first place. If not then it's probably a transient psychosis or something similar to schizo... Sounds simple. I need to look up more cases of this.

I was hinting at cultural methods for inducing these states. One current topic is Catilyn Jenner and the Cartesian Theatre. These methods seem to be closer than most are aware of.

[BIMG]http://www.intpforum.com/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2677[/BIMG]

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 8:39 AM
-->
Maybe he was plugging in a lamp while standing in a puddle at the time...

Electric-Shock-Cartoon.png

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 6:39 AM
-->
Okay, so Enneagram tests, specifically questions for type 4, confuse me.

If you are obsessed with your own uniqueness, to the point that it bothers you to be like others, isn't that the opposite of being being "authentic"? If you must compare yourself to others in order to judge your own sense of self, doesn't that belong on the other side of the conformity coin?

Real independence of thought, and real authenticity would occur independently of the norm. It would mean that you might like a Lady Gaga song, and not reject it out of hand simply because she's "popular". You'd judge it according to its own merit and not care what others think of it, right?

I think we need to start recategorizing "nonconformity" into "aconformity" and "anti-conformity". Anti-conformity runs akin to counter-culture -- it's the systematic rejection of popular themes in order to maintain your image of "difference". This, as opposed to aconformity, which would describe a general apathy when considering what is "normal" or not.

The questions on Enneagram tests seem to be looking for anti-conformists, and so I don't understand know how so may INTPs come up as 5w4. Why would we care whether scarves are in style, except for the purchasing convenience if we happen to like them (I really don't understand that trend, but you get my point). Why would we panic if it turned out that we like the same band as the ESFJ over there? Yet, looking at the test questions, it's implied that a "4" would be devastated.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The questions on Enneagram tests seem to be looking for anti-conformists, and so I don't understand know how so may INTPs come up as 5w4. Why would we care whether scarves are in style, except for the purchasing convenience if we happen to like them (I really don't understand that trend, but you get my point). Why would we panic if it turned out that we like the same band as the ESFJ over there? Yet, looking at the test questions, it's implied that a "4" would be devastated.
With my limited knowledge I can only say that INTP could be 5w4 or 5w6 in enneagram terms.

Uniqueness in clothing and possessions (or other things) is what I see more with the INFP people I know, to the point where one is likely to hand craft a pen holder or a bag, rather than have it purchased and look the same as the rest.

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How can I be an Introvert and a Judger and have Ne as part of my functions? It is like so obvious I am an ISXJ.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
With my limited knowledge I can only say that INTP could be 5w4 or 5w6 in enneagram terms.

Yup, under the enneagram system w/ wings, you only get the option of 5w6 or 5w4.

The wings influence the bent of the Five and what things hold interest. I tend to see the Four bent as more subjective and focused on the individual's personal way of seeing -- that's the Four coming through -- the Six bent aims it at more externalized standards with thus tend to be less subjective in approach.

Okay, so Enneagram tests, specifically questions for type 4, confuse me.

If you are obsessed with your own uniqueness, to the point that it bothers you to be like others, isn't that the opposite of being being "authentic"? If you must compare yourself to others in order to judge your own sense of self, doesn't that belong on the other side of the conformity coin?

Real independence of thought, and real authenticity would occur independently of the norm. It would mean that you might like a Lady Gaga song, and not reject it out of hand simply because she's "popular". You'd judge it according to its own merit and not care what others think of it, right?

I think we need to start recategorizing "nonconformity" into "aconformity" and "anti-conformity". Anti-conformity runs akin to counter-culture -- it's the systematic rejection of popular themes in order to maintain your image of "difference". This, as opposed to aconformity, which would describe a general apathy when considering what is "normal" or not.

Sure, although I don't think it's as relevant to the "wing" discussion as per what I just said above, just to the Four type. But I see a huge difference in anti-conformity vs aconfirmity (the latter of which I identify with). There's a small piece of me that hates other people misjudging why I like or don't like something, but typically I still just do whatever I want regardless of how it matches up to the rest of society.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 6:39 AM
-->
Yup, under the enneagram system w/ wings, you only get the option of 5w6 or 5w4.

The wings influence the bent of the Five and what things hold interest. I tend to see the Four bent as more subjective and focused on the individual's personal way of seeing -- that's the Four coming through -- the Six bent aims it at more externalized standards with thus tend to be less subjective in approach.
So what about 5w9? I get that more often than 5w6 and 5w4 (depending on the test).

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
So what about 5w9? I get that more often than 5w6 and 5w4 (depending on the test).

In the enneagram, you can't have a wing that isn't next to the main type. (That's what a "wing" is -- something on either side of the "body".)
If you didn't know that, then maybe that will help explain why you see so many 5w4 and 5w6's; those are the only two options for a 5.
(Similarly, you can only have a 8w7 or 8w9, etc.)

now, if you want to explore tritype, it lets you list your high score in each of the three centers (heart, head, gut). So it sounds like you have a 9 as your gut/instinct item.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I was hinting at cultural methods for inducing these states. One current topic is Catilyn Jenner and the Cartesian Theatre. These methods seem to be closer than most are aware of.

[BIMG]http://www.intpforum.com/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=2677[/BIMG]

Carl Jung stated that the whole of modern society was in a state of induced psycopathy...
Cultural conditioning has been my favorite topic this year :P

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
-->
I have come across a theory that explains hallucinations that ties really nice into cultural studies. Should I share it?

(That sounds interesting.. you should share ^^)

Some musings written down earlier today while contemplating:

Beauty feeds the Soul because it resonates with its nature and amplifies its existence. Understanding to the Mind is as Beauty to the Soul.. and so a full experience of the world that brings one to wholeness must include both.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 1:39 PM
-->
How can I be an Introvert and a Judger and have Ne as part of my functions? It is like so obvious I am an ISXJ.

why don't you answer the questions that are the only thing that could make your posts relevant whatsoever you suckafuck :storks:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
[long pause]

What's a suckafuck?

42389.gif

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
[longer pause]

Nightcrawler_67935.jpg

i'm dedicated and i will do what it takes

Lapis Lazuli

Banned
Local time
-->
(That sounds interesting.. you should share ^^)

Some musings written down earlier today while contemplating:

Beauty feeds the Soul because it resonates with its nature and amplifies its existence. Understanding to the Mind is as Beauty to the Soul.. and so a full experience of the world that brings one to wholeness must include both.

This is an explanation of hallucinations by analogy.

Lets say you go to a party and everyone there agrees to play a game. The goal is to figure out what the secret is. Someone will stand up and tell everyone one of their secrets, but another person, either chosen or volunteers, leaves the room while that secret is told to everyone else. When the “detective” comes back into the room, they ask yes or no questions until they figure out the secret.

The catch is that while the detective is outside the room, no secret is told. When the questions begin, the detective is able to put together a narrative from bits of seemingly objective data, i.e. the responses from other players.

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
"What truly is logic? Who decides reason? It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any logic or reason can be found." - John Nash, an INTJ according to Celebrity Types.

"The only thing greater than the power of the mind is the courage of the heart." - John Nash, an INTJ according to Celebrity Types.

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
^Random Thought:

I think John Nash was being sarcastic

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I couldn't find any other place to post this, and didn't want to start a thread for a handful of images. Found a cool site debunking "chemophobia" and the crowd that appeals to nature.

[bIMG]https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/ingredients-of-an-all-natural-passionfruit-poster.jpg[/bIMG]

[bIMG]https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/ingredients-of-an-all-natural-egg2.jpg[/bIMG]

[bIMG]https://jameskennedymonash.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/ingredients-of-a-banana-poster-4.jpeg[/bIMG]

[bIMG]http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/images/Chemicals/Chemicals_Infographic_Apples_LoveHearts_web.png[/bIMG]

[bIMG]http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/images/SAS_-_Dose_Makes_The_Poison_FINAL_1.png[/bIMG]

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/tag/chemophobia/
http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/making-sense-of-chemical-stories.html

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
^Eggs, pears, bananas, apples and potatoes are some of the least nutritious natural ingredients. Mostly unhealthy sugars and fats.

Local time
-->
I couldn't find any other place to post this, and didn't want to start a thread for a handful of images. Found a cool site debunking "chemophobia" and the crowd that appeals to nature.

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/tag/chemophobia/
http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/making-sense-of-chemical-stories.html

i find the implicit message that food is comprised of (naturally occurring) chemicals therefore all chemicals are safe for human consumption rather suspect.

interestingly, the funding page of the second link lists entities with financial interests in promoting the idea that food additives/chemicals in general are safe, such as the society of chemical industry, UK cleaning products industry association (UKCPI) and coca-cola.

it may be true that much ignorant hysteria surrounds concerns about the safety of food additives but that doesn't mean all those concerns are unfounded. many studies on food dyes link various adverse health effects with their consumption.

most worryingly, in the majority of cases there is little or no information available - "A chemical additive is safe only if there is reasonable certainty in the minds of competent scientists that the substance is not harmful under the intended conditions of use. With almost two-thirds of chemical additives lacking feeding toxicology and 78.4% of additives directly added to food lacking data to estimate a safe level of exposure and 93% lacking reproductive or development toxicity testing, it is problematic to assert that we know with reasonable certainty that all chemical additives are safe." source

the cumulative and combined effects are anybody's guess.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
^Eggs, pears, bananas, apples and potatoes are some of the least nutritious natural ingredients. Mostly unhealthy sugars and fats.

where'd you get this from?

sure there are better things to eat. apples are a joke in comparison to some anti-oxidant and vitamin powerhouses. but none of the mentioned foodstuffs are consumed at a problematic level. looking at what the human total population should cut down on from a nutrition POV, it's not fruits, nor eggs, nor potatoes. it's refined starches (bread), certain oils (high poly-unsaturated vegetable oils, grain oils especially; fried stuff), red meat, and refined sugar. those are addictive products. apples and potatoes are just food. perhaps not advisible to purchase for someone on a strict budget, but perfectly viable food to be included in the creative scope of cooking.

pear even has a special function: laxative effects. and you can make a delicious snot-like slime with potatoes by coagulating their protein.

all in all it makes little sense to me to portray these produce as problematic. i just want to understand what relevance you aimed at, i suppose.

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
“She is delightfully chaotic; a beautiful mess. Loving her is a splendid adventure.” - Steve Maraboli

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
but none of the mentioned foodstuffs are consumed at a problematic level.
I didn't take the global perspective, personally I wouldn't eat apples or pears, because they are similar to refined sugars, mostly carbs (fructose vs sucrose= double glucose, while glucose=fructose pretty much) Also I can't stand the sound of cutting or eating apples, I can do it but I don't like it.
looking at what the human total population should cut down on from a nutrition POV, it's not fruits, nor eggs, nor potatoes. it's refined starches (bread), certain oils (high poly-unsaturated vegetable oils, grain oils especially; fried stuff), red meat, and refined sugar. those are addictive products.
Agreed, I find myself being high on sugars way too often, need to change that.
apples and potatoes are just food. perhaps not advisible to purchase for someone on a strict budget, but perfectly viable food to be included in the creative scope of cooking.
For me apples and oranges are pure marketing, way to advertise carbohydrates as something useful. I don't buy into the excessive vitamin C being any useful to people, and aside for apple acid it really isn't much on its own.

True, potatoes are important, cheap and fill the role better.

All in all maybe it was my wording that was confusing or not sure, but I agree with your comment here. :confused: :p

dark+matters

Local time
-->
The iguana is beginning to like me. This is strangely satisfying. I'm surprised at how intelligent she appears. When we say her name, she turns her head. She doesn't turn her head when we don't use her name and use the "iguana" tone of voice. She recognizes each of us as separate beings with separate intentions. I wouldn't have thought she would use her tongue the way a snake does too.

But I was surprised to find the snakes could differentiate between people too. She struck at strangers, but never me, all the way from neonate to breeding sized adult. Their body language had a little something to do with that, but snakes don't see very well. Scent? I thought it might be motion, but these pythons don't care how well supported they are or how jerky our movements are.

Are iguanas social animals? Are cats? Why? Why do some fish enjoy being petted and some cats don't?

What is the point of arguing? What is the point of being friends? Why can't we understand much of anything? Why is there so much knowledge in the world and still, most of us can't or don't put together the same pieces? Why am I amazed when someone is wrong? I've been wrong so many times, and I will continue to be- always.

What was up with chapter 5? I wish I could contact the author.

If I feel tenderness toward someone, and that person then shocks me with their beliefs, what should my response be? When is it best to let something go?

"White idiots." Heh. That is awesomely funny. I laughed out loud. I have never heard anyone describe those things like that, but it's great. If it became popular though, I'd probably put my hands on my hips and say, "It wasn't THAT funny."

How did this person think up this sketch? It's nicely shot. I want to narrate my pets' lives too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_fUsssnHPw&index=5&list=PLBFF9C8FDCA022547

serenesam

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Isn't it odd that we only ever get to see one face of the moon...

The odds of that are quite small.... It's almost as though by design..

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 11:39 PM
-->
It's not small odds. The majority of satellites are tidally locked to the planets they orbit and if they aren't, it's only a matter of time.

Thought: donuts remind me cats.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
I read differently before...
How on earth do donuts remind you of cats?! Lol.

ETA: I went back to the place I read that, and it was more in the context of 'wow, the chances of the conditions for that and the whole of life are amazing'.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I wonder how old I am in waking hours.

StevenM

beep
Local time
-->
You could eat to live, or you could live to eat.

Also, he may not have said cats reminded him of donuts, even if he ordered the cats to remind him later.

Also, Fi can be I like x, y and z. The rest of the alphabet can go to hell.

Also, why do you wonder how old you are when awake?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Also, why do you wonder how old you are when awake?

Oh because you know how our conscious only takes in memory from when we're awake right? I just wonder how long that's been. Like if I subtract all the sleep I had from my age right now, I wonder how much that would be in years. I've been wondering about this for a long time actually, it didn't just pop up today :D

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
i've had a foreign object stuck in my throat (or even worse some kind of complex back tension that results in such a sensation) for 3.5 years and it makes me give even less of a fuck about anything and be constantly annoyed. :) i thought having sebaceous lumps along the fucking spine was the worst but this surpasses it by far. please uploading come

sleep is the only worthwhile bizniz

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:39 AM
-->
^ I had that for two years. Then two people died and it went away :confused:

Top Bottom