• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Thank You

LucasM

Local time
Yesterday 9:03 PM
-->
Just to say Thank You for your interesting conversations.
Ever since discovering formally that I was an INTP, this forum has helped to 'define' what being INTP is all about. Issues that I have that I didn't know about in a forefront sort of way and thus, with the knowledge, the ability to take it all in account when I make decisions. Plus, the understanding that is here. And the understanding I get when I view others. People with lives and feelings but expressed in totally different ways. Of course, I knew this all already, but the understanding has helped to accelerate the growth process. One year ago, I wouldn't be me today. One year in the future and who will I be?
Thus, you get a hug, quickly.

geh

*ignore bad grammar. I hate grammar. Plus how do you use the semicolon?

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Yesterday 8:03 PM
-->

GarmGarf

Local time
Today 4:03 AM
-->
Plus how do you use the semicolon?

Semicolons represent pauses slightly longer than commas (but not as long as periods). They are also great to use when listing things. Examples of their use are:

"French class is so boring; I always fall asleep!"

"When I go to the shop, I shall get: bread and milk; candy; soda; paper and pens; and gum."

Luzian

Local time
Yesterday 11:03 PM
-->
Semicolons represent pauses slightly longer than commas (but not as long as periods).
Really? because I tend to pause however I please.

I do not like English teachers who tell you what you should probably write in a situation where most people would probably understand, instead of teaching logically.

For those not in the loop, English has rules, though with lots of silly exceptions. Otherwise, I have warrant to write semicolons as I please, and be correct.

I don't mean to sound as I am snapping at you. I just really don't like that way of teaching.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Semicolons represent pauses slightly longer than commas (but not as long as periods).

No they don't. You're thinking of em dashes. Semicolons connect sentences without requiring a conjunction.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 1:03 PM
-->
Semicolons are used to link two full sentences together, or to separate complex items in a list.

I would also like to thank this forum, just for being here when I needed it. It has helped me more than anyone would realise.

GarmGarf

Local time
Today 4:03 AM
-->
Really? because I tend to pause however I please.

I do not like English teachers who tell you what you should probably write in a situation where most people would probably understand, instead of teaching logically.

For those not in the loop, English has rules, though with lots of silly exceptions. Otherwise, I have warrant to write semicolons as I please, and be correct.

I don't mean to sound as I am snapping at you. I just really don't like that way of teaching.

Lol. You sure are an ass hole. ^_^

Sorry for trying to help out.

I guess I described a consequence of their application. In the future, I guess I'll just link to Wikipedia or something.

How you guys described how to use semicolons is how I've been using them, but they come so naturally to me that I don't have to actively think what they are for I guess.

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Today 5:03 AM
-->
I think that's why we all are here (to the original topic) ;) (Though could be that some here only follow their killing lust...:D:D)

Ogion

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Yay! Thanks accepted and I thank everyone in return! (Civilianjones, you're awesome too!) ^^

A semicolon is used to connect two independent clauses. For it to be correct, you should be able to replace the semicolon with a full stop and have two grammatically complete sentences.

Example: Mrs. Jones's dog is huge; he scares me a little.

Ideally, the semicolon implies a connection, however tenuous, between the two clauses. Here you can see that the dog scares me because he is huge. (I would actually love such a dog if I saw him...beside the point.) Separating items in a list is a good use too, especially where the list has commas or conjunctions in it, or follows a colon. A colon is used with two independent clauses, where one illustrates or explains the other. Or to introduce a list.

Four semicolons to one colon is not a rule to be followed.

Most of those contradictions (fun fact!) arose because English is a Germanic lanugage. However, when its grammatical system was created and introduced, Latin was the supposed 'learned-man's-language', so we speak a Germanic language with Latin rules. Which are often-- yes-- silly.

Top Bottom