• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Random laughing

Andy

Local time
Today 7:33 PM
-->
I am usually quite detached and unemotional, I rarely laugh when I watch comedies. But sometimes I burst into hysterical laughter at the most inappropriate and weird moments. My friend said "The wind is warm today."
and I couldn't stop laughing, no idea why. Or when we were watching a documentary in school about how little children experience war, I just couldn't help it :slashnew: . I am afraid of going to funerals because of this. It's not like I am thinking HAHAHA FUCKER GOT WHAT HE DESERVED, my brain just thinks it's funny for some reason.
I think this is the most hilarious film ever made. YouTube- feed me a stray cat

Any diagnosis?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 11:33 AM
-->
Any diagnosis?
Besides having a stimulated Ne? Not really.

I do the same thing, only I know exactly why I am laughing, the trouble is explaining it to others. It's funny how people around me always think it is them I am laughing at, and kind of surprising that random laughing at things in mind is not more common than it is.

I actually make a lot of different facial expressions based on what I am thinking about. Just yesterday I rolled my eyes based on a situation I thought about, that had nothing to do with what was going on in the outside world, and my professor saw and yelled at at me: "Oh, you think you can do a better job teaching the class!?"

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Being insensitive is really quite useful for me. Most women find it creepy, but it gives me a strange sense of humor.

Loved the clip BTW.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 8:33 PM
-->
Haha, I do that facial expression- thing too, Adymus.

About funerals and other inappropriate situations; some people do laugh in those situations due to stress. That part shouldn't worry you too much. Though, I guess some people don't know this and will just think you are being an ass.

Andy

Local time
-->
I am very good at being calm so I think stress is not the case, though it may be my bottled up emotions exploding.Now that I think about it the situations in which I suddenly LOL are often ridiculous in some way - Ok the wind is warm today, how am I supposed to respond to that and who gives a fuck really? - and my intuition simply realizes this sooner than my T.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I was thinking mainly of funerals when I wrote that :)

Andy

Local time
-->
I was thinking mainly of funerals when I wrote that :)

Ah yeah I had to read that one again, it was lost in translation the first time (I wish nationalism wouldn't exist and people decided to speak one universal language, though the chances are just slightly higher than The Second Coming of Jesus).

Glad you liked the clip RubberDucky, the movie is American Psycho and I recommend it to everyone I meet. Brilliant satire and Bale's best performance to date.I can actually relate to the character in some ways (especially depersonalization and trying to fit in a world you don't belong to). I am not chasing whores with a chainsaw yet, but for that case I have all the character's lines already memorized. :cool:

Now if you will excuse me, I have to return some videotapes.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
I never laugh at the "right" time, and to most people I think my laughter is considered random. Most of it has to do with how ridiculous I find the lives of most people - that they're all so f'in busy, but never seem to get anything done. I've had girls get very pissed at me more than once for laughing at them when they show up decked out in the latest fashion - busy busy busy keeping up with something that's going to change in a month if it hasn't already. That's the core of it for me at least.. I think.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Shock, fright and humour are all the same to your brain. They're types of shock.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Any diagnosis?

American Psycho is awesome. An INTJ friend and I watched that movie in a film class one time and horrified our fellow classmates by laughing our asses off the whole time. People actually got offended.

"Ummm...do any of you really take this seriously? I mean he's running down a hallway in a high-rise apartment naked, covered in blood, and laughing maniacally while weilding a chainsaw...and you think I'm weird for laughing?"

I tend to laugh at people a lot because they make funny little facial expressions while they are explaining a problem to me and they get offended that I laughed. I find myself explaining that I'm not laughing at them a lot. Whether or not I actually AM laughing at them is irrelevant :D

CodeOmega0

Local time
Today 1:33 PM
-->
My mom was crying one day after lunch, and I asked her what was wrong. She said that one of her friend's kids [who had a terminal illness] had died. All I could think about was the joke, "I'm sorry means the same as I apologize... except at a funeral." I did my best to not bust out laughing as she's standing there crying. Luckily, my brother was there to comfort her, as I just stood back, looking [what I hoped was] remorseful.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
Today 2:33 PM
-->
I'm always laughing at something. Otherwise, I might cry, and we wouldn't want that. In fact, it does seem that there are certain times when you basically have to choose between laughter and crying, because you're pretty much going to do one or the other. I often describe those times as "emotional crossroads" because they seem to be pretty momentus in determining my emotional state for the near future.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Laughing at the wrong time or while nothing is going on is evidence of a rich and possibly sinister inner life.

I had a nutcase character in one of my books do that. It was a lot of fun.

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
-->
I frequently laugh at nothing. I laugh when being punished. I laugh when being accused of lying when I'm not lying. I laugh at random unrelated things. Surreal humor is sometimes funny. I often laugh at situations that are so unfunny, that it is funny. Intentionally fake characters that have the appearance of real arrogance is very funny.

Interestingly I don't laugh as a social communication. I don't laugh just because it's expected of me. I don't laugh when I really am lying, which is actually very rare. I don't laugh at Dane Cook.

When I was younger I would start laughing and then anything any one would say to me would get me to laugh. They would say underwear, and I would go into fits of laughter.

I have on multiple occasions laughed so hard I hurled... at seemingly nothing.

I started laughing at a mere thought of someone creepily walking up to someone at McDonalds and whispering in their ear... "I'm ordering a Big Mac."

...etc.

I'm probably insane...

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Tomorrow 2:33 AM
-->
I have cultivated an evil laugh just for this sort of purpose.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:33 PM
-->
I laugh at inappropriate times as well... and I laugh harder at the dumbest, lamest jokes. The horror movie thing usually gets me laughing too. Any kind of maniacal scene usually results in laughter. Whats really bad is when I break out laughing when nothing at all is going on. Generally, I find it hard to explain my laughter because it is the result of some pretty strange lines of thought.

I have a joke... it gets me every time.

Why did the girl fall out of the swing?
Because she had no arms!

Zaij

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 5:33 AM
-->
I've laughed when sitting on the train just because I was thinking something funny. People looked at me in a weird way. I stopped laughing.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I frequently laugh at nothing. I laugh when being punished. I laugh when being accused of lying when I'm not lying. I laugh at random unrelated things. Surreal humor is sometimes funny. I often laugh at situations that are so unfunny, that it is funny. Intentionally fake characters that have the appearance of real arrogance is very funny.

Interestingly I don't laugh as a social communication. I don't laugh just because it's expected of me. I don't laugh when I really am lying, which is actually very rare. I don't laugh at Dane Cook.

When I was younger I would start laughing and then anything any one would say to me would get me to laugh. They would say underwear, and I would go into fits of laughter.

I have on multiple occasions laughed so hard I hurled... at seemingly nothing.

I started laughing at a mere thought of someone creepily walking up to someone at McDonalds and whispering in their ear... "I'm ordering a Big Mac."

...etc.

I'm probably insane...

Strange, i do the same when I'm not lying. They'll say "If your not lying why are you laughing?" I really have no idea actually.

ohrtonz

Local time
-->
This one time we overheard this guy talking and he said "So what do you think about *AH COUGH COUGH COUGH...." then he continued his sentence. Not laughing at his cough but because it seemed as though he was asking what you thought about his cough but instead of saying "my cough" just demonstrated. Thinking about it now reminds me of Stewart from Mad TV "look what I can do" *jump*. Anyways I was smiling and my friend said to me "you want to go somewhere else?" we got up and walked away so we could laugh.

phantasia

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My humour is completely indefinable. That is, I have yet to find a pattern of what makes me laugh. Comedies? Rarely, but they entertain me a lot though. It happens a lot that I start laughing at random stuff. It's pretty mysterious :P

EditorOne said:
Laughing at the wrong time or while nothing is going on is evidence of a rich and possibly sinister inner life.
I like this explanation though :)

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
When other's see me laughing for no reason, they ask "why so serious". i say Wanna know how I got these scars? My father was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one night he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious, son?" Comes at me with the knife... "Why so serious?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face!" And...

sorry just had to say it.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 2:33 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I got this a lot. It is not really random from my point of view, as I was always thinking about something funny at that time. But for other people it is random.
Worst one and also the one I remember most:
I was at my grandfather's funeral. I was faking to cry, and the ritual is just too long. And then I started to think about how funny the redundancy the ritual can be, yet it stayed on for centuries. That's when I burst out laughing.
Needless to say, I can see people looking at me offended. So with some quick thinking I fake a hysteria, then pretend to have gone crazy out of sorrow, and demostrate it by attacking everyone. People tied me up and exorcise me. I keep laughing the whole time, both to make the act convincing and because the exorcise ritual is just so funny.:evil:

INTPINFP

Local time
-->
Yeah...........................................................

well,

i usually am bored shitless when it happens. people around me ask "whats so funny." I guess most people's imagination is so dull that they can't laugh at anything without some sort of external stimuli. I do find death and dying, laugh out loud hilarious, but the actual concept of death not so much.

kubikub

Local time
-->
I actually make a lot of different facial expressions based on what I am thinking about.

I've been there before... haha. I tend to stage conversations and interactions with people inside my head, and it's while I'm doing this especially that the facial expressions come out.

I do get random laughter quite often. It happens a lot of times in movies-- I'll be watching a scene and my mind wanders off on a random mental tangent and I picture something completely uncharacteristic happen and just start loling. If I'm by myself, whatever, I could care less if strangers have no idea what I'm laughing at. But usually my friends will ask what the hell I find so funny and it's usually hard to explain, "Well, I just imagined as they were backing out of their driveway if they kept going in reverse until they smashed into their neighbors house... etc etc"

jsibley1

Local time
-->
I randomly burst into laughter when nothing is going on. I'll walk to my truck and randomly start laughing about something I thought up. It's not that I'm telling myself a joke or remembering a funny scene, but most of the time it's because I make the oddest connection between two seemingly unrelated things.

I've even read math books and started laughing. Weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhVhcNTT5GQ
For example, the first time I watched this video, I burst into a hysterical laughter at 0:23. I thought my mom would find it funny but all I did was shock her into never trusting me with random Youtube videos.

All I could think about was the joke, "I'm sorry means the same as I apologize... except at a funeral."

LOL... I love it.

Cassandra

I laugh at the "wrong" times for the "wrong" things too.

Social ineptitude + black humor + overactive imagination = random laughter

Anyone else laugh when they see anything they didn't expect? I do. The happy kind of laugh...I did that on an AP test when I saw the one essay question I didn't expect, but was prepared for, and I just had to laugh. They said I was crazy...

I also laughed for a solid 5 minutes when I was bored, standing at the top of a tall stair case, and I threw a marble off, and it bounced on every step on the way down until I couldn't see it any more...then someone further down on the stairs saw it plinking its way down, stopped, and muttered: "hmm...unusual" and then kept going. I really don't know why.

:storks: <--This thing makes me laugh excessivly as well.

Rhys

Local time
-->
I do this a bit, generally at alot of Youtube videos. Being an avid internet lurker I easily see how things could be funny to other internet users. I also do it upon being wrongly accused. Recently a friend of mine took the teachers pencil case and put in on my table (and somehow, probably because I was tired and don't have a pencil case) I didn't notice it on my desk. The teacher returns from her absence and sees that I have the pencil case, she starts yelling at me and telling me it's theft to do things like that. Simultaneously I'm laughing hysterically and trying to tell her I didn't do it. The two don't go well together, I found.

Belph

Local time
Today 9:33 PM
-->
A god friend of mine told me her sister was dying i started to lol.
Because she has some weird rare thingie and i just thought how exiting that would be if i were her doctor and suddenly i felt really energized. So i lolled.

Rhys

Local time
-->
A god friend of mine told me her sister was dying i started to lol.
Because she has some weird rare thingie and i just thought how exiting that would be if i were her doctor and suddenly i felt really energized. So i lolled.

Lol, that's horrible. :)

Belph

Local time
-->
I apologized after, does it count?:slashnew:

ohrtonz

Local time
-->
..then someone further down on the stairs saw it plinking its way down, stopped, and muttered: "hmm...unusual" and then kept going. I really don't know why.

Just reading this made me laugh. It's that disconnection between the truth and the observation of the other person, and knowing it was you. You would expect "hey is this yours?" but know, he/she was too far away to notice the source of marble. You made someone "wtf?". This is the kind of stuff I would laugh about making happen and what kind of reaction it might cause, but never talking about it or doing it, just start laughing.

Rhys

Local time
-->
For some reason I have a really good habit of remembering really good jokes in really crowded places.

Like exam halls. :confused:

Belph

Local time
-->
I guess. If I was that friend I would probably have kicked you. Heh.
Yeah if i were my friend i'd kick me too.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
I am being a bit of a necromancer here but I was walking down the road and there is this tough gangsta like guy and he is swaggering down the road towards me and I couldn't help smiling. Then he gives me a look like "I am going to kill you" and I almost cracked up. So he looked at me a little strange but probably though I was insane so he left me alone.

Then same day I was on the train going home and I look over and there is someone who looks all the world like tom crusie and for 1 hour I couldn't look at him for more that 2 seconds or I would burst out laughing and I got it into my head that I should see how long I could look at him for without cracking up... I got some strange looks.

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
-->
Hahaha. Yeah, I definitely have this issue. More often than not something will catch my Ne just enough to remind me of something in the past that will just send me into a smiling/laughing fit.

I play a decent amount of chess (well, used to...trying to get back into it). It's especially awkward when you have complete silence at a chess board and start smiling/giggling. It's also rude. Uhg. At least I have pretty decent control of such things, and contain it to a large smile and silent giggle :p.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Yeah the chess thing or other board games scare the other people especially if there is money on the line.:D

chuhulil

Local time
-->
Yup. I tend to start laughing a lot at the most random and weird things.

chuhulil

Local time
-->
Like the fact that this girl dropped a jar of markers in the sink in the middle of Science class.

JimHawkins

Local time
-->
One very special moment in particular - amongst a hundred others. I was pottering around campus and attended a free talk entitled, “How can a good God allow suffering?” Maybe I’d learn something new. I set myself up in a place whereby I wouldn’t be bothered by anyone evangelising and waited. It began, and he said there was video.

“Huh? Where? I don’t see a screen? How the hell is he going to show this without a-“
I was sitting right in front it. I had been seen. *facepalm*

So with the crowd’s attention burning into the back of my head, my eyes were force-fed image upon image of starving children. To highlight the discrepancy with our materialistic culture, Simon Cowell was making an African charity appeal. I was highly displeased.

He entered a mud hut and was met with a crowd of children. The oldest boy, carrying a newborn, was showing him around their home. Simon Cowell – having registered his disgust at the squalor in an aside – kneeled, and asked the child, “I don't see any adults - where are your parents?”

“They’re dead.”

LOL.

I snorted – this was too ridiculous; in hysterics right underneath the screen, it took me far too long to contain myself. And when my awareness finally caught up with me, I was curious enough to see if anyone had noticed...

All of them.

It seems publically laughing at dying African orphans is deemed callous and inappropriate.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
-->
I laugh maniacally at random times due to thinking about situations from days ago. Obviously, people think I'm insane.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I have to say one of my worst moments was in 12th grade Physics. We were reading as a group and the reader came upon the words 'perturbation' and 'Uranus'. I burst out laughing, then I realized no one else laughed..my shame seemed to last an eternity. The girl next to me even called me weird. :phear:

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
-->
I have to say one of my worst moments was in 12th grade Physics. We were reading as a group and the reader came upon the words 'perturbation' and 'Uranus'. I burst out laughing, then I realized no one else laughed..my shame seemed to last an eternity. The girl next to me even called me weird. :phear:

Has anyone ever told you that you're weird?

:ninjahide:

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Directly? Rarely. Implicitly? All the time.

Dansk

Local time
Tomorrow 3:33 AM
-->
So far I haven't seen anything I would call an unusual sense of humour in this thread. In fact, since everyone who's responded so far seems to enjoy precisely the same kind of humour, I'd say it's perfectly normal.

Coolydudey60

Banned
Local time
-->
I do this so much... Most of the time in wont laugh, but sometimes I'll break into hysterical laughter for minutes on end. And cause you are laughing so much you laugh more and so on... It reallynis funny.

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 3:33 PM
-->
I can recall a day where me and a friend remembered of an old classmate of ours. He didn't have one of the hands, instead, had a stump near his left elbow.

I couldn't help but imagine him playing any card game. If his opening hand was not good, he couldn't ask for other, since he hadn't another hand. Then i started laughing, and that friend asked me why. I felt a bit bad by saying the reason.

Another ocasion was when i was a seeing a movie, and in the ending, the movie was telling the whereabouts of every character. Everyone in the movie was a child , and the movie usually said something in the lines of "He married, had two childs, now live in the suburbs", for instance. All characters usually displayed a serious expression.

Then, they showed one of the kids happily playing, and the movie said: "He died during a robbery and none of his friends showed up at his funneral.". My friends were all nearly sobbing, but I suddenly bursted in to laughter.

That was heavily frowned upon, but i found the irony funny.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
ahh what movie? I think I might have seen part of it.

Top Bottom