• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

let's talk about beer!

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
Today 11:20 PM
-->
i hate beer. it tastes like piss, unless you're drunk, in which case, it tastes like piss water. but sometimes i'm downtown and i find myself short on monies, and unfortunately, tasty drinks and liquor are expensive. so i buy beer.

when this happens to you, what kind of beer do you purchase?

i am fortunate enough to live in die mutterland, so i will buy my city's beer. wulle bier. has a nifty little pop cap thing and while it tastes like shit, it also tastes like stuttgart. however, i'll still order a hefeweiss if they have it before wulle bier. once again, wulle bier tastes like shit, and hefeweiss has this strangely pleasant banana-like aftertaste that i enjoy. i hear it's a lady's beer, which is okay, because i'm a lady.

i find that the buzz i get from drinking beer is often more muddled and drowsy than the buzz i would get from vodka or tequila (generally my first two picks). does anyone else have this experience? my friend theorizes that it's because, when you shake a beer, it'll fizz up and explode everywhere. so when you drink a beer and then move around, it'll fizz up in your stomach, and then you'll explode everywhere. makes sense, right? i don't know, i was drunk when he told me that, so it made sense at the time.

anyway. beer related discussions may take place here. to be honest i don't even like being drunk in the general sense at all, but alas, it is a fact of life.

7even

Local time
Tomorrow 12:20 AM
-->
I agree with you, beer is fucking disgusting. Very rarely will it taste good to me, but sometimes, when it's real cold (how it should be) ... I can, more or less, enjoy it...

Being drunk is fun. Love it's effects.

Although, I'm trying to quit drinking beer. Beer causes feminization (no thank you!).

Beer doesn't even give me a buzz, takes fucking time, and by then, I'm bloated by the amount of piss I've drank. No, your friends theory is way off. Beer fizzes up and explodes for a reason, trapped carbon dioxide. That gets released once you open the cap, and once it's in your stomach hits that gastric acid, exploding is certainly not going to happen; but you were drunk, so that's funny haha.

I just stick to a flask of whiskey, vodka, or tequila, hard liquor I like. Doesn't taste as terrible as beer, and there's actually a sensible amount of alcohol...

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 10:20 PM
-->
You're all hopeless! Trust a German!

Pah!

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
Today 3:20 PM
-->
I love beer.

I like a good rich Porter or a Stout the best, or a nice IPA with a strong bite.

Learning to brew my own beer is something I will do someday.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Beer is delicious. I like them all : D

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:20 AM
-->
beer tastes like cow poop

KMaki

Red***r*
Local time
Tomorrow 1:20 AM
-->
I've recently taken into beer tasting. Systematic.
Beer has always been my drink of choice, but it took more than ten years to actually go for savouring the taste. Could be the fact that I used to buy beer by judging how much alcohol was in it, and how much it cost, reaching a sort of "cost efficiency factor". So as a result I ended up buying the cheapest stuff available, which most of the time spells piss-in-a-bottle.
I had to quit the beer quaffing scene by the time I started havng these kids around the house. The cost efficiency did not seem that important so I got into buying branda I had not tasted before. The first big revelation was something as simple as Pilsner Urquell. Next big one was Hardcore IPA by BrewDog. Then Nøgne's #500. The latest big revelation was Brooklyn Lager just a few nights back, which just was so good I almost cried. Aaahhhh.
So. I like beer.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
Today 6:20 PM
-->
I love beer.

I like a good rich Porter or a Stout the best, or a nice IPA with a strong bite.

Learning to brew my own beer is something I will do someday.

Yea!! Porters and Stouts good stuff.

I notice you are in the Northwest- how do you like Deschutes? Their porter is my one of my favorites.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
I'm having the hangover for drinking too much beer on the open-bar party yesterday, so atm I hate beer.

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
-->
My dad bought me (???) a 6-pack of Busch today. It's not the worst, just beer. So, pretty close to the worst, but not quite.

I usually go for Stella or Heineken.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Today 5:20 PM
-->
Don't equate Bud, Coors, Busch and Natty with "beer." If you don't like Bud, Coors, Busch or Natty, then it follows that you have taste. It does NOT follow that you do not like beer.

Every city or large town has at least one store where you can buy good beer. It is more expensive than piss water, but less expensive than wine. Try that beer. Then report.

Meer

Jermbl
Local time
-->
Beer isn't all about the taste, also. I used to enjoy hard liquor a lot, but after finding myself in the gutter a few too many mornings, I saw how useful beer was. You know, you don't get too drunk.

I just don't want to become one of those super pretentious microbrewdudes.

Pistoli

run.
Local time
-->
Popeye has his spinach.., INTPs have their beer.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 5:20 AM
-->
Seems like some of you have drank urine and ate manure.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
-->
Some of you are broken. Beer (and by "beer", I mean real, unfiltered beer, not that urine-flavored water that Americans try to pass off as beer) is one of the most fabulous substances humanity has created.

My favorites
Stouts, especially Imperial Stouts- thick, dark, and complex- I especially like the ones with chocolate and coffee undertones. Note: Guinness is the Bud Light of dark beer (it's everywhere, and complete flavorless shit).
Porters- like stouts, but not quite as delicious
Doppelbocks- delicious medium-toned beer, very malty and a little sweet
Hefeweizens- one of the only light-colored beers I enjoy
Belgian Trippels and Dubbels- these tend to be pretty good as well

My all-time favorites:
Dragon's Milk and Night Tripper from New Holland Brewery- until you've tried these, you haven't experienced the majesty of what a stout can be.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Hefeweizens ARE good.

Around here it's super cool and trendy to like dark beers, but they're not my thing.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
Some of you are broken. Beer (and by "beer", I mean real, unfiltered beer, not that urine-flavored water that Americans try to pass off as beer) is one of the most fabulous substances humanity has created.

My favorites
Stouts, especially Imperial Stouts- thick, dark, and complex- I especially like the ones with chocolate and coffee undertones. Note: Guinness is the Bud Light of dark beer (it's everywhere, and complete flavorless shit).
Porters- like stouts, but not quite as delicious
Doppelbocks- delicious medium-toned beer, very malty and a little sweet
Hefeweizens- one of the only light-colored beers I enjoy
Belgian Trippels and Dubbels- these tend to be pretty good as well

My all-time favorites:
Dragon's Milk and Night Tripper from New Holland Brewery- until you've tried these, you haven't experienced the majesty of what a stout can be.

Your list of favorites redeems you of accusing all Americans of thinking piss water is beer.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
Yea!! Porters and Stouts good stuff.

I notice you are in the Northwest- how do you like Deschutes? Their porter is my one of my favorites.

I like Dechutes, but I have been drinking more Rogue and Widmer Brothers recently, as far as local brewers go.

Rogues Dead Guy Ale is my favorite, but I save it for very special occasions. So I only end up having it a couple of times a year.

Dechutes Jubelale is my all time favorite holiday brew.

Amagi82

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Local time
-->
Hefeweizens ARE good.

Around here it's super cool and trendy to like dark beers, but they're not my thing.
It's really trendy to like IPAs around here, and Michigan is really famous for making some good ones, but like you said, not my thing. More bitterness does not make better beer.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

lungs

;lkjk;l
Local time
-->
even "good" beer is just meh, i'd rather have wine or a mixed drink.

Panopticon

mehmber
Local time
-->
I am lucky enough to live by a few microbreweries. Nothing quite like some fresh beer right where it's made. Tastes great, and it takes little to get a buzz going.

I love Hefs, IPA's, stouts, scottish ale, and stuff with weird combos. I had a carrot cake flavored beer during the holidays last year at a brewery which I have been dreaming of ever since. It was amazing.

I really love this stuff....http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers/ales/wells-banana-bread-beer
Just hate overpaying for it.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
It's really trendy to like IPAs around here, and Michigan is really famous for making some good ones, but like you said, not my thing. More bitterness does not make better beer.

Haha I should move to Michigan and be cool.

Actually that is probably one of the most stupidest things I've ever said.

DetachedRetina

(∞__∞)
Local time
-->
Rogues Dead Guy Ale is my favorite, but I save it for very special occasions. So I only end up having it a couple of times a year.

The bar ten steps from my house has it on tap for cheap.

Very tempting to become an alcoholic

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
Real Ale drinker here.
I cringe whenever someone says they don't like beer, because if you look in the right places there is a beer that caters to most conceivable tastes. The most common complaint is that it tastes like piss, but that tends to only be true for cheap and/or mass produced stuff.

Here is something from one of my favourite breweries and my namesake.
beowulf_brewery_wuffa2.jpg

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Wasp

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a serious
Local time
-->
eww tequila is worse. :storks:

You gotta respect a people who made an extreme alcoholic beverage out of a cactus. Oh and tequila rocks by the way, es cosa buena.

Silphiums

I don't think you realize how funny I am
Local time
-->
Reminds me of what is, I believe, a Monty Python classic:
How is American beer like sex in a canoe?

And, btw, I am fortunate to live with an amazing homebrewer (the process for me seems too tedious, although I do supervise and sample freely) and homebrew is the bomb. Just sayin'...

Proletar

Deus Sex Machina
Local time
-->
I'm more of a wine-person myself. You don't have to do the eternity-loop between the sofa and the bathroom, it doesn't get you off your ass way too fast like with hard liqour, and it tastes really good.

noksve

Local time
-->
I find it very disturbing how people can compare drinks to things like pee, shit and cow poop. I have never tasted any of those, so I can't relate.

Regardless, I like beer. I like those that have honey in it, because they are sweet, but after a couple I feel like throwing up. That happens when I eat too much regular honey anyway. And wine is pretty cool. I prefer red wine, because it's made of grapes and I like grapes and berries. On the other hand I don't know what white wine is made of. White grapes?

Dark beer is fine, also, it's more bitter and shit.

Top Bottom