• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

INTPs and Halloween

contra_mundum

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
How many INTPs dress up for Halloween? I never understood the appeal. You dress up, go to a party, socialize, get drunk. Is that it? The last time I dressed up for Halloween I was a little kid going trick-or-treating. I don't get why everyone else is so excited for it. What am I missing?

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
Well, I don't believe you are missing much if your only option is to get dressed up, get drunk, and wake up feeling like 3 day old dog poop on the sidewalk that has been roasted in the summer heat until crispy. However, if your option is create mayhem and terror, then it may be kind of fun. ;)

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
How many INTPs dress up for Halloween? I never understood the appeal. You dress up, go to a party, socialize, get drunk. Is that it? The last time I dressed up for Halloween I was a little kid going trick-or-treating. I don't get why everyone else is so excited for it. What am I missing?
You're writing in a condescending way. I propose that you don't understand how much alcohol helps INTPs enjoy socializing.

I know we can seemingly put Halloween into that societal equation: (costumes + party + drunk + socialize), but think about the implications! It's one night where everyone can dress up as whatever, be goofy about it, and there's no backlash about it! The extroverts can be intimidating, but halloween seems like a totally INTP-compatible holiday.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I love Halloween. I don't go to bars, but costumes can be fun. One Halloween in college, I dressed in something a little "hot" and while it was modest enough, I was in one of the prettiest, sparkliest costumes that night, with two men competing for a chance to dance with me. It was wonderful. (I married one of them, too.)

I loved dressing in a costume at work, except for the one time I forgot it was the same day as my annual review. Word to the wise: don't wear a costume to your annual review.

I have worn Halloween costumes to horror movies, the beach, and the library. It is creative and fun and doesn't have to involve being drunk at all. I, too, think it is an INTP-compatible holiday.

severus

Local time
-->
The closest I get to celebrating Halloween is watching Sweeney Todd.

So... yeah.

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
Isn't everyday Halloween for the INTP, you know with all the masks we wear?

subterralien

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
you guys make me feel like I'm weird for having friends/going out while being an INTP.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a direct correlation.

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 9:24 PM
-->
you guys make me feel like I'm weird for having friends/going out while being an INTP.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a direct correlation.

wait! you have friends? are you sure your one of us? JK. hope you had fun last night.

as started in another thread, Halloween is my favorite holiday! yay!

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
Today 5:24 PM
-->
I didn't dress up... I saw Zombieland.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
I hate those fucking kids asking for candy all night long. GTFO!

Re. dressing up and getting drunk. Well I can definitely see the appeal. It is the day when people purposefully loose their inhibitions under the cover of their disguise. RT says goofy, but I see more horny than goofy. Women wear skimpy, naughty outfits that they wouldn't ever wear on any other occasion. Which is good, of course. But I personally just have no interest in that whole clubbing thing.... so no.

SO why dress up in some lame, shitty costume? Theres no reason for me.
Also this:
Isn't everyday Halloween for the INTP, you know with all the masks we wear?

Now, if instead of the lame candy giving and costumes we celebrated a REAL pagan ritual like saturnalia or bacchanalias... I'd be so into that :p Or maybe we should just create new things to celebrate, just because. Why must we always follow some old stupid commercialized holidays which hold no relevance today, which we are forced to learned and follow but nobody actually feels with a passion to their original cause?

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
I've forgotten about Halloween for at least the past 6 years. This year I was on a hunting trip, camping in the mountains, and made a trip late at night to town to get some supplies whilst tripping on some mushrooms I'd found during the day. Not knowing it was Halloween and seeing everybody wearing costumes I thought I was having the best trip ever until I finally realized what was going on. I used to dress up in costumes and party, get drunk, etc. Wearing a costume, at least for me, helped relieve some social anxiety, and I generally had a good time. Creating mayhem used to be a common activity for me Halloween or not, but we used to really go crazy on Devil's Night.. a dozen felonies in a night easy.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Tomorrow 12:24 AM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
I sat on top of a tower watching my town. Social event is not my thing. Well, actually I also make a booby trap at my door to scare people.
Halloween is not really a big social event at my place though.

Cassandra

I dressed up as Jimmy (James) Madison.

But just spent my time bothering people about the Constitution...you know, to stay in character. I didn't go anywhere except to school.

I didn't dress up... I saw Zombieland.

I saw Zombieland too (on a different day)...the "rules" thing was the best part. I usually dislike zombie movies, but this was good.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
Today 5:24 PM
-->
Really? I didn't like it that much. I thought it would be straight through and through comedy and more zombie killing. It kind of lulled for a while.

Well, I also didn't care for Inglorious Bastards or whatever it was called. Everyone else seemed to swear by it.

I don't trust my sense of humor on movies anymore. The last thing I found funny was Talladega Nights.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
"Isn't everyday Halloween for the INTP, you know with all the masks we wear?"

Bingo.

We made Halloween into a big deal at the office this year to "mask" the fact we're all miserable because of the economy. Turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun. I shaved the beard, died the hair, bought some 90 weight and slicked back the hair into a ducktail, and spent the day as one of my 1950s heros, a Typical Greaser. Got to say "Huh?" and "Whuh?" in response to all questions, sneered at everyone, and generally had a fine time.

Then I found out it wasn't "rinse" in my hair, but permanent dye. Annoyed for a moment, then reaffirmed my INTPness by telling myself "Hey, if you don't care what people think, dude, you DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK!" Felt better immediately.

Top Bottom