• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How do you guys pay for college?

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 9:19 AM
-->
How do you guys pay for college?

Latro

Local time
Today 12:19 PM
-->
Half ride scholarship, college fund my dad got together using stock options his company gave him. I'm short about $4000 that I'll be filling in by working (during the semester I work 4 hours a week as a math tutor for $9 an hour, in summer...I dunno).

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:19 AM
-->
What do you mean pay for college? We have HECS over here, which is like a student loan. I guess that's how I pay for college. The cost of living expenses while studying are the bigger concern, however they're covered by welfare for the most part. It's pretty hard to do if living away from home, but if living with family and not paying rent etc it's pretty achievable.

Razare

Local time
-->
Sly, in the states we file a government form and they give you some free money for college. What the free money doesn't cover, we take out a loan for it through the college. The loan payments don't start until after we have earned our degree, and the interest rates on them are low. So while we're in school, we're racking up the debt.

I imagine it's going to work similar in Canada. Every college has financial aid advisers. What you do is go into their office, or schedule an appointment with them, and basically tell them you need to figure out a way to pay for college and you're not sure what your options are.

If there's a way for you to get loans to attend, they'll find it, plus there might be free money available for you.

dents

Local time
-->
During most of my undergrad, the default scholarships almost completely covered me. Had to take out a subsidized loan once or twice though, but those are through the school and guaranteed. I attended a private university, so the cost of attendance was ridiculous, but they offered all kinds of random grants and whatnot to people just coming in. I think by the third year the cost of tuition went above the free money they were giving me, so that's when I checked the "yes" box for a loan. If you go to a state school, freaking forget it. You can probably work at McDonalds and pay for that. A word of warning though: at least in private schools, if you screw up and let your GPA drop too much, you are DICKED. They pull all your funding and you have to get student loans from a bank. A lot of people I know are leaving school with close to $100k debt.

Once you get to graduate school, you can get a T/A or you can join a research project. Both of those pay for tuition and (just barely) rent/food and they are fairly easy to get into. I was a T/A during my first semester of grad school, which I really liked, but it was a lot of work. Then I got pulled into a research project, which was way more laid back and still paid the same. If you want to have any kind of fun at all though, you need to have a part time job. Or save up during summer.

Carnap

Local time
Today 6:19 PM
-->
It's only 500 euros a year in france

but the bastards are putting it up to 2000 next year.

Ulysses

Banned
Local time
Today 5:19 PM
-->
It's only 500 euros a year in france

but the bastards are putting it up to 2000 next year.

The tuition fees in Canada are usually around 10000 dollars, which is around 6500 euros. Fortunately for me, my dad is in a position to pay the tuition fees for both me and my older brother.

The majority of students usually apply for a student loan, though. It's pretty easy to repay once you've graduated.

meshram.alok

Local time
Today 9:49 PM
-->
I got selected into a prestigious university which is government funded. The fees is heavily subsidised, and is paid for by my parents.
Rest of my expenses I got through from a loan.

Sciosa

Redshirt
Local time
-->
By not attending. I have no funds, and cannot obtain enough funds without going into massive debt. I object to the concept of debt. Thus, I do not attend.

I was homeschooled (re: self-taught) for the majority of my life anyway. Nothing has changed.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I delayed payment until the last minute and then the database glitched and said I already paid. :cool:

Who am I to argue with modern technology? :D

Sciosa

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I delayed payment until the last minute and then the database glitched and said I already paid. :cool:

Who am I to argue with modern technology? :D

That's basically how I got out of ever taking a Physical Education course. ...except that the glitch required some... assistance.

Concojones

Local time
Today 6:19 PM
-->
By not attending. I have no funds, and cannot obtain enough funds without going into massive debt. I object to the concept of debt. Thus, I do not attend.

I was homeschooled (re: self-taught) for the majority of my life anyway. Nothing has changed.
If you think you don't want/need college, that's fine. But if you do, why not work to raise the money you need? The easy solution would be debt, but if you don't like debt (neither do I) then just do it the hard way (working).

quitejaded

Local time
-->
Rich parents.

Which isn't that great. I get bitched at and have my college career chosen for me.

If I had to do it all on my own, I would have gone to pharmacy school or whatever job is high paying and doesn't take too long to get, pay off those loans then pursue the education I really want.

Latro

Local time
-->
Rich parents.

Which isn't that great. I get bitched at and have my college career chosen for me. I'd rather learn exactly what I want in college, go to Pharmacy school or something, make fast cash and pay off the loans myself within 2 years.
Then do that. I wouldn't put up with rich parents dictating my life decisions for me to cover $50,000 or so worth of debt. Now, I'd give their advice consideration, and I'd take their money if it was offered without an excess of strings attached...but I definitely major in something I dislike over that amount of money.

Just my two cents.

quitejaded

Local time
-->
Well, I'm not ready to cut my losses. I've almost got 3 degrees here. Which may end up being useless or I might find that I enjoy the work they lead me to. Either way, after I get these 3 degrees under my belt, I'm going to pharmacy school so the rest of my life can be truely mine. I'll have the money and the status to do what I please.

Latro

Local time
-->
Well, I'm not ready to cut my losses. I've almost got 3 degrees here. Which may end up being useless or I might find that I enjoy the work they lead me to. Either way, after I get these 3 degrees under my belt, I'm going to pharmacy school so the rest of my life can be truely mine. I'll have the money and the status to do what I please.
Just curious...how long have you been in university?

Toad

Local time
-->
Wow I can't believe there is still a demand for pharmacists. I remember when I was 14, everybody wanted to be a pharmacist! It was nuts.

quitejaded

Local time
-->
Red Toad, there will ALWAYS be a demand for the health care professionals. And people try to play it down. Saying stuff like "Oh, there's gonna be too many nurses!" as if there is only one specific thing you can do and one specific position you can get when you get a nursing degree.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
My mom's a pharmacist. There IS a demand. @_@

Oh. And scholarship/their money/my money/itty bitty loan potion no. 5.

jarred

Savior of the forum
Local time
-->
The misplaced optimism of poor people paid for my college education.

Seriously.

Houisng/food was paid for by a mix of savings and scholarships.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
I payed for my college by myself.. I worked summers in high-school, and worked full time while attending college.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
HA HA HA! I LOVE FATHER TED!

(know it's off topic but couldn't resist.)

Toad

Local time
-->
I don't want to work while I go to school...I hope I can get a big loan so I don't have to work.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 12:19 AM
-->
Work. Duh.

Lost a scholarship cuz I forgot to apply for renewal (wouldn't have gotten it anyway, GPA sucked).

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
With interest-free loans from the government, which I will repay [for/with] the rest of my life.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 12:19 AM
-->
Jordan~ said:
With interest-free loans from the government, which I will repay [for/with] the rest of my life.
Oh yeah. That too. Forgot.

Top Bottom