• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Do INTP's have "addictive personalities" ?

Anub1s

Tribble
Local time
Today 10:27 AM
-->
I suppose that within that question there are actually two questions and i'd like to add one more:

1. Do you believe that certain personality types or more likely to get addicted (where the definition of addicted is: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma ) to drugs then others?

2. If the answer to 1. was yes, then do you think INTP's are one of those addictive personalities? What other types are?

3. What drugs do you INTP's out there use? What effect does it have on you? Would you recommend a certain drug? why?

systembust

Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
I can't speak for others, but personally, I definitely have an addictive personality. (As a matter of fact, I was just doing some reading on the topic before I spotted this thread.)

If there is an addictive trend among INTPs, I would attribute it to our enhanced level of natural curiosity (we're generally relatively open to trying things that are "bad" for us in the 1st place), and also perhaps to a tendency to want to compensate for the lack of social communion or support that we can sometimes experience with some vice or another.

I have used a number of drugs in the past but only really formed a habit with marijuana and alcohol. It's hard to say whether or not I'd recommend them to others... on one hand I do feel richer in ways and more expansive for many of the experiences I've had on "drugs"; on the other hand they have proven an unnecessary distraction in the pursuit of my goals. All in all, though, I'm really starting to think the cons outweigh the pros in the long term (at least, without an extra-ordinary amount of self-control). I was curious about what these experiences would be like, but I think I'm about ready to close that chapter. Meditation does much better at providing many of the "benefits" I was getting from using substances, plus a lot more, and without the negatives.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 6:27 PM
-->
Speaking for myself here: I often have habits, that may seem like an addiction, usually related to computers. I spend excessive time on the computer to the point where it starts to jeopardize my functionality in society. However, this never lasts particularly long. At some point I waste so much time, that I feel so bad, that I tell myself to never do that again. I then kind of mellow out for a while until I find a new occupation. So I think the chances of me becoming really addicted to the Internet/computer are rather small.

I experienced something similar with alcohol. So far I have only once had the feeling, that I had drunk too much and I wasn't even sick. I just found it extremely uncomfortable to be so uncoordinated. So I don't think there is a danger of me becoming an alcoholic either.

I think INTPs in general might have a tendency to overindulge in one habit, which might have characteristics of an addiction but actually aren't.

I guess an addiction is often an attempt to cope with reality. In that sense, yes, I think introverted types are more prone to turn to drugs when they have problems, than extroverted types.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
1. Do you believe that certain personality types or more likely to get addicted (where the definition of addicted is: the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma ) to drugs then others?

Nah, not really. Every personality type has about equal chances of becoming addicted to something that makes them feel good, especially when they are in a troubled situation, I think.

2. If the answer to 1. was yes, then do you think INTP's are one of those addictive personalities? What other types are?

X

3. What drugs do you INTP's out there use? What effect does it have on you? Would you recommend a certain drug? why?

A little alcohol because parties are stupendously boring without them. I don't really get drunk though. Just that little bit to make me more extroverted and less boring.
I occasionally experiment with cannabis, every experience I've had on it was quite different, so it's the most interesting one probably. The first time I smoked weed I smoked a pure dank joint with just one other friend, and I had a really psychedelic experience. I had very bad depersonalization, my body map was messed up, I couldn't speak, and couldn't even hold a glass of strawberry smoothie. Locked inside my own head, it all felt very empty. The other experiences were a little more stable and comfortable; When I smoke hashish I feel relaxed and as if everything is fine, I don't think too much, I'm just relaxed and bored. I want to sleep basically, and everything looks just a little different although I'm unable to put my finger on it. With weed I feel... just weird, a little nervous, and giggly. At some point everything feels a little unreal, but that fades.
All in all I wouldn't say weed is really enjoyable, (except for hash if I want to sleep really well or so) but more interesting... It's like I haven't really found the essence of it yet.

I would recommend alcohol and weed, simply because I have some experience in those, albeit not that much.
Alcohol is great for introverts at parties. Weed is just... really fascinating.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I was under the impression that "addictive behavior" is how easily you become addicted after experience with addictive substances. Like some have lower tolerance for alcohol, some feel the craving more quickly. It seems a bit odd to me to combine it with, for instance, how open you are, as even though you are open to try something- that doesn't mean you are easily addicted.

?

systembust

Local time
-->
I was under the impression that "addictive behavior" is how easily you become addicted after experience with addictive substances. Like some have lower tolerance for alcohol, some feel the craving more quickly. It seems a bit odd to me to combine it with, for instance, how open you are, as even though you are open to try something- that doesn't mean you are easily addicted.

?

If you never try coke, you'll never get addicted to it. So that is why they go together. Curiosity plays a role. If you do enough of the stuff your body will begin to crave it, doesn't matter what your "tolerance" is. Anyone can become physically addicted. If INTPs are more open than other types to trying addictive substances, then INTPs are relatively more prone to becoming addicted to them.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 9:27 AM
-->
I would say yes INTPs do have addictive personalities. As for what other types have them:

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index....(wiki)#Evolution.E2.80.93Involution_Dichotomy

ENTp ISTj ESFp INFj
ISFp ENFj INTp ESTj

Psychological Level

Evolution–Involution, along with other dichotomies, influences a key parameter of stress in the psyche: Control of asymmetry in the excitatory/inhibitory processes of the nervous system.

Evolutionary types recover more slowly from stress than Involutionary types. Their inhibitory processes are less amenable to conscious control than their excitatory processes, hence their tendency to dwell on personal issues. After being pulled in by any process, they are often unable to get out of it. Which can lead to gambling, drug use, alcoholism, or other vices, even Internet-addiction.

Consequently, susceptibility to conditioning is higher in Evolutionary types than in Involutionary types. Conditioned responses require movement along a single path, without possibility of turning around or deviating from the imposed route. One of the inhibitory mechanisms of conditioning is phobia (obsessive fear). Imagine not being able to rid yourself of thinking you will definitely fall on a slippery road. This is an example of a phobia. And then you actually do end up falling, even if wearing mountain-climbing boots. According to my observations, Involutionary types do not seriously suffer such phobias.

Thus, Involutionary types more rapidly and less painfully get rid of illusions, imposed opinions, suggested thoughts, fanatic states, etc. It is because of Evolution–Involution differences that quadras are split rings of social progress are formed.

Magister

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
I tend to think that different personality would be prone to different sorts of addictions, but I don't really buy the notion of addictive personalities in general.

I personally don't use any drugs. (Well, I sometimes use things for my asthma and eczema, and occasionally something for a headache fever or upset stomach, but I assume you don't mean that kind of thing.) I am 23 years old and have yet to so much as take one sip of alcohol. I've never liked coffee, and I'm not sure I've ever ingested enough caffeine to make a difference.

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
I suppose that within that question there are actually two questions and i'd like to add one more:

To Question 1)
I believe certain people are prone to addiction, But there are many contributing factors:
1) Genetic-are your parents addicted to a substance
2) Enviornment- How stable is your Enviornment. If you are surrounded by traumatic experiences and live in a hostile enviornment, You are statisticly more likely to use drugs and/or alchol to help you cope with the situation you are in. This is usually a coping mechanism that is learned from family or peers.
3) personality- how well are you able to cope with your surroundings?
Drug Use is an avoidance behavior. we use drugs to feel better. It is a form of self medication.

To Question 2)
I think INTP's in some situations are probably prone to drug use. We are emotional avoiders. As for other types I'm not sure. I really believe it is more about the person then about the profile.

To Question 3)
I use xanax for the occasional panic attack and sleeping problems. I really prefer the weed. It slows my mind down. I worry about everything and I have to have a plan for everything and a backup plan for that. Weed mellows me out. It is also non-addictive which means if I want to quit for a while I can with no side effects.I do this occasionally from fear of dependance. I also do not like to loose control so heavy hitting is not my thing. I just need to mellow out as I am a little high strung. I also don't wake up feeling like shit from weed. I hate having an alchol hangover. I do not drink alcohol, my mother is an alcoholic and I am a control freak. Getting totally smashed in any way is somthing I have never been interested in. I can embarrass myself just fine without going and getting shitfaced. I will not do psycadelics(sp) or hallucinagins(sp) I know I do not have the right mindset for theese. I would recommend weed-if you can get a sativa strain they are more cerebral and uplifting- some strains can help you achieve clarity. Try to stay away from the heavy indica strains as they have a tendency to "couchlock" you. Basically you sit on the couch and drool. which is why I dont somke a heavy indica unless I cant sleep.

My best advice for using drugs is this: ALWAYS START WITH A VERY LITTLE, you never know how somthing will affect you, and is is easier to take a little more than to take alot and end up wishing you took less.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Yes, I've suffered with food addictions in the past (partially/mostly due to upbringing I believe), and I have addictions for things which alleviate boredom.

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
Today 1:27 PM
-->
ENTp ISTj ESFp INFj
ISFp ENFj INTp ESTj

Evolutionary types recover more slowly from stress than Involutionary types. Their inhibitory processes are less amenable to conscious control than their excitatory processes, hence their tendency to dwell on personal issues. After being pulled in by any process, they are often unable to get out of it. Which can lead to gambling, drug use, alcoholism, or other vices, even Internet-addiction.

I'm curious, did you find out these types are ''evolutionaries'' by yourself? Just asking because the site doesn't make mbti references. Thanks.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I'm curious, did you find out these types are ''evolutionaries'' by yourself? Just asking because the site doesn't make mbti references. Thanks.

No, I did not correlate these myself. It's standard.

In Socionics:

ENTp/ILE ISTj/LSI ESFp/SEE INFj/EII
ISFp/SEI ENFj/EIE INTp/ILI ESTj/LSE

The last letter is lowercase to distinguish a Socionics reference from an MBTI reference, but the types still carry over, disregarding systematic discrepancies.

PapyrusAirplanes

Solfege Maniac
Local time
-->
Addictive: YES.

However, I'm not interested in being overpowered by alcohol or drugs (mainly because I'm klutzy and out of my mind enough as it is). Addictions range from certain books (Madeleine L'Engle, Harry Potter, etc.) to certain activities (running, knitting, etc.) to certain ideas and philosophies (MBTI, predestination, etc.) to musical artists (Nickel Creek, Billy Joel, etc.) to musical instruments (piano one day, French horn the next, etc.)... et cetera.

But yes. Very addictive.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:27 PM
-->
Addictive nature? Sure, everyone has that. No matter what you do, you'll get "addicted" to it.

But if you specifically meant 'drugs' then I wouldn't know. All I know is that I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't do any 'hard drugs' I drink alot of coke though, but who (that has tasted it, and liked it) doesn't?

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
If there is an addictive trend among INTPs, I would attribute it to our enhanced level of natural curiosity (we're generally relatively open to trying things that are "bad" for us in the 1st place), and also perhaps to a tendency to want to compensate for the lack of social communion or support that we can sometimes experience with some vice or another.
Agreed 100%. We also tend to question authority and establishment so their propaganda about drugs tend to wash over us, if we find a justifiable reason to disbelieve it. (On the other hand, other INTPs find that even a minuscule risk of addiction, psychosis or death is enough to avoid them all together. Which I totally respect.)

If you never try coke, you'll never get addicted to it. So that is why they go together. Curiosity plays a role. If you do enough of the stuff your body will begin to crave it, doesn't matter what your "tolerance" is. Anyone can become physically addicted. If INTPs are more open than other types to trying addictive substances, then INTPs are relatively more prone to becoming addicted to them.
I agree in general about curiosity & INTPs. Great point, I wanted to make it myself.

I've never done coke (and it's something that I never will try) however... I have some anecdotal evidence that says that coke gets boring. Coke is the same kind of high, over and over, it doesn't give variation and insight (or even delusional/false insight) like other drugs do. I think that it can be physically addictive, but it's more likely to afflict Sensors, especially SPs. Or to rephrase my position: SPs are more likely to develop a passion or psychological addiction to coke.

My best advice for using drugs is this: ALWAYS START WITH A VERY LITTLE, you never know how somthing will affect you, and is is easier to take a little more than to take alot and end up wishing you took less.
Great advice.
A friend of mine is going into med school... before they started, he/she wanted to try some drugs. They did coke, and asked me for advice-- I told em that they should go in with a plan, about how much was an acceptable amount to do, and stick to the plan. I heard this advice when my other friend started dabbling with ketamine... definitely good advice.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

I considered that, but it still doesn't seem logical to me. Curiosity has nothing to do with why one get addicted. Addiction is purely in the brain, not in behavior*- meaning what you do has no effect on to what degree you need the drug. It's like saying curiosity makes you a "sailing personality" because you are more inclined to like sailing (because you try it). It's imprecise, illogical.

Ed: It also illustrates another flaw. Curiosity itself isn't enough to try something. How many here has tried sailing?

(*Of course behavior is located in the brain also, but I'm referring to the result of those signals- the external behavior. I'm just saying curiosity isn't linked with the brain's tolerance for drugs. When the stimuli hits, it hits).

systembust

Local time
-->
I've never done coke (and it's something that I never will try) however... I have some anecdotal evidence that says that coke gets boring. Coke is the same kind of high, over and over, it doesn't give variation and insight (or even delusional/false insight) like other drugs do. I think that it can be physically addictive, but it's more likely to afflict Sensors, especially SPs. Or to rephrase my position: SPs are more likely to develop a passion or psychological addiction to coke.

You're right; coke was a lazy example, and isn't particularly suited to the INTP temperament anyways. I just threw up an arbitrary addictive substance for the sake of example, to make a point, but I should've been more careful. :)

I considered that, but it still doesn't seem logical to me. Curiosity has nothing to do with why one get addicted. Addiction is purely in the brain, not in behavior*- meaning what you do has no effect on to what degree you need the drug. It's like saying curiosity makes you a "sailing personality" because you are more inclined to like sailing (because you try it). It's imprecise, illogical.

That's not true in the case of physical dependence. Alcohol, opiates, nicotine and other substances which are physically addictive have a great deal to do with behavior. The more you do & the oftener you do it, the worse your dependence (to varying degrees), and the worse the withdrawal (including death in extreme cases, with alcohol). I've sat through a couple AA meetings myself, and known others who've suffered from physical dependence, so trust me here. :D

It's not "purely in the brain," as you say. The use of these substances causes changes in the nervous system due to repeated exposure.

Anub1s

Tribble
Local time
-->
Wow, i am still new here but man the immense amount of intelligence and productive discussion has blown my mind!

To clarify: When i thought of this question i was foolishly thinking only of drugs, but i do mean all addictions (Food, Internet etc..)

So what i have gathered so far is that certain personality types including the INTP (due to our disregard for the establishment/authority and our natural curiosity) are more likely to experiment with drugs. While whether or not someone becomes addicted to a drug is more relative to a persons background/status/environment then their personality type.

I have experimented with weed and alcohol and i enjoy both, due to both circumstance and personal choice my use of those drugs have been extremely casual. I just started smoking weed a couple months ago and have no idea what i am smoking or how to differentiate between strands/types but i enjoy the relaxed feeling i get, the weight of the world feels lighter and i can laugh with my friends. My first experience with alcohol was a bad one but i am a bit of a heavyweight and i enjoy a couple shots with friends; unfortunately i only feel i can be truly social when i am stumbling around. I love coffee and tea both because of the practical use (caffeine) and the taste.

I think if anything i am in danger of becoming addicted to the internet. Sometimes 30+ plus hours will go by with no sleep all in front of my computer. With the sheer amount of time i spend on my laptop i feel it is the greatest threat to my well being and i am trying to shy away from it and begin reading again. Now that i've found this forum i think i am going to relapse haha.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
-->
Ed: It also illustrates another flaw. Curiosity itself isn't enough to try something. How many here has tried sailing?

I'd say that's not exactly a valid argument. It's also a question of opportunity. If I got the chance I would definitely try sailing, whereas a more cautious or less curious personality would not jump to the opportunity because they are scared or uninterested. And I probably wouldn't have tried weed if I hadn't been in the according situation. I'm also curious about trying other drugs, but not so much that I actively search for an opportunity.

boondockbabe

I am a little cold hearted
Local time
-->
The best advice my mother ever gave me reguarding drugs was this: If you ever take or do somthing and it makes you feel so good that you're not even done yet and you want more. It's the best you ever felt in your life-walk away it will kill you if you keep doing it.

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
The best advice my mother ever gave me reguarding drugs was this: If you ever take or do somthing and it makes you feel so good that you're not even done yet and you want more. It's the best you ever felt in your life-walk away it will kill you if you keep doing it.

I had 6 of these last night. The box that I bought only had 8 of them to begin with.

firecracker.jpg

Is that addictive? :elephant:

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
That's not true in the case of physical dependence. Alcohol, opiates, nicotine and other substances which are physically addictive have a great deal to do with behavior. The more you do & the oftener you do it, the worse your dependence (to varying degrees), and the worse the withdrawal (including death in extreme cases, with alcohol). I've sat through a couple AA meetings myself, and known others who've suffered from physical dependence, so trust me here. :D

It's not "purely in the brain," as you say. The use of these substances causes changes in the nervous system due to repeated exposure.

You are not understanding my argument.

I'd say that's not exactly a valid argument. It's also a question of opportunity. If I got the chance I would definitely try sailing, whereas a more cautious or less curious personality would not jump to the opportunity because they are scared or uninterested. And I probably wouldn't have tried weed if I hadn't been in the according situation. I'm also curious about trying other drugs, but not so much that I actively search for an opportunity.

Then my point still points.

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
The answer to the topic question is yes. People just can't get enough of my INTPness. You could say that my personality is "addictive."

systembust

Local time
-->
You are not understanding my argument.

No offense - but you haven't provided one. You've made some misinformed statements, which I've dispelled twice, and presented a poor analogy.

Introducing physically addictive substances into your body can cause physiological addiction. It's true that a propensity towards physiological addiction can be inherited, but it can also be created, by repeated exposure to certain substances causing changes in one's brain & neurological system. This is based on behaviors, not something inherently peculiar to one brain or another.

Phoenix

purveyer of pondering
Local time
-->

I cant say, as I have not met every example of every personality type.

Alright, here's where I'll show my ass a bit (but only because its the interweb). I have done quite a few less-than-legal substances in my time, and the only result is chaos: Ive been to jail 3 times, have my record stained with a felony, and damn near committed suicide. I have experienced the bad side of life, the wailing of demons and the malevolence of humanity. Drugs are bad, mmkay.

Here is a list:

Weed: smoked an ounce a day for a long time (3 years). It got to the point where I couldn't stand not being high. While not particularly life-ruining in and of itself, it does impair judgement somewhat. Regardless of what one's stance on the whole "gateway drug" cliche is, it does open doors to more drugs. It may not make you run out and start sucking dicks for meth, but it does introduce you to a group of people who sell drugs; a place you never would have been without it.

Coke: never liked it, just made me angry.

'Shrooms (psilocybin): This one's hard... suffice it to say that I saw trees growing at an increased rate, heard the voice of god, and tried to slit my wrists. I don't know why.

LSD: In short, I went on a tour of hell that lasted 3 days, even though I was only under the influence for about 3 hours.

Ecstasy: See LSD... imagine the exact opposite for 4-6 hours or so. That comedown's hell though.

Xanax (bars): I really liked bars... I did them for a while. They had a large impact on my life. Apparently, I was a total dick when barred out, and lost several of my friends. Bars make you not give a shit about anyone or anything, and don't allow you the luxury of memory. I stole, lied, cheated, and was a right asshole for a time.

Many say or think that it's okay; that they can "control" their intake. This is a lie. Learn from my experience; leave the shit alone.

Having said that, I will contradict myself and state that I do enjoy the occasional beer from time to time. Helps me wind down and quit being so introverted in social situations.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
No offense - but you haven't provided one. You've made some misinformed statements, which I've dispelled twice, and presented a poor analogy.

Introducing physically addictive substances into your body can cause physiological addiction. It's true that a propensity towards physiological addiction can be inherited, but it can also be created, by repeated exposure to certain substances causing changes in one's brain & neurological system. This is based on behaviors, not something inherently peculiar to one brain or another.

You haven't grasped my point.

What I am saying is that this reaction to exposure will exist in any whether one is open, closed, curious, indifferent, abused, a criminal etc. Behavior hasn't anything to do with it, because the change will still take place when introduced to the chemical. Behavior does not alter its effect.

I grow indifferent.

IfloatTHRUlife

Local time
-->
Yes i think INTPs have an addictive personality. I would say this on many different levels. An intp who has become accustomed to having any form of satisfaction at their disposal, will routinely return to it, be it a drug, some kind of food, or even a favored intellectual pursuit. I wouldnt say it is a significant form of addiction; most INTPs struggle with anxiety, and despite what a lot of people might think, INTPs aren't robots, we are people too. So it is expected that we find some way to comfort ourselves, because we obviously arent going to go to anyone else looking for comfort.

I wouldnt say INTPs are any more or less addictive than other personalities, anything i say about other personalities would be speculation.

I really would recommend that if someone is open to the idea of drugs, that you not go any further than smoking weed, i have spent a good amount of time smoking, and i used to drink occasionally. There is really no good reason for doing any more than that, getting a little high every now and then can be rationalized. There is no rationalizing smoking crack or shooting heroin etc.

@ minuend - I see what you are trying to say, but i also see what else is being said. I dont think curiosity makes you any more prone to addiction, you may try something because you are curious but curiosity ends there. But anyway (excuse me if this doesnt exactly fit into your debate) the behavior one experiences while under the effects of a drug, the act of using the drug, or the perceived change in ones self after using a drug (feeling cool etc.) can be just as addictive as the actual drug itself. For example i know a few people who are former heroin addicts who explained to me that they were more addicted to the actual act of injecting themselves with the drug than the high they got from it. Which as you said, the addiction was still in their heads, but it was an addiction to a specific behavior so it is hard to say where the line falls on this.

systembust

Local time
-->
I find the debate interesting, as I've never explicitly considered the relationship b/w curiosity and addiction; I personally just took it for granted. Here is a study (.pdf) I found on the exact topic (which happens to support my view =p )... apparently this debate has been going on for awhile now.

My thinking is: of course there's a relationship! b/c one who is curious about taking addictive drugs is going to be more prone to enjoy taking them, and form a habit, than one who has no interest whatsoever in ever taking addictive drugs in the first place. It's not to say curiosity causes addiction, simply that it makes one "more prone" to it.

I see where you guys are coming from as well, actually, but that's my own logic here. Also I have been through addiction and I cite curiosity as having played a role in my own struggle, and I have heard it cited by many others I have shared stories with in recovery. Of course that is anecdotal stuff.

Good discussion, though, it's always good to participate in intelligent debate that challenges things one has been taking for granted.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 11:27 PM
-->
I do have a tendency to get addicted to certain habits.

I have done many things to regulate it.

-Coke Zero
-Porn induced masturbation
-Imagination induced masturbation
-Coffee
-Basketball
-Games (I got rid of my console later)
-Alcohol (maybe?)

I avoided the cigarette though. I smoked a couple but was wary to get involved.

I also used to obsess over girls to a stalker-ish point. Then moved on to a place where such things couldnt happen.

Local time
-->
As a good INTP :D I would hesitate to extend my personal experiences to the type in general.

I would personally describe an addictive personality as someone who requires (or gives in to their desire) to take drugs (or do something) and cannot summon the will-power to stop.

Personally I do not think I have an addictive personality. I am curious, and due to that curiosity I have taken alcohol and marijuana a couple of times. I have also taken barbiturates and codeine under a medical setting, both of which were interesting (and nicely calming). However I have never come across anything that I can't give up.

While I was a grad student I spent about a month playing Civilisation 7 (more at the weekends) hours a day (plus actually working in the lab) and getting about 3 hours sleep a night. That might qualify as addictive, but once I completed the game a couple of times, I got completely bored with it and stopped cold turkey.

So while I might display occasional fits of addiction, I do not think it's actually a true addictive personality.

Physiological addiction is of course a matter of (bio)chemistry and that is probably where the genetics comes in. Personal chemistry is unlikely to have anything to do with personality type - which I would argue is more about neuronal connections rather than the sort of brain chemistry that results in physical addiction.

In terms of Psychological addiction, I wouldn't have thought that INTP's are prone to it. They're too curious to continue along a single path for an extended length of time.

Local time
-->
I do have a tendency to get addicted to certain habits.

I have done many things to regulate it.

-Coke Zero
-Porn induced masturbation
-Imagination induced masturbation
-Coffee
-Basketball
-Games (I got rid of my console later)
-Alcohol (maybe?)

I avoided the cigarette though. I smoked a couple but was wary to get involved.

I also used to obsess over girls to a stalker-ish point. Then moved on to a place where such things couldnt happen.

I think the fact that you seem to have overcome all of these things, points to the fact that you're curious, and enjoy new and stimulating things, but not addictive. Especially since you say you were stalkerish over girls - plural - which implies you became obsessive over a new interest (classic INTP) but probably got over it once you became bored with a particular girl (or no returned interest), and moved on to the next one. That isn;t addictive, that's classic INTP obsession over a new interest.

circusofdreams

Redshirt
Local time
-->
INTP's can have a vice for alcohol and prescription pills, sometimes coke socially but in my experience the alcohol and prescription pills seem to have the strongest hold on them.

ESTJ's seem to have a vice for alcohol

ENFP's... alcohol, coke, gambling, most ENFP's I've known have been stable but it seems when they go bad, they're open to anything

ESTP... wow do they love the coke, seems like most dealers I've known were ESTP's

ENTP's... I'm an ENTP, I've gone through phases but in the end quit everything. Perhaps pot or opiates.

ISTP's... only knew one in rehab for anything, it was for coke, they seem pretty stable to me, enjoying adrenaline when they like it. Able to know when they're taking it too far and knowing when they need to check themselves.

INTJ's... only knew one in rehab for anything, it was coke. known some serious life-long potheads (by which I mean they spent more on pot than on rent).

non drug-related addictions:

ENTJ's definitely have a vice for sex addiction (most have a healthy appetite, some have an addiction they can't kick without help)

ESFJ's and ENFJ's have a vice for some seriously out of control over-eating, I've known a few in over-eaters anonymous

INFP's (and ISTP women too) can have a vice for anorexia (whether that's a purely psychological or chemical addiction I'm not sure, because the body may release natural chemicals when you starve yourself)

addictedartist

-Ephesians4;20
Local time
-->
What about creative endevours, are there positive addictions?, we are the habit formers and routine oriented. marijuana increases my skillz, :smoker:

ked

Local time
Today 5:27 PM
-->
The NFs and their Sensor versions of STs have more addictive people as they don't have the control that NT gives; nothing beats the NT there as not only he has the best intelligence but he is also not under the dominance of emotions. I would hate to be anything but an NT when it comes to addictions and understanding.

And what is addictive? What isn't? Our dominant (MBTI) personality functions are spontaneous and so addictive, and that goes to any contents that fit in those functions, and they are different to different personality types. The Ns are definitely addicted to too much N, and Ts are definitely addicted to too much T. The Fs to too much F, the NFs to too much NF, the NTs to too much NT, the SFs to too much SF, the STs to too much ST. The Se's to too much Se, and the Si's to too much Si.

Top Bottom