• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Changes in appearance

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 11:34 AM
-->
I had no idea where to put this, so here it is.

Do any of you tend to change your appearance a lot?
In the last 6 months I had a pony-tail, mohawk, shaved head, beard, goatee, various versions of a mustache, and many combinations of the above. Today I randomly decided to take a straight-razor to my hair. I don't think I've had a consistent appearance for than 3 months in the last 10 years. The way I dress can also go through changes, but I don't buy enough clothes for it really to amount to much. Why spend 20$ on a tee-shirt when you can get 5 plain white ones for 10$ has always kinda been my philosophy with clothes.

Local time
Today 2:34 PM
-->
I've bought 3 new shirts and 4 pairs of pants in the past 3 years, 2 pairs being for work. Why get new clothes when the ones I have work just fine?

Miss Led

Local time
Today 7:34 PM
-->
I had no idea where to put this, so here it is.

Do any of you tend to change your appearances?QUOTE]

Yes. But being a woman I have the luxary of make-up. Since I have long hair I can style it differently, and a variety of clothing styles.

I am curious to add another question to this...but I will put it in a new thread..

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
Rarely. I had long hair until recently, but had it lopped off by an intrusive mother. My hair is now just above shoulder length, and it used to be a good way down my back. Other than my hair, I don't change much, except for the last fleeing vestiges of puberty.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
up until i was fourteen/the early part of being fifteen, i was a really, really awkward, dumpy looking girl. my clothes were too big, my hair had no style, my eyebrows were unplucked...

then i started buying clothes. clothes i actually LIKE. weird looking clothes. attention-grabbing clothes.

then i got a haircut. and dyed it. bright red.

then i shaved off my eyebrows. (no, seriously. pic:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x1/seymourseesmore/0316092320.jpg )

i constantly want change. the only problem is, more often than not, i can't have it due to a lack of money/strict conservative parents (i'm sixteen). but my next project is to get a septum piercing. after that i'm hoping to bleach my hair. and find a pair of purple boots.

it's not that i'm obsessed with my appearance or anything... i try to outwardly express how chaotic i am, inwardly. or something. that's my rationalization for it, anyway. really i'm probably just easily bored.

sometimes i dress down too. with "normal" eyebrows and "normal" clothes.

but anyway, yeah. i have fun with it. i s'pose.

aklyatne

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't actually change my appearance a lot. At all. Around the age of 13, I started growing my hair out a bit. Now it's longish - nearly shoulder length - and looks pretty awesome. I've been wearing naught but jeans and cheap t-shirts, with unmodified longish hair for the past few years, and plan to continue until at least college. All of my friends are trying out different looks now, but I haven't changed a bit :D

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 4:04 PM
-->
Hey, welcome, aklyatne! (since it's your first post, I guess?)

Anyhow, I have definitely not changed my appearance...I've always kept a fairly short haircut and slight sideburns. I considered growing my hair out long about a year ago, but then I realized that long hair would take way too much time to maintain/would take forever to wash in the shower/I would look pretty stupid :p.

didyouknow

Local time
Tomorrow 4:34 AM
-->
My changes consisted of buying shirts that weren't white, black or blue.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I shave my head every few months and use a razor to make my head smooth. I do this because:

a) My hair is wavy and erratic. It grows in different directions so if I let it get more than a few inches, it's off to one side and looks like I slept on it funny.

b) No one can trim it so that it looks right so why waste 25 bucks every month?

c) It feels awesome when it's freshly shaved.

Damaged.Goods

Redshirt
Local time
-->
:) Shoeless! I've never found anybody else who thought about this in the similar way as I do. I always dressed in very atypical ways but I spend hours and hours thinking about it and trying to create an otherworldly appearance. It's like a deep intellectual interest for me.

I think true INTPs can just as fruitfully apply themselves to areas like appearance and fashion as they can to other areas which are conventionally seen as intellectual. Many of those also interest me, but I think limiting oneself to such things is unnecessary. Stereotypes relating to personality do often have some basis of course, and I think in the case of INT-type people not bothering much with their appearance this is the case. However that doesn't mean that an INT can't be just as creative and convention-defying with their appearance as they can in any other way.

People saying they don't believe that I'm not an anime character makes it worth it, for me. I actually think that thoughtfully determining one's appearance and first impression is highly effective way for the intp who feels misunderstood to let the world know who their true, deep self is.

Jin Jing

Vecna

INTJ Infiltrator
Local time
-->
I went from khakis, t-shirt, hoodie and no makeup a to chic business wear like silk blouses and pencil skirts and business appropriate makeup w/a touch of color. Appearance started to matter to me the instant I got a not so happy look from my division head when some customers came to visit. I was getting good performance reviews though.

I figured this: If I want to move ahead in the organization I needed to change my appearance to exceed the expectations of the workplace. Just good performance was not enough because people = superficial.

I've reaped the rewards and am now looked upon as someone to model after for work clothes. Also got promoted a while ago.

Waterstiller

... runs deep
Local time
-->
Depending on who I'm going to be around or how I feel, I can look extremely different from one day to the next. I'm kind of a celeb at the local Chipotle (:worship: veggie tacos..) where they see all my various shades of gender expression most.

then i shaved off my eyebrows. (no, seriously. pic:
Reminds me of Amanda Palmer.

Morel Panic

Revenant
Local time
Today 1:34 PM
-->
For a long time, I really really hated blue jeans, partially because everyone else wore them, and partially because I had convinced mysely they were scratchy. I gave this up about 5 years ago though. They don't bother me now.

then i shaved off my eyebrows.
Reminds me of Weird Al...

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I keep going between not caring about my appearance and putting a good amount of effort into expressing myself with my appearance. However, I don't put much of a financial investment other than buying clothes when my other clothes don't fit or have worn out, and the occasional impulse buy, like a really colorful article of clothing, some wild colored eye shadow, or some jewelry. I also usually have shoulder length or longer hair, so I experiment with different hairstyles too.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Yes, I tend to make dramatic changes, mostly to my hair. It always grows back. I think I just get bored. It shakes things up a little (even if only a little).

Top Bottom