• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Bands you only seem to know

Local time
Today 3:22 AM
-->
If you know any bands, that are so good it makes you angry that no one knows them, then here is your chance to share them.
I will probably continue adding to this but here's some of my favorites:

Okkervil river-

YouTube- "Lost Coastlines" by Okkervil River

Sea Wolf

YouTube- Sea Wolf - Wicked Blood

Editors (probably more famous in the U.K.)

YouTube- Editors - The Racing Rats

Joy Divsion

YouTube- joy division

Fleet Foxes

YouTube- Fleet Foxes -he doesn't know why

and okkervil river again because I cant pick just one song haha

http://www.mtvmusic.com/artist/okkervil_river/videos/61770/for_real.jhtml

so if you have enjoyed any of these great bands i strongly encourage you to keep listening
:D
(thanks for the help vvv)

sniktawekim

Local time
Today 6:22 AM
-->
oh dear.. you have the same issue i had.. dont use the imbed for youtube videos.. i believe if you just post the youtube video url.. it shows up like one in your post.
on to your topic:
My Own Private Alaska (i know, i know, the screaming can get a little annoying.. but "ego zero" and "die for me" are pretty good songs).

Wish

Wellington
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->
Explosions in the Sky, Pavement, Sufjan Stevens (do people know of him?), St. Vincent, M83..

Wish

Wellington
Local time
-->
Porcupine Tree. They're pretty well known within their genre, but I'm really surprised they aren't more popular.

I didn't know they were relatively unknown, but they do rock..progressively..:coverlaugh:

Döden

Local time
-->
I made an awesome road trip video (masterfully edited with gorgeous footage gained from a day of desert, sun-showers and mountains) and set it to a Sea Wolf song. Stupid computer crashed.

I know of Sufjan Stevens but never really checked him out. I thought he was pretty well known?
Anyhow, 16 Horsepower are the shit.

Wish

Wellington
Local time
-->
I made an awesome road trip video (masterfully edited with gorgeous footage gained from a day of desert, sun-showers and mountains) and set it to a Sea Wolf song. Stupid computer crashed.

Woah way to build that up then just smother my hopes of seeing said video.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
Today 11:22 AM
-->
For the longest time (5-6 months) I genuinely believed that I was only person alive who knew of Weezer, and their delightful music. Then 'Island in the Sun' or 'Hash Pipe' or some trash song was made, they were on TRL, and I nearly lost it, fired a gun into a crowd, haven't been the same since.

I like M83. Anything set to 'Fields, Shorelines and Hunters' instantly becomes 1000x more dramatic/dire.

Erasmo Carlos and Caetano Veloso are two artists I'm not sure many people know of, at least in English-speaking southern NJ...

YouTube- Caetano Veloso - Cucurrucucu Paloma

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
For the longest time (5-6 months) I genuinely believed that I was only person alive who knew of Weezer, and their delightful music. Then 'Island in the Sun' or 'Hash Pipe' or some trash song was made, they were on TRL, and I nearly lost it, fired a gun into a crowd, haven't been the same since.

That was me too for a while. And if you think "Island in the Sun" is bad, their newest album is blasphemy, I'm afraid. Still love their old stuff though.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
That was me too for a while. And if you think "Island in the Sun" is bad, their newest album is blasphemy, I'm afraid. Still love their old stuff though.

Pinkerton and their first album (still not quite sure what to call it - the blue album? self-titled debut? Weezer?) were both astoundingly good. I don't listen to them as often as I used to, but their first album is one of the few I like in its entirety. I still remember bringing it in for one of those 'this is what I like' days in music class in fourth or fifth grade and being so confused as to why no one liked it, then on the way home I broke the CD on purpose out of shame. That was a poor decision.

mfratt

Local time
-->
+1 for Porcupine Tree

I need to find more unknown bands because there is a lot of good music to be had.

That said, I'm always amazed at how either unknown or underrated Rush is. That band actually (no joke) changed my life.

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
-->

Eljua

Local time
-->
Joy Division

Wait, what? How come Joy Division's obscure? Lots of people know Ian Curtis

I can't get enough of the band Sparks. Lyrically they're something special... and musically they just go off and do their own thing... I haven't met anyone who knows who the hell these guys are.

This town ain't big enough for the both of us.

Speaking of obscure bands: Angelspit

King Missile

The Mountain Goats

vurt

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 1:22 PM
-->

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
What I know from this thread: Okkervil River, Fleet Foxes, Explosions in the Sky, Sufjan Stevens, St. Vincent, M83, Fuck Buttons, Angelspit, God is an Astronaut.

My own: Beirut, The Antlers, Áine Duffy, Mew, Santigold, UNKLE, Yann Tiersen, 65daysofstatic.

Wish

Wellington
Local time
-->
What I know from this thread: Okkervil River, Fleet Foxes, Explosions in the Sky, Sufjan Stevens, St. Vincent, M83, Fuck Buttons, Angelspit, God is an Astronaut.

My own: Beirut, The Antlers, Áine Duffy, Mew, Santigold, UNKLE, Yann Tiersen, 65daysofstatic.

Well, that shows how much I know of obscure music. I'm too mainstream..I thought I was an individual! :(

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
If they're mainstream, I dread to think of what Miley Cirus might be. A religion?

I don't think it really matters whether what you like is well-known or not (still, I wouldn't expect average Joe to know them). It can still be good.

I don't have much respect for all those famous "artists" who don't write their own music though. I'm looking at you Beyoncé/Rihanna/Mariah. :beatyou:

del

Randomly Generated
Local time
-->
I don't know if any of these are that obscure, but this is just music that I think deserves to be way more popular.

This is stuff I've been listening to lately.

Tinariwen -- I think my exact reaction when I first heard this was, "HOLY CRAPBALLZ!"

Terakaft -- Moroccan desert blues. How awesome does that sound?

Basically any project with John Zorn in it, especially his klezmer stuff. Example:

Masada String Trio

Desmond Dekker -- old, but I didn't learn about him until recently. Apparently he's considered a major forerunner of ska.

If I think of more I'll add some later. I'm trying to look through my recent last.fm charts to find abscurish bands that I think you guys might appreciate.

Last edited:

The Frood

knows where his towel is
Local time
-->
I listen to alot of new age,
anybody hear of Mannheim steamroller, Narada, Cusco, lex de azevedo?

CocoaHeyday

Redshirt
Local time
-->

nemo

Local time
Today 9:22 PM
-->
Buck-Tick. A Japanese visual-kei band, they've been around since like the 80s... Their newer stuff is getting more mainstream, but I don't mind. I'm not too sure what genre they would be classed at (I'm bad with genres). They've gone through rock, techno, experimenting with electrical stuff, etc. Here are two (slightly older) songs of theirs!

Candy, a crazy song I love:
YouTube- Buck Tick - Candy PV

A magical song of theirs, live:
YouTube- Buck-Tick - Nocturne -rain song- (DIQ '03)

Last edited:

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:22 AM
-->
Pet. I don't know their names, I cannot find out anything about them online, they have no music videos, no purchasable albums as far as I know, and yet... I have their ablum on a burned CD, I don't remember where I got it, it was in my teens.. All I know is that they did a concert in New York City at some point and they have some sort of affiliation with Tori Amos though the only thing they have in common with her is gender. It drives me insane and unless I am really terrible at finding things online (which is altogether possible) no one else on the planet seems to have heard of them.

Them and Floater, but I'm not sure if they ever made it big.. and the Decemberists. But you can at least buy their albums online, and the Decemberists have music videos on Youtube indicating that quite a few people must know who they are.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 12:22 PM
-->
Where to begin? I spend a good chunk of every day with finding new, obscure and forgotten music. Bands, that have no wikipedia entries, no myspace pages and no own website - that's obscure to me. Music from countries of which you are not sure they really exist. I would consider myself to be something like a musical archaeologist. About 50% of my collection consists of really unknown bands.
Naming Porcupine Tree here is something that borders on a sacrilege, considering that they are both critically acclaimed and commercially successful. However, whoever likes Porcupine Tree should check out Anathema and Pineapple Thief too.

Payne's Gray's Kadath Decoded and Vauxdvihl's To Dimension are perfect examples. These two albums belong to the best progressive metal records of the 90's and yet nobody knows about them. Heck, you can't even buy them anymore outside of ebay and such.

zxc

Most Excellent
Local time
Today 9:22 PM
-->
Payne's Gray's Kadath Decoded and Vauxdvihl's To Dimension are perfect examples. These two albums belong to the best progressive metal records of the 90's and yet nobody knows about them. Heck, you can't even buy them anymore outside of ebay and such.

Mind if you can point me in the right direction to acquiring these? :p

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:22 PM
-->
Anyone good at finding rare albums know where one could find Aesop Rock's albums Music For Earth Worms or Appleseed?

Only song of them I ever found was this:

I don't know if you mean for just listening to or download, but there is this site where you can download individual songs from the limited edition album, although not for free (MP3):

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/aesop

and:

http://www.discogs.com/Aesop-Rock-Music-For-Earthworms/release/448748

Otherwise, it is also on itunes, that is, if you have itunes. Don't know if that was helpful.

Edit: If you're after the actual cd's, I cant think of anything but ebay or Amazon. The albums are difficult to find...

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I don't suppose they could be downloaded through Bit Torrent or something? I don't have itunes (I'm about one 'generation' behind on all my technology), and I've checked both amazon and ebay a few times in the past to no avail.

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 1:22 PM
-->
I don't suppose they could be downloaded through Bit Torrent or something? I don't have itunes (I'm about one 'generation' behind on all my technology), and I've checked both amazon and ebay a few times in the past to no avail.

I'll send you the links... (you're searching for them a bit wrong way...) torrents are not usually for rare albums.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I'll send you the links... (you're searching for them a bit wrong way...) torrents are not usually for rare albums.

Thanks for the help once again.

These albums are amazing - I wonder why Aesop Rock doesn't re-release these?

FrostFern

Local time
-->

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
Does anyone know where to find Cakecutter's music? Aside from that one song on iTunes?

Top Bottom