• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your ideal home?

Gunnarsson

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:58 PM
-->
How would your ideal home look? Apartment, house in the suburbs, house in the middle of nowhere...?

For some reason I am appealed by something like an old bomb shelter or bunker, similar to Burt Gummers home in the Tremors TV series (but better ofcourse - it has some obvious faults). Plenty of space for all my junk, a good garage/workshop, a generator, plenty of food and anything else you need so you basically can stand a siege - or just don't want to go shopping before next spring. (MREs seem to fit my level of cooking by the way.) A descent TV and sound system, computer with a reliable internet connection (better make that several diffrent types, so at least one will always work) and a bed, sofa, some tables, chairs and whatever seems to be usable. Painted concrete walls/floor would be fine, and ofcourse no windows/windows noone can look in through.

Anchorite

I trusted you Steve Guttenberg!
Local time
Today 7:58 AM
-->
2209457602_aff11b5225.jpg

Something like this. But not in the suburbs, it would either have to be in the middle of a dense neighborhood in Chicago, or out in the forest miles away from civilization. I love the two extremes, but I can not stand the suburbs. It would basically be somewhat plain on the inside, with few decorations or superfluous electronic entertainment. I probably wouldn't even have a T.V. As long as I have a nice computer with a fast internet connection, all else I really need is some books and a refrigerator.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
Today 8:58 AM
-->
victorian_0.jpg

Nice, big Victorian. Lotsa space and has that homey feeling. I like old things :)

Alice?

Local time
Today 5:58 AM
-->
Ok, in my fantasy-land, I'd love to have a huge tree house with a straw ceiling somewhere in the middle of a jungle with tons of vines hanging down to swing off of and a big stream with stones to jump across on. A couple of rope bridges and trees to climb up. Hahaha, it would probably look a lot like James Cameron's Pandora from Avatar.

In real life (eh, much less exciting) I'd want a medium sized house or apartment somewhere where there's lots of nature-type places to visit (ex. parks, hiking trails, stuff like that) but close enough to the downtown area of a city so there's tons of stuff to do and places to visit. I NEED and ocean nearby. I'd want it somewhere where the weather is fairly moderate- the winters aren't too cold, the summers aren't too hot.
I just realized that I basically described Vancouver, BC.
Vancouver__BC__Aerial_view%5b1%5d.jpg

Ahh, so pretty!
The house/aparment itself doesn't have to be anything special on the outside, but it MUST have lots of windows to let the light in. I'd prefer a backyard area, but if there are parks nearby I suppose it doesn't really matter. I'd want to have tons of books around and probably a cool TV and sound system to watch sci-fi on :D. A rooftop deck to put my telescope on. I would probably decorate it in a more eastern asian/ middle-eastern style with lots of warm colors and cool decorations and paintings. Lots of plants.
And yeah, I have thought about this too much.

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
stick1.jpeg

Something like this- Definitely Victorian, old fashioned. The inside would be awesome. Half would be very antique looking, with a very large study complete with books packed to the ceiling nearly, a cluttered desk, chairs and a large window on one wall. The rest of the rooms would be warm neutral colors, and there would be many windows. One room would be sort of an observation room, complete with a high tech telescope, computer, (high speed internet) books, and an awesome astronomical/science set up. Then I'd have extra rooms for any other objects I might put in later, the kitchen would be complete with a big refrigerator always filled with food. It would be located either somewhere like how the house in the photo above is, or on a secluded beach that can get foggy at times. I would love to have my own small, private beach land. Get up every morning before the sun rises, sit alone and watch the sun rise over the ocean... ah doesn't get any better than that!

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'd go with Anchorite's Arts & Crafts home. The philosophy behind that particular style is "elegance through simplicity" and definitely "form follows function," with a handful of "within the reach of modest incomes" in there as well.

On the other hand there's a lot to be said in favor of concrete bunkers with walls 12 feet thick....

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:58 AM
-->
I'd like to be homeless, to make the world itself my home, sleeping in hotels, camping and even staying with strangers I'd only met that day, effectively never sleeping in the same place twice. Of course I don't want to be poor or anything like that, I just want to have freedom & adventure, new experiences every single day and nothing else.

Or a moon-base with a giant fricken laser. :cool:

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
-->
I'd like to be homeless, to make the world itself my home, sleeping in hotels, camping and even staying with strangers I'd only met that day, effectively never sleeping in the same place twice. Of course I don't want to be poor or anything like that, I just want to have freedom & adventure, new experiences every single day and nothing else.

Me too. I've also considered staying in a small apartment next to a big grassy park, nice walkways and great landscapes. My room would consist of a laptop, internet modem, a drawer without doors ( I hate corners and places hidden to me, creeps me out unless someone else is sleeping near me) and a nice bookshelf for library books, a nice big desk, and a metal door guarding me (for the purpose of security after a horror movie). I would also like the ceiling to be made out of glass and a window facing the mattress or the desk. I would probably have a dog which I would take out for walks on a regular basis and to keep me company when I'm reading a book or checking the internet.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
1.jpg

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena

I've dreamed of having a life like that too. I'd have a totally online graphic design job so all I have to do is email my designs in. I'd have a nice roomy van with all the seats taken out except for the drivers and passenger's seat, and make a mini bedroom complete with wifi, air conditioning and heating, and a little stove. While I could buy prepared food, it would be cheaper and funner to cook part of the time.
But yeah, a nomadic life sounds nice.

But really, I would like a super modern looking house with an open floor plan in the middle of the woods, or otherwise secluded. Either that or an apartment I remodeled myself from an old factory in a mid-sized city. Just not suburbia.

EloquentBohemian

MysticDragon
Local time
-->
Open architecture, more than likely in an urban area. Simple and easy to maintain. Lots of space and bookshelves.
[link to more images]

Attachments

• minimalistHouse.jpg
    minimalistHouse.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 225

Deleted member 1424

A nomadic lifestyle would be nice, traveling place to place with no boundaries or limitations. Well all roads have to end somewhere, so I think I'll go by sea. Hmmm what are my options........

Houseboat- Too delicate for ocean waves :phear:

Sailboat- I don't know how to sail.....:slashnew:

Yacht- Too bourgeois :pueh:

Nuclear Submarine- Perfect :D

The interior would be comfortably furnished with plenty of room. I'll have have large sections of the hull removed and replaced with glass so you can see the Ocean floor. My crew and I (I couldn't manage a sub all my own) would troll along the bottom of the sea looking for sunken treasures, Atlantis, new types of life, and possibly Cthulhu. We'd visit coastal cities to explore; picking up an interesting straggler or two and leaving behind beloved old friends who wanted to settle down.

I think I'll name our sub the Tardis. *wistful sigh*

Maniceureka

I've lost my marbles
Local time
-->
20080926-astoria-houseboat-recording-studio-david-gilmour2.jpg

This is a house boat turned into a music studio called "Astoria" and it's owned by David Gilmour (guitarist from Pink Floyd).
Imagine being a musician and living in your personal house boat studio on a river with beautiful surroundings.
If I had any dreams, this would be it.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Today 8:58 PM
-->
An acre or five of featureless, four-inch fluffy green grass, kept trimmed by automatic systems, surrounded by forest or hills (or even just large berms) to block out the rest of the world. In the middle, a six-story cylindrical office block with alternating glass and white-paint horizontal stripes. A tunnel from the driveway to the underground garage level so the grass isn't interrupted. A swimming-pool-quality moat (automatically swept and cleaned) around the entire complex. Bonus if it has an actual beach on the inside with the sand automatically dredged from the moat and redeposited overnight.

Inside the main complex, glassed freight elevators and wide double-helix staircases. All structural elements confined to the central column and the ceilings/floors as much as possible. The top floor to have no central support but instead have visually minimal support columns around the edges and no internal walls, with twin staircases (with inbuilt cargo raisers) along the walls descending to the fifth level. Circular viewing walks outside the second, fourth, and sixth floors. Concealed stairs and cargo lifts from the sixth-floor walk to the roof, which would sport a slightly domed grassy field using the same grass as the grounds. Fully automatic cleaning inside and out.

Mobile, repositionable internal walls. Nice carpet, not overly plush. An extensive, fully stocked kitchen, cold storage and warehouse, perhaps on the third level along with other household facilities. Entertainment facilities on the first level (ground floor), which could be opened to the outside. Second level room layout convertible between guest bedrooms/facilities, entertainment rooms of various kinds, and conference areas.

Fourth level - personal living space.

Fifth level - workshops and library.

Sixth level - observation room/deck and big ol' empty space able to be used for all number of things.

First basement - freight delivery, storage of seasonal items, excess furniture, and walls. Indoor multipurpose sports area.

Second basement - vehicle garage and storage/recharge area for cleaning systems and groundskeeping machinery. Battery vault for solar and off-peak storage.

Noise-damping materials and high R-values throughout. Solar windows with adjustable opacity. Solar paint. Programmable lawnmowers so patterns can be mowed in the grass. A remote swing-gate at the driveway which could direct incoming traffic to the delivery tunnel or to a sweeping driveway mowed into the grass. Maybe a few shady trees outlining a parking area in 'front' of the building.

...hey, so I like office and hotel environments. Sue me. :)

RobdoR

Local time
Today 3:58 PM
-->
The Grinch's cave on the top of Mt. Crumpit.

But I'd settle for anything with secret passages.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Can I be one of the crew on your sub Nyx....

:cutewhitekitten:

I have a special recipe for sea monster and I can swab decks with the best of them! I could beat the rest of the crew into submission while you watch! You know, unless you want to do that yourself oh viciously gifted goddess of the flagellatory arts.

reprographist

Emilynd
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
bline_prefab_main.jpg

I really like the little prefab homes. I'd love one of those.

Deleted member 1424

Can I be one of the crew on your sub Nyx....

:cutewhitekitten:

Wouldn't think of setting sail without you. :cool:

I have a special recipe for sea monster and I can swab decks with the best of them! I could beat the rest of the crew into submission while you watch! You know, unless you want to do that yourself oh viciously gifted goddess of the flagellatory arts.

I may use that.

*sighs* Nevermind.
Dammit Kuu!

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
-->
This thread is most amusing, I have magnificent plans for it, but they shall be revealed later... all in due time.

oh viciously gifted goddess of the flagellatory arts.

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist kuurrupting that :^^:
Some words are just asking for it...

nyx: please don't kill me :ninjahide: I'm just filling in noddy's work during his extended absence. Someone's got to do it!

Alice?

Local time
-->
What on Earth...? I really love it yet find myself hating it a little at the same time. It's freaking awesome.

y4r5xeym5

Lurker Extraordinaire
Local time
-->

Crazythinker1

Quiet, I'am thinking
Local time
-->
I've done the nomadic thing. For about two years after graduating high school, I took off on my motorcycle and toured the country. I did it again when I graduated college. Must say, it was alot of fun. While in my travels however I ran across this crazy ass old hermit that lived in the hills of West Virginia in a yurt. Now that damn thing didn't look like much but it was nice on the inside, simple, efficient, and just plain ass cool. I decided right then and there my ideal home would be one of these in the high desert some where. All I would need is water, books, computer, and food. *Big sigh* :D:D:D

Cogito

The Empty Verb
Local time
-->
Mid-century modern and minimalist. Brick, with a shitload of glass and natural light. On a huge, verdant parcel of land.

The lack of furniture will be compensated with the abundant supply of books. Hammocks.

I want to say my ideal is somewhat similar to Johnson's Glass House, albeit the addition of brick walls where necessary.
glass_house_1.jpg

Ah. . . sweet simplicity. :)

Pythia

Vagabond
Local time
-->
A small apartment somewhere picturesque.

I don't care much about what it looks like on the outside, but interiors like these would be ideal:
tumblr_ku75riOCf11qztufmo1_400.jpg
Just add a kitchen and a bathroom.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Mid-century modern and minimalist. Brick, with a shitload of glass and natural light. On a huge, verdant parcel of land.

The lack of furniture will be compensated with the abundant supply of books. Hammocks.

I want to say my ideal is somewhat similar to Johnson's Glass House, albeit the addition of brick walls where necessary.

Ah. . . sweet simplicity. :)

+1

Ideal Indeed.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
Nice, big Victorian. Lotsa space and has that homey feeling. I like old things :)

[giggle at the funny Americans thinking that is 'old']

This is a brilliant thread. I haven't got time to contribute yet but I will. I think Loki is currently designing my ideal house.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
I wanna cry; and it is against my religion to cry.

12th century French Castle for £700k on eBay.

frecas.png

However I can't live in France for unspecified reasons ( I like the French well enough ). My plan would therefore have to be a/ Get £700,000, b/ Persuade the Germans to visit France again and then declare South West France to be part of Germany. They know they want to...

Claverhouse :phear:

Lithorn

Local time
-->
^So...a hobbit hole? :smiley_emoticons_mr

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
-->

Get out of my head!

You mean something like Mies' unbuilt brick villa?

[bimgx=600]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2669/3895004104_345a4dbd3c_b_d.jpg[/bimgx]

Mid century modern is undescribably amazing. There are so many kinds of houses... can't just pick one, I need to have many. MANY.

Frank Lloyd Wright's Jacobs House 2
jacobsII10%5B11%5D

jacobsII7%5B13%5D

[bimgx=600]http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/EEI/HEATLOAD/0425-49.jpg[/bimgx]

Jacobs-Plan%5B2%5D
Eames House
3421646897_33b4b116aa.jpg

178140191_73864b8a1e_d.jpg

178140192_7bbe89afc2_d.jpg

4349969249_5c228aa07e_d.jpg
John Lautner's Garcia House
[bimgx=600]http://www.mimoa.eu/images/8563_l.jpg[/bimgx]
2919222029_f7ef959df4_o.jpg
Marcel Breuer's Hooper House 2
hooperhouseexteriorcour.jpg

hooperhouseexteriorcour.jpg
Bernard Judge's House
default_modern_arch_exc_04_0710091352_id_121548.jpg

page_mi_shulman_modernism_03_0705221845_id_2681.jpg
Paolo Soleri + Mark Mills, Wood Residence
0853-03KP.jpg

3369804622_2d8a55a91d.jpg
Buff, Straub and Hensman, Case Study House #20
[bimgx=600]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3549/dsc00491x.jpg[/bIMGx]

dsc00492x.jpg

The fireplace on the last one is so erotic it makes me squee with joy

Starfruit M.E.

Goes by M.E., NOT Star.
Local time
-->
Me too. I've also considered staying in a small apartment next to a big grassy park, nice walkways and great landscapes. My room would consist of a laptop, internet modem, a drawer without doors ( I hate corners and places hidden to me, creeps me out unless someone else is sleeping near me) and a nice bookshelf for library books, a nice big desk, and a metal door guarding me (for the purpose of security after a horror movie). I would also like the ceiling to be made out of glass and a window facing the mattress or the desk. I would probably have a dog which I would take out for walks on a regular basis and to keep me company when I'm reading a book or checking the internet.

Mine is really close to the above. I'd get an old run-down one room city apartment with the people who didn't have anything. And I'd have a computer and a keyboard on the ground, a bookcase, a closet, a little fridge, a microwave, and a bed. A window above the bed. I too wouldn't want to actually be poor... but I don't want to live like a ignorant rich person who doesn't care about people out in the projects. I want to literally be there for anyone who needs me, and I want to compose music and write. And then when I want out, I'll walk or bike out to a park area like mentioned above and get lost in the woods. No car. Oh yeah... if the apartment allowed it, I would get a cat. lol

And if at some point I wanted to have a family, I'd get a bigger apartment with a kitchen, two bedrooms, and a living room area. Might get a dog if I got married.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I prefer the more grand Bernard Judge house.

Alexk

Local time
-->
Studio apartment full of trendy art and swanky furniture with a bit of feng shui. Maybe a bit like Marion's place in Requiem for a Dream.

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->

Ska

Local time
-->
waterfront-vacation-home-plans-encinal-bluff-1.jpg

This looks pretty sweet

I like modern houses with lots of glass, but hate the little privacy it gives you. I would need me house made of tinted windows lol.

But it's gotta be a peaceful enviroment....like an awesome forest or alongside the ocean...with minimum amount of people but lots of places for me to go get whatever I need very quickly. :D

unhinged

Local time
Today 4:58 PM
-->
Nothing too fancy... :)

mountain-home.jpg

unhinged

Local time
Today 4:58 PM
-->
You sure you could get inernet out there?:p

Satellite internet? :cool:

I probably wouldn't mind though... as long as I had books to read... would probably have to venture into civilization to get new ones every once in a while... *shudder*

didyouknow

Local time
Today 10:58 PM
-->
Frodo20a20Rivendell.jpg

Or...

DisneylandTarzanTreehouse_wb.jpg

Top Bottom