• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why did you pick your name?

adso1980

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
Tne name of my cat, and the year I was born.:rolleyes:

Local time
-->
I was diagnosed a long time ago with "extreme depression and schizophrenic tendencies" I used to hear three voices from different personas I created. There was paranoid android who was logical and calloused. He saw things as the way they were and saw no beauty in life. All his actions were cold and calculated. Paranoid android was so paranoid because he knew that if it was only him that he'd die. I wanted to kill myself and only saw the world through his eyes.

An arbitrary prototype is the second persona. He loved beauty and chance and never over-analyzed. An arbitrary prototype was happy for no reason and never looked too far in to things. Paranoid android was mostly dying because an arbitrary prototype was nonexistent.

Finally I created whore which I am least proud of. Whore took care of all the loose ends of sexuality and carnal desires like wrath or envy. I never liked whore because I thought of him as just somebody created to tie up the loose ends.

I heard voices from these three personas. Finally I got on seroquel and prozac which finally stopped them and my depression. I'm now officially cured and off of all my medications. Though psychologists wouldn't dare say that I'm cured, they would much rather believe I simply exaggerated my symptoms. I choose Arbitrary Prototype because I always keep him in my mind. Paranoid android loved math and science, not because it was beautifully complex but just because it wanted to know. An Arbitrary Prototype helps remind me to see how amazing these equations are that I study.

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
I used to hear three voices from different personas I created.

i am pretty much in this exact situation.. and im about 90% sure i am schizoid.. but not schizophrenic (supposedly schizoids can develop into schizoprenics though).

i started with two -
one of them is very analytical, introverted, and uncomfortable. he is the reflective one.
he is both really thinking and feeling (but only one at a time). he is pretty much always depressed - and is completely withdrawn in social situations.

then there is a very aggressive one. he doesnt come out of the corner very often, but when he does, he causes problems with other people. he is almost always angry. i typically hate people and can always see the bad things in everyone... so when he comes out he basically just tells people what i think of them. funny thing is that i like having him act more often - because he isnt so depressed.

then there is this mask. you see - the reflective one is the one that is controlling about 80% of the time, and in order to deal with social circumstances, he has created a mask. this mask uses voices, voice fluctuations, and body language that i have stolen from people that i have thought of as socially "good". heck, the voice i talk in on a daily basis is completely fake. i wear this mask whenever i am not alone. he is always a jokester, finds humor in everything and is serious about nothing. very sarcastic.. and often into black humor. this mask has developed into like a half-being. whenever he is on... i see myself as the reflective personality perceiving everything, and then thinking how to act through this mask.. the reflective guy is doing all of the thinking - the mask all the expressing.

FF

This ain't no disco.
Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
It WAS FastFashion, which is the rough English translation of Depeche Mode, aka my favorite band.

But then everyone in the IRC started calling me FF, and I stuck with it.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Since most people don't know what Fedayeen is, I figured I'd post this here, (just a copy and paste from something else, not my work)

Unable to mount a conventional military army, the Nizāriyya developed a form of asymmetric warfare transforming the act of political assassination into a system of survival and defense against their foes. They trained highly capable sleeper commandos (trained in languages, science, trade, and so on) known as Fedayeen, who would covertly infiltrate enemy positions and remain undercover. If Nizari civilians were facing pogroms or their forts faced imminent attack, the Fedayeen were activated to prevent an attack.

Map of the crusader states, showing the area controlled by the Assassins around Masyaf, slightly above the center, in white.
Fedayeen used their well-known skills for political goals without necessarily killing; for example, a victim, usually high-placed, might one morning find a Hashshashin dagger lying on his pillow upon awakening. This was a plain hint to the targeted individual that he was not safe anywhere, that maybe even his inner group of servants had been infiltrated by the assassins, and that whatever course of action had brought him into conflict with the Hashshashins would have to be stopped if he wanted to live.[5][6]
Within Persia they employed their tactics directly against the Seljuk Turks, who had been persecuting Nizari people. They were meticulous in killing the targeted individual, seeking to do so without any additional casualties and loss of innocent life, although they were careful to cultivate their terrifying reputation by slaying their victims in public. Typically, they approached using a disguise, or were already sleeper agents in an entourage. Preferring a small hidden blade or dagger, they rejected poison, bows and other weapons that may have allowed the attacker to escape and live.
Within the Levant it is believed that Saladin, incensed by several almost-successful Hashshashin attempts on his life, besieged their chief Syrian stronghold of Masyaf during his reconquest of Outremer in 1176. He later lifted the siege after parley, and thereafter attempted to maintain good relations with the sect. The sect's own claims tell of an unsourced account in which assassin Rashid ad-Din Sinan sneaked into Saladin's tent in the heart of his camp, and left a poisoned cake and a note on Saladin's chest as he slept saying "You are in our grip" and then sneaked back out of the camp unharmed. Another account tells of a letter sent to Saladin's maternal uncle, vowing death to the entire royal line; perhaps no idle threat. Whatever the truth of these accounts, Saladin's uncle clearly heeded their warning, and desisted.
The Hashshashin often took contracts from outsiders. Richard the Lionheart was among those suspected of commissioning them to assassinate Conrad de Montferrat.[7] In most cases the Hashshashin were aimed at retaining the balance of their enemies.[citation needed]
Notable victims include the notable Abbasid vizier Nizam al-Mulk (1092), the Fatimid vizier al-Afdal Shahanshah (1122) (responsible for imprisoning Nizar), Ibn al-Khashshab of Aleppo (1125), al-Bursuqi of Mosul (1126), Raymond II of Tripoli (1152), Conrad de Montferrat (1192), and Prince Edward (later Edward I of England) was wounded by a poisoned Hashshashin dagger in 1271.

Lt_Wolf

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:24 PM
-->
Back in the day I was playing some games with a friend of mine. We went to play GHost Recon (PS1), and his profile for it was Lt. Gnazka (not his last name). My last name is wolf, so I made a profile as Lt. Wolf.

Over time it became my standard name for everything--If I can make my own name, it will be Lt. Wolf, Lt_Wolf, Lieutenant Wolf, or some variation if someone took it before.

Odd story, I once came across another Lt. Wolf. He was a Lightweight boxer with the last name of Wolf.

These days my friends call me Lieutenant or LT as an acknowledgment or greeting.

checkplus

un-understandable, deeply devoted, irreparably int
Local time
-->
My name is extremely common, and I always wanted a fairly unique username. It always pissed me off that I couldn't google myself. One day I was drawing on the edge of my paper and I started drawing a checkplus in all kind of different ways. I looked at it and ended up googling checkplus and finding only random off topic mentions. I can almost always get checkplus on any forum and I have it on deviantart, hotmail, youtube, photobucket, and almost every one of the large internet sites. it's good to have a name I can use anywhere.

Silent_Rebel

Local time
-->
A teacher called me a silent rebel after a study hall once because I didn't do any work, and I just sat there. That is what started me on actually being a "rebel".

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Tomorrow 12:24 AM
-->
In the mid-90s, I'd been on IRC under different names for a while. My gf was a member of a slightly new-age channel and invited me on there. I had to come up with a nick quickly, and most of the ones I'd used before were taken on that network. I thought I'd just use the astrological term until I could think up something better, but someone else already had the correctly spelled version. One extra "i" tacked on the end later, and I was ready to rock.

Fourteen years later, I still occasionally drop in on that channel, and I've started using this name for all my non-public-persona internet presences. Collectively, it's probably the truest look at who I am behind the day-to-day facade.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
-->
Anamalech = The demon of bad news :phear:

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 7:24 PM
-->
I have a history of using hundreds of usernames, but for the most part I use actual words, often food (I'm not sure why, but playing a first person shooter as CostcoDog is fun). Anyway, I use Decaf a lot because I though it fit my personality, being mellower than normal coffee.

So what about everyone else?

I always thought your name to be from decaffeinated coffee... as a coffee lover, I had my doubts....:eek: but actually, you seem to one of the intellects standing out out here.:p

My own name.... when I first got a computer home... it was in 1998, I was in chat rooms a lot.... and somehow got to the name Mad Scientist. After a while.... I thought, it is too long, so I started to use Mad as a nickname. But soon I realised the name is taken in most places, I changed it to Mad1. After a while, thought that 1 should still be written as a text, so it changed to Mad_one, but I disliked the "_" part, so I started to use Madone as my nick. I had my doubts if the case was actually true, because at times, I cat get to somewhat opposites of what I think at different times (had a doubt about split personality), so I included s, so it became Madones. To my surprise, the sites I visited at that time, Madones was taken at some sites, so I includes one s more.

Though my friends still use mad as one of my nicknames, and I actually do have nicknames a lot more than I have pairs of socks, I guess.... the name mad in the nickname quite represents me at some points... originally not meant to have a psychological malfunction meaning behind it, but because at some points I do get stuck on topics conclusively as overly obsessive at times.

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
Audentia is Roman and means courage. It is something I have a lot of and need a lot of and it rolls off the tongue quite nicely I think :).

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
I have trouble with usernames... I picked mine because I was eating an orange before I got on the computer... if that isn't a stupid way to get a name I dont know what is! :)

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Cuz they wouldn' t let me post without one. eom.

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
Your name makes me want apple pie ala mode.. even though you're referring to NY and 3.14... hehe :).

NothingTodo

Local time
-->
Im overly bored.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Im overly bored.
When you transition from just plain bored to overly bored do you go through a special phase or does it happen without your notice? 2nd Q: Have you EVER found anything to do and how did it grab you? I once had nothing to do but later I found something. I don't remember what it was.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I picked my name so people would recognize me. Now I'm not so sure that was a good idea. I could have picked a ridiculous name but that would have been ridiculous. I could have picked a long name but that would have been too short. I could have picked another name but that would be different. I could have picked your name but it was taken.

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
-->
My name? No no, this is my name. You can take my other name Enaragon. That's another name I've been using since forever. All my names are very novel names that don't have anything to do with real life.

For example, Heron Aistara Ruthinfield Isoscelay

Alot of mine are names that people might use though, if they were as original as me. :P

binary_me

Undecided: off|on
Local time
Tomorrow 12:24 AM
-->
From my website: Binary Me

"BINARY: bi⋅na⋅ry | ˈbaɪnəri, -nɛri | bahy-nuh-ree - "consisting of, indicating, or involving two"

..and

"The reference to "binary" in the site name, in this case applies to my tendency to take an 'on|off' approach to most things I do... New things grab my attention, I learn enough to 'master' a new skill (based on my own subjective criteria)... and then, almost as abruptly, I tend to loose interest: Two aspects of me."

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Got mine for my hawk-like eyesight.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
Shhhh....I'm at work, shouldn't be doing this....must be addicted......:phear:

Polaris: The North Star. An important heavenly body (:rolleyes:), used for navigational purposes, one of the brightest stars in our solar system, also a pointer star of the constellation Ursa Major. Can be seen only in the Northern Hemisphere. The direction North has always had a personal significance for me. I also originate from the Nordic region. Astronomy has always been an interest of mine. The first time I discovered the stars, my mother and father had to put up with a wrestling match to get me back inside.

This all sounded a bit pompous, but then I am indeed an old pompous bag of bones......:cat:

y4r5xeym5

Lurker Extraordinaire
Local time
Today 11:24 AM
-->
I used to be in the habit of hitting the keyboard with a fist to generate a username and password. Out of the five or so accounts I have made this way on various sites, this one is my favorite.

I'm weird. Don't judge me. :evil:

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
-->
When I came onto this forum, I was into another forum called Politics Forum. I was called Xel there so I transfered that. I wanted something vaguely leftist sounding.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
The first thing that jumped out when I hit the username field.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I picked my name when I didn't know doing so might cause me to be accused of being a "J." (P's wouldn't' pick a name as it means making a judgment.) Now I don't know whether to be sorry or not.

Actually I picked this specific handle cuz I'm from New York (called the "Big Apple") and I have a degree in math. Another reason is it says something when people think "pi" is "pie." Did they get the joke or didn't they?

WorkInProgress

I use metaphors to show how deep I am.
Local time
-->
Just something to describe my constant struggle to improve myself.

boradicus

And as he gazed her eyes were filled with the dark
Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
After a cursory review of some of the reasons folks have picked their names, it occurred to me that perhaps in many circumstances the name itself is more self-explanatory than any explanation - it would be tantamount to transliterating a poem into an array of interpretive concretes; yet while such may be the case in some instances, in others, names such as my own may seem to be something that they actually are not. For instance, having used this name on paltalk.com, I have had (in addition to many a mispronunciation) received several questions and comments relating the name to either some Roman personage, or a farcical play on the character portrayed by Ali-G, 'Borat.' In truth, neither Ali-G nor Borat were probably not even born at the time when I created this name.

Boradicus, quite simply, was the name of a Dungeons and Dragons character that I played during the 80s. I have kept the name around for use on the net because it is unique, succint, and is slightly endeared to me by the context of its use at the time by way of the friends I had and the fun era of my life in which I used to play that game. Additionally, like my self, the persona was a Bard ;) - and also like myself, quite a happy-go-lucky person :)

Hopefully that was informative =)

boradicus

Local time
-->
Shhhh....I'm at work, shouldn't be doing this....must be addicted......:phear:

Polaris: The North Star. An important heavenly body (:rolleyes:), used for navigational purposes, one of the brightest stars in our solar system, also a pointer star of the constellation Ursa Major. Can be seen only in the Northern Hemisphere. The direction North has always had a personal significance for me. I also originate from the Nordic region. Astronomy has always been an interest of mine. The first time I discovered the stars, my mother and father had to put up with a wrestling match to get me back inside.

This all sounded a bit pompous, but then I am indeed an old pompous bag of bones......:cat:

Is that a Maine Coon that you are sporting there - or is that some other huge breed of cat? Those things are immense =) - I much prefer Siamese Cats myself, however, I am generally quite amenable to felis catus on the whole as long as they are not terribly wimpy dispositionally speaking...

boradicus

Local time
-->
Audentia is Roman and means courage. It is something I have a lot of and need a lot of and it rolls off the tongue quite nicely I think :).

What an interesting correlation: Courage is indeed the province of making emotionally discerned decisions from a perspective of introversion; this is what I gleaned from your statement about being an INFP in relationship to you choice appellation. Being an INTP, conversely, I experience courage, but I do not possess need of it; logic dictates, and I incur an emotional debt to myself as a matter of consequence. Sometimes the debt is resolved quickly - at other times, when the bank account is running low, it takes time to recuperate and heal.

Eclipse

The Watcher
Local time
-->
I thought "Eclipse" represented me. I'm quiet, reserved, and...dark, in a way. I'm not mean or anything...I'm a lot warmer around my friends, but I keep to myself, and few people ever bother me. "Eclipse" also implies mystery to me, which fits because I don't like to say much about myself.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 11:24 PM
-->
first letter of my first name, second letter of my first name, first letter of surname, first letter of last name, year of graduation. below my name is what is going on in my mind.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Time is something I've always despised, yet am fascinated by.

The ocean is similar. It is too big, I am not good at swimming, in navigating it I'll probably drown. Time = ocean = name.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
I started using irc about 14 years ago and took the nick snowqueen then. I've always loved the story of the Snow Queen - and as a child I was drawn to the pictures in my story books and the Snow Queen was so beautiful and wise looking. The story is about a child whose heart is pierced by an evil shard of a mirror and the Snow Queen represents the freezing of the child's heart until he is released by his friend's tears of love. Although I always associated emotionally with the child whose heart was frozen, I never saw the Snow Queen as evil, but strangely protective. Snowqueen is far too common nowadays so I was really pleased when I found I could have it on here.

I have another nick which was my alternate on irc and I used it in other places - indigirl. I really loved that nick because I was quite the punk in the 70s and it fitted the rebel, but somehow when I hit 50 it just didn't feel right any more.

Himself

The Mad Stork
Local time
-->
I take my username from the nickname given to one of the major characters of the mind-blowing tome that is David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. It's a nice way to draw out the odd DFW fan on the sites I frequent, and it's also still readily available at most places. After all, who (besides an INTP, of course) would think to give oneself a name so nondescript as "Himself"? I also identify with a few characteristics of said character, though not all of them.

Emil

Absent-minded Professor
Local time
Today 9:54 PM
-->
My nickname keeps changing from time to time. I don't want to keep changing my username all the time. So, I picked something that doesn't change that often, my first name - Emil, for a username.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm also known as The Wizard for some reason :rolleyes:

BurnoutPriest

Local time
-->
My friend and I were sitting playing the game Burnout: Revenge. (A racing game known for spectacular car crashes) After performing particularly nasty wreck and an exclamation from my friend I stated in a solemn voice, "A crash does not encompass only the car; it encompasses the soul." A small moment of silence later my friend turned to me and said, jokingly, "You sound like a Burnout priest." The name struck me as both humorous and original, so I began using it when signing up for online accounts. That, my fellow forum members, is the story of BurnoutPriest.

asmit127

Local time
-->
This username is the result of being curious about a strange religious person who approached me in the street less than a week after first thinking about why life is, the possibility of God etc. I wanted to contact her anonymously so signed up for a new e-mail address as Alan Smith, shortened to asmith, add random numbers... give up and remove the h and find it's still popular (with Asians?) so back to adding numbers... this was the first one that wasn't taken in 10 minutes of trying!

My main username is known by those offline who I have discussed somewhat negatively on here, so just as well I've used an anonymous and meaningless name :cool:

Jah

Mu.
Local time
Today 6:24 PM
-->
My initials
the name for God; Yah/Jah, by rastafarian and jehovahs witnesses,
my surname if read backwards
also an Egyptian God of the Moon; Jah/Iah, which means Moon, and I've often contemplated myself a Lunatic or follower of the Moon.

Can also draw parellels to Jahman which seems a combination of Jah and Moon and man which kinda brings the whole together.

Written in hebrew my surname is read left to right and my initials right to left.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
My initials
the name for God; Yah/Jah, by rastafarian and jehovahs witnesses,
my surname if read backwards
also an Egyptian God of the Moon; Jah/Iah, which means Moon, and I've often contemplated myself a Lunatic or follower of the Moon.

Can also draw parellels to Jahman which seems a combination of Jah and Moon and man which kinda brings the whole together.

Written in hebrew my surname is read left to right and my initials right to left.

I find this somewhat riddled with irony

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Question: does bananaphallus post on this board? (I know bananamango has.) I can't figure what he would say. Let's go ask him ..... (I assume he's a him but that's an assumption which is hardly fair if one is non-sexist).

imchristinak

Local time
-->
my last name is kim and by revealing it now defeats the purpose of having created this username which was meant to leave it simple at k and nothing more.

nemo

Local time
Tomorrow 3:24 AM
-->
Most people seem to have usernames that are 'pleasing to the ear', somehow.

My username came up from a...moment I had in Year 8 - Iamanemo = I am a nemo! Also, after I joined, someone told me that nemo means nobody/noone in latin, and that fits my personality quite well. AND! Nemo, backwards, is Omen. XD

Jah

Mu.
Local time
Today 6:24 PM
-->
Top Bottom