• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Holy Grail of the Unconscious

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 10:22 AM
-->
Carl Jung has a book that is about to finally be published, here is the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/magazine/20jung-t.html?ref=global-home

In the Red Book, after Jung’s soul urges him to embrace the madness, Jung is still doubtful. Then suddenly, as happens in dreams, his soul turns into “a fat, little professor,” who expresses a kind of paternal concern for Jung.

Jung says: “I too believe that I’ve completely lost myself. Am I really crazy? It’s all terribly confusing.”

The professor responds: “Have patience, everything will work out. Anyway, sleep well.”

I will be reading this book, to say the least.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 9:22 AM
-->
Jung's Zarathustra?

Sounds infinitely interesting.

RobertJ

Local time
Today 11:22 AM
-->
Recently I've been contemplating reading some of Jung's work, I just don't know where to begin (what book to start with). Anyone have a suggestion as to where would be a good starting point?

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
The first one I read was 'Man and His Symbols'. I'm not sure if that is the appropriate starting place though.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I started reading "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", which is kind of Jung's autobiography. It was a little slow, but I may revisit it in preparation of the Red Book.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
With Jung, I'm not sure there is an appropriate starting point. I think I first read Psychology and Religion. I'd say you can start pretty much anywhere.. his work is pretty accessible.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:22 PM
-->
I want to read this book, but it costs £95.00 :eek:

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow 2:52 AM
-->

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
Today 5:22 PM
-->
I started reading "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", which is kind of Jung's autobiography. It was a little slow, but I may revisit it in preparation of the Red Book.

I'm actually reading that right now. It's my first Jung book, and I do find it a little confusing, though fascinating.
I dunno if it's the best place to start, but at least now I have a list of titles for once I finish it. :D

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
-->
Dragons! He saw dragons! And angels, and "Dei sapientia in mysterio quaea ab condita...", if I'm reading that correctly.

smiley_emoticons_eek.gif

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:22 AM
-->
I asked about it today at the bookstore... should be arriving in the next few days. I walked out with Thus Spoke Zarathustra instead - it's really a bit embarassing that I haven't read it in it's entirety, given I'm such a Nietzsche fanboy.

Shaz

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:22 PM
-->
A starting book for Jung... I would say Man and His Symbols is a good one since it's a vulgarisation book written at the end of his life, with the purpose of rendering his ideas accessible to the general public. Memories, Dreams, Reflections is good but is more about the man himself than about his theories. So it depends on what you're looking for.

And as far as the Red Book, God, I'm SO excited about this. I only read about it today (bit late, I know) and so I won't be able to get it until december when amazon has replenished its stock (ah, living in France!) but I just can't wait. His illustrations look incredible too. I just became hysterical when I read the new york times's article... Psychology, art, spirituality, all in one.... Aaaahhhh...

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
You asshole! How is it thus far?

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:22 AM
-->
Yes tarot-like indeed. Typically archetypal.

@Flow: I only read a little, but it's fascinating. It really feels like getting a direct view into Jung's psyche, conversations between various spirits (inner voices). It reminds me a lot of the processes that I and I imagine most intps go through when formulating their beliefs. One thing: the original text, which is included in the publication, is not written in English - I don't know why I was surprised by that.

Top Bottom