• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Simple confirmation that you are an INTP

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
Today 2:28 PM
-->
Okay, so what I am looking for is a split-second situation/interaction when your INTP-ness becomes glaringly obvious.

Mine occurred fifteen minutes ago:

I was making a right-hand turn. On the corner was a homeless man. His marker-on-cardboard sign read:

VETRAN/ NEED WORK

My first thought: 'He spelled veteran wrong.'
Second thought: 'Holy crap, I'm an unfeeling brain enclosed in flesh. This man is suffering and I criticize his spelling?'
Third thought: 'Oh well.'
(Back to enjoying the music I'm listening to.)
Fourth thought: 'I need to post this on Intp forum!'

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
Today 4:28 PM
-->
i love to point how stupid everyone is at the dinner table.

does that count?

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:28 PM
-->
Someone asks me how long it will take to do X

I answer, "I'm guessing about 16 hours."

They come back with, "Can you get me an exact estimate by the end of the day?"

I sigh and respond, "No but after 16 hours of work, I'll be able to tell you if I was right."

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
Today 9:28 PM
-->
I've got a really embarrassing one.

Colleague whose husband is dying puts her head round my door at 5.30pm. 'Are you busy?' she enquires. I'm not, I'm reading the Intp forum whiling away time before picking up my daughter. Inwardly I groan.

I do think it must be terrible for her - it must be horrible. But she's not my friend and she's garrulous and utterly illogical. And what she wants to moan about is all about how she's not getting any attention from him any more.

I restrain myself from shouting 'maybe, just maybe he's got something else on his mind!!!'

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I was making a right-hand turn. On the corner was a homeless man. His marker-on-cardboard sign read:

VETRAN/ NEED WORK

My first thought: 'He spelled veteran wrong.'
Second thought: 'Holy crap, I'm an unfeeling brain enclosed in flesh. This man is suffering and I criticize his spelling?'
Third thought: 'Oh well.'
(Back to enjoying the music I'm listening to.)
Fourth thought: 'I need to post this on Intp forum!'

Happens to me all the time. Misspelled words annoy me to no end, regardless of who is making the mistake.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
okay, I thought of something a little more concrete (it's a little along the lines of what snowqueen said) :

last year, one of my best friends, me, and this girl we both knew pretty well but was a grade higher than us were all hanging out after school. she was talking to us, and ended her statement with something along the lines of:

"Ya, I really feel like I can open up to you guys. you are like my best friends after all."

we both were silent for like 3 seconds, and then I blurted out: "Really???"

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
okay, I thought of something a little more concrete (it's a little along the lines of what snowqueen said) :

last year, one of my best friends, me, and this girl we both knew pretty well but was a grade higher than us were all hanging out after school. she was talking to us, and ended her statement with something along the lines of:

"Ya, I really feel like I can open up to you guys. you are like my best friends after all."

we both were silent for like 3 seconds, and then I blurted out: "Really???"

hahahaha soooo familiar.

Here's one. I am communicating with my INTJ daughter through facebook chat about what's on TV later and she's in the next room. INTP mothering for you.

severus

Local time
-->
My grandmother has been visiting for a week, and she asked if I'd miss her when she left.
And I said no! My own grandmother, I'm awful.

But to be fair, she comes in pretty often.

truthseeker72

Local time
-->
When I concisely summarize in five seconds what somebody just spent five minutes blabbing about.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The simple fact that I go to bed when people wake up, and get up around the time people are going to bed, for the reason that a) I can, and b) It avoids human contact.

Omnisu

Redshirt
Local time
-->
People will talk at me for a while, and I will repeat back what they were trying to say the entire time in a single concise sentence. "blah blah blah." "Oh. So X. Right?"

Local time
-->
When I concisely summarize in five seconds what somebody just spent five minutes blabbing about.

this, wtf is the point of a 7 page paper about a subject that can be summarized in one or two sentences?

boomkablamo

Local time
-->
When someone is speaking so much shit to reinforce their ego, which you know is false, all you can do is think "what a douche, does he really think i believe him", and avoid eye contact.

Broden

Redshirt
Local time
-->

This. It's what kills me in english. Every essay I write the marker replies with 'too brief on your points, more detail required'

Anling

Local time
-->
^That killed me in english! So frusterating. But I eventually learned to follow the formula of for any point I make in a paper provide at least to references backing it up. After I learned to elaborate english papers weren't so bad. I guess I just considered too much of it self evident and thus not worth writing out.

Red Mage

Local time
-->
Here's one. I am communicating with my INTJ daughter through facebook chat about what's on TV later and she's in the next room. INTP mothering for you.

My cousin, who I used to hang out with all the time when we were kids, is living with us. He's usually in the living room and I'm in my bedroom. We'll talk on aim all the time and when I get up to the kitchen we won't say a single word and then we'll go back to talking on aim.

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 7:28 AM
-->
I can relate to that English essay thing. I had to deal with that for 4 years while doing my degree. In fact it was the main thing that put me off philosophy - the fact that being concise was not valued and you were supposed to blither on about the details. I eventually learnt to just type without thinking, kind of like spontaneous prose, and that helped. Still, I never liked it.

My cousin, who I used to hang out with all the time when we were kids, is living with us. He's usually in the living room and I'm in my bedroom. We'll talk on aim all the time and when I get up to the kitchen we won't say a single word and then we'll go back to talking on aim.

Hahaha love it.

thebarran

Local time
-->
People will talk at me for a while, and I will repeat back what they were trying to say the entire time in a single concise sentence. "blah blah blah." "Oh. So X. Right?"

Just say to them, 'get to the point'.

Saves time.

The Fury

is licking himself.
Local time
-->
This. It's what kills me in english. Every essay I write the marker replies with 'too brief on your points, more detail required'

I remember when I first started interviewing for jobs, whenever the interviewer asked me a question I gave a five second logical response. It's why I spent over half a year unemployed.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I do that sometimes, but I also have difficulty with the opposite thing. I explain things to people, and they try to summarize it... and they're totally wrong! Or they add in assumptions!

Some of my friends are notoriously bad at adding assumptions, so I try to make my answers even more frustrating... to try to help them see the kind of logic I'm using.

oskermire

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 4:28 AM
-->
At the end of every conversation with my mum who lives overseas.. "I love you.." "um okay, byeee" "I love you" "okayy." "I love you" "okay, i have to gooo.. bye!".
Ive never been able to say those words, i honestly dont even remeber the last or even 'a' time i said it... maybe when i was 3 or something. Although i do tell my dog i love him all the time, because he's just so freakin' cute and i dont know if he can understand me.. haha.

oskermire

Redshirt
Local time
Tomorrow 4:28 AM
-->
And i just remembered..
i was driving with a friend last night - we were talking about school and our careers and despite him being very talented in music, didnt pursue a career in it because he wanted to face reality and earn money..

and a little of me died inside.

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Relationship:
Spent half our time together outlining all the perfectly sensible reasons why we shouldn't be together, and the other half working out evolutionary theories for our feelings. The last half was used for romance, Fe and such. It exists in another dimension.

Red Mage

Local time
-->
Relationship:
Spent half our time together outlining all the perfectly sensible reasons why we shouldn't be together, and the other half working out evolutionary theories for our feelings. The last half was used for romance, Fe and such. It exists in another dimension.

Awww that's cute. I hope someday I can have that.

Ermine

Local time
-->
And i just remembered..
i was driving with a friend last night - we were talking about school and our careers and despite him being very talented in music, didnt pursue a career in it because he wanted to face reality and earn money..

I automatically lose a little respect for someone when they don't pursue the career they want. I'd personally rather be poor and happy than well to do and going insane with boredom.

Local time
-->
And i just remembered..

i just hate wasted talent almost as much as someone without ambitions

that idiot is both and i hate him!:(

bdubs

Local time
-->
What I find worse than someone who would willingly give up a job they would enjoy for a higher paying job is when that same person is trying to convince all of his family and friends (or in my case roommates) that it is the correct course of action.

I think the statement "a little of me died inside" is fairly accurate to how I feel when I overhear him talking about his plans or trying to coerce others into following his strategy.:(

edit:This most likely should have gone into shout club.:)

Local time
-->
when i am older, i am getting the word 'Integrity' tatooed on my wrist, and if i do something like that i immediately slit my wrist

i shall never betray!

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 10:28 PM
-->
I saw a sign that used the word 'there' instead of 'their'. I wanted to go over and scribble it out and write the correct word in... I'm not big on grammar, but it bothered me because I keep seeing the sign when I go there.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 10:28 PM
-->
:D Just wanted to see if anyone else would bite, lol.

Ermine

Local time
-->
I saw a sign that used the word 'there' instead of 'their'. I wanted to go over and scribble it out and write the correct word in... I'm not big on grammar, but it bothered me because I keep seeing the sign when I go there.

I get tempted to do that all the time during school. Sometimes I discreetly walk up to the board while the teacher's talking and respell a word correctly when I'm ticked off.

bdubs

Local time
-->
:D Just wanted to see if anyone else would bite, lol.

I would have but while I am naturally good at grammar I am atrocious at spelling. Correcting another person's spelling would seem a bit hypocritical.:phear:

Red Mage

Local time
-->
I only did it for the sake of comedy. A post ranting about someone's simple grammar mistake while making a common spelling mistake just screamed, "point this out!"

FireHawk

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I just make everyone's grammar errors blantantly obvious.

Earlier, me and my older sister (16);

Her: You don't even know how the clichés at school work!
Me: You mean "Cliqùe" right?
Her: No! l dont mean "Click"!

Imbecilic 16 year-olds...

FireHawk

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Yes, and combine that with the factors of;
a. It's 1 A.M
b. I'm on a PSP

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
To be grammatically correct, this would be:

Earlier, my older sister and I (16);

Hang on, that makes Firehawk 16, not his sister, so shouldn't it be

Earlier, my older sister (16) and I

?

I think it's impressive that an under 16 knows the difference between clique and click.

Mars

Local time
-->
The place between places. That's right, code for l
^lol.

In my nursing course we were discussing pain thresholds.

I piped in with 'higher pain tolerance can be sorted by people with different hair colour'

The teacher laughed as if I made a joke and then proceeded to play along a little.

At which point I said. "Actually there has been a study to prove it"

To which the class broke into giggles and laughs. The most offending part was that I was trying to say that redheads have a tendency to tolerate more pain on average [forgot the place I read it] and nobody cared to listen!!!

So I had to content myself with providing the class with a laugh, now if being disappointed at having the facts waived in the face of farce [HA HA anagram!!!!] is not an INTP moment I don't know what is.

'slinger

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Every essay I write the marker replies with 'too brief on your points, more detail required'

Back when I was in school I got this all the time. I remember once I wrote a paper with an insane amount of detail. Utterly insane. I was trying to mock the teacher by doing this. It backfired though. Turns out that was acually what he was looking for.

I think he might have been grading by weight or something? Because no reasonable person would think it was better than what I usually turned in.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
@Mars - I did a search on Google scholar using: redhaired people pain threshold as keywords and these were the first two hits:

Decreased Local Anesthetic Efficacy in Subjects with Naturally Red HairEdwin B. Liem, M.D., Teresa V. Joiner, B.S.N., Kentaro Tsueda, M.D., Daniel I. Sessler, M.D.
Outcomes Research Institute and Department of Anesthesiology, University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky.

Conclusion: A recent study demonstrated that desflurane requirement is greater in redheaded women.1 That finding is extended by our current observation that subcutaneous lidocaine is less effective in redheads than in subjects with dark hair. However, our current results also indicate that pain sensitivity in the absence of drugs is independent of hair color. Increased anesthetic requirement and reduced efficacy of subcutaneous lidocaine in redheaded women thus appear to be pharmacodynamic effects.

and

Increased Sensitivity to Thermal Pain and Reduced Subcutaneous Lidocaine Efficacy in Redheads
Edwin B. Liem, M.D.,* Teresa V. Joiner, B.S.N.,† Kentaro Tsueda, M.D.,‡ and Daniel I. Sessler, M.D.§

Conclusion: Red hair is the phenotype for mutations of the melanocortin 1 receptor. Our results indicate that redheads are more sensitive to thermal pain and are resistant to the analgesic effects of subcutaneous lidocaine. Mutations of the melanocortin 1 receptor, or a consequence thereof, thus modulate pain sensitivity.

from the introduction:

Red hair nearly always results from mutations of melanocortin-1 receptor gene (MC1R).1-3 The human melanocrotin-1 receptor (MC1R) is expressed on the surface of melanocytes and is a key regulator of intracellular signaling to the melanin biosynthetic pathway governing pigment formation. In general, the balance of pheomelanin (yellow-red) and eumelanin (dark brown) pigments determines hair and skin color in the Caucasian population.4 The red hair phenotype results from excess pheomelanin production due to dysfunctional MC1Rs.5,6 In contrast, when a normal (consensus) MC1R is expressed, the predominant pigment produced by melanocytes is eumelanin resulting in a high eumelanin to pheomelanin ratio.
In a previous study, we found that women with red hair required 19% more desflurane to suppress movement in response to noxious electrical stimulation than women with dark hair, making red hair a distinct phenotype associated with anesthetic requirement in humans.7

Always happy to help prove an INTP right

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
It would make sense to me, just intuitively, that red heads would be more sensitive to thermal pain as a survival mechanism- massive amounts of sun touching fair skin= serious burn.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Lately I've noticed that a lot of my conversations within myself consist of me explaining things to myself that I obviously already understand, and then I'm like "Why am I explaining this to myself?" It's kind of hard to turn off though.. especially right before I fall asleep. I'm weird.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Lately I've noticed that a lot of my conversations within myself consist of me explaining things to myself that I obviously already understand, and then I'm like "Why am I explaining this to myself?" It's kind of hard to turn off though.. especially right before I fall asleep. I'm weird.

No way!

I do that frequently and it prevents me from actually progressing anywhere at times...

trife

Redshirt
Local time
-->
for physics class in high school, our teacher wanted us to show all our work. We had to 1st write the formula, 2nd fill in the known variables, then work it out showing each step with correct units. My work was usually numbers written in no coherent pattern all over the page with the answer circled somewhere randomly within. For simple equations, I would just write in the answer.

He took 5 points off every quiz/test for this.

Seriously, do I really need to write f=ma 3 separate times for one simple multiplication problem?

granted, when he would take me aside and ask me how i worked through the more difficult (or as I see them, paper wasting) problems, I could never actually follow what I did. But as I see it, as long as I had the correct answer circled, what's the big deal?

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
-->
In physics I just either do exactly what I'm meant to, all the sums in little rows, or I miss them out altogether, and I've worked it out either in my head, on a scrap of paper, using a calculator if I'm feeling lazy, or if I want to annoy my physics teacher, in pencil which I'd then rub out. I don't get told off as I'm one of two people who actually have a clue about what we're talking about. =/

Ermine

Local time
-->
for physics class in high school, our teacher wanted us to show all our work. We had to 1st write the formula, 2nd fill in the known variables, then work it out showing each step with correct units. My work was usually numbers written in no coherent pattern all over the page with the answer circled somewhere randomly within. For simple equations, I would just write in the answer.

He took 5 points off every quiz/test for this.

Seriously, do I really need to write f=ma 3 separate times for one simple multiplication problem?

granted, when he would take me aside and ask me how i worked through the more difficult (or as I see them, paper wasting) problems, I could never actually follow what I did. But as I see it, as long as I had the correct answer circled, what's the big deal?

That's what gets me in math and science. I hardly ever show all my work, and what does make it onto the paper is very disorganized. I often can't go back and explain exactly how I came to a conclusion.

Local time
-->
I can definitely relate to the '5 seconds or less thing.'
When I speak, I like to use language as effectively and efficiently as possible. I hate it when people blow content out of its necessary proportion just so they have something to say. It's dishonest and pretentious.
This tendency towards concise expression sure doesn't make romance any easier.

With college papers, I would sum up everything I wanted to say in a paragraph and then realize that I still had pages remaining.
I am very critical of the academic writing style:
Sure, there's plenty of merit to backing every single thing you say with evidence and beating every single point to death with a formal method. You might even be able to say this method helps bring one closer to the truth, but by the time an academic is done with a paper, it is in a form only academics can use. What you end up with is a piece of information that is only accessible to experts who already know all about it!

Top Bottom