• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Job/Career Census

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 11:36 AM
-->
I realized that we have a lot of career and job threads that recommend what jobs are good for INTP's, but I want to know what you guys do. If you go to school than tell me what you are majoring in.

O and this is totally of subject, but I didn't want to start a new thread about it. I just invented a way to keep food from drying out when you microwave it. All you have to do is put a little bowl of really hot water in there when you do it. That way the steam will keep it from drying out. Good way to steam food too. I've been microwaving and eating all day!

Edit: Guess you guys don't like sharing? Well, I'm unemployed and trying to go back to school for architecture.

Anling

Local time
Today 12:36 PM
-->
Were I currently employed I'd be a biologist. At least that's what I went to school for. I need to go back to school and get my masters.

DynamicMind

Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
I'm currently still in high school and changing my mind about my career every few weeks. I currently want to do something in graphic design.

I just realized that being paid for being unemployed would be my dream job. Dang, my parents would flip if I told them my true aspirations, eh?

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
I am still in high school like dynamic mind, but I already know I'm going to go into the video game industry. being a game designer is my ideal job right now

Toad

Local time
-->
I just realized that being paid for being unemployed would be my dream job. Dang, my parents would flip if I told them my true aspirations, eh?

Yea...that's my dream job too...

saffyangelis

Bandwidth Angel
Local time
Today 7:36 PM
-->
I'm part of the indecisive stage, but I'm only in high school, so I have time to decide, but currently, I'm debating between Cryptography, Concept artist for video games or illustrator (mainly so I can read all the books =P).

Chances are, I shall change my mind in a while, and end up with a completely different career by the time I'm out of university and everything. I shall have to wait and see =)

Toad

Local time
-->
Wow we have a lot of high school students on this forum.

jarred

Savior of the forum
Local time
-->
I'm a genetics student.

mathy

Local time
Today 1:36 PM
-->
I'm graduating with a BS in Math in 2 weeks (minoring in studio art...). I tried majoring in Electrical and Civil Engineering, and they were meh, so I went back to what I reallty love--math.

Currently work as a Mechanical Engineer... there are some ok parts of the job, but it's not really my thing. Eventually I want to get my PhD in Math and teach at a college level (and do research!).

Broden

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wow we have a lot of high school students on this forum.

Maybe because they are still trying to discover themselves.

I guess I will contribute to the census by giving my HSC courses.
Ext. English
Gen. Maths (apparently doesn't follow the typical INTP, though it helps that it's my favourite subject)
Ancient History
Biology
Legal Studies
Software Design & Development

Carnap

Local time
Today 8:36 PM
-->
I am a certified English teacher (for speakers of other languages), but I don't work. I did English lit and linguistics but it was boring.

I now do philosophy and am heading towards the philsophy of science/medical ethics/biology. I will have to do another degree in science, too. I like other parts of philosophy, too, not just that. But I hate politics.

And yes, Banana Mango, I've done lesson plans. Not fun ! Takes forever ! But it really helps you in the classroom.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Tomorrow 2:36 AM
-->

del

Randomly Generated
Local time
-->
I'm an anthropology and math double major.

I want to do some combination of work in epidemiology, biostatistics, applied mathematics/biomedical research, and medicine.

Currently serving my national service as a private in the Singapore Armed Forces. Landed myself a desk job doing facilities maintenance. Sweeeeet.

Will be pursuing this degree after I am done with my term next year: https://www.digipen.edu/prospective...ee-programs/real-time-interactive-simulation/

I hope the world does not end in 2012 :(

My friend from high school is doing the BFA degree from there. He loves it.

Oblivious

Is Kredit to Team!!
Local time
Tomorrow 2:36 AM
-->
I could sweep the floor at that institution and love it :)

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
Currently a high school (equivalent), but I'm studying Animation next year, although I'd also like to work as a comic artist. (I'm working on the plot/character designs for a webcomic right now, in fact.)

Sapphire Harp

Local time
-->
I'm about one and a half years out of college, and I'm working as a theatre audio technician. (Thought I'd keep it nice and dry for you... :p ).

Juno

Local time
-->
I'm currently working towards finishing my Electrical Apprenticeship and possibly continuing towards Engineering...I'm not too sure about that though :/

meshram.alok

Local time
Tomorrow 12:06 AM
-->
@ Topic

I'm currently on the verge of completing my Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay.

I've secured a job in a Telecommunications firm as a Software Designer, and I'm really interested in pursuing Computer Science as my major field of work. (I think the Electrical Engineering background might help)

Is there someone in this community with some experience as an employee in a Technical firm?

My biggest source of worry is that working in a routine, drab job would be detrimental to my Creativity and even my INTPness. Anyone with such an experience here?

@ Oblivious

That is an extremely interesting field of work. I'm deeply interested in the field of simulation (both Visual and Audio), and Computer graphics is my passion.

I studied OpenGL on my own in my first year, and it's a really fun thing to be able to create immersive, accurate representations of the real world.

Do tell more about your exploration in this area.

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 11:36 PM
-->
i am studying political science full time at PSU. i dont work at all and my parents make sure there is 1k dollars in my account every month. i got 2 Ds and an F last term. i am striving for Bs this term in all 5 classes. iam actually studdying this term. i planed on getting my BA and working for the govornment. now considering trying to go for my doctorate.

i like to learn things but i hate having to worry about grades.

mathy

Local time
Today 1:36 PM
-->
meshram,

It really depends on the company. There are tech companies out there that are so worried about policies and procedures, that the tedious boredom would be torture... On the other hand, there are companies (especially if you are doing software) that don't have as many set schedules. With the company I currently work for, there are some good, relaxed times where I can be a little more free with my schedule, and some times where the guys in management/business position get so hung up on schedules that it drives me nuts. Part of this is because we are primarily a government contract company, and the deadlines are driven by the government. That's what I'd like to get away from, personally.

From personal experience, I have a bit more freedom with smaller companies, but this is not always the case. I know people that kind of "get lost" in the company, who have ample amounts of freedom in their schedules.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Think I've been over the ground in another thread.

But: I are a newspaper editer and I has been a jurnelest for 42 years if you count 7th graed.

I don't know what I'll be when I grow up.

I don't know if I'll grow up.

I don't know if there will be a newspaper next week, next month or next year.

What I don't know adds up to more than I do know.

Tomorrow is a complete unknown.

Bring it on.

:D

meshram.alok

Local time
-->
Thanks, Mathy

But what about creativity? Is that something the firm you work for values, or are they constantly telling you what to do, how to do it, etc.?

Concojones

Local time
-->
Graduated as an engineer (creativity!), although by that time my interest had shifted towards business (meaning!). Currently struggling to find an interesting career in business (main difficulty: finding something I can be passionate about).

I think I'm too independent and demanding to be happy as a employee. I've been thinking of working for a smaller company (more satisfying?), or self-employment (sounds awesome!), but for the latter I'd have to specialize (yuk!) in something, and do the same stupid (?) thing day after day. Solution: become an entrepreneur, but that's not gonna happen overnight, so what do I do in the meantime... trying to find the least sucking job I can find and really make the best of it. I'm not complaining BTW, just frustrated.

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
I kind of have the dream INTP job. I stay home and shlep while my husband works in a job that would cause me to impale myself.

But it isn't perfect because I still have that restlessness. I just know there has to be the perfect thing out there somewhere that's custom-tailored for me and I will love it forever and ever.

Ha.

Let's see-

when I was little I wanted to be a writer, then a veterinarian/animal biologist.

Then I took biology freshman year of high school and it bored the living hell out of me. So I wanted to be a writer.

college majors- English, Forestry, Journalism, Film Production. Ended up majoring in film studies because I was no longer feeling inspired and I wanted to graduate as soon as possible.

Okay, so I graduated from college 11 years ago and I still don't know. I've been working on this novel off and for a few years but I'm stuck in the world of 'P' where I can't settle on which way to go with the plot. That's why I ended up here, at this forum- once again trying to find an explanation as to why I could be so stellar in school and such a indecisive slob in real life.

A number of things interest me for awhile. Then I get bored and I don't know what to do. Librarian?

Latro

Local time
-->
College student, eventual chemist hopefully, though I have at least 4 years to go on that...

Toad

Local time
-->
I think a writer would be a good INTP job. Well, for those who enjoy writing anyways. It lets you be creative. You can write about whatever interests you and you get to work on your own terms.

dents

Local time
-->
+1 for Computer Science. I just defended my MS thesis last week and I'm hopefully getting a sweet job and spending a few years in the industry. Or if that does not pan out, then I'm getting another MS degree in the coming year. The goal is to eventually get a PhD and do research on general AI.

By the way, meshram, I don't think having a CS job would mess with your creativity. I've worked for small companies since 2002 and recently I spent some time at a huge one, but I've never been bored. At some places I had to do mundane crap, but that just meant I would get done with what I had to do quickly and proceed to do something related but interesting. For example, I worked for a department at school that had me update their web pages once every few weeks. I would do that in like 20 minutes and then spend a week dicking around with tying their databases together into a coherent UI. When my boss would ask how I was doing, my work was always done, but I'd never tell them that I was done. Then eventually I would get the side project working and spring it on my them out of nowhere. Nobody, anywhere, ever was disappointed when I pulled that shit. To sum up: mundane work = more time to experiment on your own. I learned much more about CS from "boring" jobs than I ever did in class.

Concojones

Local time
-->
Okay, so I graduated from college 11 years ago and I still don't know. [...] A number of things interest me for awhile. Then I get bored and I don't know what to do. Librarian?
OK, so that's what's in store for me? Great! :D

Librarian: maybe in a small village, where you know people and give them personalized reading suggestions and get appreciative feedback. If that sort of 'librarian' job still exists nowadays. :p

Dream job: I believe in a job where you get to use your different talents (creativity, etc.) so you can really shine and feel great about it. Then it BECOMES a dream job (yes I've had that experience, but it wasn't paid work). If I don't find that within the next 5 years, I'll just turn myself into a contractor that makes good money per hour, and have a life. Maybe an idea for you, BrainEnclosedInFlesh?

[...] I would do that in like 20 minutes and then spend a week dicking around with tying their databases together into a coherent UI.[...] To sum up: mundane work = more time to experiment on your own.
Yeah, that's exactly what makes me tick as well: I see an opportunity and I jump at it. It might be a silly task but it's so much more fun due to the fact that you're not carrying out an order, but doing your own thing. Though, I think that jobs with 20 minutes of work per week and no questions asked, may be rather rare :p

meshram.alok

Local time
-->
I worked for a department at school that had me update their web pages once every few weeks. I would do that in like 20 minutes and then spend a week dicking around with tying their databases together into a coherent UI. When my boss would ask how I was doing, my work was always done, but I'd never tell them that I was done. Then eventually I would get the side project working and spring it on my them out of nowhere. Nobody, anywhere, ever was disappointed when I pulled that shit. To sum up: mundane work = more time to experiment on your own. I learned much more about CS from "boring" jobs than I ever did in class.

That is freaking Awesome.

I chose going for a job rather than an MS because I wanted to rebuild my intuitive hold over Computer Science, which I had lost due to studying Electrical Engineering. But somehow I had this dreadful feeling that I might get too caught up in the mundane nature of jobs, what with all the paperwork, report writing, presentations (I hate that stuff). I thought maybe I wouldn't have any time for any creative pursuits.

Thanks, man. Brings a shimmer of hope in my future.

Top Bottom