• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Fighting Games!

checkplus

un-understandable, deeply devoted, irreparably int
Local time
Today 2:37 PM
-->
I've seen one or two mentions of fighting games around here, but it doesn't seem to be all that popular. Everybody here seems to like strategy and roleplaying games. I have recently discovered fighting games. It's not like an fps where your reaction times are 90% of the game. It really appeals to my intp-ness. We have a serious advantage when it comes to these games. They require an ability to read your opponent based on a fairly abstract bit of information. You never really get proficient at the games and you will never get bored from a lack of challenge.

My favorites are blazblue and guilty gear. They speak to my desire for over the top anime weirdness. If you are willing to get past the time it takes to learn the basics of the game (can take a little while), You will find that you can really put yourself into these games. My reaction time is terrible and I'm still doing pretty good.

jachian

Local time
-->
I've seen one or two mentions of fighting games around here, but it doesn't seem to be all that popular..

My observation as well...... while I love RTS and rpg games however, I started playing video games because of fighting games.

It all began in my youth with the street fighter 2 craze.... and from there I went into Mortal Kombat Series, King of Fighters,........ Tekken and many of the other major series and some obscure ones.

Am not really into guilty gear and many of the newer fighting game series......

Something happened in 2001.... am not sure exactly what happened but the new games series just dont satisfy me on an intellectual level.... I'll probably have to study why.

I remember especially with the Mortal kombat and king of fighters series..... spending hours practicing and memorizing moves, trying different tactics........

I used to go in the arcades in my area and spend hours watching the experts play and compete. also challenging folks I thought were really good.

When not playing I used to go through fights and senarios in my mind. Scary stuff.
There were a few people in my home town that I was gunning for...... I dont know why but I have never been more driven about anything else in my life...... I think i've always been an INTP but at that time in my life when it came to fighting games I oscillated between istp/intp/intj..... its really strange.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:37 PM
-->
Something happened in 2001.... am not sure exactly what happened but the new games series just dont satisfy me on an intellectual level.... I'll probably have to study why.

I'm having the same problem. I suggest trying adventure games (Circa 1990's), they are the most stimulating.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
I really liked Shenmue for Dreamcast, although I guess that wasn't exclusively a fighting game...Soulcalibur and Tekken (really just the third one) also.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I simply love Smash Brothers Melee (GameCube). Brawl for Wii just doesn't do it for me - it's too slow.

Slyphee

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I used to be into them when I just discovered the genre (street fighter, mortal kombat, streets of rage!!), but I've gotten bored of the fact that its essentially always the same with each iteration possibly a new move and an added ending movie. It's kind of like the Fifa / Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, I don't get why people buy the same thing with slightly improved graphics and a few added features (minor changes to core gameplay).

Does anyone else feel that way?

jachian

Local time
-->
I used to be into them when I just discovered the genre (street fighter, mortal kombat, streets of rage!!), but I've gotten bored of the fact that its essentially always the same with each iteration possibly a new move and an added ending movie. It's kind of like the Fifa / Pro Evolution Soccer franchise, I don't get why people buy the same thing with slightly improved graphics and a few added features (minor changes to core gameplay).

Does anyone else feel that way?

Well the fighting genre peaked in the 90's. It is important to note context..... this was the time when the arcades were still pretty big.

For me and many of my friends it was all about developing mastery and bragging rights.......... pretty much like the competitive spirit of say tennis or snooker or poker.
For me this was the turn on.

If my guardians knew how much quarters I stole form them to satisfy my arcade addiction they would whoop me good...... even though am a proper adult now.
Growing up in a developing country at that time, not many of us had game systems at home(SNES, genesis, etc)..... so the arcade was where we satisfied our lust..... and if you got beaten by a challenger.... that's it, no more quarters means no more continues.

So if you really wanted to get a good amount of play time, you needed to develop your skill level to the point were you were not easily defeated......

I remember spending my lunch money to play a street fighter game and getting whooped so badly that tears came to my eyes.......... One of the few times people saw me in tears.....

So the boredom factor really never came into play back then for us..... It pretty much was survival of the fittest......... the challenge helped to keep us coming back. Also, studying the nuances of the different versions was interesting for us.

I think the demise in popularity of fighting games is correlated to the demise of the arcade game industry and in particular the increase in popularity of home gaming systems.
...... You simply cannot appreciate a fighting game if you have infinite continues, are able to adjust the difficulty and have an in-built command list of moves to view at will.

Yes you could compete online, but the arcade setting was better..... and NO I am an Introvert..... very strongly introverted ...... this has nothing to do with the need to have extroverted relationships.

checkplus

un-understandable, deeply devoted, irreparably int
Local time
-->
Well the fighting genre peaked in the 90's. It is important to note context..... this was the time when the arcades were still pretty big.

For me and many of my friends it was all about developing mastery and bragging rights.......... pretty much like the competitive spirit of say tennis or snooker or poker.
For me this was the turn on.

If my guardians knew how much quarters I stole form them to satisfy my arcade addiction they would whoop me good...... even though am a proper adult now.
Growing up in a developing country at that time, not many of us had game systems at home(SNES, genesis, etc)..... so the arcade was where we satisfied our lust..... and if you got beaten by a challenger.... that's it, no more quarters means no more continues.

So if you really wanted to get a good amount of play time, you needed to develop your skill level to the point were you were not easily defeated......

I remember spending my lunch money to play a street fighter game and getting whooped so badly that tears came to my eyes.......... One of the few times people saw me in tears.....

So the boredom factor really never came into play back then for us..... It pretty much was survival of the fittest......... the challenge helped to keep us coming back. Also, studying the nuances of the different versions was interesting for us.

I think the demise in popularity of fighting games is correlated to the demise of the arcade game industry and in particular the increase in popularity of home gaming systems.
...... You simply cannot appreciate a fighting game if you have infinite continues, are able to adjust the difficulty and have an in-built command list of moves to view at will.

Yes you could compete online, but the arcade setting was better..... and NO I am an Introvert..... very strongly introverted ...... this has nothing to do with the need to have extroverted relationships.

Yea, these days we try to get the feel of an arcade, we use giant arcade controllers to get better on, we play in online rooms where we take turns fighting while the others watch, and we constantly try to provide tips for the people we are fighting to help them get better while they do the same for us. I really want to go to an arcade sometime to play against people who are pretty good. Not only is the online play a little flawed, it's just so much better to enjoy your victory when the person doesn't just sign out.

Logos

Formerly Electric Wizard
Local time
-->
Shenmue was an amazing game when that came out! I still play street fighter 2 (turbo hd remix) everytime i get on xboxlive, guile and balrog are my characters.

WeAreTheStrange

shoryuken!
Local time
Today 1:37 PM
-->
second the guilty gear choice.

King of fighters anyone?

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->
Join the club! I love fighting games! (granted i win 1:7 games *sigh*). I play SF4 alot, and i'm saving for Super Street Fighter 4. Here on the West Coast there's a big community for SF4 players, or fighting game players in general.

What attracts me to them is the amount of options you have to deal with each action or reaction ie. Chun mashing jab -> 3x lk -> EX legs -> EX legs -> Kikoshou ultra through a sloppy poke string or failed throw attempt, or just crossing them up w/ jumping LK or something. The variety and the technical data (ie frame data) keep me coming back. If you're on the West Coast, we should meet up some time @ the local arcades in LA or something. Ill show you a thing or two about being a baddie :o

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 4:07 PM
-->
I love Brawl - playing as Snake is definitely the funnest, what with the planning/mind games involved (five explosives on the screen at once? allllllllllllright!) I also enjoy playing street fighter, but I wouldn't buy it/consider it a favourite. I tend to do fairly well against other people, just by merit of knowing what they'll probably do, and then reacting based upon that (although I still get my ass handed to me by people who actually know how to play the game :p)

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I love Brawl - playing as Snake is definitely the funnest, what with the planning/mind games involved (five explosives on the screen at once? allllllllllllright!)

I love Snake in theory, but actually using him really irritates me (almost as much as Metaknight). My main is Zamus.

y4r5xeym5

Lurker Extraordinaire
Local time
Today 1:37 PM
-->
Soul Cailbur! Xianghua and I will dance circles about your moves, mwhahahahah!

Marbas

Keeplookingblowfly
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->
Guilty Gear and Melty Blood are the games of my choice!

Blazblue is kind of lame.

Top Bottom