• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

any one know some good guitar sites?

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 3:35 PM
-->
iam trying to learn guitar after taking a 2 month break and i am trying to find out some info.:evil:

1. how do you play the D7th chord?:airplane:

2. do you know any sites i can get some sheet music from?:D

3. do you know of any music forums where i could go to ask questions?:)

if you know how to strum the D7th chord please tell me. the book i bought yesterday says to strum from the 5th string but in class last term the instructor said you strum from the 4th string.:confused:

Beat Mango

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:35 PM
-->
Ultimate Guitar is really good, I've racked up a fair few posts on their forum actually, there are a lot of smart cookies who post there. You can't get sheet music there but you can get just about any tab.

D7 chord: in theory you can play the 5 string, as that's an A, which is part of the D7 chord. In practice, though, you generally wouldn't play it, as you want the bass note to be the root note (in this case, D). But look, if you think it sounds better with the A, play it! If you think it sounds better with the E, play that too. That's what it's all about really: putting your own spin on things.

Good to see you're learning guitar btw - to say it was the best thing I ever did would be a massive understatement.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 3:35 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I haven't experimented too much with different sites, but www.ultimate-guitar.com is great for all of those things. You just have to ignore all the idiots and pervs in the off-topic section of the forum. The forum is otherwise very helpful, and the tab selection is HUGE.

For the D7 chord,

--2-----------------
--1-----------------
--2-----------------
--o-----------------
--------------------
--------------------

The lines are the guitar strings, the numbers are for the frets to press, and the o means open, if you are familiar with online tablature. As for whether to use 4 or 5 strings, it really doesn't matter, since both D (4th string) and A (5th string) are in the D chord, so it sounds fine. It will only be a slightly different voicing. Just use whichever is more comfortable.

EDIT: Argh! I just said the same thing as BM too without reading first. By the way, I'm also a member at UG and used to be a regular, but I got sucked into the swamp known as the pit and have avoided the place for a couple years.

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 8:05 AM
-->
Another great guitar site is justinguitar.com...not too much in the way of tabs/sheet music, but the site has excellent lessons on a wide range of stuff (blues, jazz, rock, scales, chords), and a supportive/open forum community. The instructor's also pretty personable (it's very odd how it comes across so strongly, considering they're all internet videos)...

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:35 AM
-->
I highly recommend infiniteguitar.com
You get access to many video lessons in many different styles from beginner to advanced. You must pay a small monthly fee, but it is worth it. The site has some awesome instructors; Tom Quayle and Rick Graham to mention the most high profiled ones. Youtube them if you'd like.

For music discussions I hang at the johnpetrucci.com forums. Many great people there with big insights. Regarding chords...what are your goal with guitar? To learn a couple of tunes?

There are plenty of chord books and sites out there that will give you different ways to voice different chords... but personally, if I were you..after learning a couple of the stock voicings, I would try to learn how chords are constructed and how to construct them on the guitar. Instead of memorizing hundreds of "grips", you would then know how chords are built up and you could come up with your own voicings instead.

mfratt

Local time
Today 6:35 AM
-->
cyberfret.com is a great resource. Lots of tutorials and videos, music threory, etc.
I refrence cyberfretbass.com once in a while for tidbits too.

If you want to learn raw theory, www.teoria.com has some amazing tutorials and training exercises (including ear training)

D7 = Root + M3 + P5 + M7
D + F# + A + C#

Find those four notes anywhere on the fretboard and play them together and you have a D7

Jazz

A cool cat.
Local time
-->
all-guitar-chords.com is by far the best website to use to learn how to play.

niteshift

Local time
-->
Hey Ghost,

You can try Fender Forums , they've got some great jam tracks. Or so I'm told. You're talking to a keys player here. :cool:

cheers, niteshift

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
Today 3:35 AM
-->
I just started playing again and this site really helped me. It has video lessons from this guy named Justin, he's the best teacher I've ever had.

http://justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

His techniques to teaching is really good. I also like his british accent...it's very soothing. Awesome for beginners.

Edit: I just realized Jaico already listed this site :o

So Ghost, how far along are u on the guitar now?

@Jaico: Yea Justin does seem very personable. It's like he's in the room with you. He makes me happy learning from him. He's definitely an ExFJ.

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 3:35 PM
-->
So Ghost, how far along are u on the guitar now?

i am having a hear time dealing with the beats of songs. i can look at a pice of music and tell what the beat is but if i take that same song and listen to it, i will have no idea. i dont think i have any natural rhythm. i cant seem to tell from listening id its 4/4 or 6/8 or any other rhythm.

other than that i seem to be doing fine according to everyone else. iam a perfectionist so nothing is every truly good enough but i am making progress. i do need to pratice. more than once a week though.

floccinaucci

homunculus
Local time
Today 6:35 AM
-->
The best thing I can tell you is to find a band you really like and strive to play like them. for me it was a metal-core band called Catherine. They just seemed to make me want to play everyday, and i got better(can play their whole collection:D) Also on your journey you'll meet amazing guitar players who are more than willing to share info,tips and tricks. keep rocking brah!!

Top Bottom