• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Weird eccentric INTP stuff you do

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 4:20 AM
-->
I do the exact same thing! Its gratifying to realize I'm not the only one.

Ditto, I re-enact past conversations in the way I wish they had gone, or imagine future ones in the way I hope they will go. Only speaking my parts of course. Slightly awkward when I'm overheard.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 3:20 PM
-->
Hahaha it can get veerry awkward when overheard.

Emelina

Local time
Today 12:20 AM
-->
I sometimes have long monologues with myself, and when someone bores me I can be kind of rude - I just grab a book or kindle and start reading, or retreat into my mind and think of something more interesting. For example, there was someone who liked to submit me to the agony of watching movies, and one time they noticed that I wasn't even looking at the screen. It's not that I hate movies by the way, what I hate is having to direct my attention to one that doesn't interest me for 2+ hours.

I used to be kind of OCD when it came to language, I felt like I had an aneurism every time someone mispronounced a foreign word for example. I always, ALWAYS research what I'm hearing or reading, I need to know what the word means and how it's pronounced. It doesn't bother me anymore though, and I have the habit of mispronouncing some words on purpose to see the other person's face. I feel a special joy when the victim is like I used to be :D
I also sometimes forget what I'm doing and spill things. This must be pretty common.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
In Israel (where I live) everyone swears in Arabic or Russian or English, in fact I can't think of any real swear words in Hebrew, I just don't think they exist. I went through a phase of swearing in German also, but now I swear in Arabic or English. I think Arabic is the best language for swearing in, it's like it was made for it! I imagine Japanese could be good for swearing too... gotta learn some Japanese swear words.

Does anyone say לאזעזל (spelling?) or בן כלבה? I'm currently learning Arabic, but my teacher hasn't yet taught us to swear. I can sort of swear in Russian.

@higs - I also re-enact past conversations and imagine my future the way I would like it to go. I often wonder if people think I'm insane.

Starswirl

Local time
Yesterday 10:20 PM
-->
Ditto, I re-enact past conversations in the way I wish they had gone, or imagine future ones in the way I hope they will go. Only speaking my parts of course. Slightly awkward when I'm overheard.

Hey, that's what I do!

If I anticipate having a conversation with someone, I enact it in my head. The other person doesn't say much, but they do sometimes say meaningful things based on how I analyze their personality. I probably "talk" to my imaginations of other people as much as I do to real people. Sometimes these imaginary conversations even give me frustration or stress.

So perhaps I'm not crazy, but instead just a normal INTP?

Question

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
I am always listening to music, and my teachers realized by now that I can participate in class with my headphones in, and I excel without really listening to them or taking notes, so I am aloud to constantly listen to music. When I am in a social situation (like being in a van full of friends) I will go about half of the time talking and shit, then put my headphones in and not listening to anyone, and just sitting there thinking.

Question

Redshirt
Local time
-->
When at my lunch table with all my friends I will sometimes put my headphones in and walk out of the cafeteria. Then I will just walk around until the next class begins.

Sorlaize

Burning brightly
Local time
-->
doing funny faces in the mirror. Easily 5 minutes of entertaining myself

getting REALLY into music. I'm doing it right now. Restless leg syndrome and all up to my head, bobbing myself 150% enthusiastically to the music.

sometimes will have pizza and chips for breakfast. fuck the police

what I really want to have is quotes on the walls all over my room. and visually pleasing digital pictures/art

sometimes sleep in the day and wake up at night, although I'm trying not to. Today I again woke up thinking with my mind well active, but at 5pm this time. I keep sleeping for 12h at a time, bad habit. I don't work and I really can't wait to get my own place, I'll start to forget what day it is again, and just get 100% immersed in what I'm doing. I miss doing that at uni, I would take a stroll to the shops at 5pm when it wasn't too bright, then come back and get lost in programming to the complete silence of the night. Ahh... and anime in the early mornings when I was too tired to think. It's relaxing to fall asleep while other people are busy, then.

I don't buy new clothes.. I don't wash very regularly.. I refuse to spend money on pretty much anything I don't really need. General non traditionalist. Football? Olympics? not interesting. Birthdays? I try to make every day a good day instead.

I recently ate beans egg & sausages from a foil bag on the move because I needed to get to the shop. It was good. Way better than buying food out.

'L' is most likely not an INTP. He is far to forward with his thought processes on reaching a direct conclusion and explains them in more of an INTJ manner. We have a much harder time figuring out exactly how we arrived at the conclusion. Sorry, the constant fan-dom(most likely spelled wrong, correct me if so) of 'L' from Deathnote drives me nuts.
noooo I built my identity on L

"L CHANGE THE WORLD"

Question

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sometimes my train of thought goes into hyper drive and I find myself thinking about something entirely unrelated to what I was thinking seconds before, not even knowing how I got there.

SOLROCK

Local time
Yesterday 11:20 PM
-->
I always take stairs two at a time. I've memorized the usual stairwells in my daily routine and take either one step at the beginning or not to get to the top by only taking two stairs at a time. I've done this so often that when I reach a new staircase I can usually tell of I have to take one beginning step or not.

phantom

Eschewing Obfuscation
Local time
-->
Like many above, I zone out while talking to people. I have a complete inability to process verbal directions, even if I am paying attention.

When I am alone, my internal dialogues sometimes become out loud without my realizing it. It must sound really strange to anyone passing by, me having a really technical philosophical argument with no one. I also sometimes argue out loud with books I'm reading. My roommate finds this amusing.

I get really nervous before meeting with or calling anyone besides my closest family members and friends, even if it's someone I know well and it's a totally casual/routine situation. I rehearse what I'll say beforehand, because I'm afraid I'll freeze up during the conversation, but it never goes the way I rehearse.

I have a really hard time following movies because I can't remember names and faces. I often forget people's names if I'm asked or if I find myself suddenly needing to refer to them (not close friends, but sometimes people I've been acquainted with for a couple years).

That's all I can come up with atm.

shortbuss

Local time
-->
I make the horrible mistake of being honest about what I think, which I think makes people hate me. I'm not good at acting in accordance with what other people want to hear, and honestly I would like to be better at being a phony when it suits my interests, but I'm just so much happier being straight-forward and make the fatal mistake of assuming that other people will be straight with me in return. Really, I think people hate me sometimes. What I have to say is considered boring if it's intellectual, or rude if it's considered vaguely controversial...I'm not trying to be an ass...I have a way of failing in social situations that is totally unintentional.

Those people that say to be true to yourself can bite me.

Local time
-->
I pull out individual strands of my hair and break them between my fingers consistently when I am lost in thought.

Mortal

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:20 AM
-->
i dont find myself eccentric. but i guess people do find it eccentric when my inner world is spinning and then i accidentally let it manifest on the outer world while im on the streets

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hmm... that is odd.

The biggest thing for me is probably my goofiness. I'm laughing as I write this post right now. If I get tickled enough or depending on my current environment it could be hard for me to try to be serious. While other times it's hard to get me to crack a smile for anything, yet I feel like I'm in the same mood all time unless I'm upset which is rare.

One really strange thing that I do is I count the lines dividing the lanes on a highway. I sometimes even tap the lines as the car goes by. There's other stuff but I don't remember them all.

When I was a child I use to pretend that I was an evil telepath that could destroy objects as they pass by the car. I would pretend that the world lied in destruction as I passed. I probably good that I didn't have telepathy at that point in my life.

However, I did use the force to make a box fall down a stairway once. Granted it was most likely random luck but it was still cool.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I can't stand people talking BS to impress others regardless of what topic/subject the BS is relevant to. I also don't like listening to friends who are talking about someone I don't know.
I usually listen to music or get away from them to stop my ears from bleeding.

I can't stand to look people in the eye either it give me a head ache I am not sure why.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Dude. You are awesome.
Sometimes before walking into a store or something I practice what I'm going to say, and go over all the possibilities of how they'll react and prepare all kinds of contingency plans.
I can relate to almost everything that was said here in some form.
Whenever someone says to me "what's up?" or something like that (my most hated phrase in the whole world) I'll just smile awkwardly and mumble something in response. I realized that as far as they're concerned I just rudely ignored them. Now whenever someone says that to me I suspect they might just be saying it to make fun of my inability to respond, because I can't conceive of any other reason why someone would ask such a stupid meaningless question.

I practice what I am going to say to others all the time. However, I am not sure why I am notoriously bad at predicting how others think. Most of the time conversations go way better in my head.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
apparently i talk to myself. only realised this when my mum asked me not to talk to the ghosts and talk to her instead. actuallly, i just talk to people in my head, but only say my part of the conversation out loud.

here's another thing, rules for walking up the stairs:
1. always start on the left foot
2. try to end on the right foot
3. if 2. is not possible, when walking down the same flight of stairs, start with the right foot, so that you will end on the right foot
4. if the steps aren't too high for my short legs, i'll try to walk up two steps at a time. when this happens, the above rules still apply.

I talk to myself too. Its not all ways speaking my part of a conversation that is only happening in my head. I do that too. Mostly I just talk to hear what I have to say its strange I know. I try not to talk to myself in front of other people.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
-->
I pull out individual strands of my hair and break them between my fingers consistently when I am lost in thought.

I tend to twirl my hair often when thinking or a little anxious.

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
sidenote: that chick move where ladies will scratch their head, starting from the bottom work their ways up, and sort of ruffle it all at the top? yea. drives me insane for some reason.

Tunes

Redshirt
Local time
-->
When I eat and combine foods such as chips and salsa as an example, I have very specific ratios for how much salsa goes on how much chip that I don't necessarily dislike deviating from, I just prefer to eat them together with that ratio. So I often break my chips into smaller pieces before use. the same applies for the amount of sauce I apply to a particular forkful of steak. or how much cheese is in certain places on my sandwich judging on how thick the meat is in some areas so I break up my cheese and place it accordingly. I memorize the number of steps in staircases that I use more than three times a week. I also don't like almost all television shows or movies because I can't stop thinking about how the actors are only acting and are basically lying to me. not that I hate them for it, just kinda ruins the show for me. And when im thinking rather hard, I pull all of the sleep off my eyelashes and people think im pulling my actual eyelashes out but I'm not.

EvilBlitz

Local time
-->
It drives me nuts to have any watches, rings or long sleeve shirts. I terribly dislike any feeling of restriction around the hands and lower arms.
I will consistently roll up sleeves unless it is very cold. I will even wear thermal t-shirts so I can get away with not wearing long sleeves or jumpers.
I feel I am more productive like this, I don't know why.

When I go into very deep thought on something I find it freezes my body completely, irrespective of what I am doing.
When I am thinking of something involving moving the body, that body part will normally have to move, even if I just want to run through the movements in my head.
Conversely I can get strange looks while walking down the road with the odd random pause or a flick of the leg out to the side...

I find that If I close my eyes or stare at something that does not require much visual processing my hearing seems to dramatically increase in ability. I noticed this as I was finding it much easier to listen to people and their viewpoints when I am typing up an email at work and they are talking to someone else. So I am trying to do this a bit more now to see if it helps me understand other peoples side of the story(though It does feel kinda impolite.)

I enjoy eating foods in the wrong weather. Like ice creams when it is winter. When I lived in Romania they thought I was nutty eating ice-cream when it was snowing.

I don't do it anymore due the ex-wifes influence, but I would always enjoy showers so hot it felt like it was almost burning your skin and simultaneously scratching the area that was getting almost burnt. Strangely I do not enjoy hot pools.

I have often scratched myself till I bleed. No I don't have jock itch or other such thing, I just enjoy the sensation all too much sometimes.

When eating food and drinks, I do not like mixing too many different foods or flavours together(1-3 seems optimal). So I will drink orange or orange and mango juice, but I do not like tropical flavour as it has too many flavours together(even though I like them all individually).

Also I never have hot drinks, only ever cold.

Gata, I think that should do.

MikeTheSurfer

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My thing is that I think I have a witty and ground-breaking response simply by reading the title of a thread. So I skip to the very end, post my reply, and consider the thread to have really started.

Seriously, though (well, I was a little bit serious), one of the things I do is behave in illogical ways. For example, I still don't find it logical that many people think illogically. I should know, from learning about different personalities that illogical thinking is perfectly logical. Millions (billions) of humans are programmed that way, and it's illogical of me to assume that they should be logical.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Today I spent 14 hours editing my music collection.

1)I went threw and removed all duplications
2)I edited all the titles not remove all ()'s,{}'s and []'s
3)I deleted all live tracks (I personally think they are of less quality that studio tracks)
4)I edited all the Titles, Artist, Genres and Album Titles to have correct capitalization.
5)I edited the Artist so that only the main artist were presented.
6)I removed all the Intos, Interludes, Outros form the Album I owned as well as all the talking tracks I could track down.
7)I removed all the Karaoke/instrumental (as in instrumental for vocal songs not all Instrumental)
8)I also removed all songs less than 1:00 minute and over 10:00 minutes long.

I edited my current song list down form 3634 to 3046. This is all good and well but I acutally had other things that I was suppose to do today. My problem is I completely lose track of time and I can get obsessed with non important tasks at the cost of time that I need to complete tasks that are more important.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
One thing I do, that my girlfriend HATES, is I chew my tongue when I'm concentrating.

I chew on my tongue too when I am thinking hard. It is one of my less appealing habits.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sometimes my train of thought goes into hyper drive and I find myself thinking about something entirely unrelated to what I was thinking seconds before, not even knowing how I got there.

The hyper drive brain is one of the biggest draw backs for me as well. I am not sure if its caused by my personality as much as a side effect of my ADHD. I can be thinking of something and my brain just skips 5 to 10 steps and head and by time I realize this I can get completely lost in my own thoughts. I think my Chewing tongue thing is also a ADHD thing.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It drives me nuts to have any watches, rings or long sleeve shirts. I terribly dislike any feeling of restriction around the hands and lower arms.
I will consistently roll up sleeves unless it is very cold. I will even wear thermal t-shirts so I can get away with not wearing long sleeves or jumpers.
I feel I am more productive like this, I don't know why.

When I go into very deep thought on something I find it freezes my body completely, irrespective of what I am doing.
When I am thinking of something involving moving the body, that body part will normally have to move, even if I just want to run through the movements in my head.
Conversely I can get strange looks while walking down the road with the odd random pause or a flick of the leg out to the side...

I find that If I close my eyes or stare at something that does not require much visual processing my hearing seems to dramatically increase in ability. I noticed this as I was finding it much easier to listen to people and their viewpoints when I am typing up an email at work and they are talking to someone else. So I am trying to do this a bit more now to see if it helps me understand other peoples side of the story(though It does feel kinda impolite.)

I enjoy eating foods in the wrong weather. Like ice creams when it is winter. When I lived in Romania they thought I was nutty eating ice-cream when it was snowing.

I don't do it anymore due the ex-wifes influence, but I would always enjoy showers so hot it felt like it was almost burning your skin and simultaneously scratching the area that was getting almost burnt. Strangely I do not enjoy hot pools.

I have often scratched myself till I bleed. No I don't have jock itch or other such thing, I just enjoy the sensation all too much sometimes.

When eating food and drinks, I do not like mixing too many different foods or flavours together(1-3 seems optimal). So I will drink orange or orange and mango juice, but I do not like tropical flavour as it has too many flavours together(even though I like them all individually).

Also I never have hot drinks, only ever cold.

Gata, I think that should do.

I can't ware a watch either nor do I were long sleeves I get agitated by them. However, I can were coats and Hoodies without any problem just not long sleeve shirts or watches.

I never felt my body freeze up when I think. I actually am very fidgety most of the time.

I ease drop in other peoples conversations all the time. However, I don't have the best hearing. I still find it interesting to observe other people lives without there knowledge I don't use this against people. I use the information to better understand people as most people think differently then myself.

I eat Ice cream in the Winter but that not saying much I eat it in the summer too. I just like Ice cream it has nothing to do with the weather for me. I also drink lemonade in the winter and Hot Coco in summer. My wife finds this weird but its not a weather thing for me.

The Hot shower thing isn't something I do. I take hot showers but I don't like getting burned and I only itch if I am itchy.

Also I mix food and drinks all the time. Not always successfully but I love trying new things and so I experiment with my food daily. I have made some awesome food in the past and some awful food too. My only problem is that I can never recreate food/drinks that I liked.

I am not a huge fan of Hot drinks. I do like Hot Coco and Hot Cider but I don't drink Coffee or Tea or any other hot drinks.

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
I wear pinhole glasses in public. It makes it really hard to see. People treat me like I don't exist which is a relief.

I address my mother as "mam" (rhymes with jam).

It's hard to think of more because I spend like 95% of my time alone.

Lepidoptera

Restless Wanderlust
Local time
-->
I obsessively try to remember and record my dreams (32 pages of content, now!).

I hate it when my footsteps are loud.

I MUST have an apple after dinner. Always.

I love phosphorescence and can be entertained by it for ages.

Obsessed with isolation and wilderness.

I keep my food separate from other things - no mixing the mashed potatoes with anything, man. Nada.

When I close my eyes, illustrations (not photograph-esque images) that I don't think I have seen before pop into my head and I try to recreate them in photoshop.

I like taking walks at 3 AM.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I obsessively try to remember and record my dreams (32 pages of content, now!).

I hate it when my footsteps are loud.

I MUST have an apple after dinner. Always.

I love phosphorescence and can be entertained by it for ages.

Obsessed with isolation and wilderness.

I keep my food separate from other things - no mixing the mashed potatoes with anything, man. Nada.

When I close my eyes, illustrations (not photograph-esque images) that I don't think I have seen before pop into my head and I try to recreate them in photoshop.

I like taking walks at 3 AM.

Who doesn't like taking walks at 3 AM that when everyone else is sleeping. I peaceful.

Local time
-->
Like many above, I zone out while talking to people. I have a complete inability to process verbal directions, even if I am paying attention.

When I am alone, my internal dialogues sometimes become out loud without my realizing it. It must sound really strange to anyone passing by, me having a really technical philosophical argument with no one. I also sometimes argue out loud with books I'm reading. My roommate finds this amusing.

I get really nervous before meeting with or calling anyone besides my closest family members and friends, even if it's someone I know well and it's a totally casual/routine situation. I rehearse what I'll say beforehand, because I'm afraid I'll freeze up during the conversation, but it never goes the way I rehearse.

I have a really hard time following movies because I can't remember names and faces. I often forget people's names if I'm asked or if I find myself suddenly needing to refer to them (not close friends, but sometimes people I've been acquainted with for a couple years).

That's all I can come up with atm.

I do the same things and I sometimes have been called out by friends about these. It makes me a bit more self-conscious but I still do these eccentricities.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I do that and occasionally talk to myself. I consider it self-narration as it is usually just a means to sort out my thoughts. It can get really jumbled in there, if you know what I mean.

Random Fact: 'L' is most likely not an INTP. He is far to forward with his thought processes on reaching a direct conclusion and explains them in more of an INTJ manner. We have a much harder time figuring out exactly how we arrived at the conclusion. Sorry, the constant fan-dom(most likely spelled wrong, correct me if so) of 'L' from Deathnote drives me nuts.

I just bought a 1997 Saab 9000 Aero for $2295 and I know virtually nothing about cars except I knew I was getting a good deal.

Hehe...when my classmates say something idiotic or something that makes me mad I speak to them in Spanish whilst signing American Sign Language, the look on their faces is just priceless :D.

That.. is.. awesome.

- I forget where I put things almost instantly. I barely pay attention to when I'm doing something because I'm usually too wrapped up in thought and then I have to retrace my steps. I continuously lose my phone because of this. It took me 6 hours to find it.

Same... lighters.

I don't know if this has anything to do with "INTP", but I have an embarassing and strange habit. If I'm sitting down and I get lost in my thoughts, or I come up with an idea or thought, sometimes I will, without even realizing it, jump out of my seat and start pacing around. Often times I will walk in circles or patterns. If there's stairs nearby, I'll run up and down the stairs. It's just a compulsive behavior. My legs carry me away without my own knowledge. Then I'll realize that I just did that, and try to calmly walk back. I've done this at school, work, and even other people's houses. I don't realize I'm doing it until I've already made myself look insane.

People always tell me I am making them nervous when I do this.

When I am with someone in public, I try to put them in awkward situations that I know will make them very uncomfortable.

For example:

-My ex-girlfriend(INFJ) and I would go grocery shopping. Whenever we passed a black person, I would say with a fairly loud voice "WOW. Can we not make RACIST jokes? Getting kinda old." Got her every time.

-My friend and I were at target buying some whipped cream for god knows what(I think his mom asked him to run to the store). So when the cashier looked at the lone can of whipped cream she was scanning, I pointed at my friend and said "Sometimes he can get really kinky". After his face turned bloodshot, he insisted that I was joking. I then said "Wow. Everywhere we go you do this. Its like you are ashamed of us."

I was literally crying when I fist read this.

I think this comment is highly underrated.

OK now mine. I get this song by Creed stuck in my head a lot (I don't even know the name of it) and whenever I do, I clench my jaw and switch the pressure from one side of my jaw to the other going with the beat of the guitar. It is always the same pattern but is not always one side then the other; at a few points in the song I do the same side twice.

Minicool

The Lazy Thinker
Local time
-->
The odd thing I usually do when I think about a idea, is I chew some paper for few minutes.
Maybe is the hunger or the need of gum but I do this when I'm near my bathroom.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
Hmm..let us see.

I pace back and forth when thinking or arguing. (at home)
Brainstorm out loud when I have problem. (at home)
Frequently, go off on tangents when in conversation with people I'm comfortable with being around.
I sneak up behind my mom when she is in the kitchen. She gets pissed.
I have a tendency to twirl pencils in my left hand when bored. (in class)
When in public I mumble to myself analyzing the appearances and possible personality types of the people around me.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 3:20 AM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
when it's hot out i take off my pants when im indoors, the thing is it doesn't matter were or what's going on at the time. i even did it at my cousins birthday party, though he was 5 and thought it was a great idea and followed my example.

Stellar

Local time
-->
Hmmm... I wouldn't say INTP things, i'm bad at coming up with shit when on the spot so I'll just list things that have happened to me within the last few days.

- The other day I took the key out of the ignition before I actually parked my car because I was in a hurry. I didn't notice I hadn't parked yet so I was sort of just there with the car off, car rolling away for a brief moment.

-Today I tried cracking a tomato because I thought it was an egg, and then realized it was a tomato.

-I incorporate colons a lot into my conversations, and i'm not sure why. I think it is just coincidence. People think i'm obsessed with colons and asses.

-I have really vivid day dreams where I physically see everything happening in front of me and because of this I chuckle or laugh out loud often at random moments. I also laugh out loud lately at my internal dialogue. People are usually confused by my random laughter when they first meet me, since we'll be sitting there eating for example and i'll just laugh so they don't understand where it's coming from.

- I cannot go on elevators without laughing so hard I pee myself. Friends know to avoid them with me when going to class or something. Some didn't believe it was that much of an issue when I first told them, so they pushed for us to just try it. I usually agree to just on it since I did warn them and I know it's easy to play off with someone else there. I always try my hardest not laugh but I always explode with euphoric laughter to the point where I can't breathe, and I try playing it off with whomever i'm with pretending I remembered something funny and saying out loud "I just remembered when the lizard bit you earlier" or some random shit to validate my laughter.

It really does suck when it's just me on an elevator on my way to class or something with strangers. I always end up laughing or you can clearly hear that i'm attempting and straining to hold my laughter, and so I end up getting stared at so I take out my phone and try to pretend something was funny on it. Those seconds on elevators seem like minutes when i'm laughing. I don't enjoy all eyes on me so you can imagine how awkward the situation is.

-Despite all of these "laughter" incidents i've had, most things aren't funny to me. To an extreme. Colons are though, sorta.

I'm just awkward in general... sorta sucks. :evil:
That's just random shit I could come up with off the top of my head.

ActiveMind

Local time
-->
I crack myself up all the time, plus I have conversations with myself. Very normal. IMO.

dream&bass

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I pretty much wear the same outfit every day (many deviations of the same style). I like my image to be consistent if I go out.

NullPointer

Local time
-->
The "phasing out of conversations" thing has been mentioned a few times, although I usually try to cover it as well as I can by trying to guess whether they made a joke, or said something serious, and either laughing or making an appropriate "hmm" noise , depending on which one it was. Actually, this happens most of the time, in most of my conversations, and it does sometimes backfire. I'm not sure if there's a good way to recover if you use the wrong response, as I've laughed when someone asked my name, for example.

Another frequent one is suddenly bursting out laughing when walking down the street or in lectures. It's exacerbated by trying to suppress it, so it usually manifests itself in fairly formal situations, and/or around a lot of strangers. I know that's not exclusively an INTP thing, and I believe it's referred to as "the giggles", but it's probably a product of general social awkwardness. As an example of this effect in action, I had a lecturer who sounded like a Bond villain (complete with Slavic accent), and had a tendency to have his lapel mic too close to his mouth (so it sounded like he was yelling all the time). As he was trying to drive home a particular point, he swung his arms around, speaking frantically about finite state machines, and accidentally held down the "next slide" button on the remote control in his hand. The lecture slides zoomed past, flashing like lightning, and it ended up looking so disproportionately dramatic that I burst out laughing, multiple times, until the end of the lecture. I couldn't go to any more of his lectures, because I would be suppressing laughter the whole time, so I just went by his online lecture slides. For the record, it was a room of 300 people, and nobody else was laughing beyond the first 3 seconds.

The act of putting on facial expressions in front of the mirror for entertainment was mentioned, and that's also something I do a lot of. Consequently, I've developed fairly conspicuous facial expressions, and I've recently become aware that I look extremely grumpy when I'm walking down the street.

Other than that, I guess there's also the matter of missing turns, and walking several blocks too far before realising what's happened. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as it's varies the route I take at least.

Oh, hey, is anyone else a fast walker? I prefer to overtake anyone walking the same direction. Actually, that's probably to avoid being late (although it isn't always enough to prevent that).

If you read all that, you deserve this elephant:
:elephant:
If you didn't read it, you don't get the elephant.

Last edited:

Abe

So many witty things to say, so few people to tell
Local time
-->
I reserve eating gummy bears for the times when I'm upset. (But gummy worms are okay for any occasion)
I rip things up into tiny pieces while I think.
When I'm in the middle of reading a book (even if I've sat it down to take a break) I hate when people try to communicate with me.
When I can't sleep I put my feet in the air and think.
I knock on wood for jinxes.
I always try to keep my breathing quiet, even when I am exercising.
I whistle anytime I'm happy.
When I am eating a meal, I finish one food then move on to the next. For example, I never eat a bite of potatoes then corn then potatoes. I also don't drink anything until I'm through eating.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 1:20 PM
-->
In line at a cafe, was standing behind someone who looked eerily similar to my partner from behind. So I momentarily started thinking about my partner. After about 10 seconds I snapped back to reality, but I was still thinking of my partner, and forgot entirely about the fact that I was in a cafe and it wasn't actually her. So naturally because she was on my mind, I went to hug the total stranger from behind.

It was only at the last second when my arms were both outstretched and almost grabbing her that I realised what I was doing, and I recoiled awkwardly. I then stood there and glanced around nervously, to notice this couple sitting nearby staring at me. By this point the almost-victim of my hug had finished her order, and the barista was looking at me - she'd already asked what my order was...she laughed, waved her hand and repeated her request, 'hellooo? Can I help you there?'. Now the girl I almost hugged is looking too, as I stand there stretching and doing shoulder shrugs apparently oblivious to the fact I'm next in line.

My mind returns to reality and I manage to say, 'umm...ugh...oh...hi..sorry...just a green tea..'. By now I'm blushing, because both baristas, the couple at a nearby table and girl-I-almost-hugged are all giving me weird looks. For the duration of the rest of my time in the cafe, I put on a stoic face and death-glared directly ahead at all times, not even looking around the artwork inside the cafe, lest I accidentally make eye contact with one of the other patrons who had potentially witnessed my supreme display of awkward.

I cracked up laughing when I got into my car at the whole surreal awkwardness of the situation. Even though this sort of thing happens to me from time to time, I still find it fascinating that being reminded of one familiar thing can cause me to lose all outside awareness as I start thinking about it.

deephuggin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Either I'm crazy or you people are over-analyzing things (heh) because I apply for at least half of these, not to mention about a million different things ranging from constantly having to move (it helps keep my train of thought), to yelling incoherently at strangers (source of enjoyment).

Also, when I was younger at some point I remember believing in my heart of hearts that my dad could read my mind.

That can't be a good sign.

chatelking

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:20 AM
-->
I don't think my behavior is weird, even though some people point it out.
I like learning foreign language, very foreign. Like Welsh and Scottish. I'm from Indonesia, so is it count as weird? I don't know, I don't think so. But people do. Pftt
I also not interested in gossiping, I read conspiracy theory books and documentary.
If that's weird, so be it.

NSINTP

Local time
-->
I outwardly laugh at my own internal thoughts, much to the confusion of others.
I talk to myself and sometimes "answer" my own questions, which is usually the verbal expression of the sudden realization of the answer.
I have a tendency to, usually at the most inopportune time, forcibly blurt out the word, phrase, or thing I had been trying to think of and had put on the back burner some time prior...even weeks prior.
I refuse to repeat myself more than three times...if you didn't pay attention the first three times then I'm not going to waste any more time, even to the chagrin of others.

Local time
Today 3:20 AM
-->
I play this odd game in my head. Like sometimes I make a condition for what I happen to be doing at the moment. If I'm shooting a paper ball into a basket, I would say "ok, if I make this shot, I'm gonna be a millionaire" or "if I make this shot, my crush likes me". It's developed into an unhealthy habit lately

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 1:20 PM
-->
Talk to myself, helps me focus my thoughts. Sometimes I'll full on debate with myself or any 2 sided convo with myself or just narrate how I'm feeling/thing about.

I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings when in thought. Recently I'v been doing 'reality checks' just making sure where I am/what's going on. lol
I'll do things without paying any attention to what I'm doing. I went to a poker night at a friends and made myself a coffee. The coffee was in a bright orange container and the sugar in a bright blue one. Of course I put the lids back on the wrong way around XD much to my friends amusement.

I have no concept of time.

Chrono

The Lurker
Local time
-->
I space out without even noticing it, so I'll have no idea what happened. It was pretty bad in school :P

Sometimes, I like having a debate in my mind just to figure out the pros/cons of stuff. :kodama1:

Whenever I want to draw, I just use my finger and draw stuff in the air, and usually I can visualize whatever I'm drawing. My friends think it's weird. Plus, I have a habit of drawing question marks in the air whenever I'm confused. :smoker:

Top Bottom