• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Megalomania

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 9:48 PM
-->
Have any of you ever had recurrent megalomaniacal thoughts? So you think that you could make the world so much better with your knowledge and thus dream up insane plots to take over the world? I like to call it the "brain complex"

Are all INTPs hopelessly frustratingly idealistic?

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 4:48 PM
-->
Affirmed megalomaniac. But well tempered by the realities of the world's shortcomings. ;)

Radioactive_Springtime

Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->
I'd say I'm split 50/50. About half the time I believe I could make a perfectly wonderful benevolent dictator. The rest of the time I don't even think I can run the smallest aspects of my own life without completely screwing it all up. As for Idealism, I think I abandoned that for cold realism a couple years back.

murkrow

Local time
-->
I never want to be a dictator.

If there is a second coming then I am he.

Frosty

Local time
Today 1:48 PM
-->
Megalomania +1 here. I occasionally start a conversation with my wife with "You know, if I were supreme dictator, I would ..." and ramble on and on about how I'd fix things. But you definitely would not want me running the show. The bleeding hearts (mostly liberals) would hate me. ;)

Linsejko

Ghost of עמק רפאים.
Local time
Yesterday 10:48 PM
-->
In the center of the world. (As opposed to the ear
I could do the world quite a bit of good if I were in place as benevolent dictator. However, I stopped desiring the position at age 13, when I decided it was far too selfless a cause to be worth it, and taking over the world is so stressful & difficult, everyone who has tried it has failed, and it's just a ton of work...

Then everyone wants to kill you, because they won't understand.

Just.... blah. Taking over the world is not the most efficient way to change it for the better.

.L

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Sometimes. Half the time I'm brutally realistic, the other half I'm hopelessly idealistic.

Me too. It's like the seasons. There is no plausible scientific explanation other than it's an extremely complex cycle coupled to the crossing of Neptune and Pluto's Orbits together with the color of the clothes I wear in any particular day, the amount of spam on the internet, and the number of years my mother-in-law removes from her age. (Hey, it's better than palm reading!)

I could do the world quite a bit of good if I were in place as benevolent dictator. However, I stopped desiring the position at age 13, when I decided it was far too selfless a cause to be worth it, and taking over the world is so stressful & difficult, everyone who has tried it has failed, and it's just a ton of work...

How lazy and self-centered of you. The Brain never gave up! Oh I see. Forums are easier, right? You tyrant! :D

Maybe I'll just become a school teacher. Or a parent.

Actually, when my megalomania finally subsides, it is because I reach the same conclusion. Too selfless. Too complicated. Won't last anyway.

Then everyone wants to kill you, because they won't understand.
There's always mind control. Seriously now, I'm currently re-reading (again) Huxley's Brave New World. Dystopia? Every time I'm reading I think... that would actually be kinda great. Cloned, programmed, happy people. Happiness is an illusion, after all right? Just chemicals. Why not be honest, and just drug ourselves happy with Soma?

I repeatedly wonder what does the Pope think? How many secrets are hidden by the church in their archives, etc? I mean, it is a position of amazing power, unconstrained by 4 or 6 year terms, democracy, lack of funding, and with international influence. What evil plots and dirty deeds of history do we know nothing of?

Maybe the conspiracy theorist in me is just my frustration because I haven't read Foucault's Pendulum yet. :(

Just.... blah. Taking over the world is not the most efficient way to change it for the better.
So what would be the most efficient way?

Cabbo Pearimo

Local time
Today 4:48 AM
-->
It's what makes us better people.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Perhaps when I was a kid, but honestly, I don't recall having such thoughts. I've often thought "If I were in charge of..." where I was thinking of something specific and narrow (like a classroom, for instance).

Regarding politics, however, I was jaded at an early age. My father was always very cynical of politics and politicians and had a lot of negative things to say and so I've grown up assuming that the governing of the world is pretty much beyond redemption.

Dave

ncyte

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Not so much dictation but a revolutionary impact. When I thought of the role as a leader it was too irrational to embrace the idea of ultimate altruism as an extreme necessity. No one person has the natural ability to accomplish it even with the best of intentions really. Life would become overwhelmingly obscure in quest to please and persuade everyone. Too many variances in beliefs and values amongst billions too try and decipher and juggle. Those who have attempted failed, due in part because shaping the world according too the way we see it only makes it convenient for us not for everyone, even if our intention is the most sensible approach. Nobody could ever be perceived extraordinary enough to hold the keys to the world and if anyone could then the amount of competition faced to achieve it would be astronomically unreasonable. Needless to say... its not worth it.

Usually, I was only megalomaniacal about impacting society with a revolutionary discovery of some sort maybe an invention, philosophical concept or medical breakthrough. I always thought changing the world according to the way I seen it was easier done through advocating a philosophy or presenting sound theories rather than physically subject myself to vast criticism as a dictator. Watching a change occur from a distant seems much more appreciable when years pass before anyone recognizes the significant influence it had. I'd much rather be remembered as on born before his time watching from afar than being out in front.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 3:48 AM
-->
Well I'm not sure about this one.

It would of course be brilliant for me, and the like minded if I controlled everything and everyone, but would it really work?

I think I'd rather be part of the main 'party' I'd be in control really, only subtly so.

We could always establish a joint Intp dictatorship, although i can see that getting bloody..

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Benevolent dictators are better than elected morons!

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->

I am certain that there are millions of people who's lives, in the great stream of history, will be totally intrascendental. If by living, I am by default making the world better... then so is everyone else (and not a good job at it apparently). There must be something else.

Benevolent dictators are better than elected morons!

Since democracy is the tyranny of the gullible majority? I guess some of us just would like a more straightforward, honest system.. that does something useful besides perpetuating its own power.

murkrow

Local time
-->
I am certain that there are millions of people who's lives, in the great stream of history, will be totally intrascendental. If by living, I am by default making the world better... then so is everyone else (and not a good job at it apparently). There must be something else.

Living and surviving aren't the same thing.

Pursue life and you'll be a force for change.

Olba

Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
I cannot really say that I'm a megalomaniac. For one, I see the obvious flaw known as point of view. That is, what is good for some might not be good for others. If there's only one person who decides about everything, there's bound to be a lot of unfairness in the society.

Another point could be called lack of perfection. If I were to try to steer the society towards perfectness, the only thing I would end up doing is chasing after the impossible. So in the end, I would be nothing but the monarch or dictator of the whole world. Which really doesn't look too good in a CV.

So in conclusion, I don't see myself as superior enough to give to the society everything that is seeks. Therefore I see no reason to even try. I'll just settle for changing something smaller.

Local time
-->
Have any of you ever had recurrent megalomaniacal thoughts? So you think that you could make the world so much better with your knowledge and thus dream up insane plots to take over the world? I like to call it the "brain complex"

Are all INTPs hopelessly frustratingly idealistic?

Probably. I get that way often. I call it the Pinky and the Brain complex. :rolleyes:

See, there I am thinking how clever I am again! LOL!

Leafknight

Redshirt
Local time
-->
East coast USA near the mountains and the sea
I'd say I'm split 50/50. About half the time I believe I could make a perfectly wonderful benevolent dictator. The rest of the time I don't even think I can run the smallest aspects of my own life without completely screwing it all up. As for Idealism, I think I abandoned that for cold realism a couple years back.

I was going to make a detailed response to Tekton's original post...then I read Radioactive_Springtime's post above. Cut and paste (and credit attributed!). That perfectly sums up my answer too.

Last edited:

tfa1

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Certainly I have megalomaniacal thoughts from time to time. I've always wanted to fix the rampant unfairness in the USA, for example. But then I realize how hard it would be to conquer the greedy morons working to preserve the status quo, and survive their wrath.

Artifice Orisit

I sometimes wonder if the only thing stopping me from trying to take over the world is that I just don't feel like it. What would happen if I woke up one morning with the will to do whatever it takes (regardless of morality) to acquire wealth and power. To disregard the laws of mankind and kill anyone in my way for the sake of convenience.

However if I ever did that I'd never be able to stop, I could never go home, I could never again really become a member of society. Is becoming the proverbial wolf really worth losing the comfort and security of the proverbial flock?

Hmm, this could make a great retirement plan. Nothing left to lose, everything to gain.

ShaiGar

Local time
Today 1:18 PM
-->
You tell me...

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/DenArquivista said:
My name is Shai Gar. Above all things I desire power. Power through whatever means possible, Political, Economical, Military, Dark Magic, or Psychological. Towards this end I spend a majority of my time in study of all these pursuits.

My role models are:

Napoleon Bonaparte
Genghis Khan
Aleister Crowley
Gandhi
Richard Branson
Carl Jung,
Mao Tse Tung
Nikolai Tesla

I am so god-damn hot that sometimes I periodically burst into flame. or I would, if I were not also so god-damn cool. I'm also one of the few people you'll ever meet who is Truly Lawful Evil. I am an ENTP, fucking intelligent, no scratch that, extremely Brilliant, Calm, Reasonable, Perceptive, Intuitive, Brilliant, Misanthropic, Emotionally Detached from the world and all of you 'tards, and did I mention Brilliant? Yeah that's right I did, but since I am more intelligent than anyone else on this planet, it gets a fourth mention. Brilliant.

Decaffeinated coffee is like sex without penetration, honestly what is the fucking point? - Shai Gar

THE LHC IS BEING SWITCHED ON! This could be it... Our last action as a species is to push the red button :( Who wants to fuck?

I am an epistemological philosopher, with interests in just about anything that interests me. I am an anarchist, in the REAL political sense of the word. I am a poet, artist, satirist, supervillian, batman, superman, a kender, raistlin majere, nakor, gingerale addict, Ubuntu/OpenBSD/FedoraCore/SGOS User.

I am very very Nationalist, In that I hate all nations, and the idea of nations even more. When I look at human history, geography or politics i look at it from the point of view of an alien stumbling across earth for the first time. No Nations, No Races, No Religions. Just subspecies of the same Species on the same planet that has only 1 ocean, 4 continents and people doing stupid things. There are no fucking nations, just people who agree that there are. People do not matter to the universe. Only The Physical Universe Does!

I tend to get severely misinterpreted.

But only because I constantly say that I am in fact the Incarnate of the Universe. Life is what you make it, and I have made insanity. Doubt not what you are told of the world. Doubt not that which is impossible. Doubt not those that come bearing the parables of Shai Gar. Doubt not the stream of consciousness that rules unforgivably. Or You Might Be Normal, Fuck being normal. Also fuck everything else too, I do not like people and even more than that, I hate those who would urge or force others against their will to combine into a society merely because they find themselves lacking in some form. Ehyeh asher ehyeh is one way of putting me, and probably the most logical, as i am a Chameleon, a disembodied mind, an ENTP criminal terrorist in the makings (if I wasn't so lazy) and most dangerously of all, An Individual who wants to know all that there is to know, and quite possibly screw every attractive female geek on earth.

Would that I could lock myself away from the world with a copy of every manuscript ever written or to be written, with perhaps a few companions for both sex, conversation and continuation of my sanity. As this would probably be illegal in "The Free World" I have instead decided that I shall study marketing and psychiatry and then take control of the northern territory, making it my own nation. I shall be a Dictator, Probably a fascist, and most definitely the Religious lord. It'll be fun.

The most Romantic thing anyone has ever told me:

(11:26:22 PM) Morgy Says: and if it [sexual intercourse] ever happens between us, I'll supply my own coat hanger

Aurora

Local time
-->
Taking over the world is too much work. I don't want to have to think about the welfare of so many people. I'd rather just concentrate on myself and my own happiness.

ElectricWizard

Local time
Today 11:48 AM
-->
If I ran for President of the world, my platform would be abolishing the position of 'President of the world'.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->

ShaiGar

Local time
Today 1:18 PM
-->
Screw democracy, what has it gotten us besides a lot of nutjobs and genocidal psychopaths who work for their friends. Elect me Emperor for Eternity of Australia and you'll see real changes. It'll also be the last election you ever participate in, cause I'm abolishing them.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
Megalomanical thoughts are fun, a great pastime. Have you ever thought up some twisted conspirecy theories? try that next time you are bored and on the shitter.

Artifice Orisit

I'll vote for you Shaigar, just as soon as I bother registering.

Artifice Orisit

I don't understand, what do you mean by "first against the wall"; I was planning to elect him to power, become his second in command, then assassinate him personally. Les habiles tyrans ne sont jamais punis!

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
You mean I'm not the all knowing, all being, benevolent ruler of the world?

I really need to do a better job of distinguishing between the real and the fantasy.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Sometimes... *evil laugh*.

But seriously, INTPs would be one of the best idea-come-up-with people, but not the actual implementers. We'd be already off to the next idea before actually getting things done.

We're also not extorverted enough to get certain groups of people to follow us, most likely.

didyouknow

Local time
Today 1:48 PM
-->
Taking over the world, INTP style

I'm curious. If you had the motivation (or enough INTJ friends) to take over the world...how would you do it?

Artifice Orisit

Re: Taking over the world, INTP style

I would use a very subtle method that brings the world under my control without alerting anyone to what I'm doing.

Then brag about it on an internet forum. :D

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

I'm curious. If you had the motivation (or enough INTJ friends) to take over the world...how would you do it?
OF COURSE I HAVE NEVER EVER THOUGHT OF SUCH A THING!
(but if I had...)
I would build a Schumman resonator (See Wiki) projector
(like the ones the Aliens use when they abduct people)
It would provoke primitive responses from the Reptilian brain
See http://www.crystalinks.com/
I could cause people to do all sorts of things
Freeze, fight, flee, fall asleep, get hungry etc.
I could do this without being identified as the
instigator, so I would manipulate people
one at a time, bend them to My Will...
(maniacal laughter fades into the distance)

Or I would just control the info..

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

Or I could take over the humans' minds directly,
once I got rid of that silly Cognitive Liberties group...
See http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/project_index.htm ..

(Maniacal laughter once again recedes into the distance...)

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

Or I could take over the humans' minds directly,
once I got rid of that silly Cognitive Liberties group...
See http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/project_index.htm ..

Or...
I would gene-splice a virus
to produce massive amounts
of Anti-Viagra
Then once impotence
got to Pandemic proportions
I would announce to the entire World
That I and only I,
Can offer a cure...!

attachment.php

Last edited:

Artifice Orisit

Hmm, this one has potential.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Threads merged.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Wait, did I get that right? I hope both of those threads actually were about the same thing.

Loveofreason or Ogion, if I got this wrong, feel free to re-split this.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

attachment.php

Crap! I always mess up the punchline...
(see above!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom