• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do we always contradict ourselves?

Mello

Gone.
Local time
Today 11:37 AM
-->
Well, not always but most of the time. I say one thing, then argue against it. It's kind of funny, but stupid. It makes sense and yet it doesn't. I don't know. :confused:

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
Self-reply: I think it's that we think about what we said and prove to oneself that there is another possibility. And the possibility just so happens to be contradictory most of the time. Well, not exactly prove but think about how what we said isn't necessarily true or false.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:37 PM
-->

NothingTodo

Local time
Today 2:37 PM
-->
It might be because we over thing things so much our answer constantly changes. or maybe because were just insane.:confused:

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
To mentally explore the possibilities of course. There is no rule set in stone.

Luminates

Local time
Today 7:37 PM
-->
It might be because we over thing things so much our answer constantly changes. or maybe because were just insane.:confused:

I hope your not right on that second note.:slashnew:

If I think about it, I do contradict myself from time to time. It's usually when i'm in an argument of some kind, and it just becomes one sided. I then say something that contradicts with my last statement, and thous it's born. Not to sure as to why though, could be that we think way to much about whatever and we "thought" we were right when in reality we came up with the real answer later or right after the previous so called correct answer. Thous we contradict ourselves.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I throw contradicting statements into arguments to confuse the hell out of the opposition.

ktp

Local time
-->
I do it because I want to consider all perspectives. I know I'm never correct, and I need something to validate my doubt.

amorfati

Local time
Today 1:37 PM
-->
My mind has been locked in contradiction for so long that I've been forced to re-evaluate what a contradiction really is.

I think most contradictions are false, in that they are not even contradictions, but more like a fallacy of human thought/perception that begins when we assume that something is "either/or" without ever inquiring as to whether the object in question may only have perspectival value.

Mints

Memori Mori
Local time
-->
One word: Skeptisism (is that well written? :confused: )

We are, because of P, skepticals, therefore, we will consider every point of view with none in a particular preference (...that may just be me but we DO consider every posibility). Most people have a set point of view-which they speak-, so when we state one point of view it is considered that it's our point of view (and it may be it). When we say another point of view, it contradicts the previous point of view, so we end contradicting ourselves.

I think I don't contradict myself but people think I contradict myself. I never have a proper point of view until I have seen all of them and chose the best :confused:(which is called contradictorial, as I explained, because people speak their point of view, not various points of view so they think we are changing ours).

lafmeche

Inmate#2626
Local time
-->

If I think about it, I do contradict myself from time to time. It's usually when i'm in an argument of some kind, and it just becomes one sided. I then say something that contradicts with my last statement, and thous it's born. Not to sure as to why though, could be that we think way to much about whatever and we "thought" we were right when in reality we came up with the real answer later or right after the previous so called correct answer. Thous we contradict ourselves.
I know he/she is right about the second part :storks:

I do it because I want to consider all perspectives. I know I'm never correct, and I need something to validate my doubt.
Really though, I think this is it. It's a completely automatic thing that I do and, while people think I'm strange if I let them me catch me talking to myself, I wouldn't trade it. It helps give me perspective.

Last edited:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

Exactly. If someone DARES to make a judgment, in or out of argument, in front of an INTP, the INTP has to bring the situation back into balance even if it was the INTP him/herself who made the original judgment.

White Rabbit

windhopper
Local time
-->
Sometimes, I wish it would just slow down and let me take a break from all the good and bad bullshit.

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
We wish the world was black and white, with one clear wrong and one clear right.
We struggle with absolutes that don't exist, too easy to pick apart half-truths and myths.

Moocow

Semantic Nitpicker
Local time
-->
I throw contradicting statements into arguments to confuse the hell out of the opposition.
If you invalidate yourself intentionally, does it still count as an argument?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 9:37 PM
-->
Its out of the norms but argumentation is a course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating a truth or falsehood, so technically...

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
Today 8:37 PM
-->
I do it, because I can also understand the logic behind the opposite of what I`m saying. Since it`s logically valid how can I ignore it just because it`s not the first thing that came to mind? I have to keep developing both ideas until I find the one that's more true and I have more arguments to back it up.

But most of the time I`m aware that I`m contradicting my self and try to stick to ideas and arguments that are consistent, because otherwise I might be viewed as indecisive and incapable.

Luzian

Local time
-->
Contradiction is a word made by Js

People tend to only understand simple things, and INTPs are forever cursed to simplify their incomplete thoughts. Simplified blanket statements are bound to be contradicted, and who other than masochistically truthful INTP would correct himself?

MrBlah

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Well I think what I'm going to say has been covered here already but my view on it is that in our search for what is true and 'right' we almost always must consider all arguments. The contradiction occurs because generally all arguments have some truth or deeper insight into the issue at hand otherwise they wouldn't be worthy enough to really consider them as arguments. INTP personalities generally see this in the sometimes conflicting views and end up flipping between both sides trying to find which is 'more true'.

Hope that came out the way I wanted it to haha :confused:

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't know. I find myself contradicting myself for absolutely no reason at all. I make a point in a certain class and I go off thinking, "That wasn't entirely right...."

I guess it's because we love the truth, we love being right and we love knowledge. We (or the ones who said so) hate ignorance and stupidity (which by itself is a very broad definition) or emotional attachment to concepts and thus we analyze everything that we have said to make sure that we were right.

Adamastor

Local time
Today 3:37 PM
-->
I am not content with things. Well, I can't be satisfied with something for much time, thus I am always looking for new things.
Its just a matter of sticking here and there, anyway I am bound to contradict myself. I guess this simply enchances the probability of it happening or maybe I am just dumb :(

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
I am large, I contain multitudes.

Thank you Walt.

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like the argue on behalf of the losing side. I start arguing for the losing side, then it becomes the winning side, and I switch to argue on the now losing (but was once winning) side

Robbaz

Local time
-->
We know the importance of "not contradicting the truth", rather than "not contradicting ourselves". I believe that we don't particularly care if we contradict ourselves, because making sure we know the truth is more important.

It annoys me when it happens because I feel like I can't make solid, unwavering decisions, but I'm also glad that I'm not so unbendable. No one knows everything and I think we realize that on a constant basis. I would rather be perceived as someone who changes their mind, (may be contradictory to some), than someone who is unbudging and annoyingly unswayable. Even when new facts come into play....

WorkInProgress

I use metaphors to show how deep I am.
Local time
-->

Same here, though my reason is more to give them a fighting chance and keep the debate interesting

Well I think what I'm going to say has been covered here already but my view on it is that in our search for what is true and 'right' we almost always must consider all arguments. The contradiction occurs because generally all arguments have some truth or deeper insight into the issue at hand otherwise they wouldn't be worthy enough to really consider them as arguments. INTP personalities generally see this in the sometimes conflicting views and end up flipping between both sides trying to find which is 'more true'.

Hope that came out the way I wanted it to haha :confused:

It did. We scan for inconsistencies between them and use our judgment to conclude which is the more 'right.' Trouble is sometimes we have to make the decision before we've finished this process, like when asked about a new idea in conversation, and so we'll have to correct ourselves a few times as our brains are still picking it apart after we've given an answer.

Anling

Local time
-->
I think I contradict myself because I can't help but see all these other possible interpretations. The simple statements that most people want when communicating just can't capture the full nuances of the truth.

AutumnTree

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I think seeing things from different perspectives is verry important to us INTP. That is probably why we contradict ourselves.
I do it mainly for the sake of getting closer to the truth, but also to make sure that no-one will come up with a point of wiew I have not considered yet and defeat me in a debate. If I do the discussion with myself first (by contradicting myself and do a monologue in my head) and come up with an "improved" oppinion (that is, closer to the truth) I will be prepared for the real debate.

Another example of putting things in perspective is that I always defend someone/something when it is atacked verbaly. Especially when there is no other defence or when the defence of this something is weak. Even if it is something I do not like in the first place I side with it; I sometimes find myself defending despots and madmen. I think it is because of the principle that there should be more than one point of view.

A bit like Fedaveen's side-with-the-underdog mentality, but slightly different.

Robbaz

Local time
-->
If I do the discussion with myself first (by contradicting myself and do a monologue in my head) and come up with an "improved" oppinion (that is, closer to the truth) I will be prepared for the real debate.

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that has this inner-debates in my head. I often catch myself talking to myself in my head and actually arguing or having a debate about random things I'm doing or going to do. Although, if someone else besides me could only hear my inner-debates - they're pretty entertaining and informative..... Unfortunately, those thoughts will never come out verbally as well. (I'm even inner-debating right now about how I inner-debate myself). Pretty funny and sad!

I think that's why we aren't as quick on our feet in debates. We have to process the information first to get closer to that truth. I don't know if that makes us more equipped for better decisions than our lawyer-type friends the ENTP, (simply because we really process the information before uttering out our first thoughts), but there's no doubt that we make better decisions than any of the xxFx types.

Metsuki

Teh idiot
Local time
-->
I usually do this to see if a certain theory of mine has any flaws

JohnnyBravo

Newbie S***
Local time
-->
Consider internal debate issue X. It can be any issue under the sun, be it something complex like the existence of infinity, or something simple, such as whether or not I am going to go to the bar or stay in for the night. I am arguing some issue with myself constantly. Every issue must be picked apart and analyzed completely.
Should someone interrupt my internal struggle, they may very well be greeted by contradictions, and whatever was going on in my head is now being argued aloud. Conversely, should that same person get to me after I am done arguing that point, and my opinion differs from theirs, they will meet the most stubborn jackass they could imagine, because I know that my opinion is fact... until the opponent introduces information that I had not yet considered. Then the contradictions begin again until I either realize that they are right, or realize that the unconsidered tidbit introduced by my opponent was flawed, at which point I revert to stubborn jackass.
This of course applies only to those I ssues that I have more than a passing interest in. If I really don't care about an argument, I sometimes argue either side of it just to be entertained. In these situations I will sometime throw in contradictions just to keep others on their toes.:p

Cheshire Cat

You think you know anything? I know differently.
Local time
-->
I'm so happy to see that I'm not alone in my self-contradiction. I think it's because when we think of something, we try to refine our thought. (as if it's almost an instinct) So we begin to debate with ourselves, to bring the truth down to it's basest level.

AutumnTree

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Unfortunately, those thoughts will never come out verbally as well. (I'm even inner-debating right now about how I inner-debate myself). Pretty funny and sad!

You say it is unfortunate that our thoughts don't come out verbally? For the most part I'm just happy I manage to keep them to myself, as I fear It might look like I wasn't thinking out loud, but talking to an imaginary friend, which would not be good for my reputation. I might also appear to have quite a few bats in the belfry (does people use this expression?) if I did.
:smiley_emoticons_mr < something like this.
But, well, considering the common good maybe it would be better if they did leave our heads once in a while.

It could probably also be related to the fear of being wrong, about being as close to the truth as possible, debating and contradicting ourselves. Or what do you people think?

NeverAmI

2^(1/12)
Local time
-->
I can't talk verbally because either someone's head explodes or their eyes glaze over after about 15 "Actually, wait a minute...'s" I do it so often. I constantly have to throw out disclaimers too. I don't necessarily mean or believe what I say, it is all hypothetical/theoretical and is subject to change at any moment.

Actually....

hehe, j/k

Top Bottom