• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do people get so fucking offended if i fucking say fuck?

k9b4

Banned
Local time
Today 6:38 PM
-->
If I say fuck you to someone, what does that even mean? It doesn't mean fucking shit. All it really means is that I don't fucking like that person.

It's not like I'm telling someone that they are ugly and stupid and nobody will ever want to have sex with them. I'm just saying fuck you.

I think it's because fuck is an emotional word, when you say fuck people automatically think you're being emotional. I'm actually not fucking emotional at all right now, but maybe it seems that fucking way to you because I'm saying fuck a lot.

What the fuck?

What's wrong with using fucking emotional words anyway? If the only reason people don't fucking like saying fuck is because it implies emotion, what's wrong with having fucking emotions?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 5:08 AM
-->
If saying fuck doesn't matter one fucking bit, then why the fuck are you fucking saying it so many goddamned fucking times?

...as a side note, my mom is 71 and went to the movies with two other women (younger than her by about 10-15 years). They went to see "Gone Girl." My mom couldn't stop talking about how bad the movie was because they used "the F word" all the time. That's what she calls it. "The F Word." It sounds like a TV show or something.

Inside my head, I was like, "There are SO many things in that movie that you could be offended by, and the word 'fuck' is really the most surface and least of them." A good description of that movie is, "Those are two of the most fucked-up people I've ever seen in my life." [The main characters just do some really messed up shit to each other.] It was funny how hung up she was on a simple piece of vocabulary like the word "fuck." However, I really think for her generation, that was a pretty heavy-duty swear; for mine and younger, it could just be a flexible word that means many different things.

Examples:
WTF?
Fuckin' A!
You fuckhead
That's some fucking good shit!
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
oh god i want you to fuck the hell out of me
Fuck you!
Stop fucking around.
Oh fucking hell...
Unbefuckingleivable!
(etc)

My ex-MIL, same age, only says "Damn" when she is really really really angry, and anything else is just not acceptable to her.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
You are too edgy for this forum. Get out.

k9b4

Banned
Local time
-->
You are too edgy for this forum. Get out.
Fuck you.
However, I really think for her generation, that was a pretty heavy-duty swear; for mine and younger, it could just be a flexible word that means many different things.
But why does saying any swear word cause offence? They're just emotional words right?

What's wrong with expressing your emotions?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
You do realise you're begrudging someone's emotional response to the expression of emotions?

and yes, I realise I'm doing the same

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 7:08 PM
-->
Swear words are good at relieving pain/stress etc... However like most things you need a bigger dose to get the same effect eventually. Thankfully I don't need to swear yet so I'll have the most effective pain relief for when I die/get my arm chopped off.

Yes I totally mean what I just said no sarcasm at all, completely legit. :D

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 3:08 AM
-->
potatos have no arms @Gopher

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Most people don't mind if you say fuck. It's not that you say fuck you, it's that you say fuck you.

k9b4

Banned
Local time
-->
Most people don't mind if you say fuck. It's not that you say fuck you, it's that you say fuck you.
My mother gets really upset if I say fuck. I don't even say it in a malicious way - I say something like 'what the fuck' and she gets all upset.

Cæilon

Searching for Ràilona
Local time
Today 10:08 AM
-->
My mother gets really upset if I say fuck. I don't even say it in a malicious way - I say something like 'what the fuck' and she gets all upset.

Why do you say fuck all the time?

vladmirus

Anti-Conventionalist
Local time
Today 12:08 PM
-->
Although a good old FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK is nice, I love indulging into more creative badmouthing.
example: Strolling along a path when some guy pushes me randomly: "For fuck sake, you retarded. cunt faced, undercover uncle fucker... watch where your sperm filled arse goes. I am not your fuck buddy ... stop butting the fuck in everywhere, you make man-sluts look bad. and by the way you're fat!"
Luckily for my health I mostly say this in my head, except in traffic!

vladmirus

Anti-Conventionalist
Local time
Today 12:08 PM
-->
But seriously, I find Fuck saying more of a bad habit than anything else. and I feel we use it for lack of a better word to use.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 11:08 AM
-->
One have to fuck to figure this one out.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
fuck works fine, among other more depthful swears
my problem comes when i have to say fuck --> god <--. Here something makes me feel guilty. i believe this is due to my traditional sj education in a nuns ruled school since i was 5 to 10 years old.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I don't find any curse words offensive in the indignant sense, although I do find repetition of the same curse word grates on my nerves. Like, in the same way that like, people like, say like a lot, like you know what I mean it's like you know just like the worst!

The effect of expressive terms is reduced once they become commonplace in dialect. I'm more offended by that than any particular word itself.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
fuck works fine, among other more depthful swears
my problem comes when i have to say fuck --> god <--. Here something makes me feel guilty. i believe this is due to my traditional sj education in a nuns ruled school since i was 5 to 10 years old.

You want to fuck god?

Holy fuck.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
i don't mind others saying it :D
i like holy fuck btw, i have no problem with its pronuntiation

maybe i'm not that agnostic, the problem comes when i fuck with god

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
Oh fuck fuck. Does saying it twice have the same effect?

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
some people are intent on making life difficult for themselves by caring about stupid shit

BrainVessel

Tony Blair's scrotum
Local time
-->
In a small Haitian tribe of despondent pantomimes
They've been told that using such words are dishonorable and make you look like less of a human being and never ask why

Herd mentality encouraging people to care about four letter words over world hunger, tyrannical governments, etc, etc...

I think it's less of them seeing you as emotional and more as them lumping you into the category of thug or something. Just generally who they hear utter curse words in the media and public education systems.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 11:08 AM
-->
Fuck references fucking, in some way or another somewhere down the line. I presume for most, this(fucking) can feel good or bad. Not so much in between, as is why the word is used metaphorically.

Some will say it almost automatically if something unrelated feels great (probably those who often have orgasm). Others when things are bad. Due to bad experiences?

It's not a word synonymous with either good or bad. Therefor can influence the one receiving it opposite of what is intended.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Swears seem to revolve around taboo / unclean.

- Sexual words
- Defecation words
- Deity names

doncarlzone

Useless knowledge
Local time
-->
It's all about context. In Danish it's pretty common to say: "It's cancerkillme unbelievable".. Yep that sounds disturbing, but once you have said it enough times, the original meaning is lost. Today it could accurately be translated to fucking.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
It's all about context. In Danish it's pretty common to say: "It's cancerkillme unbelievable".. Yep that sounds disturbing, but once you have said it enough times, the original meaning is lost. Today it could accurately be translated to fucking.

Yeah, it's just filler-word I think at this point.
But people not exposed to it in that way tend to take it literally.

As an interesting side note, the word "cunt" is not a popular word in the USA... it seems to be in the "pretty bad" category, it's not really a word to use and especially not in public mixed company. However, from my experience with europeans online and some other nationalities, it seems to be used far more casually, more like bonehead or jerk.

Local time
-->
As an interesting side note, the word "cunt" is not a popular word in the USA... it seems to be in the "pretty bad" category, it's not really a word to use and especially not in public mixed company. However, from my experience with europeans online and some other nationalities, it seems to be used far more casually, more like bonehead or jerk.

not really, it's still pretty taboo for much of society.

i use it as often as possible in the feminist interest of securing equality amongst dicks and cunts.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I think cunt is commonly used in Brittania, probably because they have a queen and she has a cunt

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
off with his dick!

1085526-queen_of_hearts__wallpaper__copy.jpg

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->
I think cunt is commonly used in Brittania, probably because they have a queen and she has a cunt

I was once given a ten pound note, on one side someone had written 'nothing personal' and on the other 'you cunt'.
I thought this was absolutely hilarious and decided to keep it.
But yes, cunt is an extremely popular word in England at least.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 2:08 AM
-->
Fuck is so 8th grade.

It's all about cunt these days

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 11:08 PM
-->
If I say fuck you to someone, what does that even mean? It doesn't mean fucking shit. All it really means is that I don't fucking like that person.

It's not like I'm telling someone that they are ugly and stupid and nobody will ever want to have sex with them. I'm just saying fuck you.

For me, if I say "fuck you", it will mean more than "I don't like you". It means I don't give a shit about your well-being or helping you and pretty much wish you the worst. And I think some people are bothered when they see other people feeling that way because they want people to be ...I-don't-know...pleasant or something. Cursing then tends to be not only an expression of emotions, but also negatively charged to some people and so they want to eliminate it or see it as bad.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
People are offended by "fuck" because it's a naughty word. People use "fuck" because it's a naughty word. You can't use a naughty word and then be upset that people find it naughty. If you wanted to use a non-offensive word, you could. I mean, the word is appealing to us as children and young adults because it is a naughty word. You feel cool, grown-up, rebellious, etc. and then it becomes everyday. I swear all the time in perfectly mundane situations because I find it funny, and occasionally to add emphasis to my statements. But the only reason those words are funny or emphatic is because they are not for polite conversation. If people weren't offended by the word "fuck" then it would be replaced by a word that people do find offensive.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
... If people weren't offended by the word "fuck" then it would be replaced by a word that people do find offensive.

I volunteer "bunny."

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I like it. Working at the prison, I had convinced my students to replace the anagram of Ginger with "cupcake". If only I had tackled the the F-bomb...

"Man, bunny that cupcake.. bunnying punk."

Mordecai

Nostalgic Time Transcender
Local time
-->
I don't swear. I just feel like its an unnecessary word that only inevitably offends someone. I don't know why people are so offended, I guess we need a portion of our vocabulary to be truly insulting in order to get powerful messages across

k9b4

Banned
Local time
-->
I dunno either. People are just fucking retarded I guess.

kris

thbbft
Local time
Today 2:08 AM
-->
I don't care if people are offended by a bit of cussin' for the most part, provided they don't use it as an excuse to dismiss the content of a message. I wrote the following elsewhere earlier in the year:

"Six times three equals eighteen" and "six times three equals eighteen, dickhead" are mathematically equivalent. 'Dickhead' is not a mathematical variable invalidating or altering the math. At worst it is extraneous. In terms of rational argument, the later statement is no less repugnant than "six times three equals eighteen, and I love what you've done with your hair."

Just saying, you can dislike how someone coveys their position all you want, but that's not a free pass to reject their arguments along with. Sometimes we have to put rationality first, and if you disagree with that, you're a dickhead... but I love what you've done with your hair.

Top Bottom