• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

SO WHAT IS YOUR archeTYPE?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
How are you categorized by others and
how do you see your self in regards to your archetype..?

An archetype is an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype after which others are copied, patterned, or emulated; a symbol universally recognized by all. In psychology, an archetype is a model of a person, personality, or behavior. This article is about personality as described in literature analysis and the study of the psyche.
In the analysis of personality, the term archetype is often broadly used to refer to a stereotype—personality type observed multiple times, especially an oversimplification of such a type; or an epitome—personality type exemplified, especially the "greatest" such example.
Archetype refers to a generic version of a personality. In this sense "mother figure" may be considered an archetype and may be identified in various characters with otherwise distinct (non-generic) personalities.

The complete works of Jung have made encyclopedias blush, he is responsible for a great deal besides his personality theories. He conceived of psychological template/archetypes. Jung outlined five main archetypes:
The Self, the regulating center of the psyche and facilitator of individuation
The Shadow, the opposite of the ego image, often containing qualities that the ego does not identify with but possesses nonetheless
The Anima, the feminine image in a man's psyche; or:
The Animus, the masculine image in a woman's psyche
The Persona, how we present to the world, usually protects the Ego from negative images (acts like a mask)
Although the number of archetypes is limitless, there are a few particularly notable, recurring archetypal images:
The Child, The Hero, The Great Mother, The Wise Old Man, and The Trickster or Fox

Archetypes can be found in nearly all forms of literature, with their motifs being predominantly rooted in folklore. Certain common methods of character depiction employed in dramatic performance rely on the pre-existence of literary archetypes. Stock characters, used in theatre or film, are based on highly generic literary archetypes. A pastiche is an imitation of an archetype or prototype in order to pay homage to the original creator.
Sheri Tepper's novel ‘Plague of Angels’ contains archetypical villages, essentially human zoos where a wide variety of archetypal people are kept, including Heroes, heroic sidekick/Companions, Orphans, Oracles, Ingénues, Bastards, young Lovers, Poets, Princesses, Maidens-in-distress, Warriors, Martyrs, Wizards/Shamans Villains and Fools.
The superhero genre is also frequently cited as emblematic of archetypal literature. The young, flawed, and brooding antihero [Spider-Man] became the most widely imitated archetype in the superhero genre since the appearance of Superman

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
Today 3:26 PM
-->
Shaman! My journey is one of the mind.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Shaman/Wizard. People usually don't know what to make of me, and they're always consulting me about things and treating me like I'm wise. And I'm kind of odd and reserved.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Shaman/Wizard. People usually don't know what to make of me, and they're always consulting me about things and treating me like I'm wise. And I'm kind of odd and reserved.

Hmmmm, that kind of weird as I also view myself as a Shaman/priest
That makes it 3 of 3 so far, I did not expect to see a pattern....

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
I'd also be a shaman/wizard. I think that would be a typical response for any intp.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
I'd also be a shaman/wizard. I think that would be a typical response for any intp.

Well, another doomed thread I suppose, so much for thinking I was the only Shaman in a forum of INTPians, However, we need a way of separating ...... nevermind

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow 8:56 AM
-->
Im reading a book called "essential jung" atm and I have a different understanding of archetypes than this view. I though that The self, the shadow, the anima, the animus and the persona were the major components of everyones psyche and the other archetypes were primodial images that are in your unconscious.

The major 5. Everyone either has an anima or animus depending if you are male or female, the anima being the repressed feminine side of men and the animus being the repressed male side of females. The shadow is views and thoughts repressed by your concious when using your dominant functions to perceive the world, eg INTP's shadow is ESFP.
The persona is the person you show the world in social situations, eg you put on a certain character and talk/think in different ways when talking to friends, they way you act and think in these situations is summarised as your persona. The self is the way you think/act when by yourself, your individual self.

So the first 5 are the like components that make up your psyche whilst the others are something different, i dont think you identify your self with an archetype

Ogion

Paladin of Patience
Local time
Tomorrow 12:26 AM
-->
;) I of course am aiming for Wizard/Wise Old Man as well, just see my nick :D

Ogion

Fordy

Local time
Today 11:26 PM
-->
Yeh, I'd say I'm a Shaman...

Perhaps some INTPs are Oracles, or would that be more INTJ?

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Im reading a book called "essential jung" atm and I have a different understanding of archetypes than this view. I though that The self, the shadow, the anima, the animus and the persona were the major components of everyones psyche and the other archetypes were primodial images that are in your unconscious.

The major 5. Everyone either has an anima or animus depending if you are male or female, the anima being the repressed feminine side of men and the animus being the repressed male side of females. The shadow is views and thoughts repressed by your concious when using your dominant functions to perceive the world, eg INTP's shadow is ESFP.
The persona is the person you show the world in social situations, eg you put on a certain character and talk/think in different ways when talking to friends, they way you act and think in these situations is summarised as your persona. The self is the way you think/act when by yourself, your individual self.

So the first 5 are the like components that make up your psyche whilst the others are something different, i dont think you identify your self with an archetype

I agree, i pulled the body of the post from Wiki, simply for convenience sake. I did not get to study Jung as much as I would have liked..
I got the impression that the Persona was a collection of the various social roles we play/pretend in our "Role'lationships in society. I always thought that the archetypes were a component of his collective unconscious, not so much the psychology of the individual...?

wadlez

Local time
-->
Well the persona is the character you identify that plays those social roles. Its the person you become when you compose your self in social situations. For example if you were a footballer and you were with your mates at a pub, at the pub you would talk in a certain manner and act a certain way, you would voice opinions intended for the current audience. But when you got home, your not going to think and act like that when your by yourself, you have an inner voice which is seperate from character at the pub, which is the self.

An archetype from what I understand is as follows(which could be wrong, i am still learning these concepts myself). Your brain rather than being born as a complete blank slate, has the potential to develop in a certain way which is adaptive to the world you are being born into, like organs and the body are built ready for the elements it will encounter on earth.
Within this scheme of brain development you mind has archetypes, which are like templates or models for personalitys and patterns of thought that you will enounter. So for example there is a mother archetype, villain archetype etc.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My archetype morph-shifts from Perseus to the Phoenix, although I think I am really Perseus going through a bad phase. The trouble is Perseus is not actually allowed to go around killing adversaries in modern society or turning them to stone*. So I might be a damaged Phoenix by default. It is Elip Tilicum (elder of the tribe) who knows for sure. (* Killing their emotions is allowed by psycholgocial warfare if your tribe [gang] is strong enough.)

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
;) I of course am aiming for Wizard/Wise Old Man as well, just see my nick :D

Ogion

This is the Sage of the Idealist Dragon (INFP) goal. Not for me. I call this Elip Tilicum.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
I am afraid that I don´t get it. Do I have to read a certain book to say what archetype I am? Is there any website that could give me advice?

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am afraid that I don´t get it. Do I have to read a certain book to say what archetype I am? Is there any website that could give me advice?

It think the idea is you go to the wilderness to discover yourself and then the elders opf the tribe decide who you are. cf. Native Americans: Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, Hawkeye etc.

In my Modern Animism terminology, INTPs are likely to take the archetypal role of Eagle, Albatros, Condor, or the lesser perceivers at Falcon, Vulture, Eagle Owl, and damaged ones as Broken Wing Harpie or whatever.

It could (if genuine) come to you in a dream, but mine didn't as my dreams are no longer archetypal (ceased when I was teenager) and contain real people.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
-->
I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 4:26 PM
-->
I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland.

Sounds erotic.

I think I'd be the wizard too... but sometimes a bastard and a fool as well

Yozuki

Local time
-->
My Archetype is the Batman Monster. 1000 Horses to bring out the animal in you.

batman-monster-truck-20070817113430022-000.jpg

wadlez

Local time
-->
batman monster is the best archetype ever, jung only breifly mentions it though.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

No not really,
you might want to check out the external links on Wiki, subject :Archetypes

Yozuki

Local time
-->
batman monster is the best archetype ever, jung only breifly mentions it though.
Indeed. I am most eager to see an INTP's inner Batman.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Today 11:26 AM
-->
Another Shaman, with a good portion of Hermit.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
Today 10:26 PM
-->
Is there a test for this or something?

I'd probably be a trickster/bastard/villian.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
No test link that I know of, just an idea of jungian archetypes. The tarot deck portrays the common archetypes too.

Just a matter of which you feel you have most in common with.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
No test link that I know of, just an idea of jungian archetypes. The tarot deck portrays the common archetypes too.

http://www.flarn.com/~warlock/tarot/

Ah, and I am the fool:

Idea, thought, spirituality, that which endeavours to rise above the material.
The Fool is the card of infinite possibilities. The bag on the staff indicates that he has all he need to do or be anything he wants, he has only to stop and unpack. He is on his way to a brand new beginning. But the card carries a little bark of warning as well. Stop daydreaming and fantasising and watch your step, lest you fall and end up looking the fool.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
Haha yes, I should pay close heed to the fool. So should we all.

Death (Transformation) may be the tarot equivalent of Shaman, or am I way off in that guess?

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
Fortunately, I am pretty much into Tarot. So if you say me for what the shaman stands, I can tell you which card is nearest to it.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
I guess to me it means a bridge between worlds.

wadlez

Local time
-->
Is there a test for this or something?

No there is no test, achetypes are not a personality type like MBTI is, which I think is why some people are getting confused.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->

OOh! Do you know the History of Tarot
that's a thread in itself...

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
I'm sure I don't know the history, or really much depth about it at all. Feel free to start a thread. :)

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
No there is no test, achetypes are not a personality type like MBTI is, which I think is why some people are getting confused.

On the contrary, your archetype is your personality type (in greater detail).

e.g

Loser: Vulture
Religious: Albatross
Golden: Golden Eagle
Nerd: Buzzard
Realist: Peregrine

PS: I am not quite sure of the semantics. A bit of Devil's Advocate here.

An archetype (pronounced: /ˈɑːkɪtaɪp/ (Brit.) or /ˈɑrkɪtaɪp/ (Amer.)) is an original model of a person, ideal example, or a prototype after which others are copied, patterned, or emulated; a symbol universally recognized by all. In psychology, an archetype is a model of a person, personality, or behavior. This article is about personality as described in literature analysis and the study of the psyche.
In the analysis of personality, the term archetype is often broadly used to refer to
  1. a stereotype—personality type observed multiple times, especially an oversimplification of such a type; or
  2. an epitome—personality type exemplified, especially the "greatest" such example.
  3. a literary term to express details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Archetypes

Archetypes are, according to Swiss psychologist Carl Jung, innate universal psychic dispositions that form the substrate from which the basic themes of human life emerge. Being universal and innate, their influence can be detected in the form of myths, symbols, rituals and instincts of human beings. Archetypes are components of the collective unconscious and serve to organize, direct and inform human thought and behaviour.
According to Jung, archetypes heavily influence the human life cycle, propelling a neurologically hard-wired sequence which he called the stages of life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes

Last edited by a moderator:

wadlez

Local time
-->
Yeah so no body is actually an archetype, but rather everyone has all these archetypes within there psyche and they use these when perceiving the world.
Its complicated

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Yeah so no body is actually an archetype, but rather everyone has all these archetypes within there psyche and they use these when perceiving the world.
Its complicated

Yes and it a source for a lot social chaos and confusion. We're basically talking about an inherent 'need' to stereo'type' others. Stereotyping is not a politically-correct mindset, however, recent studies have shown that it is a prevalent cognitive process.

It is a challenge to look at society as a collection of individuals , and not as stereotypic groups with individuals with minor differences. This boundary between "US' and the stereotypic "THEM" has been the the rationale for the oppression and exploitation of Others all throughout history

Last edited:

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Tomorrow 1:26 AM
-->
http://www.flarn.com/~warlock/tarot/

Ah, and I am the fool:

Idea, thought, spirituality, that which endeavours to rise above the material.
The Fool is the card of infinite possibilities. The bag on the staff indicates that he has all he need to do or be anything he wants, he has only to stop and unpack. He is on his way to a brand new beginning. But the card carries a little bark of warning as well. Stop daydreaming and fantasising and watch your step, lest you fall and end up looking the fool.

Same here....:D:p

Even that tarot card is similar to my avatar:eek::cool:
Though... I've never believed in tarot cards, still do not.

The Fool is titled Le Mat in the Tarot of Marseilles, and Il Matto in most Italian language tarot decks. These archaic words mean "the madman" or "the beggar".
Uhmm.... wierd.... I should change my nickname also now?:p

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
You are The Hermit

Prudence, Caution, Deliberation.
The Hermit points to all things hidden, such as knowledge and inspiration,hidden enemies. The illumination is from within, and retirement from participation in current events.
The Hermit is a card of introspection, analysis and, well, virginity. You do not desire to socialize; the card indicates, instead, a desire for peace and solitude. You prefer to take the time to think, organize, ruminate, take stock. There may be feelings of frustration and discontent but these feelings eventually lead to enlightenment, illumination, clarity.
The Hermit represents a wise, inspirational person, friend, teacher, therapist. This a person who can shine a light on things that were previously mysterious and confusing.

Heh...

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You are The Sun

Happiness, Content, Joy.
The meanings for the Sun are fairly simple and consistent.
Young, healthy, new, fresh. The brain is working, things that were muddled come clear, everything falls into place, and everything seems to go your way.
The Sun is ruled by the Sun, of course. This is the light that comes after the long dark night, Apollo to the Moon's Diana. A positive card, it promises you your day in the sun. Glory, gain, triumph, pleasure, truth, success. As the moon symbolized inspiration from the unconscious, from dreams, this card symbolizes discoveries made fully consciousness and wide awake. You have an understanding and enjoyment of science and math, beautifully constructed music, carefully reasoned philosophy. It is a card of intellect, clarity of mind, and feelings of youthful energy.

Odd. I do like Apollo.

Legionnaire

Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
You are Death

Change, Transformation, Alteration.
People fear this card, but if you want to change your life, this is one of the best indicators for it. Whatever happens, life will be different. Yes, the Death card can signal a death in the right circumstances (a question about a very sick or old relative, for example), but unlike its dramatic presentation in the movies, the Death card is far more likely to signal transformation, passage, change. Scorpio, the sign of this card, has three forms: scorpion, serpent, eagle. The Death card indicates this transition from lower to higher to highest. This is a card of humility, and it may mean you have been brought low, but only so that you can then go higher than ever before. Death "humbles" all, but it also "exults." Always keep in mind that on this card of darkness there is featured a sunrise as well. You could be ready for a change.

Not too suprising.

wadlez

Local time
-->
You are The Wheel of Fortune

Good fortune and happiness but sometimes a species of intoxication with success
The Wheel of Fortune is all about big things, luck, change, fortune. Almost always good fortune. You are lucky in all things that you do and happy with the things that come to you. Be careful that success does not go to your head however. Sometimes luck can change.

Great im a gameshow. doesnt sound a thing like me

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
-->
You are The Devil

Materiality. Material Force. Material temptation; sometimes obsession
The Devil is often a great card for business success; hard work and ambition.
Ummm.... I'm not entirely sure if that describes me very well. :7

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
-->
It´s not the "real" devil, it is actually Pan. And this card is not "evil". It´s all about earthly power - hedonism, excess and materialism At the same time this card represents the chains of those powers that bind you to this world. The Devil is a tough one and it´s hard to get rid of him. In the Major Arcana this is the most extreme card with a strong masculine tendency while all the other ones are more balanced.

Since I do not know you, I do not dare to interpret it any further.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
The Rationalization of Occult Tarot
Summary
During the occult revival, which continued into the early 20th century, there was a great deal of anthropological revisioning of older traditions. Arthur Edward Waite, a Christian mystic and scholar of the occult, explicitly rejected the core of occult Tarot. He wrote, "I am not to be included among those who are satisfied that there is a valid correspondence between the Hebrew letters and the Tarot Trump symbols." His own novel interpretation of the trumps drew on many sources (including the occultists) to create an eclectic but tightly integrated representation of the mystical Perennial Philosophy. The first half of the trumps illustrated an involutionary descent while the second half illustrate an evolutionary ascent, the entire spiritual cycle being closely reminiscent of Joseph Campbell's Universal Monomyth. This was all in keeping with common ideas of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century regarding comparative religion and the universality of myth and mysticism. Waite described his new creation as "a true Tarot under one of its aspects", and "not occult, but mystical". In addition, he was the first to use pictorial pip cards to facilitate the intuition of fortune-tellers.
In the late 20th century, Tarot was widely adopted by various New Age enthusiasts, neo-Pagans, and of course, fortune-tellers, as well as people who were simply interested in using the deck for self-exploration without any spiritual or mystical motivation. It was again redefined, largely in the terms of Jungian psychology, but with borrowings from the earlier occultists and from Waite. This development was greatly facilitated by Waite's mystical Tarot deck, whose trumps and pips had been redesigned in a manner consistent with such usage. His deck served as a model for hundreds of derivative decks. The new element, characteristic of contemporary Tarot, was the belief that naive intuition and free association would reveal universal archetypes from the unconscious mind. This liberated Tarot enthusiasts from having to learn complex systems of correspondence, and having to choose between the competing systems.
In addition to fortune telling, modern Tarot applications include soul-searching exercises and meditation for personal growth, and as a randomized input for free association and brainstorming techniques. Not surprisingly, they have even been used by some psychologists in a therapeutic context. The main distinctions between Waite and the contemporary Tarot enthusiasts are specificity and authority. Waite was in some ways closer to the earlier occultists who saw and emphasized a particular design to the trumps and their sequence, rather than the contemporary approach which validates any intuition one might posit about what are seen as archetypal subjects. Waite's authority for his design was personal insight and the history of Christian mysticism, whereas the contemporary Tarotist is likely to cite C.G. Jung and neo-Jungian psychologists.
Also in the late 20th century, more historically sophisticated writers have attempted salvage as much of the earlier occult fictions as possible while abandoning most of the obviously false elements. As with other late 20th-century Tarot writers, their basic premise is the existence of universals which are intuitively understood. Given this premise, Tarot must have always been something very close to what it is currently understood to be -- otherwise the supposed universals are not universal. Critics of this viewpoint would say that this preconception leads to the invention of secret coded messages in the trump cards, supported by nothing beyond the anachronistic belief that what people see in the images today must have always been there.

I was having a conversation with my Self...
"Well, Da. this thread is turning out as planned"
Yes, Blob, so far so good, there's just one more..)

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Queen295.jpg

The Devil is the fourth Shadow process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
Hmmmm I meant to put a punctuation post on this thread weeks ago, my, how time flies...

Collecting his Tarot Trilogy ("God of Tarot"; "Vision of Tarot"; "Faith of Tarot") together in one book, the way that it was meant to be originally published, Piers Anthony's novel "Tarot" is the story of Brother Paul's exploration of the mysteries of the colony planet Tarot and his rediscovery, or perhaps reinvention, of the restored Animation Tarot. Brother Paul, who has also appeared in Anthony's book "But What of Earth?" and occasionally in the Cluster series, is sent to the colony by his Order, the Holy Order of Vision.

The central symbol in his novel/trilogy is the Tarot, but not necessary the Tarot of the occultist.

In his introduction, Piers Anthony talks about an experimental Tarot reading he did as part of his research for this novel, a reading that went very well, too well in his opinion. Being a non-believer, he asks "How could a supernatural device work so well for an unbeliever?"
His answer, after much thought was: "[T]he tarot deck presents a concentration of symbols, some of which are almost certain to relate to any person. The pictures have multiple levels, many interpretations, and these are what the person tunes in on.
If Death comes up and there has been a recent death in the family, there is confirmation. If there has not been a death, then there is the fear of one coming up. If there is no such fear, the symbol may relate to the termination of something important, such as one's job. Death is not just literal death; it is Transformation, or Change, and can manifest in many ways. Similarly, the other symbols have projections like pincushions; you can't touch them without getting stuck. The Lovers is also Choice, so that card relates to romance or to a difficult decision; and when was there a time when you are not faced with some decision, and which one is ever simple? these versatile symbols, coupled with the human's mind capacity to interpret, to make something relate, do almost inevitably relate to your life." As he concludes, he had "solved the mystery.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The Devil (Joker) says the Queen of Hearts (NP) ends up with the Ten of Clubs (SJ). The Idealist needs a Guardian ?

I am not sure if this right, or not?

Who does the Jack of Hearts end up with?

Ghost1986

Local time
Tomorrow 3:26 AM
-->
i have always been called a psychopath. my ides tend to piss everyone off and my mind is very very dark. how i am not a goth i have no idea. a friend of mine once states i should find a goth chick. my reply to him was that i would most likely scare the hell out of the poor girl.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
i have always been called a psychopath. my ides tend to piss everyone off and my mind is very very dark. how i am not a goth i have no idea. a friend of mine once states i should find a goth chick. my reply to him was that i would most likely scare the hell out of the poor girl.

The image of a Psychopath is useful in maintaining an extra bit of personal space...

Gorgrim

Local time
-->
Well, stereotyping, and putting people, things, elements, in boxes with the same qualities reminds me of something I just thought of...

when a teacher, in a class of 30, assigns groups of 3-4, he she uses stereotyping in a more or less detailed way of sorting a proper group pattern. Atleast if she/he cares enough to try 'balance' the groups.

I believe it is an important feature for a cognitive process to work, that you implement certain traits to people, so you know what to do with them.

But since there is many factors that make good groups, you can have a delicate complex stereotypical system, right? but without any stereotypes, how would one interpret the world?

Maybe im wrong, since putting people in catagories for understanding and stereotyping could be different things, but i don't think its that different. I think stereotyping is just a limit to our understanding.

Making an assumption that a group of people is in a certain stereotypical way, protects the brain from having to make too many ideas about people at the same time, like people memorizing things in clusters.

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
-->
there has been some research done on stereotyping and/or categorization. It turns out that, the process is hardwired into the brain. It is how we 'organize'. A person has to work, not to stereotype other people. However, you are correct, having a good system for categorizing people can solve a lot of problems. I think that is why so many people buy into the MBTI - it seems to work.- at least it works better than stereotyping people based on appearance or first impressions...

Last edited:
Top Bottom