• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Poker

pacf16

I'm dumb
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
Hello everybody! This is my first post here, but i hope to make many more. ;)
So, what i want to know is:
Do you play poker regularly?
Do you prefer to play on line or live poker?
In which room do you play ? (online)
How much did you won? (or lost :b)
Why do you play poker?
And finally, do you have a gameplan or you just go improvising as you play?

I play everyday, started playing some months ago. i've already made 2 cashouts, 100$ each. I guess i can say that its going well. (i started with 15 $).

Feel free to reply.

Peace. ;)
:p

smithcommajohn

Do not consume with alcohol
Local time
Today 2:15 AM
-->
Love poker. I used to play regularly on PokerStars before they stopped serving US customers (due to the DOJ indictments).

I like both online and live for different reasons. Online is more casual, private, and cost effective. Live is easier and more entertaining.

I've won lots and lost lots. My winnings outweigh my losses, though I don't know a specific number.

I play poker because I enjoy the puzzle of discovering the best way to play. It's a game with lots of hidden information and demands a great deal of concentration if you want to be any good at it.

You need both a gameplan and improvisation skills to be a good poker player longterm.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I started playing poker around 5-6 years ago. Back then I used to play 6 man turbo sng's. I started with 50 dollars I think and got up to 1k I guess before I cashed out and quit. 2 years ago I started up slowly again with 50 dollars. I got interested in playing heads up because I liked the whole 1 on 1 thing. There wasn't any HU cash games below 0.25/0.50 at fulltilt, so I wasn't rolled to play them. My plan therefore was to start with HU sngs. I started at the 2 dollar ones I believe, but didn't play too regularly. I started playing more and more regularly and after a while, when my roll allowed it, I moved up to the 5s, then the 10s, then the 20s, then the 33s, then then the 50s. At the 50s it starting getting somewhat tougher and there always was a long waiting line (people waiting for the fish). The money at stake when I played the 50s and 80s started to get a little to me as well. I mean, you can loose or win 2-300 pretty quickly, so you have to have a proper roll and a strong psyche to deal with it. Anyways, at this point my 50 dollars had increased to 3.5k and I was closer to playing the 100 dollar ones. At the stakes between 50-100 you will find that there are quite a lot that makes their living there and I was beginning to think whether I could as well. I spent more and more time playing and I watched a bunch of instructional videos, read a lot of books and posted on poker forums to keep improving my HU game. I also bought some one on one skype lessons with some guy that I had encountered a couple of times in the 50s from england that makes a nice living playing between the 50s and the 2-300s. Something terrible happened though...

The sickest downswing I've ever had was upon me. I don't want to go into details, but let me say that I lost more than half my roll (something that amounts to 35 buy ins at the 50s). I felt so terrible during that time and I started questioning myself more and more for every game I played whether I actually where a winning player. I mean, I had played so many games and moved up steadily from the 5s and had a long, solid winning sample. My dream of being able to do this for a living seemed to fade with every game. My psyche was a mess and I questioned my every decision which no doubt had a negative impact on my game. Last time I played regularly now is probably 3-4 months ago. My current roll is 1.6k I think, but I just have it there. I'm afraid to play and frankly I don't find it fun anymore. It is a tough game, and it keeps getting tougher everyday. Maybe I'll pick poker up again one day soon, but I think if I were to, I will only play the 20s and build up some confidence in my game again.. also, I need the practice as I'm probably somewhat rusty after all this time off.

sigh, poker. Ugh. I don't know if I would have the psyche to play it everyday for 6-8 hours and to be able to face big downswings without having sleepless nights or having it impact my life in a very negative way. I feel sick just thinking about poker as of now, but well well. Yes, I have played quite a lot of poker. If you plan to play it regularly and see how far you can take it you better learn that it requires MUCH work and that it is going to challenge your psyche. The days of making loads of easy money is gone. I missed out on it and so did you.

Have fun:P

smithcommajohn

Local time
-->
I feel your pain, Kantor. I've had some massive downswings as well and they really go to work on your confidence in your playing ability.

I used to grind turbo PLO DoN's (5's, 10's, and 20's) on PokerStars awhile back and that was just too draining for me (despite being lucrative). Since that time I've decided that grinding really drives all the enjoyment out of the equation for me and is therefore unsustainable. I think the idea of playing poker 6-8 hours every day is very unappealing to me. I'm not sure if any INTP could really become that style of a grinder. Now, I play for enjoyment and stakes that won't bother me to lose.

The games are tougher now than ever. Part of it is related to a player drought caused by several factors (economy, government intervention, appearance of being illegitimate, etc.) I'm hoping that we will see a renewed poker boom within a year when I predict some form of online poker is brought back to the US. Until then, I think poker is essentially like trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Playing occasionally for fun seems like a good way to go about it, but it's not fun enough for me to play anymore unless I get $'s out of it.
I'm not too sure about a renewed poker boom. Even if the game would get some fresh blood, there are still countless of really good learning resources out there, resources that weren't available 6 years ago.. but who knows:) Switching to PLO, or some other poker game, is perhaps something one could consider. It isn't as dried up and "solved" as most forms of holdem.

smithcommajohn

Local time
-->
I'm an optimist on a renewed poker boom, but yeah, who knows? :)

I don't think all the learning sources are as much of a problem as others seem to think, though it is certainly a factor in total edge on the average playing field. Most players are learning how to play ABC poker and are easy enough to adjust to. Adjusting to other players is the main skill in poker and I don't believe it can be taught. Maybe I'm wrong.

Picking up a new game is very rejuvenating, for sure. Play some PLO8 if you really want to mix things up and challenge yourself away from NLHE. My hardest game is Stud (Hi or Hi/Lo). For some reason I haven't gotten ahold of it just yet.

pacf16

I'm dumb
Local time
-->
Well, I know that i cant play 6-8 hours a day. I just cant. I've been playing 2$ 45 man sit & go's and everytime i had the money to move up, some crazy downswing just happened, and thats why i made the cashouts. I spent hours trying to understand what i did wrong, and that really affected me as a player. So i just stopped for a while, read some books, poker forums and stuff, and now im trying again. I guess I started seeing downswings as part of the game and now I dont really care when that happens. I just stop for a while (before I tilt ) and then i play again. ;) My goal is to reach something like 2k, but i think im not going to adventure myself in higher limits than 10 $/20 $ because the competition is to hard. ( if I ever reach those limits). Im not from USA, and i cant really say that the "Black Friday" affected me, i mean, i see less pros at the tables, and more fish's. (good for me. =D) Maybe in the future i'll post here some good results. I hope so. ;)

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Most players are learning how to play ABC poker and are easy enough to adjust to. Adjusting to other players is the main skill in poker and I don't believe it can be taught. Maybe I'm wrong.
That's pretty much the reason why I switched to HU. I was getting tired of all the multitabling, abc playing nits. In hu adjustment is everything, and I think you are right, it can't be taught as easily. One needs experience more than anything else. Also, I really like mind/meta games. After a while playing HU you will quickly be able to assess how a player plays.
I think it's true that playing HU is one of the fastest ways to increase your overall poker game.

smithcommajohn

Local time
-->
That's pretty much the reason why I switched to HU. I was getting tired of all the multitabling, abc playing nits. In hu adjustment is everything, and I think you are right, it can't be taught as easily. One needs experience more than anything else. Also, I really like mind/meta games. After a while playing HU you will quickly be able to assess how a player plays.
I think it's true that playing HU is one of the fastest ways to increase your overall poker game.

THANK YOU! I also grew tired of the 24-tabling nits! In my opinion, they don't play what I consider to be poker.

I don't know if you play live poker at all, but it gets away from a lot of that nonsense and is much easier to beat, plus it allows for a TON of meta/mind games.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't know if you play live poker at all, but it gets away from a lot of that nonsense and is much easier to beat, plus it allows for a TON of meta/mind games.
It isn't much live games around here, but I really enjoy playing live poker the times I get to do it. It takes some time getting used to though. If I had the choice I think I would play live poker only. Not sure if the live competition is weak enough to make the hourly justifiable for pros though, at least not to the extent where they can play live only. hmm.. or.. I think I'm mistaken. There are a lot of top pros that make a really good living from live play only I think.

darude11

Good vs Evil
Local time
Today 8:15 AM
-->
Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> World 3
I don't play poker regulary, know how to play it and have no tactic that I prefer... maybe sometimes counting outs. I prefer to play poker live, because it is better for determining personalities of others (just for example how much to they talk [E/I], how do they have placed chips [J/P] etc.). And too for predicting, how could they behave.
About stakes: My biggest win was whole train full of imaginary stones (TRUE!!), which I have won in game against other INTP :D.
My first rule of poker: If you don't play it well, play it for free in the beginning. And I am playing it honestly still free without any money, jewelery, cars or even valuable papers in the stakes. I just use it as abreaction from stress in the school, for analyzing as mentioned above, and for training to be once pro :cool:.

BTW: My biggest bad habit from poker is that I often wear sunglasses. Even in the school, at home or in the car. :D

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Darude: You wont really learn anything by playing poker with play money (unless you play with some good friends that really takes it seriously and are good players, but even then it should really be played with money) other than what beats what or getting yourself acquainted with the software if you play online.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
I play online poker, more often if I'm not in a miserable mood, maybe 10-15 tournaments a day, and if I'm in a miserable mood, like nowadays, I don't play it.
If I'm in a miserable mood - I get bored in 10-30 minutes, and then... Goodbye prize.
And if it's the opposite - I get bored in 1-2 hours, a tournament usually is as long as 3-6 hours though... Even if I'm multitabling, I still need something else to do - read something, eat, watch a movie, play another game or whatever...
I play it for real money, and haven't won much because I get bored soon... I would deposit some, but I'm quite poor, and if I'd want to deposit - I'd go for real-life poker, it's more interesting to me, because there are things called 'tells', and I'm good at them.

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
Today 3:15 AM
-->
I made some easy cash on full tilt back in the days when there was a $5k freeroll for every new account. The prize poll was shared between about 50 people, all brazilians and almost all as noob as they came :D
I made about 3 accounts to play the freerolls (not exactly legal lol)
I made 1st, 3rd and 2nd on the freerolls I played. I earned about U$$ 2500.
These games were all holdem. I've also played stud hi/lo ring games and tournaments for some time on pokerstars, but, after a while, playing ''by the book'' wasn't getting me anywhere. :confused:
I've also played some omaha, mostly on fulltilt's rush poker, but it wasn't working for me. I would make U$$ 80 some days and them give back double the ammount the next. I've stopped playing, I hate feeling outclassed.

pacf16

I'm dumb
Local time
-->
I play online poker, more often if I'm not in a miserable mood, maybe 10-15 tournaments a day, and if I'm in a miserable mood, like nowadays, I don't play it.
If I'm in a miserable mood - I get bored in 10-30 minutes, and then... Goodbye prize.
And if it's the opposite - I get bored in 1-2 hours, a tournament usually is as long as 3-6 hours though... Even if I'm multitabling, I still need something else to do - read something, eat, watch a movie, play another game or whatever...
I play it for real money, and haven't won much because I get bored soon... I would deposit some, but I'm quite poor, and if I'd want to deposit - I'd go for real-life poker, it's more interesting to me, because there are things called 'tells', and I'm good at them.

I know what you mean. After some time playing, i start to get really bored, thats why I keep myself away from big tournaments, i just cant play them. And when im playing, i also need something to do. Lately, i do math and chemistry exercises, because i have to study. --' But in the normal days, i'll just watch a movie, or play guitar. However, im teaching myself to concentrate in the poker, because i want to win something. ;)

pacf16

I'm dumb
Local time
-->
bryson, i did something similar to that, but it was the first deposit freeroll, 100k pool prize. However, i won much less. lol I only play nl holdem. I never tried the others types, but im thinking to do it. ;)

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
-->
[FLV][/FLV]
bryson, i did something similar to that, but it was the first deposit freeroll, 100k pool prize. However, i won much less. lol I only play nl holdem. I never tried the others types, but im thinking to do it. ;)
Cool! :D How many contenders for the prize, in average?

Bryson

INTposer
Local time
-->
These freerolls I played were really simple. People just wanted to get in the money and they thought the best way to guarantee a spot was folding 95% of their hands - which in turn meant a lot of uncontested pots for me.

Top Bottom