• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Last movie you watched

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 3:09 AM
-->
https://letterboxd.com/totenkindly/film/ant-man-and-the-wasp/

Basic gist -- light fun, enjoyable, not a ton of substance or long-term impact on the MCU. Enjoyable but not resonant or thought-provoking.

Watched Netflix's Bright and Tomb Raider (2018).

Bright hits the feels since I did emphatize with how Jakoby was treated. I liked its message though. Even if you're socially handicapped by birth, you can still earn your "bloodied" status with the skills and abilities you are born with.

Some of the critics really hated Bright. I thought it was pretty nice. I mean, yeah, it's not a high-brow film. it was more a street-level, gritty buddy movie that used Tolkienesque races to talk about race, and the need to understand the community you are dealing with. (The orcs were pretty interesting... and they didn't pull any punches here.) I thought the high elves were fucking awesome -- we always joke about this in our RPGs, how snooty the elves are, and this was totes stuck-up biatchness. Noomi Rapace was so great, I hated her so much, lol. And Joel Edgerton is typically good in anything as a serious solid actor, and then you get Will Smith to do the "audience connection" role.

It was something to see him beat a fairy to death with a broom in the first few minutes. This isn't just your grandmother's fantasy movie. I hated how Suicide Squad turned out (with Ayer), I liked this much better... and he knows how to make cop buddy films (e.g., Training Day, End of Watch).

Tomb Raider has gritty fight scenes and stunts which were nicely executed. The arrows were a bit stupid (or probably poisoned) but I guess I just need more suspension of disbelief. However, the Jolie films might have spoiled me a bit so Vikander seems to be a little off. The Lara I know is confident in her skin and can best any enemy. This one just gets her butt kicked, a lot. Then again I played the more mature Lara Croft in my younger years rather than the more naive reboot so there's that.

Yeah, I have not seen it yet (I'd like to). I've played most of the video games over the last twenty years, including about two hours into the reboot Lara which I think this movie is trying to capture / parallel. So yes, this is her first adventure, and she's like what, a teenager / early 20's? So she has no confidence or experience yet, this was her introduction. Hopefully she shows a lot of moxie in the film, even if her skills aren't yet up to par with what we know of her.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 8:09 AM
-->
Blood of Heroes. Not too much of the shit that triggers me. I enjoyed it

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Rewatched Fury Road over the weekend. (That movie makes me happy.)

Rewatching "Big" Extended Ed to celebrate the life of Penny Marshall who just died.

Saw "The Miseducation of Cameron Post". Not as deep as it could have been, but it was more thoughtful than satire. I was pleasantly surprised.

Also in the middle of two other movies:
- The Kindergarten Teacher (with Maggie Gyllenhaal)
- Madeline's Madeline

I plan to see either Aquaman or Mary Poppins Returns within the next week.

JohnnyLawrence

Local time
Today 7:09 AM
-->
Some films that stand out in my memory in recent years include:

'the invitation' which was pretty unsettling
'The square' which i read as being a social commentary on how cucked some parts of europe have become but maybe others will read something different into it
'Inherent vice' film noir set in the 70's
'hell or high water' which is the best modern western (although the 'deadwood' film is coming out soon, i just hope its not shit!)
'The trip' which is now three different films of steve coogan and rob brydon kinda playing themselves as they are paid by a paper to travel around different places , eat nice food and muse about life
'the dinner' which is another steve coogan one

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
John Wick 3 Parabellum -- pretty much right along the lines of the first two, if you're into it.

Glad they barely give Keanu any dialogue (because he can't deliver a line to save his life) and instead populate the films with decent supporting cast so he can just focus on a kinetic performance.

I was kind of surprised that it was as funny as it was.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
'the invitation' which was pretty unsettling

It was enjoyable -- Karen Kitsuma directed, look up "jennifer's body" and last year's "Destroyer" with a decent performance by nicole Kidman for her other directorial works.

'hell or high water' which is the best modern western (although the 'deadwood' film is coming out soon, i just hope its not shit!)

Liked this movie a lot. The writer's written some other notable work as well (Taylor Sheridan) -- for example, both Sicario's and Wind River (the latter of which he also directed). I like that his stuff is open-ended.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Lawrence of Arabia!
Fantastic. I want to watch it again.
It was four hours long but I still felt like there was so much story left to tell and would have gladly watched hours more of it. The acting, the writing, the visuals, the music, everything five stars, fantastic
Definitely one of my favorites now.

Also saw Officespace recently and it’s very very funny. I love the type of humor in it. Very INTP movie I think.

And not really a movie but a police training video from the 80s called Surviving Edged Weapons which is on YouTube and is pretty funny

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
john wick 3.

sorry Neo, but this stuff is garbage. Three fuckin hours of just boom boom, pow pow, ouch etc? Come on..

And the crazy part was that the theater was filled with grown-ups, many of them well above 30 and laughing hysterically whenever a dude got kicked in the balls.

Definitely get drunk beforehand if you're going to see this movie.

As a side note, throughout the movie, I was sensing a smell which I wasn't able to identify: it smelled like someone hadn't wiped their ass for 2 weeks, but I couldn't figure out whether it was my friend's movie snacks or the dude sitting next to me.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 8:09 PM
-->
As a side note, throughout the movie, I was sensing a smell which I wasn't able to identify: it smelled like someone hadn't wiped their ass for 2 weeks, but I couldn't figure out whether it was my friend's movie snacks or the dude sitting next to me.

...that would have been enough to ruin even the best movie for me - I would probably have left the theatre :ahh:

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:39 PM
-->
john wick 3.

sorry Neo, but this stuff is garbage. Three fuckin hours of just boom boom, pow pow, ouch etc? Come on..

And the crazy part was that the theater was filled with grown-ups, many of them well above 30 and laughing hysterically whenever a dude got kicked in the balls.

What were your thoughts on the first two?

I haven't seen the third, but I enjoyed the other two. Not because they were super deep or thought provoking, but because they knew what they were and concentrated on being exactly that. I can't remember either of them trying to be funny?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
john wick 3.

What were your thoughts on the first two?

I haven't seen the third, but I enjoyed the other two. Not because they were super deep or thought provoking, but because they knew what they were and concentrated on being exactly that. I can't remember either of them trying to be funny?
Haven't seen the first two. To be fair though, I would have probably enjoyed it more if it weren't in a theater. To me there's too much annoying shit going on there. Weird smells, confrontations with people kicking your seat, people making noise with their movie snacks, making stupid-ass comments etc.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Contagion. It was okay. Bonus points for Gwyneth paltrow dying almost immediately. Jude Law is quite bad in it, I think he's doing a failed australian accent ? It was quite well put together in many ways though.

Before that, Rubber by Quentin Dupieux which now goes on my list of favorite films.

Damian Doritos

i smell fear
Local time
-->
Contagion. It was okay. Bonus points for Gwyneth paltrow dying almost immediately. Jude Law is quite bad in it, I think he's doing a failed australian accent ? It was quite well put together in many ways though.

Before that, Rubber by Quentin Dupieux which now goes on my list of favorite films.

That's one good movie indeed ;D

I haven't been to the cinema in like 3 years. But one time I remember I went with a girl I was dating, she was wearing a super big cleavage and there were 3 young kids in the row above us looking like.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

I think the films are exactly what they market themselves to be.

That being said, I think the first was the best in terms of being delivered cleanly and to the point. They also wisely didn't give Keanu much to say in any of them and relied on the talents of the supporting cast to carry any dramatic elements.

The second film fleshes out more about the system John is part of. The third I think is mainly just action, it's got a few great set pieces. I still probably enjoyed the first the most because it really didn't seem to try to be something bigger than it deserved.

I thought there was a lot of funny stuff in the films but it was more tongue-in-cheek. Like the knife-fight in the third movie, the whole idea was ludicrous so it was kind of funny to watch. Or like when Jon takes out about 15 guys who try to wipe him in his home, then he calls the "cleaners" and they show up and spic-and-span the place nonchalantly. (or the cop who totally knows who Jon is and shows up to ask if everything's okay; but Jon's like everything's fine despite all the dead bodies the cop can see behind him, and he's like shrugging, like, okay). And it's really funny how everyone in the first film is mortified at Theon (aka Alfie Allen) for not knowing who Jon Wick was: "You just had to go and shoot the guy's DOG, are you really that stupid?" kind of thing. It wouldn't matter for anyone else, but you had to cross Jon Wick.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
From what I could see, john Wick is supposed to be inspired by the action parts of the Matrix movies. I recall the Wachowski brothers talking about how the action in the Matrix was supposed to be emerging from the actual action and not the editing process – e.g. in contrast to most action movies, Matrix uses very long takes and the cinematography is supposed to expose as much of the action as possible as opposed to obscuring it. I.e. you're supposed to actually see what is happening, as opposed to just having an impression that something is happening. They had some of that in John Wick, I noticed they used quite long takes, but overall the cinematography seemed kinda bland and a lot of it was filmed in the dark so you were mostly just watching flashes from the guns. It didn't seem like anyone on that set had any real vision for what they were making, so they ended up with what we got – a regular action movie (with extremely shitty acting (with the exception of Morpheus)).

Deleted member 1424

I watched... Shazam? I'm not sure why... I blame external forces, since I have long since lost any hope for DC. It's tone was wildly inconsistent. Every successive scene felt more and more random and disjointed. It almost seemed like half the movie was missing. Zackary Levi's competence as a comedic actor is it's only selling point imo.

@Serac
It's Wachowski sisters

In accordance with pc law you will now be black bagged and summarily executed by the sjw secret police.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Keanu Reeves is reaching max popularity not only because movies, but because people relate to his emo personality. Kinda like the linkin park's singer before he killed himself.

Watching him talking about cyberpunk was painful.

Deleted member 1424

That seems a little unfair to me. Dudes had a rough life and is a well known for philanthropy. Hardly just an emo advertising icon.

Just watched captain marvel yestetday. It was a lot like Top Gun. A gay Air Force advertisement. I liked it more than Wonder Woman and a lot more than Shazam.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
^yeah, he had a rough life, a perfect opportunity to make money. I'm not saying there's something wrong with him or it being his fault, just saying people are profiting on his popularity. He's very popular in memes and media. Memes and loving dogs, it's like 99% approval. What better way to promote your game?

(Look at his e3 performance, not particulary genuine)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I tend to just see him a generally benevolent person who seems to be well-liked and who can sometimes generate enthusiasm for things he is enthusiastic about. I don't seem him as particularly talented (not meant as a slight, but he does better playing himself than a character, in terms of acting ability -- kind of like the Michael J Fox thing, etc.) and while he likes to get into things he thinks are profound or cool I don't know if he actually grasps them. Again, not meant as slight, it's just not him even when he tries. He seems to have become successfully primarily due to likability and for just being an accessible down to earth person, plus being involved with the right projects at the right time. If all the potential leads for The Matrix hadn't bailed / avoided the project, and he hadn't run across it when he did and gelled with the Wachowskis, I'm not sure if we'd even remember much of him nowadays -- it was what boosted his star into orbit.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 12:09 AM
-->
I watched... Shazam? I'm not sure why... I blame external forces, since I have long since lost any hope for DC. It's tone was wildly inconsistent. Every successive scene felt more and more random and disjointed. It almost seemed like half the movie was missing. Zackary Levi's competence as a comedic actor is it's only selling point imo.

@Serac
It's Wachowski sisters

In accordance with pc law you will now be black bagged and summarily executed by the sjw secret police.
I’d like to use this opportunity to be classically pedantic and a grammar Nazi, pointing out that it’s is “it is” whereas “its” is the possessive form and so used in contexts such as “that’s its only value”.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The entertainment industry, along with Keanu Reeves and all the rest, is what it is. No point in holding it to any standard - just take from it what you want and waste no time judging and analyzing it, for example whether Keanu Reeves is a worthy character or not etc etc. In the end, who gives a shit

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
The entertainment industry, along with Keanu Reeves and all the rest, is what it is. No point in holding it to any standard - just take from it what you want and waste no time judging and analyzing it, for example whether Keanu Reeves is a worthy character or not etc etc. In the end, who gives a shit

Arguing for apathy? Is that mentally ideal or mentally healthy? Is it a good emotional response to what you dislike or think is bad?

I have a tendency for apathy myself, but idk if I'd recommend it to others or whether it's good for my mental health longterm

--

Saw I am mother. It's the typical movie that's more interesting to teenagers who haven't seen much sci fi etc than some old, apathetic person who's seen it all before. So I'd recommend it to younger people, but it's a no-go for older people

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Isn't that apathy? When do you use focus and energy? How often do you think to yourself this person with vastly different beliefs/ opinions should be argued with?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I Am Mother was better than I had expected, but I don't think I'd watch it again, especially in terms of how long it took to get up to speed. It's kind of cobbled together of ideas from better films. In its favor, Clara Rugaard (the girl) was solid and I think we will see more of her; It also does have some mystery about it, leaving things for the viewer to figure out in the last half hour. I appreciate that it seemed to work on one level but in the end with more knowledge it's clear there's something more going on.

Then again, it's the kind of thing I've seen done before in better films.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
That seems a little unfair to me. Dudes had a rough life and is a well known for philanthropy. Hardly just an emo advertising icon.

Just watched captain marvel yestetday. It was a lot like Top Gun. A gay Air Force advertisement. I liked it more than Wonder Woman and a lot more than Shazam.
So you just watched Shazam? That Captain Marvel is supposed to be better or more pure than Marvel’s because it was first and Marvel only used the opportunity to get the rights to have the name.

It didn’t seem like an Air Force advertisement. There’s usually always military stuff in action movies. Wonder Woman was okay. I haven’t seen Shazam yet because I was still thinking about it. If anything the comedy should be subtle. Plus he just looks weird, I’m not sure what kind of message they were trying to spread.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Finished the 2019 version of Pet Sematary. Sigh. I had some high hopes, acting was fine, great production quality -- but the script just wasn't there. It was KIND of there but not really; and in fact, then it takes a hard left turn away from the book in the middle, and then proceeds to become a total cluster... but if you accept that it's off the book path and just try to take it for what it is, it's hilarious and completely off the rails. I mean, the audacity was kind of amusing and I laughed a ton (was I supposed to be laughing?), although I'd rather have a decent film version of King's book and probably won't ever watch this film again. the book is just pretty great and has all this inherent pathos and human tragedy that neither film version even came close to capturing.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
john wick 3.

high table is pretty stupid IMO, and i was suprised by the end.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
All you did was get bitter because you paid to see a film in theaters?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
So you just got bitter because you paid to see a film in theaters?

movies is like an acid trip except you need to buy tickets for entrance.

Volstar

home is where your heart is
Local time
-->
ok, i came here looking for inspiration, i'll leave some recommendations off the top of my head

wind river 8/10, nice story, lofi characters and ambience, my type of thing
midsommar 8/10 saw it in the cinema with a friend who thought it was boring and all over the place, i liked it. maybe a bit too long. soundtrack was crushing.
you were never really there 6/10 kinda sad meaning, like nihilistic so on, a modern version of taxi driver, kinda boring sometimes
47 meters down 7/10 cool movie about sharks and being out of luck in everysense
us 6/10 kinda off putting, i was very hyped for this one
green book 7/10 disappointed about them not being real friends during the real life events, still worth watching

today i'm watching 3 billboard outside ebbing, missouri, apparently great movie according to critics

Volstar

Local time
-->
3 billboards outside ebbing, Missouri - 8/10. Revenge begets revenge.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
midsommar 8/10 saw it in the cinema with a friend who thought it was boring and all over the place, i liked it. maybe a bit too long. soundtrack was crushing.

ha Wait until you see the 171 minute director's cut.

I'm still catching up on small indie films this year (so I have some stuff yet to watch), but for a 2019 where the large releases have been kinda meh, at least I was smiling through a lot of this film. It's so off the rails but Aster shows a lot of confidence in tackling the subject matter and taking his time to let the scenes breathe. Pretty ballsy film, and I liked how there's hallucinogenic-like fluctuations in the backgrounds (like the breathing flower) throughout parts of the film.

today i'm watching 3 billboard outside ebbing, missouri, apparently great movie according to critics

Liked it, two great performances and I appreciate how it has an open ending, but I haven't been motivated to rewatch.

Wind River was pretty cool too, same scripter as Hell or High Water and similar.

Volstar

Local time
-->

ha Wait until you see the 171 minute director's cut.

I'm still catching up on small indie films this year (so I have some stuff yet to watch), but for a 2019 where the large releases have been kinda meh, at least I was smiling through a lot of this film. It's so off the rails but Aster shows a lot of confidence in tackling the subject matter and taking his time to let the scenes breathe. Pretty ballsy film, and I liked how there's hallucinogenic-like fluctuations in the backgrounds (like the breathing flower) throughout parts of the film.

Liked it, two great performances and I appreciate how it has an open ending, but I haven't been motivated to rewatch.

Wind River was pretty cool too, same scripter as Hell or High Water and similar.

so i wasn't the only one thinking the film was about what we both know is about. hehe. i thought it looked a lot like some experiences i have already been through lately. XD

in 3 billboards i loved when lannister is having dinner with the girl.
i'll check hell or high water cuz i kinda ran out of stuff.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->
Doctor Strange
Thanks for mentioning it @Animekitty

Very much enjoyed it for the reason that it was much more directly relatable to questions I've encountered in my life. Much less of the typical necessity to have extended tolerance for emotional erraticness or action fluff to absorb learnings throughout character development.

The acquisition and application of the super power seemed more realistic than other super heroes I've seen before, which made it more "believable" that it was a "super power" that humans are more likely to be able to harness.

Beyond the illustration of why it absolutely matters to reach the peak of understanding of something you're passionate about is the notion that settling for a mediocre understanding can make the difference between life or death, literally and figuratively; Why leave occurrences up to convenience and chance when things can be learned and applied in a way to minimize or eradicate room for error?

It was a touch dry and devoid of emotional depth and complexity, and it didn't seem to be characteristically evident how the protagonist could so easily make certain pivotal mental shifts from his former to newfound beliefs. Clearly some gaps of beat development there, but I suppose it was almost intentional to de-emphasize what shouldn't matter in the game of morality - hesitation in the face of dire urgency and rapidly cascading risk and consequence.

It was nevertheless refreshing without being endlessly thought-provoking.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
Last movie I watched was probably bladerunner, it was great.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
My viewing of 2019 films has been horrible, I've only seen a handful and just am not much motivated right now. However, I did do my glut of halloween films + a few recent things so... here is the last few weeks (every year I do a 13-horror-film run to celebrate halloween), and then I got a new TV so I was going nuts watching what 4K films I could get my hands on:

Annihilation (4K)
Lake Mungo
Absentia
Southbound
Murder Party
Possession (1981)
Nosferatu The Vampyr (Werner Herzog)
Shutter (original Korean/Thai)
Trick r Treat
The Lighthouse (2019) -- actually went to theater
The Holiday
Suspiria (2018)
Veronica
Siren (2015) -- expansion of Amateur Night, 1st piece of V/H/S film
HTTYD: The Hidden World (4K)
Cloud Atlas
Terminator Dark Fate (theater)
Doctor Sleep (theater)
Inception (4K)
Arrival (4K)

Watched parts of HTTYD 1, parts of Tangled, and half of The Prestige in 4K. I read reviews on all 4K discs before I upgrade, since sometimes the upgrade isn't worth it. The Prestige is one of my favorite movies ever and I ended up locating and buying the Hong Kong version because Disney was doing the 4K release here in the US and the reviewer said they cut corners, used the old bluray release instead of the one Nolan approved, and only included 2 discs instead of 3 in the package. [You can also buy the 7 film package of Nolan 4K, but it's expensive + it cuts Insomnia and Memento so that it can stuff the three Batman films in.]

The 4K version of The Prestige is incredible, the color and detail just pops. It's like watching a new film, there were things I just never noticed before visually and even a few quietly spoken lines. I am also surprised at how good some of the animated films can look -- because remember they are rendered, all the detail has to be added by animators if it's going to show up in the higher rez. There was just stuff I hadn't really noticed before, like the intricate threadplay on Rapunzel's dress or the intricate scaling of Toothless's skin.

(I did a major overhaul on my cinema setup this year -- got a 4K player, a 4K TV, and even a soundbar when there was a big sale over the summer. I just don't have satellite speakers or anything.) I love film, so to me it was worth it.

Even the Inception upgrade was said to be "decent, sufficient" but not quite as good as what you'd hope for. I agreed with that when I watched it, most of the inside stuff is better but not a huge leap from the bluray... however, the outdoor shots really looked incredible (like the limbo city, Mumbasa -- well, it's actually Tangier IRL, the snowscape, etc.). It's like any place where there's good lighting, there's a chance for all that detailing to pop.

So i wasn't the only one thinking the film was about what we both know is about. hehe. i thought it looked a lot like some experiences i have already been through lately. XD

yeah -- that's not something I have experienced particularly myself at this point (I've had some, uh, other experiences)... but I went out to visit my cousin in Chicago recently and she had also seen the film and she said it was spot-on ROFL... We ended up watching the first hour again together or so...

I really wish they would release a 4K version. The bluray is pretty incredible looking in itself tho on my 4K set. so impressed by the cinematography here.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I am going to watch the terminator dark fate, but people keep giving shit reviews

because i am contrarian.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I am going to watch the terminator dark fate, but people keep giving shit reviews

because i am contrarian.

It was okay. Let us know what you thought.

(basically if you saw Terminator 2, Dark Fate has the same themes but less so, and hands off the storyline to other characters.)

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Joker. Thought this would be an ok movie, but it's actually very bad. It seems to be written by someone who can't relate to struggling people at all. Really, the "guy gets humiliated on national tv" was considered a good trope and good reason for someone to freak out? Being humiliated on TV is really not the reason why people end up killing others. In addition the majority of conflicts are so superficial and dumb. It's like the writer wrote the story based on stereotypes and what he think people struggling goes through.

And, sure, the main reason people get bullied randomly is because some weird illness, like randomly laughing, it's not because sometimes people are shit and target random traits in others which they decide to bully

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
-->
I saw The Platform on a whim. It was freaky, but not because of the horror elements, but because of the symbolism it has with society and its levels of money, power, and social class. It just seems like such an apt comparison in how people view and treat one another, depending on their level.

fishhead

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:09 PM
-->
Parasite, and holy shit the female lead was good. Also, I think this is much better than Snowpiercer.

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
-->
^ I need to see that. Heard it's the same director.

Top Bottom