• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Words that piss you off

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:10 AM
-->
For me they are: organic, gaffe, regime change, successful, bro, republican, resonance, implement, trickle down, soulmate, congratulations, gluten-free, brony, adorable, chakras, alt-rock, alimony, great, literally, okey-dokey, family-friendly, huggable, spunky, chastity, swell, all-around, meltdown, zany, vintage, nexus, post traumatic stress disorder, electoral college, stressed, confluence, assimilate, OCD, amazing, ticklish, spirituality, quality control, pre-owned, vegan, unbelievable, campaign contribution, fantastic, fluffy, girls' night out, unwind, breath-taking, just pay shipping and handling, magical, catastrophe, nitpick, quirky, relativism, drone, superstar, wow, trolling, cool, spiritual but not religious, psychedelic, rebel, crystal healing, MSG, fundamental, homeland security, checkmate, bromance, baby on board, best, grassroots, irregardless, groovy, boner, faith, pro-life, oops, guesstimate, collaborative, progressive, lovemaking, quantitative easing, man cave, coalition, crazy, and awesome. :D *catches breath*

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:10 AM
-->
Mostly words and phrases that were thrown around in my business strategy course:

Innovation, ideation, (social) entrepreneurship, sustainability, green _____, deliverable, value-add(ed), networking, real-world experience, synergy, best practices, going forward, win-win, LEVERAGE (holy shit I hate how that is used in non-finance business contexts), benchmark, diversity, holistic, global economy, global anything, social media, grassroots, guerilla marketing.

I'll think of more later.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Mostly words and phrases that were thrown around in my business strategy course:

Innovation, ideation, (social) entrepreneurship, sustainability, green _____, deliverable, value-add(ed), networking, real-world experience, synergy, best practices, going forward, win-win, LEVERAGE (holy shit I hate how that is used in non-finance business contexts), benchmark, diversity, holistic, global economy, global anything, social media, grassroots, guerilla marketing.

Global anything. :D

Goddammit, I dislike holistic too.

Synergy...those are good. :slashnew:

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
-->
"Weird" because it's used to enforce the status quo.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
-->

This. Except it doesn't even matter what the words are. They just steal a word or make something up like ideation, and then they beat it to death over and over and over so that it loses all meaning. I barely even have contact with these people, and it still drives me nuts.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:10 AM
-->
For me they are: organic, gaffe, regime change, successful, bro, republican, resonance, implement, trickle down, soulmate, congratulations, gluten-free, brony, adorable, chakras, alt-rock, alimony, great, literally, okey-dokey, family-friendly, huggable, spunky, chastity, swell, all-around, meltdown, zany, vintage, nexus, post traumatic stress disorder, electoral college, stressed, confluence, assimilate, OCD, amazing, ticklish, spirituality, quality control, pre-owned, vegan, unbelievable, campaign contribution, fantastic, fluffy, girls' night out, unwind, breath-taking, just pay shipping and handling, magical, catastrophe, nitpick, quirky, relativism, drone, superstar, wow, trolling, cool, spiritual but not religious, psychedelic, rebel, crystal healing, MSG, fundamental, homeland security, checkmate, bromance, baby on board, best, grassroots, irregardless, groovy, boner, faith, pro-life, oops, guesstimate, collaborative, progressive, lovemaking, quantitative easing, man cave, coalition, crazy, and awesome. :D *catches breath*
What's wrong with the underlined ones? They seem perfectly fine to me. Honestly, how can you hate resonance?

420MuNkEy

Banned
Local time
Today 2:10 AM
-->
Non-words that annoy me: "atleast", "alot", and "aswell"

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Haha, are you trying to find out which words to use to piss us off?

per se
Jesus (x) Christ [when used as an interjection]
smth

Non-words that annoy me: "atleast", "alot", and "aswell"
What about 'thru' tho? :P

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Other than YOLO, I cannot come up with any words or expressions that I genuinly hate. :(

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I don't like ambiguous words and phrases used to either make something look good or bad, "experts (agree), "chemicals", "toxins", "study (studies)", "(all) natural", "extracts", "organic" is what I can come up with at the moment.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't like ambiguous words and phrases used to either make something look good or bad, "experts (agree), "chemicals", "toxins", "study (studies)", "(all) natural", "extracts", "organic" is what I can come up with at the moment.

Scientific studies show that mercury is the all natural treat that's fun to eat. It's organic. :D

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 3:10 PM
-->
gifted,prodigy,fuel efficient,hybrid,leaf,big bucks, smart money, cash, dough, college, university, blocks, organic, healthy, nootropics, successful, depressed, and actually every slang for money is irritating.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:40 PM
-->
'Literally' - because it has literally become gap filler in people's sentences. It no longer has meaning, and every time I hear it out of context makes me dislike the speaker more.

'Technically' - because every time I hear the word it seems as if the person who says it is implying that they have thought of something you haven't. People do sometimes think of things I haven't, but those people don't begin their sentences with 'technically'.

'Bob' - the generic name everyone on the internet gives to anything seemingly at random. Hipster bullshit startup fucks.

'Random' - Don't get me started on this shit. Unexpected maybe, but not random.

'Douche' - the biggest douche I know used to say this word more often than any other curse word. I think that having heard it so many times simultaneously to me thinking he was a hypocrite has conditioned me to cringe every time I hear the word.

'lol' - used to get on my nerves but I think I've been desensitised. It still pisses me off when someone tries to do something clever with it such as 'roflcopter' and the like.

'troll' - is beginning to get on my nerves because I use it to mean something different. When a friend claims to be trolling me, I think 'no, you're just being a prick'. It came to my attention recently that these two things are basically synonymous (not my romanticised version where a troll needs to at least be clever). This makes me think the word pointless.

I also hate pretty much any slang term for marijuana. It's moronic to saturate your culture with a plethora of words for such a simple thing. I would understand if they were trying to hide the fact they consumed illicit drugs, but this is exactly the opposite of what these people are generally trying to do.

Howitzer

Local time
Today 8:10 AM
-->
It's horrible hearing babies referred to as "Baby" like a generic name, rather than "your baby" or whatever on TV. Is this an American thing maybe? It seemed to start happening a few years ago here :S

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
usernames that contain no individuality (or no neutral placeholder, like a regular name), actually usernames that get in the way of associating individuality, like [insert name of featureless flower amongst a field of flowers, like a sunflower] or "intp" (on an intp board, really?) or usernames that are downright anti-human like "bologna" (anything i may put in my mouth is not a person, but bologna is worse, since i wouldn't even eat that)

the worst username ever:
"i have forgotten my password so i created a new account, sorry!!!!"

this crazy person is using this username since more than a year now. and she doesn't have an avatar. and posts daily. has nothing to say, though.

other than that i can echo a dislike for some postmodern business slang, like entrepreneurship and "leadership" (referring to any self-improvement, being your own man)

but i don't have a list of words on my mind

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
-->
Phrase: "it is what it is"

Although, I have incorporated this into my repertoire. It comes in handy to deflect just about anything that anyone can say.

Use it wisely though. It can generally only be used once per argument per person per week; otherwise, they'll catch on.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
What's wrong with the underlined ones? They seem perfectly fine to me. Honestly, how can you hate resonance?

Catastrophe and meltdown have been vitiated and rendered hackneyed and unconcerning through media overuse. Literally is (literally?) oftentimes misused. Resonance is this NF new agey term and epistemological nihilism (~relativism) is absurd. Blurting "relativism" is oftentimes a technique for writing off someone sans intellectual analysis when the "relativist" is losing the argument. Finally, checkmate is used by pompous dirtbags who fallaciously assume they've won an argument. :D

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
usernames that contain no individuality (or no neutral placeholder, like a regular name), actually usernames that get in the way of associating individuality, like [insert name of featureless flower amongst a field of flowers, like a sunflower] or "intp" (on an intp board, really?) or usernames that are downright anti-human like "bologna" (anything i may put in my mouth is not a person, but bologna is worse, since i wouldn't even eat that)

the worst username ever:
"i have forgotten my password so i created a new account, sorry!!!!"

this crazy person is using this username since more than a year now. and she doesn't have an avatar. and posts daily. has nothing to say, though.

other than that i can echo a dislike for some postmodern business slang, like entrepreneurship and "leadership" (referring to any self-improvement, being your own man)

but i don't have a list of words on my mind

Worst ever? That's somewhat funny and ironic. :slashnew:

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->
Very few words. I have my use for most.
Pupils (when used to describe students)
Period (when uses to describe a woman's menses)

I'm more annoyed with particular phrases:
"Meant to be"
"All of a sudden"
"Literally... followed by something that is clearly NOT literal"
"It's all good"
"Like, seriously?"
"Never that"

probably so many more.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Very few words. I have my use for most.
Pupils (when used to describe students)
Period (when uses to describe a woman's menses)

I'm more annoyed with particular phrases:
"Meant to be"
"All of a sudden"
"Literally... followed by something that is clearly NOT literal"
"It's all good"
"Like, seriously?"
"Never that"

probably so many more.

Whatever. :D

Yeah "meant to be" posits this phony fate overlay onto reality.

Those were literally the best phrases. All of a sudden I said, these are great. :elephant:

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
This. Except it doesn't even matter what the words are. They just steal a word or make something up like ideation, and then they beat it to death over and over and over so that it loses all meaning. I barely even have contact with these people, and it still drives me nuts.

I remember the first time my business strategy professor used the word "ideation."

He said, "If we (America) are going to hang our hat on innovation and ideation--"

And then I lost consciousness from repeatedly slamming my face into my desk.

EDIT: Like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6v6Ue5LjdTg

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Dr. Freeman

In a place outside of time
Local time
-->
People "axing" me questions.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
People "axing" me questions.

It makes me want to hit them with a colourful axe and declaring myself an historic, honourable person.

How I loathe the Queen's English.

-Duxwing

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:40 PM
-->
No offense intended snafu, but you just reminded me of another of my peeves.

The communicated observation of irony...
It just feels bad, irony is a thing of beauty particularly when it remains subtle. It should not be made obvious.

^
Obvious. I hate it when people preface a statement with 'obviously'. The person mongering social clout to convince you of a point at best, and misunderstanding the connotations of the word at worst. If it is obvious, then it should not need to be said, let alone the further offense of stating it's obvious nature, as that should also be fucking obvious! (obviously)>:smoker:

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
"Evolution" because it's often used in inappropriate contexts, most often misappropriated by social darwinists.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:10 PM
-->
Words in themselves don't piss me off, it's the lack of precision in language that gets me :beatyou:...

Yup, pedantic as usual.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:10 AM
-->
It's horrible hearing babies referred to as "Baby" like a generic name, rather than "your baby" or whatever on TV. Is this an American thing maybe? It seemed to start happening a few years ago here :S

I've written about that elsewhere. Yes that really gets on my nerve, as in "What do to when Baby is on the way". Makes first time parents sound like blathering idiots, well which they kind of are I guess.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Thought of another one: social justice.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Words can be used elegantly or be abused meticulously, but the words themselves are neutral to me.

I mean, getting emotional just by seeing some words without even caring about context? :slashnew:

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 5:10 AM
-->
dish, culture, barometer, utilize, snafupants, workaholic, [left/right]-hand, fax,

H1N1

Banned
Local time
-->
When anyone replies with, "yeah, but", or "yeah, well". I will immediately consider anything that comes from your mouth invalid once you've uttered those words.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When anyone replies with, "yeah, but", or "yeah, well". I will immediately consider anything that comes from your mouth invalid once you've uttered those words.

It's really because of the antagonistic, glib, or uncaring sentiment those words betray rather than solely the words' hackneyed nature, at least for me. Someone who's intently listening and eager to learn isn't going to say "whatever" or "yeah, well" every two minutes. I basically find it disrespectful and close-minded. I'm also uncomfortable whenever people prod the speaker (or me) with these directive terms like "right" or "OK" mid-speech because it illustrates their confirmation bias and unwillingness to receive novel information. These same folks get demonstrably cross when an anecdote doesn't square with their reality tunnel. It's actually a big problem - people only watch stations and read magazines that vindicate their packaged biases. That shows fear.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yeeah weell, @snafupants people also say "right" and "OK" to acknowledge they're listening to you. :D

@Fukyo

Sometimes. People with strong Te employ these terms to strong-arm the conversation though. I know the difference between my grandmother gingerly slurring "OK" once (after her second, reluctant yet ineluctable, helping of fucking Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookies) versus some schmuck saying "right" seven times per minute. :D

Personification

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Other than YOLO, I cannot come up with any words or expressions that I genuinly hate. :(

And that is an abbreviation for "You Only Live Once". Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. . .

Aww, does that mean I am on your "list" ?

For me they are: bro, brony, literally, okey-dokey, spunky, [spiritual but not religious*], bromance, irregardless, guesstimate, :D
* - That's a thing?

I agree with the ones above taken from your quote. I know someone who uses irregardless and it is incredibly annoying. Most of the others are just somewhere in the vague direction of annoying or mildly unpleasant. Except the last one, that one is ferocious and I am glad you recognize it as a foul "word".

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I mean, getting emotional just by seeing some words without even caring about context? :slashnew:
I don't like 'Jesus Christ' as an interjection because it conveys emotion...

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 8:10 AM
-->
gay (used in the context of describing something negative), gum, frock, titties, bitch, hope, drink, toddler, shiny, PRETTY. I hate precious sounding words. Also Americanisms like "totally" and others.

I won't get angry about any of them though, although I often point out the first one.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:10 PM
-->
I don't hate the word, but the current usage of the word, 'epic'.

people also say "right" and "OK" to acknowledge they're listening to you.

I agree with this. I feel like I'm not being a good listener if I just say nothing, like the person will think I've zoned out. I've never really interpreted it as something that means people are trying to strong-arm the conversation.

Although I have a pretty strong Te, so maybe you're right. I can't say I've ever been annoyed by or that I see anything inherently wrong with a response of, 'yeah, but X'.

If I propose an idea to my boss and he says, 'Yeah, but if we do that, it's going to mean we need to rework bla and bla to achieve the desired result.'

He's not only acknowledged my idea, but he's understood and sees what it could also lead to. This isn't displaying a lack of understanding or interest to me, this is demonstrating the presence of them. In this case - I acknowledge your idea and see the potential merits, but there is this potential pitfall - have you considered this? If I have and I have a way of circumventing or preventing any pitfalls, I can communicate it.

I'm fine with people using, 'Yeah, well' or, 'Yeah, but' as a response. They're engaging in conversation by providing a counterpoint.

I might get mad if they make a stupid counterpoint, but not because they started it with, 'Yeah, well.'

Talk about unrealistic expectations of people. Apparently you want people to be able to read your minds. I might like that sometimes too, but it's not going to happen.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I don't like 'Jesus Christ' as an interjection because it conveys emotion...

Even if it is intended as humour?

Regardless, it's different seeing something in context and just looking at something and be annoyed. If you have such strong biases against words, that might influence your interpretaton of, for instance, a post.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Even if it is intended as humour?
It's too exaggerated as an expression of negative emotion, it makes a person seem irritable and arrogant rather than funny. I don't like hearing it either.

Regardless, it's different seeing something in context and just looking at something and be annoyed. If you have such strong biases against words, that might influence your interpretaton of, for instance, a post.
Yes, I agree. I prefer that when communicating seriously, posts (and speech) lack emotive language to help be neutral, direct and clear as possible.

7even

Local time
-->
Sup bro,

This morning, I woke up after a successful day at work with a boner, my soulmate thought it was pretty adorable. I had the most fantastic and organic breakfast too; suitable even for my girl who's vegan, t'was just swell, I recommend MSG, it's fundamental, the grassroots of authentic American meals! Anyway, yesterday, after my girl and I were done lovemaking, she said she had had a spiritual but not religious experience and that I had given a breath-taking and spunky performance; So she's all stress-free now, as I am writing this letter to you.

Anyway, 2 nights ago Mike and I were at a groovy alt-rock bar trolling, there were lots of quirky people about. At one point, we bumped into this republican who was part of the electoral college, right? Wow, the shit that was coming out of his mouth was unbelievable; he'd obviously had a bit to drink, and kept talking about how he was pro-life, and how he was practicing chastity for the purpose of a campaign contribution. I don't know why, but I literally wanted to knock this guy out; so immediately I started mentally guesstimating points of his body that would cause crazy damage if my fist came into contact with. However, it occurred to me that Jess was having a 'girls' night out' and my house was vacant; so I formed a coalition with Mike and we decided we would kidnap him irregardless of his political position. We got the bugger real drunk, and guided him to Mike's car - I'm telling you, baby on board, man; he droned continuously, was so gaffe!

We finally arrived to our man cave, and this guy would just not stop talking, particularly about implementing some amazing regime change to evade a market meltdown. He also mentioned how he was dating this superstar despite practicing chastity. I'm telling you, Snafu, I hate republicans, so I tied him up to a chair, with the help of Mike, we tied a pretty awesome knot together; in addition to shoving a fluffy towel in his mouth to shut him up. Right, anyway, you know the myth about all Republicans being ticklish? - Well, me and Mike tested this myth, and apparently not. So we started to throw a few jabs, that got progressively stronger, and then we unwound him from the chair, and decided to drop him off a good distance away, in case anyone called homeland security, it was for the best, ha!

Okey-dokey so now Mike and I are feeling pretty rebellious, all-around we've had a pretty zany and interesting day. We switched on the TV and had a couple of beers; we discussed the possibility of that republican suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, now that would be just great. We decided to hit some psychedelics I had hidden in the man cave; for a magical, spiritual experience, and to develop our bromance. So we engulfed some and waited...

While waiting, we started to engage in an intellectual argument about the nexus between religion, relativism, and faith, which ended with me shouting "checkmate!" having proved a valid point; however, the argument raised up some thought provoking points through collaboration and assimilation; even though I did a lot of nitpicking. We then moved on to playing chess on a pre-owned chess board I bought during a garage sale, Mike then went to the toilet, and on the way, he managed to tip over some vintage wine and said "oops!".

Fuck, not cool, this is going to be a catastrophe for Alice; she has bloody OCD! So I said:
"Congratulations Mike! Now I'm probably going to have to provide alimony to Alice."
"Sorry man, at-least you won't have to stick to gluten-free foods anymore."
...And then suddenly, our chakras started to begin.

...Just for you, @snafupants :)

Anyhow, I couldn't care less about how a person chooses to express himself. Unless, of-course, he/she is being disrespectful and hostile in any manner. Otherwise, he/she can use any word they want to use, no matter how idiotic it sounds.

EDIT: No, wait, YOLO, definitely pisses me off.

H1N1

Banned
Local time
-->
Okay, here's another thing that pisses me off. You're trying to explain a simple god damn concept to someone and they don't understand. You're asking a question, you rephrase it, you demonstrate. They still don't fucking understand. Then, instead of trying to understand they just say, "forget it."

Oh really? Okay. Fuck you asshole.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
^ Damnit! You said 'really'! FUCK! :)

Another word that pisses me off...'whatever'. My eldest son just said it to his brother. I actually felt little brother's rage.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
-->
I hate pet peeves. Like when people have problems with trivial things like certain words, or what shoes you wear..

Sorry guys, had to say it :P

Crocket

Local time
-->
"Coolio", is pretty much the only one I can think of. Unless you're actually talking about the rapper.

And YOLO can be sweet in writing as well as in real life, in the right (preferably dry) context:

Seems like he finally decided to date rape his neighbor's dog. YOLO.

Top Bottom