• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do so many INTPs like anime?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:04 AM
-->
I freaking hate 99.9 percent of it. There is just too much cute stuff in it. Also it makes me think of Japanese people has freaks. Either as having some freaky fetish or as desiring to be in constant conflict with little reason for said conflict. Take pokemon for instance, if someone sent their electric hamster to attack my dog, I would call the cops on them. That guy isn’t a hero he is a dick.
A lot of this comes from a difference in cultures, for example from a Japanese perspective western culture is rampant with machoism, in fact DBZ as most western audiences know it is derived from a Japanese franchise which is almost completely different. In the Japanese DBZ cartoons the hero is some monkey-child learning lessons of life and morality as he quests to keep the various MacGuffins out of evil hands, which of course has never been very popular with western audiences. Anyway the point I'm getting at in a roundabout way is that the Japanese aren’t just overtly tolerant of "cuteness", there's also a great intolerance of it by western cultures, we've grown up with this perception that being associated with anything marginally cute is to have our manliness undermined.

Then again the Japanese are shamelessly weird too.
In what other country would a billboard of a clearly underage girl (anime of course) in minimal clothing or indeed her underwear, being depicted in a provocative pose be considered socially acceptable?
Well of course you have to understand the culture behind it, remember the religions of Shinto and Buddhism are completely different to western religions and as such our notions of shame are simply bizarre to them. So even though the billboard in question would be seen as distasteful (just as we see it to be) there's no reason to take offence to it, after all it's just a picture, it's not hurting anyone.

In many ways their culture is more mature then ours, then again in terms of xenophobia and this obsessive focus on youth, we’re a bit more grounded.

dawd

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:04 PM
-->
I don't understand why there is this huge discrepancy between people who like anime, and those who don't. Isn't it just another medium for stories to be told and art to be portrayed? Japanese producers could take a foreign book and make an anime that closely follows this book, and it would essentially be the same thing. I don't get it.

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
I used to like anime a lot when I was a kid. What I found so appealing about it was that compared to American cartoon shows on a the time, it was so EXOTIC, novel, and the plots would actually have a continuous story .. as apposed to a strictly "monster of the week" format. (Think Power rangers or ninja turtles).

The other thing I really liked about it is that it seemed to be the only thing on my radar at the time (mid to late 90's / early 2000's) willing to take incredibly fantastical subjects and worldbuilding... but have a "serious" plot and characters. I especially loved the more serious / dramatic animes such as Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, Akira and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I never cared for the cutesy / silly side of it.

Why I don't really like anime now - most of the new stuff that I have seen seems not very creative and entirely derivative. When I started liking it was rare, exotic and every show seemed to be innovative and stand out from the rest of anime... while still maintaining some traditions. Now it seems like it's all traditions and cliches and little actual content. It's like the medium of anime is the end in and of itself, and NOT just an interesting vehicle to express great stories / characters / ideas. I don't care about preserving the look and feel of anime at all, I wish they had made it more varied and other styles branched off of it... I don't like that so much of it looks so similar.

Also cutesy silly anime seems to be the most prolific now from my point of view.

The other thing that really bothers me about it now, is that it is all mostly from a teenage point of view. It hasn't aged well... and is much harder to relate to as an adult. Even the most serious / dramatic ones I used to like still feel a little adolescent in their perspectives. At the time Anime was on the forefront telling great stories (at least from what my pool contained)... now a lot of American television like Lost, Hannibal, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones I think has largely surpassed Anime in terms of character development and plot. A lot of anime doesn't focus on character development as strongly... an exception to that would be something like "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood"

A good exception to plot vs. American shows I think would be "Death Note". The cat and mouse game they play is incredibly complex and enjoyable as an adult, as is the overall concept.

The Void

Banned
Local time
Today 7:04 PM
-->
Why not?

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Today 9:04 PM
-->
I am gonna repeat some of what above posters said but:

It's just another medium to convey stories and ideas. Some of them would be too resource hogging to be made as live-action movies.

I like anime in the same way I like movies. There are some I love, some I despise and then a whole lot I haven't seen yet.

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
Today 8:04 PM
-->
Yah, well Hitler also liked wearing clothes.

Can we turn this into a What Would Hitler Do thread?

Yeah, clothes are terrible. Personally I don't wear clothes because why would I want to be like Hitler?

If it's cold outside I smear nutella all over my body for insulation.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->
[bimgx=700]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15201559/Grab/SS-20140126-122127.png[/bimgx]

Philistines.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 11:04 AM
-->
I don't understand why there is this huge discrepancy between people who like anime, and those who don't. Isn't it just another medium for stories to be told and art to be portrayed? Japanese producers could take a foreign book and make an anime that closely follows this book, and it would essentially be the same thing. I don't get it.

Speaking as a former anime/manga fan, I know what interested me at first was having more content of the shows I already liked in graphical book form(at the time I was also big on reading in general). Then it became a hobby in and of itself, I liked reading those Japanese comics with good stories and visuals.

Similar to what Cognisant mentioned, if you really get into the depth of manga/anime you see more of the strange cultural side of Japan that isn't typical of America/the Western world, so it has its own appeal outside of being 'another medium for stories to be told and art to be portrayed'.

Apart from nostalgia, I still respect some works out there, ones that have an "eastern spiritual" feel to it or embraces cyberpunk themes. Anything other than that seems to be mostly material targeted at quirky adolescence that I either don't find entertaining or easy to relate to anymore.

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->
Apart from nostalgia, I still respect some works out there, ones that have an "eastern spiritual" feel to it or embraces cyberpunk themes.

What are the best anime's you've seen like that?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Spirited Away and Whisper of the Heart both by Studio Ghibli, can't recall any others. Ghost in the Shell, Battle Angel Alita, Cowboy Bebop, and Akira.

Steven Gerrard

Singing or frowning
Local time
-->
Yeah Ghibli films are brilliant.

I'll check out the others.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->
I wish they would have continued Berserk...

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
According to my INFJ artist it's probably because INTP's have such a poor visual sense. Our art tends to be juvenile, so anime would likely also appeal to us. I've never had a taste for it myself, though my visual sense is especially poor.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 2:04 AM
-->
Most of the comments here are about shonen and shojo anime/manga which are marketed to young boys and girls. How about seinen and josei which are marketed to older people?

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:04 AM
-->
I like the Ghibli films.

Other than that I cannot say I have a thing for it. I did when I was 11-12 years old; I was obsessed with Star Blazers to the point of being slightly delusional. I think it was some sort of extreme form of escapism.

Beowulf

Local time
-->
I have tried so hard to get into anime and like it because of some friends but i never seem to get into it in a way others do.

MasterProcrastinator

Procrastination is an art
Local time
Today 1:04 PM
-->
I know a large part of why I love and enjoy anime is due to escapism. There isn't much I find interesting about reality with the exception of new and innovative technology and science/the Universe in general. I also enjoy the art styles and the many themes that anime and the authors often explore.

It's not something everyone will enjoy, for various reasons, but it sure beats reality television. I'm sure that's something most of us, maybe not all, can agree on.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->
Did you read the manga? Great, great stuff.

I think the manga is still going, the last volume came out in march 2013.

I followed it for a bit, but it took a long time for new chapters to come out that I eventually lost interest because there was such a long period in between that I would kind of forget what was going on. I'll have to see what I've missed over the past 4 or so years.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
I watched those cartoons when I was a young kid. I thought they were fun.

idokaiho

Hive Maker
Local time
-->
very differently than the all too tiresome western point of view... different takes on sexuality, love, religion, justice, life....

The influence of Japanese culture is a huge reason I like anime.

I absolutely despise anime, its one big cliche that too many people drool over. It always is stupid story lines, and seems like really bad acting. They all are drawn the same and they all have the same feeling that i just dont like.

Most anime are generic and annoy me. Maybe you have just seen the wrong ones?

A lot of this comes from a difference in cultures

the Japanese are shamelessly weird too.

Well of course you have to understand the culture behind it, remember the religions of Shinto and Buddhism are completely different to western religions and as such our notions of shame are simply bizarre to them.

In many ways their culture is more mature then ours, then again in terms of xenophobia and this obsessive focus on youth, we’re a bit more grounded.

Japan definitely produces things that are very weird but they also often recognize it as such.

You are right in that Japanese culture has been influenced by Shinto and Buddhist values but I just want to point out that most Japanese don't consider themselves religious.

I also agree that Japanese culture is more mature than American culture in very many (IMO) ways and there are some distinct unfortunate cultural norms like the ones you pointed out. Other unfortunate cultural norms are how it is typical for Japanese to go about their business while someone is in blatant and dire need of assistance. A great anime that exemplifies this cultural trait is Psycho Pass. Watch it, it's awesome.

it was so EXOTIC, novel

The other thing I really liked about it is that it seemed to be the only thing on my radar at the time (mid to late 90's / early 2000's) willing to take incredibly fantastical subjects and worldbuilding... but have a "serious" plot and characters. I never cared for the cutesy / silly side of it.

Why I don't really like anime now - most of the new stuff that I have seen seems not very creative and entirely derivative. When I started liking it was rare, exotic and every show seemed to be innovative and stand out from the rest of anime... while still maintaining some traditions. Now it seems like it's all traditions and cliches and little actual content. It's like the medium of anime is the end in and of itself, and NOT just an interesting vehicle to express great stories / characters / ideas.

The novelty factor and serious plots and characters are definitely things that pulled me into anime. If an anime is neither of these things for me then I just don't watch it. As I do watch more anime (less often than I used to), there are more instances of me encountering derivative works but there are still novel anime to watch, I just have to wait for them to come out. Even among some anime that have derivative/generic elements there are still novel aspects that pull me in but their novelty pull on me has to be stronger than the genericness push.

Most of the comments here are about shonen and shojo anime/manga which are marketed to young boys and girls. How about seinen and josei which are marketed to older people?

ya

I know a large part of why I love and enjoy anime is due to escapism. There isn't much I find interesting about reality with the exception of new and innovative technology and science/the Universe in general. I also enjoy the art styles and the many themes that anime and the authors often explore.

It's not something everyone will enjoy, for various reasons, but it sure beats reality television. I'm sure that's something most of us, maybe not all, can agree on.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment. Reality can be so boring sometimes with its dull sameness and advances in technology and understanding do much (but not enough!) to alleviate the monotony. Anime too!

Besides the cultural differences, which I very much enjoy, the thing that really makes an anime for me is its exploration into novelty with a devotion to complexity and intelligent logical and emotional reasoning. Or even very simple and small details that are often ignored in storytelling that bring the world to life in a way that I can suspend my disbelief despite being in a fantastical setting. Another possibly key aspect that I love anime is that I reserve getting high for when I watch anime so it (getting high and watching anime) is extra special...

I have often played with the idea of erasing my memory of watching anime so that I could rewatch anime in all their unknown awesomeness.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I used to be really into it, then I grew out of it, got back into it, grew out, then semi got back into it. Anime, though, has always sucked. The mangas usually are better. It's still kind of interesting to watch a series through though.

Me, though, I was exposed to Akira as a small child then went on to discover DBZ. I always liked how Japanese animation looked better quality than American comics/cartoons. American productions were usually more simple and most of them were comedies whereas Japanese stuff usually came off as being able to be taken more serious. Some American shows nowadays are classic though, like Cow & Chicken. "I don't watch TV, I watch Netflix."

Harmonica

Captain
Local time
-->
Is anime really an INTP thing? Really? I despise anime with a vehement passion. Is it even an N thing? Why? What does being an INTP and/or general xNxx have to do with being a child molester with a squid fetish and no taste in storytelling or animation?

Harmonica

Captain
Local time
-->
According to my INFJ artist it's probably because INTP's have such a poor visual sense. Our art tends to be juvenile, so anime would likely also appeal to us. I've never had a taste for it myself, though my visual sense is especially poor.

Bro, you know Leonardo da Vinci was an xNTP right? Not all NTPs have such piss poor visual sense. On the other hand, South Park... But then that's the whole point of South Park. Anyway, I remain skeptical that there is any REAL link between INTP and anime and even if there is one I don't think that's a good explanation for it. Maybe there's a perceived link, but that's probably because the people who are likely to claim to be INTPs online are also the people who are more likely to fap over anime.

Vion

Banned
Local time
-->
Human actors are incompetent due to their affliction of inhibitions. The slightest taste of celebrity stardom does crack their fragile ego. It is entirely a mess to deal with.

But anime also forcibly ejects the OCD audience:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYUQQgogVeQY8cMQamhHJcg

The Iron man movie series really did a great job with POV and off screen trickery often taunting the audiences lack of insight in order to draw their attention and create surprise.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Infps too, or more so

Local time
-->

Love seinen :D I like manga like homunculus, oyasumi punpun and eden:it's an endless world

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Love seinen :D I like manga like homunculus, oyasumi punpun and eden:it's an endless world

Any recommended seinen list zerkalo? :D

KISS
Local time
-->
I don't think all of INTPs like anime, although I do. I prefer it than western cartoon. Western cartoon is too serious, at least for its drawing style.

By the way do we have any anime recommend thread guys?

Local time
-->
Any recommended seinen list zerkalo? :D

In addition to the ones i mentioned: Music of marie, Freesia, vagabond, the climber, liar game, rivers edge....hmm...thats all i remember right now. Used to read lots back when i was 14/15/16 :smoker:

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
In addition to the ones i mentioned: Music of marie, Freesia, vagabond, the climber, liar game, rivers edge....hmm...thats all i remember right now. Used to read lots back when i was 14/15/16 :smoker:

Thanks. I've heard a lot of good reviews about liar game. Perhaps I'll give that one a try first.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
By the way do we have any anime recommend thread guys?
There is something like that. search -> query:"anime" "recommendation"
result

There seems to be more interesting manga and estimating there is well above 70% more content there, that usually never made it to anime adaptation, the adaptation was inferior and/or they made only a few episodes from manga.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
Today 8:04 PM
-->
I like anime that are serious all the way through. Anime are too prone to fall back on cliches. Also anything with a comedy tag is to be avoided, anime does not do comedy. But a serious anime is often enlightening and far more interesting than a western TV show.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I used to like anime a lot when I was a kid. What I found so appealing about it was that compared to American cartoon shows on a the time, it was so EXOTIC, novel, and the plots would actually have a continuous story .. as apposed to a strictly "monster of the week" format. (Think Power rangers or ninja turtles).

The other thing I really liked about it is that it seemed to be the only thing on my radar at the time (mid to late 90's / early 2000's) willing to take incredibly fantastical subjects and worldbuilding... but have a "serious" plot and characters. I especially loved the more serious / dramatic animes such as Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, Akira and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex. I never cared for the cutesy / silly side of it.

Why I don't really like anime now - most of the new stuff that I have seen seems not very creative and entirely derivative. When I started liking it was rare, exotic and every show seemed to be innovative and stand out from the rest of anime... while still maintaining some traditions. Now it seems like it's all traditions and cliches and little actual content. It's like the medium of anime is the end in and of itself, and NOT just an interesting vehicle to express great stories / characters / ideas. I don't care about preserving the look and feel of anime at all, I wish they had made it more varied and other styles branched off of it... I don't like that so much of it looks so similar.

Also cutesy silly anime seems to be the most prolific now from my point of view.

The other thing that really bothers me about it now, is that it is all mostly from a teenage point of view. It hasn't aged well... and is much harder to relate to as an adult. Even the most serious / dramatic ones I used to like still feel a little adolescent in their perspectives. At the time Anime was on the forefront telling great stories (at least from what my pool contained)... now a lot of American television like Lost, Hannibal, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones I think has largely surpassed Anime in terms of character development and plot. A lot of anime doesn't focus on character development as strongly... an exception to that would be something like "Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood"

A good exception to plot vs. American shows I think would be "Death Note". The cat and mouse game they play is incredibly complex and enjoyable as an adult, as is the overall concept.

You sure you haven't just seen the right anime? Surely Anime is bigger today, so there's bound to be more crap abound, but I think there's still plenty of good stuff being made.

Still it's true when you was a teen it was like twas made for ya

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
I've tried to like anime. I thought Avatar: the Last Airbender was cute, and those silly abridged Naruto and YuGiOh were funny enough. I liked Howl's Moving Castle too. But I've tried the big, popular TV shows like Death Note, Bleach, and Full Metal Alchemist, and I just can't get into it.

I feel like such a freak *uncontrollable sobbing*

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
No no, the big shows like death note or bleach are overrated. Usually these tend to be dramatic or soap-opera like.
I agree with Setelee that comedy anime is not enjoyable and very high on cliche.

Also, sure there is probably enough books and movies to satisfy your needs for the same kind of story or depth that you will never even see the appeal of anime, because they cater to many genres and needs, but often are not easily found or overhyped.

Anime draws heavily from their manga and there is a lot more profitable yield in that realm I've found.

If you think about it, who makes anime?
People that failed to make a solo career from their story writing or manga and had to join forces with other losers like these to adapt already existing media. Of course, I won't disregard creative exceptions, which there is quite a few of.

Many people don't realise how funding works in Anime business. Big companies give some money for the first few episodes or for the first half of the season. Then they air it and gauge popular reception, if it's low then they cut funding and the rest of the story is never finished. That's how most of the anime tries to stay profitable. Catering to popular needs, fan servicing and repeating patterns that were proven to be successful in the past.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
No no, the big shows like death note or bleach are overrated. Usually these tend to be dramatic or soap-opera like.
I agree with Setelee that comedy anime is not enjoyable and very high on cliche.

Also, sure there is probably enough books and movies to satisfy your needs for the same kind of story or depth that you will never even see the appeal of anime, because they cater to many genres and needs, but often are not easily found or overhyped.

Anime draws heavily from their manga and there is a lot more profitable yield in that realm I've found.

If you think about it, who makes anime?
People that failed to make a solo career from their story writing or manga and had to join forces with other losers like these to adapt already existing media. Of course, I won't disregard creative exceptions, which there is quite a few of.

Many people don't realise how funding works in Anime business. Big companies give some money for the first few episodes or for the first half of the season. Then they air it and gauge popular reception, if it's low then they cut funding and the rest of the story is never finished. That's how most of the anime tries to stay profitable. Catering to popular needs, fan servicing and repeating patterns that were proven to be successful in the past.
In that case, what anime shows have you enjoyed? Maybe they will prove enjoyable for those of us who have a hard time getting into it.

Sid99

Redshirt
Local time
-->
In that case, what anime shows have you enjoyed? Maybe they will prove enjoyable for those of us who have a hard time getting into it.

I recommend mushi-shi wholeheartedly. That show, if any, seems to be an INTP thing. And even if that last statement was not accurate, I still recommend you watch it. It will start off slow, but bear with it. It is episodic, but it has gems among its ranks.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->

Agree with blarraun, here are my recommendations:

kemonozume
ping pong the animation
now and then here and there
planetes
paranoia agent
cromartie highschool
shinsekai yori
shigurui
ghost hound
serei no moribito
kaiba
texhnolyze
haibane renmei
evangelion
kemonozume
ping pong the animation

Local time
-->
Agree with blarraun, here are my recommendations:

kemonozume
ping pong the animation
now and then here and there
planetes
paranoia agent
cromartie highschool
shinsekai yori
shigurui
ghost hound
serei no moribito
kaiba
texhnolyze
haibane renmei
evangelion
kemonozume
ping pong the animation

Now and then here and there is my fav anime of all time <3333
Evangelion, Texhnolyze, kemonozume and kaiba are also great
as for planetes and shugurui I recommend u read the manga instead

Local time
-->
And I agree with what blarraun said. most of the popular anime are overrated or lack substance. Ironically, I'm considered an anime snob by my friends who watch anime because of this

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Given your interests (that I am aware of) I would say, start with :

1.Neon Genesis Evangelion (this is one of anime masterpieces, if you don't enjoy this one then I have to admit that at least for me, not a lot of other shows get better or as good as this one, so maybe anime is just not for you)
2.Perfect Blue
3.Tokyo Godfathers

Mushishi is great too.
I have yet to watch Texhnolyze, it's on my list so it's possibly nice.
Ironically, I'm considered an anime snob by my friends who watch anime because of this
True, I tend to avoid discussing such stuff irl, because it puts people off somehow.
Few of my friends transcended the stage of development I call the steins gate stage :p. So they can tell by now that both steins gate and psycho pass are inferior in their taste. (This is not completely serious and only meant to make fun of people who hold pseudo-deep anime in high regard-snobbish comment of mine)

Top Bottom