• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Western Work Ethic

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 12:25 PM
-->
Okay, so I recovered a bit from the California jet lag and currently de-briefing the peeps here in our University.

There's something gnawing in mind about the whole trip:

I CAN'T KEEP UP!

It's quite a refreshing yet worrying change of pace since back here at home it's the people I work with who can't keep up with me. It came to a point that I'm the one requesting timeouts and coffee breaks.

Anyways guide questions:

1. What is your general work routine on rest/ work?
2. What drinks or food do ingest to keep up with each other?
3. How do you relax?

Okay I prefer the more relaxed American work ethic if possible. German work ethic scares me :ahh:

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 9:25 PM
-->
You need to triple your caffeine intake. The US consumes three times more caffeine than the philippines.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
You need to triple your caffeine intake. The US consumes three times more caffeine than the philippines.

Lol :D

I remembered the words of wisdom of the US University lawyer that I worked with:

"There's always room for more coffee"

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:25 AM
-->
Did you just ask about work ethic on an INTP forum? :rolleyes:

Anyway, to me, it's about mindset and just getting used to it. It's about thinking in terms of getting things done, as opposed to just showing up for the required number of hours.

Things like alcohol have to be avoided, though.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 2:25 PM
-->
For me, it's about wanting not to have to stay back after business hours are over.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Did you just ask about work ethic on an INTP forum? :rolleyes:

Anyway, to me, it's about mindset and just getting used to it. It's about thinking in terms of getting things done, as opposed to just showing up for the required number of hours.

Well INTP's excel at being sounding boards and idea generators so I just hope I get something out of your collective P-ness.

Things like alcohol have to be avoided, though.

Yeah, I think the stuff is better used for cooking recipes or social events.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 1:25 PM
-->
Don't forget to visit an In N Out burger chain when you get the chance, srsly you won't regret it.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 1:55 PM
-->
Nothing motivates me like the prospect of having to stay back late. The headphones go in, walking becomes running, and idiot co-workers better get out of my way.

Caffeine is good up until a point, it actually hurts your functioning when you have too much.

ZombieHitler

Local time
-->
Smoking weed help me relax a lot, sometime alcohol as well as working out and stuff.

It just helps me let go, and clear my mind. Sure, I've meditated and everything and it doe help but not as much as drinking, and toking; this from someone who used to be a bit of a health freak. I am also sort of a vegetarian and I care a lot about my diet which helps with your mood and mental acuity and then as well, doing yoga help a lot. I just bought a bunch of yoga video to do at home, it really help with relaxing.

I find that weed help me let go of a lot of stress altogether (in a really noticeable way) and then, it helps me re-frame thing and overall I find it just really therapeutic to me and my state of mind. It just help me enjoy life more. But of course I have some mental health issues so perhaps that is why. It is nothing serious but I have some emotional issues, stress problems/traumatic kind of thing.

I guess it's wrong to supposedly condone something thought of as illegal, but I guess it's because I do not honestly think there is anything wrong with it. The fact that it is still illegal is just absolutely ridiuclous.

ZombieHitler

Local time
-->
Lol :D

I remembered the words of wisdom of the US University lawyer that I worked with:

"There's always room for more coffee"
I kinda think that's why you need to get your priorities in order and find what you love to do, and let your motivation come from a place of enjoyment and love, in a sense "following your bliss" otherwise you have to over rely on unnatural mean like coffee and such.

I am really addicted to coffee now, it helped me get through a lot of thing in the past or handle keeping up with everything because I did not have the energy, but it' had a lot of negative emotional impact on myself and contributes sightly to depressive feelings and the like (anger too, numbness, apathy from coming down)

I was in situations where I was forced to meet and keep up with demands that were not what I had desired from myself though, and thus It was unnatural to me. I suppose I was surrounded by lots of type A personalities, and felt as though I myself too had to be a Type A kind of person. If you look at the description of Type A though, it' like totally the 'cheese chasers' if you get my gist.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Well INTP's excel at being sounding boards and idea generators so I just hope I get something out of your collective P-ness.
I should note that that was tongue-in-cheek. I don't really believe in the myth that INTPs are lazy.

As a side note, P-ness is a great word.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
@zombiehitler:

How did you make the leap from western work ethic to alcohol and weed?? :confused:

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Standard method of coping seems to be drinking excessive amounts of caffeine at work to supplement energy levels, then binge on drugs on the weekend to 'unwind'.

Alternatively you can try getting to bed early, exercising and eating healthy to maintain energy levels.

Enjoying your work is a plus, if you really love what you do then the work itself is energizing. Basically you just need to figure out a way to maintain your energy levels throughout a given work day.

Motivation to finish early (or not-late) is useful too, I guess.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
^this

Also, tea > coffee

Regardless, if you rely on caffeine, you're doing it wrong.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
@Rb and @happy

Yeah I think I should exercise some more. Getting a little flabby again.

davidintp

Local time
-->
I'm German and Germans work very efficiently and focused while we're at the office. When we come home we spend time with our families. A lot of Americans, on the other hand, see everything in life as a job. They work long hours and when they come home they work out or work on a side business.

The first time I've noticed it was when I played soccer with Americans. The game wasn't about having fun, more about "getting good at it." It's always about being the very best at what you do. That's just my experience. Life in America generally revolves around work whereas in the rest of the world life revolves around family, friends, and vacations. Fortunately,, due to globalization, a handful of Americans are beginning to value Europe's generous vacation time. Work for this handful is no longer the #1 thing in life.

majohnso

Local time
-->
2. What drinks or food do ingest to keep up with each other?
3. How do you relax?

Okay I prefer the more relaxed American work ethic if possible. German work ethic scares me :ahh:

trying a couple of the questions

i have tried eating less carb, and ensuring my lunches are very light, so i dont get mid day slumps - this really helps

also, going for a short walk at lunch
going for a short bathroom quiet break, and just sitting

i would also look to how you are prioritising tasks

Top Bottom