• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The worst gifts you've ever gotten

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 7:15 AM
-->
Aftera heated argument over whether or not I should be able to pick an instrument to learn, or take up the guitar as he did, my father frdgingly agreed (being the free spirited hippy type) that it wasn't his place to make these decisions for me, and that he won't force me to do anything against my will. I chose to play percussion.

After six months of passionate practice I was pleased with my choice. On my birthday he splurged more money on me than he ever had before by a very large margin, on a guitar and associated gear. I still have it, and still haven't played it. I feel guilty all the time about it, but won't pick it up out of both defiance and disinterest.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 7:45 AM
-->
Actually, the worst gift I've ever received was when I got food poisoning on Christmas Eve.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:45 PM
-->
I don't think I got any bad gifts, I got many negative reactions to my lack of appreciation for gifts I didn't really expect.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 5:45 PM
-->
*just sold the TV for $50 more than what it was bought for on Black Friday*

Sweet. Now you can buy a bigger one! (hee)

Now... How do I use this money to force these people into a genuine, meaningful interaction that isn't based on a #!*%($^ dollar value?
Give it to me, I'll figure something out.

What'd you do to it? :eek:

There are some things that must not be spoken aloud.

However, its primary cause for demise is likely that it was potted in crappy soil, and I was so distracted I forgot for a week that it would need to be watered. It was also sitting in a work environment far away from windows, and the tag says "direct sunlight" on it.

And then there is my Charlie Brown factor. :p

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:45 PM
-->
C.S. Lewis "Mere Christianity"

and

"Reconnecting with my Catholicism" by <I never checked>

Gifts from my parents. Pretty distressing, like being gay and getting a copy of "How to pick up women" from your Mom.

tvrgvryen

Ex regixie
Local time
-->
I didn't take these odd gifts negatively or personally; instead, I found them rather comical. In elementary school, my older brother got me a video cassette of The Three Little Pigs and not only was the footage of poor, old quality but it was also in a foreign language. My mother once gave me a box of clementines from the market, calling it a Christmas gift. Last year, my father handed me a big sponge in the shape of a square that resembled the form of Spongebob Squarepants. He suggested that since he hadn't had the time to do it himself, that I should add the animation character's physical features on the material.

Reality is Optional

Social Rebel
Local time
Today 2:45 PM
-->
Gift cards to clothing stores. I would always secretly give them to my older sister. For a birthday present once when I was 9 (I think) I got a plaque that had all the rules of the house carves into it.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Well, I got a bag of Heath Bar M&Ms from one kid, and nothing from another who claims he "forgot it was Christmas" and promises to buy everyone presents this week.

The hilarious part is that the eldest, the INTP kid, bought me a scarf to wear, which is actually nice. The bar was set pretty low, admittedly, but A+ for effort considering he outdid the two F kids.

(For background, their ages are 15-18 and two of them can drive.)

Top Bottom