• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The ultimate purpose of intelligence?

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
Since live by itself have no meaning (le wild Nietzche appears) but the one we choose, what do you guys think intelligence should have as goal, or none?

:cthulhu:

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
fuck and survivre. Everything else is entertaining caused by boredom due to lack or satisfaction of first two principles.:p

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:03 PM
-->
Aristotle argued that knowledge should be a virtue, and that this virtue should be used to live a life of well being. Quote:

What we need, in order to live well, is a proper appreciation of the way in which such goods as friendship, pleasure, virtue, honor and wealth fit together as a whole. In order to apply that general understanding to particular cases, we must acquire, through proper upbringing and habits, the ability to see, on each occasion, which course of action is best supported by reasons. Therefore practical wisdom, as he conceives it, cannot be acquired solely by learning general rules. We must also acquire, through practice, those deliberative, emotional, and social skills that enable us to put our general understanding of well-being into practice in ways that are suitable to each occasion.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 3:03 PM
-->
The ultimate purpose of intelligence? It's there to empower us to survive and create a better life for our offspring.

Somewhere along the line though, that notion got forgotten in a global game of Chinese whispers, and now the consensus is that it's there to leverage our ability to earn bits of paper that we all agreed are inherently valuable; with the ultimate goal of dying in possession of as many slips of paper as possible.

Unfortunately though, it's impractical to carry around a great big pile of paper everywhere we go. So, people decided to start using this evolutionary trait to create large, metal, mobile death traps; inefficient piles of bricks/metal/glass/timber/other; and other such wondrous creations, to be used to display how many slips of paper they have.

More recently though, this unparalleled evolutionary advantage is being used to find new ways to pass electricity through little bits of metal as a way to generate even greater stacks of paper.
(There's even a primate out there now who has 90 million of these slips of paper, which he got from passing electricity through bits of metal.)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
the ability to adapt to a changed environment, not covered by pure instinct, is the obvious advantage humans have over apes and other mammals. so apparently we are meant to travel the stars and inject out dna into various black holes, alternate dimensions, the next big bang, etc. i feel pretty stupid because adapting to the mess created by other humans, from social ritual to bureaucracy, is the least of my abilities. adaptation to environment is by definition extroverted though. so what is the purpose of introverted intelligence? secondarily using extroversion to adapt our environment to support our own intrinsic potential. primarily culturing our own potential. what? how? i have difficulty seeing it clearly. introverted purpose must be an internal completion. its essence is probably just a deepening and widening the reach of self-awareness for the hell of it. its transcend and include, how parts come together into wholes, so the heart of life and evolution.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:33 PM
-->
There's the boring evolutionary answer I guess.

Then I'd probably favour something like predicting and preventing extinction level threats.

Then enslaving the sun and all the perks associated with practically limitless energy.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
well it seems like only option for humans really. After robots take all work you have to put humans attention somewhere. Given that we don't kill ourselves before this will happen.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:03 PM
-->
We should go to a new planet and start new intelligent civilizations and become their gods :cthulhu:

Too much effort, I'll play Sims or Spore instead.

Anyways, if we're going for a purely biological take on the matter then yeah, Intelligence's purpose to provide survival and sexual advantages.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 8:03 AM
-->
If it has intelligence(of the kind we are familiar with) then it make it own purpose.
Actually "purpose" is not a an attribute of intelligence, intelligence can not "have" a purpose by definition of purpose , purpose is a subjective thing you perceive, it is only a tag.
If I take a white leopard and put him in a red light from my perspective it will look to me like a red leopard, but the leopard did not change at all, he is a leopard that is an attribute , he has fangs that is an attribute, he is scare this is just what I view, I make him scare not that he is scare.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:03 PM
-->
There is no ultimate purpose to intelligence. Life drives itself absurdly in the face of entropy and we are nothing but reluctant DNA vessels. The human mind is in constant existential conflict as it struggles to reconcile mindless life propagation and preservation with its inflated sense of intelligence.

Cockroaches, rodents, bacteria and viruses will survive. We will not, because "intelligence".

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
To create better ways of harvesting energy.

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Today 1:03 AM
-->
If it has intelligence(of the kind we are familiar with) then it make it own purpose.
Actually "purpose" is not a an attribute of intelligence, intelligence can not "have" a purpose by definition of purpose , purpose is a subjective thing you perceive, it is only a tag.
If I take a white leopard and put him in a red light from my perspective it will look to me like a red leopard, but the leopard did not change at all, he is a leopard that is an attribute , he has fangs that is an attribute, he is scare this is just what I view, I make him scare not that he is scare.

Hmm, interesting. Like the purpose of intelligence is being free of any purpose, trascent the primal way to see the world by instincts and evolution to see it by your own way...

Idk if that wasn't what your really ment, but that's what I tought of it.

And no (for the latter posts), intelligence =/= life. Life is meaningless. Intelligence may not. That's why I created the thread.

*Nietzche likes this*

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
What is intelligence? Its the ability to get more answers right (from other) from a pool of infinity random questions.

I don't get the question... The purpose of intelligence (for humans) is to rise to the top of the hierarchy chain.

Local time
Today 6:03 AM
-->
to fulfil the universe's ancient unconscious yearning for the existence of fully fitted kitchens with astonishingly silent drawer closing mechanisms and internet ready refrigeration units

?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't think one should suppose we have to commit to a unified purpose. Then we would all just be ants in an ant hive. The gist of it is: craft a purpose for yourself and use your intelligence to fulfill that purpose.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
To take one to further heights of creative experience; the manifold layers of experience reflecting and contorting amongst one another in the creation of ne'er before seen patterns of phenomenlogical effect. That one should tap into the potential inherent within every particle of reality and grow forwards in a process of becoming. That one is a repeatable unit, flowing outwards through the grasps of space and time. Ever closer to the mind of all, the universe, of God, yet growing laterally as immenent delivery of will.

And sexbots.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
Why life with some grandiose purpose is always paint in better light than one without any or one with tiny goals? Lets choose some abstraction and make totem of it. Everyone is religious zealot one way or another. Sigh.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:03 PM
-->
To be harvested for data by the ultimate creators. They're way smarter than humans and made fractals and consciousness. Reality is just a simulation designed by the ultimate mathematicians. Intelligence just tries to help the animal live as long as possible, that's why it's a fluid term or why there's "multiple intelligences" now. It's not just the one thing. It can't be too one or the other. Just the right amount. It can't use too much selfishness because it wouldn't fit the right data for the encountered pattern. Free will is an illusion.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Why life with some grandiose purpose is always paint in better light than one without any or one with tiny goals? Lets choose some abstraction and make totem of it. Everyone is religious zealot one way or another. Sigh.

Here's one: life with grand(iose) purpose is felt by the individual in a manner which is higher than that of a smaller life; one literally is living a better life when it's true.

There is something to said for the smaller things because everything exists as a unity unto itself; the higher is in the lower.

So one can find the beauty, which is power, which is reality, which is... a reflection of all when we remember that the universal is imbued in all.

We reach towards stars by reachings towards the reaches of the mind. We find in our own experience something higher.

This is just an expression of things as great; everything exists as a totality and a minisculity and an intermediary, and is relative to its own location the most important object in existence.

Yes, you are the most important person in existence. But only you readings this. Remember, what you are is not just a person but the interface between an organism and its environment. Consciousness is an interface.

Which means that what we experience is of a lower nature dimensionally than all of reality. There are infinite minds continuously flowing into one another with bands of increased resonance. |_|___||___|_|_|||___|__|

What does that mean?

It means you are you, great or small, and certainly both depending on your view.

But what else are you?

A reflection, of ____.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
...Yeah. Right.

It was a well-structured post. Typologically, I've used the quote of your previous post as the Ni, then gone through each of the other 7 functions and ended up hinting at mergings. It did nothing for you?

DoIMustHaveAnUsername?

Local time
-->
Teleological purpose? Nothing. And even if there's one, that's purpose itself doesn't have teleological purpose. Even if that purpose has one, and we go on this way, we end up in infinite regress never meeting an ultimate, or we stop and accept ultimately it's meaningless, even the ultimate purpose. There is no other option.
Purpose that we can give? More or less, anything we want, I guess.
Purpose that we 'should' give? That's tricky. What do we make of 'should'? Do we call normative morality now? They doesn't seem to heed my call. So no answer. The question makes presuppositions that 'should' even make sense without a specific target. And we can't have a target here, because the should is about making a target itself.
I believe, i am being extremely unclear? Sorry.

Viscosity

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Intelligence is an ability to decipher sensory information and recognize patterns which permits us to predict the future... We may use intelligence to fulfill the conditions of our biological drives (which differ in type, number, and frequency of expression in different organisms).

Maybe we could say that each and every drive uses intelligence to fulfill its own requirements with or without the consciousness of the agent. So, where a drive expresses itself, it "hijacks" intelligence, narrows its possibilities to its own parameters ("concentrates" or "makes a filter" out of the ability) thereby shutting out information that is unrelated to its interests, and configuring to a shape more sensitive to the juicy information. Of-course, not all information it pushes out of its periphery lacks value or resourcefulness to its own requirements, this is what ignorance is, and, further, certain information might be required for other drives, at a different time frame, which is what we can call being short-sighted, or being dominated by a drive, which self-awareness and memory deals by conditioning concentration.

Going a bit further... Drives can get weaker over time, I mean, we could exist in circumstances where those drives lack any of that information which they adapted into scouting for, which leads to fatigue, so, over time, naturally, energy is conserved and the drive slowly fades away, and with it, the intelligence which grew up by it (we can call this degeneration). I mentioned that different organisms have a different structure of drives, and I think it would be fair to say that, organisms that are more closely related to each other generally have more or less similar structures, and thus, produce cultures, or a set of strategies, to the best of their ability, that suits their natures (think "culture shock").

We can also consider people who have a large number of drives and consider that, we do not always exist in ideal circumstances for each and every, or even any, of them. Since I assumed these drives all share the property of frequency and intensity (contraction/relaxation), and that external circumstances may not align at their appropriate time frames, or even be relatively hostile, it follows that a lack of planning and self-awareness, or otherwise, an inability to adapt due to different "drive structures", would lead to a very turbulent state of energetic constitution (e.g. mood disorders).

Viscosity

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Speaking about drives, I think I really need to write shit out regularly. If I don't do that for a while I go a bit nuts. Anyway, the purpose of MY intelligence is the recognition of my circumstances and the application of strategies that lead to my benefit (and by extension, the benefit, and the detriment of others). I ain't that smart or as focused as I would like to be though.

TransientMoment

_ _ , - _ , _ -
Local time
Today 12:03 AM
-->
So that we can actually move. I think people tend to forget you actually need intelligence - albeit on a primitive level - to move around. I believe there are many other purposes, of course. I can't consider one of them to be the "ultimate" purpose since all of them would have equal relevance in my book. Of course, when you ask for "purpose" you must also ask "whose purpose". The word "purpose" means something is designated for a specific end. It has to be designated by someone. You? God? Your neighbor? Who?

Top Bottom