• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

40 k lore

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 12:55 PM
-->
Any body else here a fan of warhammer 40 000?

pqlksj2en3351.png

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:55 PM
-->
ORKS IS DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 3:55 AM
-->
the age of Trump is over
the time of the Biden has come

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:55 PM
-->
I enjoy the theoretical side of it, I don't read the books or follow any of the official sources of lore but I watch the videos by Arch.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:55 AM
-->
I guess I'm an anti-fan. The warhammer/wh40k fandom in my country is mostly comprised of religious fanatics and bigoted sexist/homophobic nerds so I started to hate it as a whole.

I tried to play the tabletop rpg a few times and always found myself in a group of god fearing, untinking cavemen who thought it's amazing that their characters can't read, don't know any technology only pray to "god" that it works and that 90% of what one would call common sense is hidden behind "forbidden lore" that one has to join the inquisition to know. One GM said the fact that plants need water to grow is an information so obscure that it's basically impossible to learn.

Meeting other races is forbidden, your character can be killed and tortured for even knowing about the 'xenos'. Exploring the world is heresy. Doing anything interesting is heresy. What you are encouraged to do is killing your kind or xenos, crime, plotting, politics or generally serving the emperor or the tech-god.

Looking from outside the universe is too nihilist and religious without balance. It's an americanized and fetishised vision of medieval masculinity and fanaticism.

Maybe the eldars are ok, world-ships are cool, too bad you can't play the eldars cos everyone is obsessed with the most boring faction - the empire of man.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Interesting perspective, i've never met a fan in the flesh, well, not since being into it at least, so I have little to contribute from a sociological perspective. maybe in the cities here?

But yeah the examples you name sound like a bunch of unimaginative hicks.

I don't care much for politics or fandom or whatever. dont know if ill ever have enough money to buy and play with the models, or the inclination for that matter. maybe as an idle curiosity?

Been into solely the lore for about a year(or two? memory shite) now, I like the scope of the universe and the vast amount of visual art and literature that has been created for it. There are interesting planets and scenarios, interesting characters... concepts such as lawless asteroid ports and the underhives have great fictional scope, and as a writer, I like stealing ideas from wherever I can like a greedy vulture pecking at a pig's innards.

the mechanicus in itself is a very interesting idea, an org based on tech that is fundamentally retarded by religious doctrines. ORKS. The drukhari are sadistically creative. the tyrranids sufficiently alien. the squats are extinct, alas, but one can always play Deep Rock Galactic for some space dwarf action.

well, ofc it gets corny, and the ceramic mutants can be quite predictable at times.

I have recently started reading the warhammer fantasy side of things, and they prove to be interesting worlds in and of themselves, especially the skaven.
skaven3.jpg

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:55 AM
-->
I like this fan-animation of wh marines. It's less than 10 minutes and densely action packed.
Gives me inspiration for designing space/boarding warfare.

Rook

enter text
Local time
-->
Yeah, i've seen that series, a masterpiece and sadly not to be continued iirc. the tension, the mystery and the graphical art is superb.

VegieGirl

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:55 PM
-->
I guess I'm an anti-fan. The warhammer/wh40k fandom in my country is mostly comprised of religious fanatics and bigoted sexist/homophobic nerds so I started to hate it as a whole.

I found something similar. Brother is into it and played a couple of times with him and his friends growing up, all seemed pretty normal but moved away for uni, and all the WH40k fans at the board game groups are as you describe :(

Read a couple of the novels though, didn't mind them.

Top Bottom