• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Spot the Fake Smile

FrostFern

Local time
Today 2:36 PM
-->
17/20

After carefully studying the answers I think the main difference between the genuine smile and the fake smile occurs at the end of each clip. For the genuine smiles the part of the cheek directly below the eyes stays tense for a little while after the corners of the mouth relax. If the upper cheeks relax before the mouth relaxes it's fake.

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
Today 11:36 AM
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
I got 14/20. The easy ones were the happy smiley moved up to the eyes smiles. The dorky looking people with the minimal smiles threw me because sometimes they can give shy smiles that look like that! Sigh. Neat test. Agree I will be contemplating people's smiles now, lol. :p

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine
17/20

After carefully studying the answers I think the main difference between the genuine smile and the fake smile occurs at the end of each clip. For the genuine smiles the part of the cheek directly below the eyes stays tense for a little while after the corners of the mouth relax. If the upper cheeks relax before the mouth relaxes it's fake.

Agreed. This threw me since the test said to pay attention to the smiles and not the people's faces after the smile. I did what I was told and only went by the smiles, lol. :p

NothingTodo

Local time
-->
15/20
Are all these good ratings normal or some intp thing.:twisteddevil: Intps see all

Alice?

Local time
-->
Eh, 18/20.
I looked mostly at the eyes and the expression after the 'main' smile was complete. It seemed to me that the expression on the people with genuine smiles face's generally took longer to go back to a neutral state than the faces with (I accidentally typed 'feet' here... how odd) fake smiles.

Edit: Aw, Frack. I just noticed that I repeated pretty much what @FrostFern said, 'cept they said it better. :o

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:36 PM
-->
You got 20 out of 20 correct!

Woot!

Eyes and forehead.

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
wow thanks alot buddy now i have something to do for the next couple of days and ive learned that spanish people are greedy high testosterone douche bags who prefer a 37-13 euro ratio.

i learned i scored 50 on female brain (ima guy) and that im gonna practice reading peoples mood by eye contact now ahhaha and find out if peoples eyes are genuine are not cant wait for school tommorow field test psychology tymez

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
wow thanks alot buddy now i have something to do for the next couple of days and ive learned that spanish people are greedy high testosterone douche bags who prefer a 37-13 euro ratio.

i learned i scored 50 on female brain (ima guy) and that im gonna practice reading peoples mood by eye contact now ahhaha and find out if peoples eyes are genuine are not cant wait for school tommorow field test psychology tymez

Social Science is exhilarating to say the least :elephant:

Shatokan

Newest Hostile
Local time
Today 1:36 PM
-->
15/20
I can't really believe it'd be that hard to spot a fake smile for anyone. I always found it quite easy and they tend to annoy me. Either smile genuinely, or don't smile.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
18 out of 20. Better than I expected. I kept thinking, "Why can't a smile be faked?" All I have to do is make sure my eyes get into it.

Himself

The Mad Stork
Local time
-->
16/20. My four errors were split between genuine and fake. My decisions were highly intuitive -- I went off a gut judgment on each and every one. I'm gratified to confirm its relative accuracy!

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 9:36 PM
-->
You got 10 out of 20 correct

Is this smiley fake:)?

Pants

Local time
-->
12/20

I got 2 of the 3 non-white people wrong and 4 of the 7 girls wrong. Should I be embarrassed? Probably. Three of those 4 girls, I thought they were really smiling at me :$. I scored 8/11 on white males: 73% compared to 60% overall. Lordy, I need to branch out socially.

Mike72

Mike72
Local time
-->
10/20...

Wasn't fun, interesting or enjoyable, but I still did it to get my results... 10/20... :P Lol, I stink at this.

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
Bah, they're all fake! What's a smile out of context?!

Anyways, I did try to do it honestly, although I went through the test if as fast as I could and got... 9/20. I did a lot better in the eyes test, though. But I guess it just confirms that I'm more of an auditive person than a visual one, if that makes any sense.

Maverick

pragmatic perfectionist
Local time
Today 9:36 PM
-->
11/20 though I used eyes for discrimination but also kept an eye for how fast does it go off.

FrostFern

Local time
-->
I got 14/20. The easy ones were the happy smiley moved up to the eyes smiles. The dorky looking people with the minimal smiles threw me because sometimes they can give shy smiles that look like that! Sigh. Neat test. Agree I will be contemplating people's smiles now, lol. :p
I think there can be some confusion on what constitutes a genuine smile. It didn't occur to me to classify the "shy" smiles as fake. I think a real shy/embarrassed smile can be reflexive even though it doesn't look the same as an amused smile. The test should really ask whether the person appears to be "genuinely amused".

WeAreTheStrange

shoryuken!
Local time
-->
10/20

... I answered mostly fake, I didn't look at the videos in some ( judged by the small preview they give you while the vid is loading) and i'm half asleep... lame excuses? Yeah, so? :p

lone_dreamer

intriguing
Local time
Today 10:36 PM
-->
17/20
I found what they did after they smiled helped deduce whether it was genuine or not, as well as which muscles contracted in their face and their initial facial expression. :smoker:

lafmeche

Inmate#2626
Local time
-->
17/20. I missed 4, 12, and 17. All three were fake (I guessed genuine). I think I did so well partly because of the way they were getting people to smile. Most of the genuine ones were visibly laughing while most of the fake ones were not. I think I gave 4, 12, and 17 a pass because they seemed (to me) generally more subdued than the rest of the pack.

16/20
Gah, I missed all the ones that I spend the most time debating over..
But I like this test; it's good practice. I'll probably be consciously questioning everyone's smiles from now on.. :phear:
Same here.

Edit: I went back and did it again, adding in their criteria for a genuine smile. This time, I only missed #20, which I may have been on the fence with the first time (I don't remember). I think I was fairly objective, though it's hard to be sure.

Interesting stuff. I'll be analyzing everybody even more now.

Magnetosphere

Local time
-->
15/20, not as good as I thought. I think I was focusing too much on the crinkles off to the side of the eyes.

typus

is resting down in Cornwall
Local time
Today 8:36 PM
-->
Did they find the probably expected correlations between being pessimist and recognizing fake smiles and between thinking one was good at finding smiles and turning out to be bad? I want to know!

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I took the test around the time this was originally posted and got 17. Just did it again and I got 8. :phear:

kinetickyle

Thinking man's idiot
Local time
-->
15/20 - not too bad. Most of the ones I got wrong were genuine smiles that I took to be fake. I guess that means that I don't trust people.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 8:36 PM
-->
When I looked at the mouth I got 8/20.
Did it again and looked at the eyes, got 17/20(real quick this time, looked for a shift in the eyes).

Dr. Manhattan

Local time
-->
15/20 meh

areilla10

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Oh man, I suck. 13/20! But I think I definitely would've scored MUCH higher if I had seen longer clips to get some of the context.

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
-->
18/20

I feel bad for thinking this but did anyone else think those people were really ugly?

Particle

Bazooka Tooth Dental
Local time
-->
8/20

I had no substantial handle for which felt real or not. I'm surprised other introverts do well at this.

jameslikespie

Local time
-->
I got 11/20. I was really distrustful and marked nearly all of them fake. Plus going back to the grimace made me mark some of them fake.

slyspy

hbp
Local time
-->
I got 13/20.

It got easier as it went on. The first four I got wrong but the last nine I got right. Three of them I thought were genuine and were fake and four of them I thought were fake and were genuine. I knew the ones I got wrong before I even scored it because I thought about it too much lol

hitode-kun

Undead
Local time
Tomorrow 5:36 AM
-->
8 out of 20

Is there something wrong with me?

kolebott

Redshirt
Local time
-->
18 out of 20, got 6 and 16 wrong, which were both genuine. I found that looking at the eyes helped, and looking t how fast and in which way they dropped the smile.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
-->
12 out of 20

I marked a lot of fakes when it was genuine

thoumyvision

Mauveshirt
Local time
-->
20/20

It really is all in the eyes, I didn't focus anywhere else.

mm1991

Local time
-->
15/20

All the ones I second guessed my gut on, I got wrong.

Top Bottom